A Destiny Delayed- AU JA- Thanks, shanobi! *COMPLETED1/08/04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by astroanna, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    PK- Thanks! :)

Obi-ew- Silly! You could never offend me! I appreciate all your help so much and I'm glad you're still enjoying this little effort of mine...(though it seems to be turning into a long effort, doesn't it? 8-}) Thanks, hun!

Shan- Thanks so much! Well, fingers crossed, but I can't promise anything about the next post quite yet! :)

RRFD- Thanks, and I don't blame you! :)

Thanks, all! :D
  2. Lurkalidth Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yo, AA--This sucketh not. Once again, you were way too harsh about your writing.

I immensely enjoyed how you wrote this. The scenario you sketched out was quite plausible--it did not feel like a plot device to get him away from the action. I also liked how the upswing in the rebels' fortune was portrayed as a gradual process. And your characterization of the OC is good--she doesn't come off as *too* perfect or a Mary Sue.

Brava!!!!

Now you've just got me on tenterhooks on what Obi-Wan will find inside.

Thank you for continuing/posting this memorable story. :D
  3. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Lurkalidth- [face_blush] As always, your support is what makes this whole writing thing worth it...

And I see you've been doing some writing yourself, missy...

:D

I knew you could do it!! I hope to read more from you...I expect it, in fact, because in my experience this writing thing kind of gets under your skin after a while... :)

"Hi! This is my first, and likely last attempt at an original post: I'm a reader, not a writer."

Yeah....I'm going to have to agree with the person who said that they had told themselves that once too....I did as well after my first go at this fanfic thing and then I ended up writing ever since...though I have to admit that a big part of that was the fact that I had some pretty cool people to encourage me along the way... ;)

Keep it up, girl, and thanks so much! :)
  4. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    That's way too foreboding, Astro. But he would know somehow if the worst had happened, I think. So something else is waiting. Great job - can't wait for more!

Shaindl
  5. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Shaindl- ;) Well, you've got good insights, but I think you'd better stick around to find out what's going to happen..

:D

A new post will be up ASAP, and as always I appreciate all of you guys and all your patience...

You're the best! :)
  6. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    Wonderful post astroanna. You upped the tension significantly and now we are all hanging off a cliff waiting to see what Obi-Wan will find when he gets back to Luminara and Qui-Gon. Keep 'em coming, you're doing a great job on this fic. :)
  7. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks a bunch, Sheila!! :) It's really gratifying to hear that!

I'll be back, hopefully with a post, soon so stay tuned, all!!

Later!

:)
  8. Lurkalidth Jedi Knight

star 2
  9. PaddyJuan Force Ghost

star 4
  10. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the ups, Lurkalidth and PaddyJuan!!!

I'm really sorry for being MIA for so long, you guys, but I hope you can bear with me a little longer...

Darth Final Exams has me firmly in it's clutches at the moment but I'll be back with a post ASAP!

Later, all! :)
  11. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
  12. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, before the angry mob comes after me, I want to apologize for the wait...

Before we get on with the post, I want to give a huge thanks to obi-ew!

You are the absolute best, girl! :cool:

Here we go!

DESTINY

As Obi-Wan was making his way back through the intricate estate, Luminara and Qui-Gon were immersed in a battle of their own. As they had expected, Xanatos had not been interested in making conversation.

Though they both fought valiantly, Qui-Gon and Luminara were not at their best, and were weakening more quickly than they normally would have. Before very long Xanatos had found a weakness in Qui-Gon?s defense and was quick to take advantage of it.

Before the older Jedi master could do anything to prevent it, Xanatos had thrown him against the wall using the Force. So brutal was the impact with which Qui-Gon was hit that he slid to the floor, unconscious.

?Qui-Gon!? Luminara called in a hoarse voice, but there was no reply.

Suddenly Luminara was fighting her opponent single handedly. Obi-Wan had once characterized Luminara as ?a great fighter? and there was no disputing it. She continued the battle with Xanatos with every ounce of strength she had. In the end, however, that strength was not enough.

Just as Obi-Wan reached the corridor where his master and Xanatos were still locked in battle he saw it; his master fatally wounded at Xanatos?s hands.

