A Destiny Delayed- AU JA- Thanks, shanobi! *COMPLETED1/08/04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by astroanna, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, all!

:)

Well, I read this plot bunny that shanobi came up with over on the Writer's Resource Forum, and it seemed a really cool idea, so I decided to try it...

Hope you all like, this is a slightly different take on the events of the JA series...

A FATE ACCEPTED

?You called me Padawan in the mine?, Obi-Wan said hopefully.

?You would have died for me?, Qui-Gon said, ?Your courage was extraordinary, even for a Jedi.?

Obi-Wan?s heart leapt. Was Qui-Gon going to ask him to be his Padawan? Were all of his dreams about to come true? It was almost more than he dared hope for.

Almost.

But then, Obi-Wan looked into Qui-Gon?s eyes, and his heart sank once more. There was appreciation and respect in them now, which for a long time was more than Obi-Wan had ever expected. But there was also a great well of sadness, and even pity in them. Obi-Wan knew what Qui-Gon would say before the words even left his mouth.

?You are a Jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and your place is as a Jedi Padawan. But it is not as my Padawan. I am truly sorry, Obi-Wan, but I don?t think I?ll ever take another apprentice.?

Obi-Wan lowered his head, ginger-colored lashes falling to conceal the tears forming in the bright, ever changing eyes; eyes that were the color of the sea after a storm, and which now held both pain and resignation in them.

?I understand?, Obi-Wan said quietly. He had accepted his fate already, and he silently admonished himself for having hoped for too much.

?Obi-Wan?, Qui-Gon began, seeing the look on the boy?s face, ?you will be chosen by another master. When we return to Coruscant, I?ll tell the council everything you did. You saved my life, Obi-Wan. You saved Bandomeer. Your place is with the Jedi.?

Obi-Wan looked up at Qui-Gon, sea-change eyes meeting midnight blue.

?My thirteenth birthday is in two weeks, Qui-Gon?, Obi-Wan said, and there was no bitterness in his voice, only a deep resignation.

?There is no time for me to be chosen by another master. You know this.?

Qui-Gon smiled, compassion lining every feature of the leonine face.

?Don?t worry, Obi-Wan. You will become a Padawan; trust me.?

Qui-Gon placed a reassuring hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder, then, picking up his travel case, strode towards the door. He turned back, eyeing Obi-Wan curiously.

?Aren?t you coming, Obi-Wan??

Obi-Wan nodded, making sure his voice was perfectly steady before he spoke.

?I just need to get a few more of my things together. I?ll catch up with you in a few minutes.?

Qui-Gon nodded.

?All right, but don?t take too long, our transport will be leaving soon.?

?I won?t be long?, Obi-Wan promised.

With that, Qui-Gon strode out of the room, and Obi-Wan was left alone. For a few minutes, he simply went around the room, making sure he had not forgotten anything. It was an empty exercise, however, for he knew that he had not. Before long, he had sat down on the bed, deep in thought, and try as he might to fight them, silent tears began to make their way down his face.

Because despite what Qui-Gon had just said, he was quite sure that his last hope of becoming a Jedi Padawan had, very literally, just walked out the door.

Thanks a bunch to shanobi and Arldetta!!

Feedback always appreciated!!

2. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    :eek: OW! Is this the one with you know who? :D Excellant beginning and can't wait for more.Soon?
  3. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    A beautiful beginning - but what else would I expect from you? Glad to see you're tackling a JA story from this angle.

Nice work, astro. Can't wait for more.

CYN
  4. ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master

star 4
    Wowsers - I can't wait! I've not read any JA books, so I'm looking forward to reading this!
  5. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
    Arggghh!!!

GREAT start, Rastro.

The angst in all the fics I'm following this week are just killing me!! [face_love] I'm such a glutton for punishment.

Bring it on.
  6. NyghtFyre Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice beginning astroanna! I look forward to future posts. I very much enjoyed the JA series and love reading stories set during that time period. Good Luck with your writing!
  7. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A lovely beginning, you've got me hooked. Hope there's more soon. :)
  8. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_shocked]

Wow, all these responses are amazing!

Obi-ew- I'm afraid that's not the plot bunny I'm doing....though I am considering introducing you-know-who into this story sooner or later....

You never know...

Though I think you do a much better job with Xan than I ever could!

Thanks a bunch!

Cyn- Oh, my gosh, a Cyn reply! [face_shocked]

Always a treat, thanks so much, Cyn!!

FAB- Yeah, I know how that is...I myself have only read the first two....

Hope I can live up...

Thanks, FAB!

Jovieve- Aren't we all... :D

Thanks!

NyghtFyre- Wow, a new reader! Welcome aboard, and thanks so much!

Jedi-Suzuran- Thanks so much, J-S!!

Wow, I've got a Padawan and her Master now!

Cool!!

Thanks so much, all!!

Well, I don't think I'll be able to update this right away, but I promise it'll be ASAP!!
  9. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Astro!

Great beginning! I saw this PB on Shan's thread and thought that it would be a great one for somebody to take over. I'm so glad you did! This promises to be a great fic!

Shaindl
  10. Arldetta Jedi Master

star 4
    OMG! I'm am soo incredibly sorry for not getting here sooner. [face_shocked]

Please, please, please forgive me! [face_beg]

Anyway, I love what you have done so far. :D I'm just curious as to who might pick up the Youth since Qui is still stubborn. Can't wait for the next installment!! :D

::eagerly sits back to wait for an update::

;) :D
  11. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Off to an awesome start you are :D Can't wait for more, and am very anxious to see who will take this sweet young thing for a padawan.

Great start astroanna :)

--Shan
  12. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    lovin' it so far! :) nice twist

bump^

~TJF
  13. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Shaindl- Why, thanks! I hope I can live up to your expectations...

