main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Destiny Delayed- AU JA- Thanks, shanobi! *COMPLETED1/08/04*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by astroanna, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Snuck a posty by me! :eek: So do we know the person who eventually takes him as Padawan? Loved the interaction between Obi and Yoda! :)

2. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    OK, Rastro, that really made me sound like a b---h. I'll try again.

That compliment sounded SO much better in my head.

**ahem** Astroanna, this last post was really slick, it read very professionally and quick and was very provoking, making all of us want more.

There. Whew.

3. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Qui angst and Obi happiness. Hey it's all good!

more soon!

4. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I thought there would be more!!!!
    Argh! That means I've got to wait! And Force help me I have Anakin's patience which means i don't have one!!

*calms herself down...starts a mantra*
    I will wait...I will wait...I will wait...

Uppers!!!

5. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    Oooh, nice story Astro!

I can't wait to see more!

6. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    obi-ew- Didn't mean to sneak anything! 8-} Oh, and you definitely know of the person who'll choose Obi...

But I'm not telling just yet!

[face_devil]

Jovieve- No reason to correct yourself, but I appreciate the compliment so much....

Again!

8-}

Arwen-Jade- "Hey, it's all good!" Why, thanks!! :)

C3SoloP0- First off, cool name! :) Second, welcome aboard! Third, are you going to need a bag to breathe in there, girl? Don't want to lose anyone so early in the game! :)

NyghtFyre- Thanks so much! :)

OK, since you're all clamoring...

:)

UPCOMING CONFRONTATION

Over the next three days, Obi-Wan spent every spare moment he could sparring, with Bant as well as his other good friends, Garen and Reeft. Sometimes he would simply practice alone, and at times with initiates or Padawans he had never met before. He was quite surprised at how readily some of the initiates whom he had never even met were willing to help him. In the end, however, he didn?t give much thought to it, and was simply grateful to have the opportunity to practice for what he was sure would be the most important match of his short life.

The time seemed to fly by, and before Obi-Wan realized it, it was the day of the match. There was an excitement, an electricity in the air among the competing initiates, and between the older students as well. The ?Padawan picking season?, as it was affectionately referred to, was always an exiting time at the Temple.

There was still several hours before the match, and Obi-Wan was feeling somewhat restless. The nervousness he always felt before a competition was beginning to pump through his veins, and so he began to take a walk around. Not really paying attention to where he was going, he found himself in the hallway outside the small gymnasium where the sparring tournament would be held. Tacked on the wall was the list of initiates and who each would be paired with.

//Hmmm//, thought Obi-Wan, //I haven?t noticed that here before.//

Wondering very much who he would be expected to fight, Obi-Wan checked the list. Next to his name was listed the one person who could possibly put a damper on this day.

Bruck Chun.

Obi-Wan let out the mental equivalent of a groan.

//Why couldn?t it have been anyone else but him?//

Bruck Chun, for reasons beyond Obi-Wan?s ability to grasp, simply despised him. He would do anything and everything in his power to make a fool of Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan knew it. After all, he had done it plenty of times in the past.

Feeling his heart rate jump a few notches, Obi-Wan took a few deep breaths and closed his eyes, taking a few minutes to gather and center himself once more. Opening his eyes once again Obi-Wan sat down, his back against the wall, then drew his knees up to his chest.

In his mind?s eye he saw Bruck, the white-blonde hair framing a face that was forever wearing an expression of supreme arrogance. There was most definitely no love lost between the two boys.

But despite that fact, Obi-Wan knew he could not allow Bruck to get beneath his skin anymore. If he was going to do his best he could afford no distractions, could not allow anything to hinder his connection to the Force.

As Obi-Wan sat there, gradually he began to see his upcoming match not as some fearsome predator ready to attack him from the shadows, but as an opportunity, a chance to test his own skills and use all the lessons he?d learned on Bandomeer. The more Obi-Wan thought about it, the more he realized there was no one else he?d rather compete against. Not because he wanted revenge or to get even with the boy, but because he realized that to be a Jedi Padawan he needed to defeat his own anger, his own fear. Until he did that, he would always be in doubt of his own worthiness.