There was nothing he could have done to stop it, though until the end of his days he would wonder if he could have somehow saved his master.

In that moment, though, as he felt the bright presence of his master slipping away he could think of nothing; nothing except ensuring that if his master did not leave this place alive, neither would Xanatos. Xanatos, however, was unaware of the new arrival.

As Obi-Wan ran towards him Xanatos made his way towards Qui-Gon?s motionless form. He was still slumped against the wall, unconscious, and as Xanatos raised his lightsaber, ready to deliver the killing blow, he was unexpectedly blocked by Obi-Wan?s bright blue blade. A small but terrible smile curved Xanatos?s lips as he recognized the boy he had met all those years ago except that now he was grown into a young man.

?So, boy,? Xanatos taunted, ?you?ve come to save your master. How touching.?

Obi-Wan felt his muscles tense with rage as he replied, his voice hoarse as he struggled to keep it steady.

?Either that or to avenge her death, and I promise you I will.?

With that there was no more time for words as Obi-Wan?s blade began to move with lightning precision and speed and for the first time Xanatos realized his mistake.

It was Qui-Gon?s companion who had taught this boy and though he had not known her, he had not been fool enough to underestimate her once she had begun to fight him. She had fought extremely well, even in her weakened state and so the first thrill of true fear ran through Xanatos. If this young Jedi had learned from such a valiant master and was bent on avenging her death, Xanatos would have a very hard time defeating him.

Xanatos was no fool, however, and was not above asking his underlings to finish a fight that he didn?t think he could. When he used the silent signaling device concealed within his pocket, however, none of his security guards arrived.

They, of course, unbeknownst to their employer, were being rounded up outside of the complex.

So it was that the battle raged on until finally Obi-Wan found the weakness in Xanatos?s defense and exploited it. Twisting his blade against Xanatos?s, Obi-Wan used such force that the red blade went spinning out of the older man?s hand. A split second later the blue lightsaber of the young Jedi was against his throat. Breathing deeply, Obi-Wan prepared to make the killing blow.

At that same moment, though, he caught sight of his master?s body lying across the room. With her eyes closed, he could almost imagine that his master was merely sleeping; but of course he knew that she was not.

Against his
  13. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm sad you killed her off but I understand why. :( Poor Obi! Loses his master and ends up with Jinn. :p Wonderful way to bring things to a close.
  14. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    We all knew this day had to come
  15. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful post astroanna! Well worth waiting for. I knew it was coming, but it was still hard to read. They had a wonderful life together, and seemed to make the most of it. I hope Obi is able to let her go with no regrets.

Loved the fight with Obi and Xanatos - though I don't trust him at all. I hope he doesn't somehow escape. I'd love to see your Xan rotting in a prison cell on some backwater planet with a force supression collar or something of the like.

Great job with this fic. I can't wait to see how you end it.

--Shan
  16. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    obi-ew- :D Thank you so much! Your insights into this post were wonderful and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

PK- :( Yep, we did...

Shanobi- :D Now there's an idea!! Thanks so much, shan, I'm extremely gratified by your continued support!

Thank you all! :)
  17. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    Knowing it was coming did not make it any easier to take. I really loved how you characterized Luminara and her relationship with Obi-Wan, it makes Qui-Gon seem like a poor substitute. Wonderfully written and terribly sad astroanna. :(
  18. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Why thanks so much, Sheila, that means a lot to me!!

Happy Holidays, all!!

:)
  19. Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, the price of understanding was a high one after all. It's such a shame that had to be the case, but it's better than never understanding at all. How sad that Luminara had to die. I just hope that hings work out for Obi-Wan (and that you don't leave us hanging for too long to find out *wink*). Nicely done!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]
  20. jacen200015 Force Ghost

star 4
  21. astroanna Jedi Master

star 4
    D-L- Thanks so much, D-L, that means a lot! :)

Thanks for the up, Jacen! :)

Here we go, all, thanks for your patience!

A NEW TEAM

Several days had passed, and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were preparing to return to Coruscant. Obi-Wan would not know it for a long time, but in those few days he would become one of the people Qui-Gon Jinn respected most.

