main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A day in the life...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Owen, Oct 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owen

Owen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 1998
    Gridlock. It always looks like gridlock, but for these two hours in the cold early day it really is. As I look down my now familiar line of traffic, I see the motionless tributaries trying to nudge their way into my frozen stream of vehicles. Does an extra inch here or there really make that much difference? Does it get you there that bit sooner? Do an extra few seconds really matter that much in the grand scheme of things?

If it were anywhere else the answer would almost always be no. But this isn?t anywhere else. Here it?s different, here you play by different rules. Here you set the rules.

The vehicles ahead slowly move on a few more inches. Their repulsors flaring up for a few seconds of thrust and then whining down again to a soft impatient hum. I do the same, not wanting to leave a gap for some sharp eyed cabby who?s convinced he could fit his turbo charged luxury tub of a cab into a two foot gap. The one just in front of me is bad enough. I really don?t want to be seeing the ass end of another one of those ugly things.

The blinding light reflecting off the chrome hull ahead of me, tells me that the sun has finally decided to join the rest of us in the waking world. It also tells me I?m going to be late, yet again. The chronometer on my dashboard confirms this, while also telling me that the temperature is rising, that my team lost yet again last night (I guess some things never change) and trying to get me to buy the latest in vacuum droids.

I have a look again at the papers on the seat beside me to take my eyes away from the morning light. Schedules, reports, quotations and a shopping list that I?ll never have time to get around to. I throw everything but this mornings schedule back into the dark leather case. A meeting with the Senator when I get to the office, whenever that is. Then back in front of the sub-committee in his place, which should put an end to that annoying little incident. Then a quick trip over to the Governor?s building to start another annoying little incident before heading back to the office to get ready for this afternoons special Senate meeting, to discuss some invasion I believe. Looks like someone else isn?t too bad at creating little incidents. Then a hop to orbit to sort some things out with the military, but mainly to avoid the Governor who should be hunting for my skin about that time. Then back down just in time for the Senate meeting to start.

As I put the sheet back in the case I look out at the endless line of metal and glass, stretching out before me as it floats above the surface, and sigh to myself. ?I wish I was still in bed.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.