Obi-Wan lost track of the time as he sat there, hardly aware of the other initiates who had been streaming steadily into the gymnasium to his left. Suddenly a hand was shaking his

7. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    That was an evil cliffie! That just means you will need to post soon to put us readers out of our misery. :D

Not because he wanted revenge or to get even with the boy, but because he realized that to be a Jedi Padawan he needed to defeat his own anger, his own fear. Until he did that, he would always be in doubt of his own worthiness.

It looks like our Obi-Wan matured while on Bandomeer and is wise beyond his years. Let's hope he can maintain his serenity when actually faced with Bruck.

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Good boy Obi-wan. He finally has a handle on his temper- we hope

9. C3SoloP0

Dec 10, 2002
    AAH!!! An update so quick!!! Thank the Force....

Don't worry astroanna!! You won't lose me! I am ssoooooooooooo hooked on this now...hehehe

Up!!
    Up!!!

I wanna see what happens!!

10. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Bad me- lurker. :p

Astroanna - Wonderful additions. I love how you are making our young Obi into a noble knight already. He has always deserved better, but what will happen in the upcoming battle? I hope and believe he can beat Bruck. He's not so bent on revenge anymore. He now knows there is more out in the world than a simple rivalry. And he will face the end with grace and honour, as only our Obi can.

Can't wait for the next post. Hope it's soon. ;)

11. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Well, that was quite a warm-up for what is surely coming next - THE FIGHT. I wonder if QG will be watching?

Astroanna What is Xanatos' status in this AU? Is he good or bad? Just wondering!

12. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    Yep, looks like Obi-Wan is learning what it means to be a Jedi.

Good post. :)

13. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    I'm still here, AA! Dropping in when I can. Great work! Can't wait to see what happens. :)

14. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    Sheila- Thanks! :) And I'll try to post again ASAP!

PadawanKitara- Yeah, let's hope so! :) Thanks!

C3SoloP0- Why, thanks! :) Glad you're going to stick around!

Arldetta- You've hit the nail on the head, Arldetta, and I'll post ASAP! :)

forever-jedi- Thanks! :) As for Xanatos, well....I guess you'll just have to wait and see! :D

Jovieve- Indeed, he is! Thanks!

Arwyn- Thanks so much, and no worries, drop in whenever you can!

Thanks, all!

:D

15. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    Great posts astroanna!
    Sorry I've been gone.
    Hope Obi gives Bruck the beating he deserves ;)

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    :( Teasing me with thoughts of Xan's role in this! Hope Obi kicks Brucks blonde bum!

17. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Wow! This is terrific! (Ditto what was said, about how good it is to see Qui angsty and Obi happy.) Recently skimmed the 1st 3 JA book, and the quality (and insights) of your writing imho blow the "authorized" books out of the water. Excellent characterization, good pacing, engrossing story. :)

Obi really does seem very mature for his age, huh? It will be interesting to see if he winds up as a Padawan (and if so, w/ which master).

Thanks for posting this story. I can barely wait for the next chapter. :) Though I reckon I have no choice, lol.

18. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    snowbee-wan kenobi- No worries, and thanks so much! :) As for the beating? Well, stay tuned! :D

Obi-ew- I do, too! :) Oh, and as for Xan...

Well, I don't think I'll ever write him as well as you do, but I think I may be giving it a shot somewhere along the line!

Lurkalidth- Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... [face_blush] That's so nice! Welcome aboard, and thanks so much!!

:D

Thanks, all!

19. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    As for Xanatos, well....I guess you'll just have to wait and see!

I have a ba...d feeling about this! Or is it a feeling of interesting...... events ahead? Yes I just have to patiently wait and see!

20. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    A great update. I loved how you demonstrated that Obi-Wan was able to supress some of his anger because he realized how important that would be. Keep it up and POST more, I can't wait to read about the match.
    ~Rosy
    btw- I didn't read the plot bunny for my prediction, I just thought that it sounded like a good way to keep Obi-Wan in the order, but not with Qui-Gon until he was older.

21. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Obi is so truely a Jedi. Why can't the Temple see Bruck as he is? Why do they tolerate him and then throw out Obi?

oh, and before I forget...

WAKE UP QUI-GON!

