main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST A Day in the Courts of Kreyton

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Moon Labutto, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016
    Title: A Day in the Courts of Kreyton
    Author: Moon Labutto
    Genre: Short Story
    Characters: Anglo Merrick, Liiren Xiese, Khal Kutto, Seranna Merrick, Elatri Merrick
    Time Frame: 13 years after the fall of the First Order.
    Rating: PG
    Summary: Liiren Xiese comes to Kreyton to warn King Anglo Merrick about a disturbance in the force.
    Author's notes: Just a quick introduction to some of my original characters. (This entry is still...under construction.)

A man dressed in a white flowing garment sat upon a throne, which was nestled against the wall at the back of the large hall. The Throne upon which he sat was raised, made of finely cut and fashioned slate, so that his face was hidden by a shadow, but the rest of him was perfectly visible. Upon his chest was emblazoned a golden phoenix, his shoulders were adorned with armor painted bright white with gold trim, and his shin guards bracers matched the shoulders.

Truly a king had never looked so immaculate or defined. The hall in which he sat, like the rest of his great castle, was carved out of the side of a slate mountain, tables and all. The sun filled the chasm and warmed the king. But he sat there silently, and on either side of him were six of his most trusted advisers, totaling twelve men and women with large grey hoods pulled about their heads, hiding their faces.

Before him were thirty armor clad men bearing Halberds and white armor trimmed in silver. Their Helmets covered their faces entirely. They stood in two lines of fifteen facing each other with a brilliant red and gold carpet running between them. To the King’s immediate left and right were his wife and daughter. His wife wore a brilliant red and gold dress, but had a gold headdress on that hid her face behind a thick gold mesh that only she could see through. His daughter was dressed similarly to him, but she wore a head dress identical to her mother’s and she visibly had a golden light saber in her lap.

Two men entered the hall, their boots echoing clicking and clacking noises as they walked. The first wore silver flowing robes and carried a silver staff. A silver screen covered his face. He walked ahead of the other man, an elderly man dressed in brown and white robes, a hood over his head that did not quite hide his face. He was not human, but he was a Iktotchi. When they finally reached the King they both bowed low.

“Who have you brought before me, herald?” The King asked.

“I, Herald of the North Quarter, bring before you Jedi Master Liiren Xiese. “ The herald rose from his bow and walked away, click clacking as he went. The Jedi looked up, viewing the King in all his majesty. The king looked down, his face still shaded. But he gripped the light saber by his side.

“Why have the Jedi come here. Haven’t they learned to leave the Living Order alone? We want nothing to do with you and your feeble New Republic. Kreyton prospers all on its own and its inhabitants are the happier for it. We do not want the Jedi dragging us down.” The King quarreled.

“With all due respect, great king, I do not come to quarrel. I come at the behest of the Council to warn you…” Liiren began gently with his exquisitely deep voice.

“Warn me! You…warn me!” The king bellowed. His outburst caused Liiren to jump. The King levitated off of his throne and lowered himself to the floor, the light now shining on his face revealing a pale white near human man with skin whiter than his own armor and brilliant red hair and black freckles. King Merrick wanted to be eye to eye with the Iktotchi for his next statement. But to his amazement the Iktotchi was just under eight feet tall, and with the King being barely five foot nine he found himself looking at the Jedi's robes rather than his eyes.

"Well then, you are a tall one, aren't you? No matter." Liiren held back his laughter as the Lord of the Greys levitated to meet his eye level. But Anglo caught the gesture and his blade whirred into action, finding itself right next to Liiren’s neck. Liiren’s face went from meek to dangerous. The council members cheered wildly at this defiant stance.
    “How dare you come into my house and threaten me! And then you have the nerve to laugh.” He raged, a wild murderous look in his eyes.

“Put that away.” Liiren said calmly. “I was threatening no one.”

“Then why have you come. We are fine without you!” The King bellowed again, the cheering continued.

I’ve come to inform you that the council has felt a great disturbance in the force, and that several of our most knowledged and skilled Jedis have had visions oof the disturbance. A powerful darkness it is and it appears that it may be heading here, to your beloved Kreyton. Do what you will, but your people are in danger and we are merely trying to help you.” The Kreytonians stopped cheering and looked at each other with great concern. Liiren continued, “Personally, I wouldn’t mind watching this whole puzzle you call a planet go up in flames with all of your people still on it.” Liiren sneered at The King. But the King, growing a respect for the Iktotchi's defiance, recalled his lightsaber’s blade.