Despite his own personal pain, Obi-Wan had helped see Xanatos placed in prison to await trial, which few doubted would result in a conviction. He had also helped Bre?linn and her people start the rebuilding of their city and, ultimately, their entire planet. For Obi-Wan, however, it was a matter of simply keeping busy.

As he was gathering his things for the final trip back to Coruscant, his movements were agitated, shaky, devoid of their usual grace and composure. Finally, after everything had been packed, he sunk into a chair and let his head fall into trembling hands.

//Get it together, Obi-Wan//, he thought to himself, //you?re still a Jedi//.

But now, of course, with his master dead, his future with the Jedi was not at all certain anymore. It was a thought that he could not suppress, despite his best efforts to do so.

Whatever doubts, whatever fears he had about himself though, it was nothing compared to the grief that he continually had to keep at bay. They were nothing next to the nightmares that haunted his nights and the flashbacks that terrorized his days. Obi-Wan had become, unsurprisingly, more and more troubled since the tragic events of a few days before. Anyone who knew Obi-Wan Kenobi, however, knew that he was an extremely strong and resilient person. Obi-Wan had been touched by tragedy, but it would not break him.

That is why, when he heard the soft but unmistakable sound of the door ringer announcing a visitor he simply took a deep breath and answered it.

Bre?linn was standing on the other side of the door. At first, all she could manage was a tremulous ?Hi.?

?Hi, Bre?linn.?

She simply gazed at him, concern framing her lovely features.

?If this a bad time, I can-?

?No, Bre?linn,? Obi-Wan replied, a small, apologetic smile on his face. ?Please, come in,? he said, standing aside to let her pass.

They both sat down, silence reigning for several long moments.

?Where is he?? Obi-Wan finally asked, and Bre?linn did not have to ask who he was referring to.

?Still in jail awaiting trial.?

Obi-Wan looked at her, mild surprise written on his face.

?He was remanded without bail??

Bre?linn could not help but smile.

?You bet he was.?

Obi-Wan nodded. The two sat in companionable silence until Obi-Wan finally broke it. He looked over at Bre?linn until her bright green eyes met his own.

?I?m glad you came by, Bre?linn, don?t get me wrong, but is there any particular reason why??

Bre?linn?s brow furrowed in confusion, then she took a deep breath. Slowly she took Obi-Wan?s hand in her own and, her gaze still locked with his, she spoke.

?Because you?re my friend Obi-Wan, and you?re hurting.?

Obi-Wan could see in her eyes the sincerity with which those words were spoken, and he knew from that moment on that he had made a lifelong friend.

He looked down for some time at their clasped hands, not trusting himself to speak. When he finally did speak, it was through broken sobs.

?I miss her Bre?linn. I miss her a lot.?

Bre?linn took Obi-Wan in a light embrace which he did not resist. For some time they simply remained in each other?s arms. Obi-Wan finally pulled away. Locking gazes with Bre?linn once more, he spoke again.

?Thank you, Bre?linn.?

?For what??

Obi-Wan smiled.

?For understanding. For being my friend when I needed one.?

Bre?linn smiled and, brushing a stray tear away, stood up. Obi-Wan followed suit.

?You better keep in touch, Jedi,? she said, a small smile still playing on her lips.

Obi-Wan smiled back.

?Just try and stop me.?

After a final swift embrace
  22. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved that way you had Qui-Gon approach Obi-Wan and ask him to become his apprentice. Beautifully done. :)
  23. obi_ew Force Ghost

star 5
    That was beautiful. :) You've done such a wonderful job with this little bunny and I hope to see more from you soon. I will be sad to see the ending to this one however.
  24. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    That was a great ending.
  25. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, that was beautiful astroanna! You did such a great job with this bunny, i'm a little sad to see it end. I too love the way Qui approached Obi-Wan. I particularly liked this line -

Qui-Gon had come to realize that the present is the only certainty there is, and he would not waste it.

Well, it's about time! I just love the way you had them both grow in this fic, and Obi is much the stronger, more confident, and better Jedi for having had Luminara for a master first.

Can't wait for that epilogue and maybe another glimpse into the kind of relationship that will develop between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. This was great girl!

--Shan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.