22. C3SoloP0

Dec 10, 2002
    I can't wait to see how the scene will unfold........I bet Qui-Gon will be torn inside.........

23. astroanna

Jul 8, 2002
    forever-jedi- Yes, you will! :D Thanks for the up!

Rosy- Thanks so much! :)

PaddyJuan- [face_laugh] You'd make a good alarm clock, there, Paddy! Just kidding! Thanks so much! :)

C3SoloP0- Thanks! :) As for Qui, well....only time will tell!

OK, here's the next post, all, but just to forewarn...

I am no good at fight scenes!!!

*ahem*

Given that, here we go..

MATCH OF HIS LIFE

Obi-Wan stood at the sidelines, waiting for the allotted time he was given for his match against Bruck. One by one he had watched his friends fight, feeling the exhilaration of a lightsaber match, even if it was, for the moment, vicarious. At the moment, he was watching Bant, and was impressed by how well the young Mon Calamarian was doing.

Before long, Obi-Wan was wearing a huge grin, though he was only dimly aware of it, so engrossed in the battle was he. Obi-Wan could see the mistake Bant?s opponent had made, though it was a very subtle one, almost imperceptible. In another split second Bant had scored her kill point, and it was as though Obi-Wan had suddenly come out of a trance. The cheering was suddenly ear-splitting, though Obi-Wan had been so focused on watching his friend he had not heard anything except the hum and crashing of lightsabers until the match had ended.

At that moment, Obi-Wan added his own voice to the din of voices, cheering his best friend?s victory. He was still grinning when she ran to where he was standing and threw her arms around him.

?You were amazing, Bant!?, Obi-Wan cried.

Bant let out a whoop of victory, then looked at Obi-Wan.

?Thanks, Obi-Wan!?

Still slightly out of breath from the match, but with a huge grin on her face, Bant spoke, her eyes alight with joy and excitement.

?Now it?s your turn, Obi-Wan. Teach Bruck a lesson he won?t soon forget, Obi-Wan! I?ll be watching!?

Throwing her arms around Obi-Wan once more, Bant ran up to take her own seat in the stands where the initiates who had already competed were sitting. Bant was soon surrounded by her other friends, and was soon engulfed in congratulating arms.

Turning back to watch the matches, Obi-Wan was still grinning. In fact the smile never left his face until he caught sight of his opponent, Bruck Chun. The two locked eyes for several minutes in silent combat, both anticipating the upcoming match, but for very different reasons.

For Bruck it was a chance to humiliate Obi-Wan, completely and thoroughly, one last time. Because Bruck was certain that no matter the outcome of the match between them, Obi-Wan Kenobi would be sent right back to the Agricorps.

Obi-Wan, on the other hand, was just looking forward to putting all of his training, all of his skills to use. He knew he was fighting for the chance to become a Padawan learner but that wasn?t foremost in his mind. If he was chosen, so be it, but the only thing he wanted to accomplish today was to prove that he could fight and compete like a Jedi. Today, the only person Obi-Wan needed to prove himself against was himself.

Ending the silent standoff, Obi-Wan closed his eyes, centering himself for the upcoming competition. Before long, Obi-Wan heard his match being announced and, with one last speaking glance towards Bant, Obi-Wan made his way onto the tournament mat.

Bruck was coming towards Obi-Wan from the other end of the arena, the familiar smug grin firmly in place.

The mediator of the match, after checking both lightsabers to make sure they were set to training level, began to count down.

As he did, Obi-Wan calmed his mind, readying his muscles to act and preparing himself to anticipate Bruck?s first move.

?Three-two-?

Before the mediator had even finished the countdown Bruck had struck, swinging his lightsaber horizontally towards Obi-Wan?s midsection. Obi-Wan blocked the blow just in time, and dimly he could hear his friends? objecting yells.

The mediator, too, was outraged, and separated the tw

24. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    Exciting post, Rastro.

It was easy to calm yourself along with Obi-Wan as you read.

25. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    a person who would shape the course of the rest of his life ARGHH!!! Evil cliffies abound on the boards tonight! :mad: Envious of the fight scene and desperate for this Jedi's identity! MORE! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.