“I have felt it. Yes…I have. But I am Anglo Merrick, Lord of the Greys, leader of the white knights, King of Kreyton, and the Chosen One of Oncallah! I am the most powerful being in the galaxy. No one will stand up before me.” Anglo boasted. The Jedi shook his head and bowed respectively. With that he turned around and walked away. But Anglo turned to shout at him.

“We are two-thousand Force wielders strong, Jedi! Nothing will get in the way of our way of life here. You hear me! Nothing!!!!!” But the Jedi just continued walking as if he heard nothing. After the Jedi was out of earshot one of the advisers approached the King.

"Lord, don't you think you were a little inhospitable? Even arrogant? This is not the way oof our people. The Jedi are our brethren after all." He said gently. "I fear you have misrepresented our people and have cast out a powerful ally." Anglo thought for a moment.

"No Kahl, I haven't. The Jedi do not hold grudges. If we get into trouble I trust they would rush to our aide, the same as we would to theirs. But we must keep our politics divided as long as we can. Do not forget the history surrounding the Clone Wars and how the arrogance of the Jedi cost the galaxy. They were to blind to see the noose tighten around their own neck, and I will not take a chance with our fledgling paradise that we've worked so hard for. I hope this new Jedi Order is different, but it is to soon to tell. For now, we must resist a direct alliance with them." Anglo thought for another moment. "I do appreciate your honesty old friend."

"My honesty and my life are yours, my Lord. I only pray to Oncallah that you are right." Kahl replied. "But might I offer a word of advice between old friends, and not as your advisor?" Anglo again thought for a moment.

"You may." He said

"I still feel that your attitude towards our guest is against the teachings of Oncallah. It may effect your flock and your own soul in a very negative way. I just want you to be careful."

"I understand your concern," Anglo said turning his back to his friend, "But that Jedi is not part of the Order! He is not part of our flock!" Anglo said angrily through his teeth. He paused and calmed down a little, because he knew Kahl meant well. Kahl, on the other hand was visibly taken aback by Anglo's near outburst. But Anglo continued, now that he was more calm.

"He does not abide by our teachings nor does he revel in our riches. He is not one of us and therefore he does not need to be treated as if he is one of us." Anglo thought to himself for a moment and looked over his shoulder. "Kahl, Dismiss the court. I am going to retire for the day. I have much to ponder." Anglo said, and he walked away.

"Yes, My Lord." Kahl said, his face still hidden by the massive hood over his head.

Merrick found himself later that day in his rest at the peak of the mountain, a place where he would commonly find himself when in deep thought, meditation, or prayer. Today, he was asking Oncallah for guidance. The room was open air, overlooking the towns and fields in the valley below him where his multi-racial subjects toiled to complete the day's work. It was a beautiful view and the room itself was massive. The decorations looked beautiful when touched by the orange of the setting sun, the gold trimmed white drapes and clean slate were imbued with the sun's radiance.

The rest's maw was lined with ornate pillars, every other one was a carving of Oncallah, the monotheistic god of the Living Order and Ultimate Lord to both the White Knights and The Greys. The rest of the pillars depicted Kretyon's very recent creation. The sun's warmth caressed the back of Lord Merrick's hair as he lay face down, on his belly, on the ground with his feet together and his arms stretching, open, towards the sun, his fingers spread as he reached for its warmth.

Within his god-trance, a form of guided spiritual meditation, his thoughts drifted to Kreyton's first day as a habitable planet, how he stood atop this very mountain, his followers numbering slightly less than two hundred force wielders. He remembered how he stated at the end of their day's long and harsh toil, that this mountain would be the epi-center of their new world. The memory ended with The Greys cutting the temple and castle, one building, from the very rock of this slate mountain using only the force, and they retired there for night, finally having fulfilled the wishes of Oncallah.

The slate floor was warm against the skin of his face. He realized this as Oncallah released him from the god-trance. It was a good memory that Oncallah had chosen to show him, one with much meaning. A smile slowly etched its way across his freckled face. Oncallah was pleased with Anglo's decision. Anglo's wife, Seranna, walked into the room silently, though she stopped in the doorway, smiling as she gazed upon her prostrated husband. His devotion always surprised her. She looked down and saw her husband's boots, saber, blaster, and armor on the floor.

This reminded her that this was a sacred place, her husband's personal temple and sanctuary. As a place of worship to Oncallah, it was required that one leave their shoes and foot wear, which where tainted with the outside world's corruption. It was a place of peace so one must leave their weapons. It was a place of harmony so one must not enter if covered in armor, or they would be repelling the graces of Oncallah. One must remove their face covers, for Oncallah would always wish to gaze upon her subjects.