Arldetta- Oh, don't even worry, hun, nothing to forgive! :)

Shanobi- *bows to the author of the infectious plot bunny* Thank you very much, Shan!

TJF- Thanks so much!

Well, I know you're all anxious, but I'm not sure when I'll get this updated...

Hopefully soon!

14. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
  15. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
  16. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, PadawanKitara!!

*bows to shan once again*

:D

OK, all, here's the next post...

Hope you all like...

A HIGH PRICE

The ship sped through hyperspace on it?s way to Coruscant. Being a public transport, it was hardly remarkable, being built for capacity, safety, and speed, but not for elegance. One lone figure of the hundreds occupying the ship simply sat in his comfortable but austere quarters, watching the lines of hyperspace go by, deep in thought.

//What is it about this boy that?s gotten under my skin?//

There was something about this child that was special, unique. He was unlike any child Qui-Gon had ever met before. Not only that, but it seemed to him that the Force had begun to link them spontaneously, an extremely rare occurrence by all accounts. At least, that was how it had seemed to him until?until Qui-Gon had rejected Obi-Wan, finally and irrevocably.

Qui-Gon sighed heavily. Ever since he had embarked upon his trip to Bandomeer, it seemed as though there was some connection between him and Obi-Wan, an unexplainable bond. He had used that bond to help the dying Arconans, even as he denied it?s very existence. He was amazed to find that he had begun to get used to having the boy?s bright presence within his own mind, and that he was even beginning to count on it. But when push had come to shove, he had not been able to let go of the betrayal of Xanatos and take Obi-Wan as his apprentice.

He could not suppress the involuntary shudder that ran through him at the thought of his former apprentice. The chill that had overcome him only deepened, however, as the image of the hurt in Obi-Wan?s eyes formed in front of him. He heard his own words ringing in his ears, taunting him.

You are a Jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and your place is as a Jedi Padawan. But it is not as my Padawan.

Qui-Gon sighed again. For as soon as he had said the words, the fledgling bond that had formed between him and the boy had flared for a moment, bright with the boy?s pain, then simply died. Qui-Gon was silently grateful that he and Obi-Wan had been given separate quarters on the ship, for he did not believe he had the strength to face the boy yet.

Standing and stretching, Qui-Gon crossed the room to the small com station that was mounted into the opposite wall. He had promised Yoda to contact him when he was on his way back to the Temple, and it seemed the present was as good a time as any. He had had quite enough solitude for the time being, anyway.

Before long, huge leaf-green eyes set within a wizened, ancient, face appeared on the screen in front of him.

?Master Yoda?, Qui-Gon said in greeting.

?Master Qui-Gon?, Yoda replied.

Although the calm demeanor the small green Master always wore had not changed, there was something like anticipation in Yoda?s eyes, and Qui-Gon did not fail to notice.

After several silent moments had passed, Yoda asked the question that he simply could not wait to ask any longer.

?Taken on a new apprentice, have you??

Qui-Gon suppressed the sigh that, once again, threatened to escape his lips.

?No, Master Yoda, I have not.?

Yoda?s pointed ears drooped, and a sadness filled the ancient eyes.

?Feared this, I did?, Yoda said after a number of silent moments. Qui-Gon looked into the ancient Master?s face, a quizzical expression on his own.

?Why??

Yoda looked back, the wisdom of many centuries lying within his gaze.

?Because, Qui-Gon?, he replied, ?meant to be your Padawan, the boy is. Let you stay separated forever, the Force will not.?

?I don?t understand?, Qui-Gon said.

?No, Qui-Gon?, Yoda replied, ?you do not understand. Because allow yourself to see the truth, you have not. But understand, you will, Qui-Gon. Only hope, I do, that the price of your understanding will not be too high.?

The transmission was cut then, leaving a very confused Jedi Master, once again, alone.

Ho
  17. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    Go on with your bad self Kung Fu Troll! :D Love seeing Qui get racked over the coals! More would be lovely! :)
  18. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    This looks great so far astroanna ! I will have to put it on my must read list. :)
  19. PaddyJuan Force Ghost

star 4
    wow, a great start. more?
  20. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Very, very nice - and compelling as original sin. What the heck is Yoda on about? What will be the cost that Qui-Gon can't bear?

Answers, astro - we want answers - and we want them now!!! :D

CYN
  21. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    :D :)

obi-ew- [face_laugh] Man, obi-ew, that's great!

*Pictures Yoda in the kung-fu stance of AOTC*

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thanks, obi-ew!

Sheila- Welcome aboard, and thanks!

PaddyJuan- Why thanks! :)

Cyn- *smiles sweetly* Answers? Answers to what? 8-}

<<What will be the cost that Qui-Gon can't bear?>>

Who said Qui would be the one paying?

Thanks, Cyn! :)

Thank you all!

22. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, just found this. Great so far, I can't wait to see where this goes.

In other words: more!
  23. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    the fledgling bond that had formed between him and the boy had flared for a moment, bright with the boy?s pain, then simply died.

Oh, that was a wonderful line! :( That man is so damn stubborn. Don't you worry sweetie - - someone wants you for a padawan, two someones actually, only one is too damn hard headed to admit it!

Can't wait to see what happens back on Courascant :)

--Shan
  24. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Arwen-Jade- Welcome aboard, and thanks! :) I promise I'll update ASAP!!

Shanobi- Why thanks so much, shan!

I'm so, so pleased you think I'm doing your great PB justice!

Oh, and I'm glad you liked that line, I did, too!

All this support is so great, you guys!!

YAY!!

:) :D
  25. Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi, AA! Great start. I read all the JA books, and since they're no longer publishing them, it's always a treat to read a JA fic. Looking forward to more. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.