main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Back in 2002-2003, I hadn't played KOTOR and it seemed that the future of Star Wars was the future.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The problem is, though:

a) people only want to read about the main characters from the movies and TV shows, or at least that's the unshakeable position of books and comics publishers
    b) everything is supposedly 'canon' so all the stories 'count'
    c) there's no way in the Corellian hells that LFL will allow anything other than one-off adventures with no consequences for the main characters from the movies and TV shows

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is true. Zahn has never done a collaborative project inside SW (aside from those short stories with Stackpole). Stover's other books are all standalones. Stackpole collaborated with Zahn and Allston, and he had his books in NJO, so I think he'd have been okay with doing big projects again, it's just that with his problems at Del Rey, it's exceedingly unlikely, unfortunately. Luceno can do standalone or collaborative with equal ease and skill, so if asked I'm sure he'd comply.

Seeing JJM do something as long-spanning as KOTOR (and the Lost Tribe novellas), I think I'd like to see him tackle a long-running series, whether by himself or as a collaboration. With his skill at writing, and Luceno's thing for canon references, I think the two of them could make a great pair-up. I'd never want to see a three-author, nine-book series again, but if they did, I think JJM-Kemp-Luceno could be a great trio (of course, it occurs to me that these are the only three authors we have confirmed as still writing SW books in the NEU).

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope that we get a series following the ST Jedi.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, I don't really expect to see the NJO again. But I didn't expect it beforehand either. The fun of the post-NJO before Disney bought Lucas was seeing how long it took for it to hit rock bottom.

6. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    What turned out to be the problem with this (one of the things) is that the supporting characters cycled instead of coming into the story, telling their part, and leaving. We get a Boba Fett side story that starts and stops over the course of the series. With the NJO model, we could get a side-story all in one shot - and it made more sense for the characters and flowed better.

anguirus2003 likes this.
  7. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Exactly. The authors weren't compatible. One wanted to write about Rogue Squadron/Wedge, another wanted to write about Boba, etc. DR should have stopped to see if everyone could work together and if they were on the same page with their characters, their vision for the series, and their political views. In the end, we got rotating stories where the authors would be, in theory, continuing the grand plot, but in practice were just continuing their own story from three books ago. It became like some kind of passive aggressive thing, or some kind of competition. You can really see it toward the end: Aaron and Troy arguing over the type of finale, and even more so when Karen writes the Mandos so powerful that they knee-cap Caedus in Revelation... and then Troy directly rebuts that by having our 'Dark Lord of the Sith' wipe out a whole team of them in the next book. It just didn't work.

I think the NJO just lucked out. As DigitalMessiah pointed out, it was a sort of lightning in a bottle thing. Yes, the NJO was incredibly ambitious, but if you looked at it and compared it to LOTF and FOTJ, it was also pretty unorganized. You have your five hardcovers that cap off each year of the series, but between them was chaos. Authors were dropping out, picking up extra books, losing books, etc. Four books between one hard cover, two between another. A trilogy here, a duology there and a bunch of stand-alones over here.
    What's more, there was still much of that thematic disorganization as well. Corran shows up and is a main character for two books, then is completely left behind for much of the series. Droma is introduced as a major new character, then abandoned. Rogue Squadron is brought in, but only comes back when authors want to play with them. Ikrit's prophecy is left untouched, so is the 'Insiders' idea that was introduced as a major plot line. Hell, The Final Prophecy is all about Tahiri and Corran right before the final book, and then they are essentially forgotten in TUF. So, the NJO still has some of the same issues as the series that follow it. It just worked, in the end. There were some amazing books in the series, and the chaos of the different authors actually, in the end, drowned out any one person's crazy point of view. I also think a large reason of its success was Luceno doing a bang-up job of concluding the series. I remember on these boards right before TUF came out- no one thought that all the series' loose ends could be tied up satisfactorily in one book. And then... they were.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just wonder if more compatibility/consistency would have happened if the authors had been given the following stipulations:

No, you may not focus on your pet characters;

And, no, you may not retcon previous characterizations.

...or if several authors would have just refused to write for Star Wars.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    What exactly is Stackpole's beef with DR? I've heard this before, but not exactly what it's about.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am not familiar with Stackpole's issues with Del Rey either, since I got into all of this after he had already left Star Wars.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He has problems with the editor at Del Rey.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i would like to see a new njo written like the old one for the NU

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know what problems?
    How do you mean?

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What'd be the point? It wouldn't give you the experience you had way back when reading NJO first time around.

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    well it would not be identical. It would not even have to have Vong. But it needs to be about the formation of a New jedi order, and have the same diversity of characters and a huge threat from somewhere to deal with. In the end they all come togather and defeat said threat through the force. kind of like the end of JAT

16. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    For some reason I like NJO Kyp Durron where I couldn't stand JAT Kyp Durron. I think it is because he is an author's pet in JAT and an actual antagonist in the NJO.

17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    right. i agree. and at the end he and Luke finally got along better and Kyp actually showed some maturity near the end.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Too bad trillions of red-shirts died for their epiphanies.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I didn't get the sense that JAT Kyp is an author's pet, he's just written by KJA.

20. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    when was Luke ever at fault ? Kyp was the one that destroyed a planet at a whim

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I assume he is referring to the NJO, and seems to be assuming that trillions wouldn't have died if Luke fully committed the Jedi to fighting on the front lines from day one?

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm assuming he's referring to Luke doing nothing more than giving Kyp a timeout after everything he did in JAT.

I need to crack JAT open because I don't even remember Luke being particularly disturbed.

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well that's because he's suffering the handicap of being written by KJA.

Edit: I dunno if WEG or KJA is to blame for this idea of the dark side corruption and the consequent abrogation of personal responsibility. The dark side made me do it.

Riv_Shiel and Cynical_Ben like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And bingo!

Which is why I dislike NJO - take it seriously and you end up in some very unpleasant territory. With no way out.

..... Which is why TUF remains the greatest escape trick in the EU-that-was.

(Seems odd there was no consequence to the politicians' mass betrayal of their constituents nor their hamstringing of the war effort too.)

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Idk, I take it seriously enough and I don't find it particularly unpleasant, and even if I did I find that there are several ways out.

I guess that's because I just don't agree with what I think you're saying in regards to the death toll, Jedi action and epiphanies.

Riv_Shiel and DigitalMessiah like this.