She loosed herself of her shoes and head dress, her brilliant red hair running down her back like a wild fire spreading across a plain. Then she removed her dagger from inside her sleeve, smiling as she laid her items next to her husband's disheveled pile. Her bare feet left no noise in her wake as she slowly approached Anglo, her long red and gold dress dancing in the wind about her ankles. The moments it took to reach him seemed like hours to her, and her heart beat harder in her chest as she finally did make it to him.

Slowly she knelt next to him, and she ran her fingers through his hair. He responded by slowly siting up. His stocky frame was massive when compared to her short and slender body. He leaned over and kissed her on her forehead.

"My wife, my wisdom. I am glad you came. I need your advice." He said, gazing into her emerald green eyes.

"What is your bidding, my love?" She replied loosing herself back into his.

"The Jedi Council, how do you find it?" He asked. She looked away from him. She wasn't shocked or disgusted that his question was a serious one, but she had been hoping for something romantic to escape his lips. But she looked around the rest and was reminded of the endless devotion of her husband that she did so adore. A smile grew on her face.

"I find them in a similar situation to us. In an infant stage of their development. However, they are growing slower than they ought to be for the amount of responsibility that they are accepting from the Galaxy around them. They have much to benefit from an alliance with us and we have only problems and exposure to inherit from such an alliance. But even still we must support them in any way we can. The Jedi Order, by decree of Oncallah, is a brethren order to our own."

"You have communed with our Lord of this?" Anglo asked her discerningly.

"Did as you asked the question." She said, her smile widening with happiness and pride.

"My, how your abilities have grown over the last year. You certainly are the most powerful Seer in the Temple." His face beamed with pride, as he inched his lips to her face.

"I can only do my best." she replied, leaning in for the kiss. She felt the gentle wind lightly cutting through the thin fabric of her dress, and she could see it nipping at the tips of Anglo's own red hair. She closed her eyes. She could feel her heart beating heavy in her chest. And then...the Kiss. Her mind was as alight as the skies of Coruscant was on the eve of the end of the Galactic Civil War. As the kiss ended, Anglo scooped Serenna up in his arms and carried her from the Rest.

As he left the room there was a guard standing just outside the entrance way.

"Guard, please bring our effects to my quarters and leave them by the door. Also, please let Kahl know that tomorrow we will travel among the people." Anglo said. The guard gave him a short head bow.

"Yes, my lord." The guard said. He gingerly picked up Anglo and Serenna's effects and scurried down the down the hall to complete his objectives. Anglo slowly followed, with his giggling wife still in his arms.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    What's a courst? You wanna check your title is spelt correctly.

I found that to be quite a well written and well described piece.

The lack of space between lines turned out not to be impediments on this occasion.

You have clearly visualised what your Kreyton people are wearing to some great detail, and it shows. I read every word, so for me, there was not an over-abundance of terminology.

Tiny technical quibbles were raised, but that might be me over-thinking things. From previous armour references, I initially questioned how the sun warmed the king, but given how detailed your descriptions were, since you only described armour on his shoulders and shins, perhaps the stuff on the rest of him is not metal, and so the warming effect of the sun's rays would not be deflected away from him.

The wife and daughter were assumed to be standing until you put in that the daughter had her lightsabre in her lap. So at least she has a chair.

Oh, hang on; you have missed a quotation mark at the beginning of this. Easy typo. Anyway, I realise that The Force Awakens drokked with the way the Force works, but can disturbances be tracked now?

King Merrick levitating himself down in front of Liiren, I liked the way it was done, and since he can levitate, if he wanted to see the man eye-to-eye, he could have stopped himself descending once he arrived eye-to-eye; or if I had written that, landed on the floor, muttered "Hang on." and floated up the couple feet to get into position, "Okay, carry on. Now why have the Jedi come here?"

So, nice overall effort, its a good enough piece without my suggested tweaks. If I was a slave to logic, I'd have mentioned the wife's veil, but....we're fine.

8/10

3. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016
    Sorry, supposed to be Courts. I have some stuff to fix here, I'm noticing. I'll be adding to this one later today. Thanks for catching that, and thanks for the tips. I'll be playing with this one for a bit. I did write it with some haste and many interruptions since I am at work. I will alter the title when I am done revising it. I can't wait to get into the back story of the planet though. I think many will find it interesting.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  4. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016
    It would not have been tracked. The disturbance would have been felt and the council would have meditated on it until one of them had a force vision regarding it, hence him using the phrase, "It appears" rather than him be perfectly confident of that outcome. All established in the clone wars. That is a good point about the levitation in front of Liiren was a good point. I did the height difference to be comical, but I think your idea is better. But yeah, Thanks a ton for the 8 rating! not bad for being awake for nearly 20 hours straight before writing this.

Sith-I-5 likes this.