main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Different Class of Darkness--A Chosen One AU--32: Duel of Darkness

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arcalian, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    "He has been kind to me," Yaj replied without a hint of emotion. "I don't know why."

"Is empathy so foreign to you?" Mace asked, troubled.

"I've never known it. I only sort of understand the word.."

"Distant, you are. Learn to embrace others through the Force, you must."

Yaj shrugged. "If you say so."

Yoda's eyes bored into him. "Doubt me, you do?"

Yaj looked back, but unlike earlier, his eyes were dull and unchallenging. "I have no reason to. I'm just not sure....how to do what you're telling me."

Yoda exchanged worried glances with Dooku and Mace.

Indeed. Very disturbing, but in some ways he could learn ... from another perspective, or point of view.

Yaj could go many different ways here. Everyone of them different from Anakin's. But still ... the Jedi really have to be cautious.

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Hey, this fic's pretty good.

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Palpatine is setting his plans in motion.

Don't do it Padme. Don't put palpy in control.:eek:

"How feel you?" Yoda asked.

"Alone," Yaj answered.

Both Yoda and Dooku started at that response. When Dooku had been much younger, Yoda had asked him what he thought that living beings were; Dooku had replied in the exact same way as Yaj had now.

"No gratitude towards Master Qui-Gon, have you?" Yoda frowned.

"He has been kind to me," Yaj replied without a hint of emotion. "I don't know why."

"Is empathy so foreign to you?" Mace asked, troubled.

"I've never known it. I only sort of understand the word.."

"Distant, you are. Learn to embrace others through the Force, you must."

Yaj shrugged. "If you say so."

Yaj whats wrong, liven up a bit.:oops:

4. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    (Apologies for lateness, my beta reader seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. So we'll just post this raw and see how it goes. On with the show....)

Chapter Eighteen: Paradigm Shift

Palpatine's predictions about the senate were proven entirely correct. Amidala had long known that the Trade Federation had a seat in the august council of the Galaxy, but knowing it and seeing it were two different things.

".....There is no proof that the Trade Federation has made any kind of landing!" their representative scoffed from his floating pod.

"You have been blockading us for months, " Palpatine said with a heavy weariness that let Amidala know this conversation had happened many times, with minor variations.

"A perfectly legal blockade over their refusal to pay taxes on the trade routes that we have every right to administer!" The Federation Senator snapped back.

"Passed by a razor-thin majority of three votes," Palpatine countered, "Which the Courts suspect you of having bought."

"That was out of order!" The Nemoidian puffed himself up.

"Your entire objection is out of order," Palpatine scoffed.

"Enough," intoned Mas Amedda, the blue-skinned Speaker of the Chamber. "We must have the truth of this."

"A capital suggestion," said the Federation Senator. "Perhaps an envoy could be sent to Naboo to ascertain the truth?"

"Queen Amidala," Palpatine said with strained patience, "Came here to bear witness to the truth. I can assure you, she did not do so frivolously or on false pretenses!"

"The point..." Chancellor Valorum began, but the Speaker turned and muttered something in his ear.

"Enter the beauracrats," Palpatine told Amidala, sotto voce. "The true rulers of the Republic. This is where Valorum's support will erode like a castle made of sand...."

"The point is conceded," Valorum said sadly. "Will you allow an envoy to be sent to Naboo?"

Palpatine opened his mouth to speak to Amidala further, but stopped, eyebrows raised in surprise, as she slowly rose in the pod.

"How dare you...." she said, staring holes in Valorum. "How dare you defer this crisis to an uninterested observer! You were supposed to help us!"

"Majesty, I would not advise speaking in such a--" Palpatine began.

Amidala cut him off. "I would not advise the Chancellor failing to honor his responsibilities in such fashion!" She was trembling with rage. "What has become of our Republic?!" She pointed an accusatory finger at Valorum. "You are unworthy of your position!"

"Majesty, you do not understand the circumstances--" a visibly shaken Valorum began.

"BE SILENT! You...you pathetic worm...." she almost broke down, then looked up again, eyes cold and stern. Palpatine seemed almost impressed.

"I...I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's so-called 'leadership'!"

The Senate Chamber took it up with a roar of approval.

Palpatine smiled.

$$$$

"Has the Council reached a decision?" Qui-Gon asked.

There was a moment of silence.

"Clouded, this boy's future is," Yoda said. "Uncertain, where his path may lead is. At the same time, ignore him we may not."

"The boy will remain under your supervision, not yet a Padawan, and will continue to be observed," Mace said. "Your own Padawan, Obi-Wan, will be asked to make a separate report to us on Yaj's behavior and conduct when this....crisis...is past."

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan shared an uncomfortable glance. Yaj merely stared ahead blankly.

Dooku looked uncomfortable. "For the moment, remain as protectors of Queen Amidala," he said. "When we know what steps are to be taken next, further decisions will be made."

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon bowed. Yaj looked curiously at Dooku, who gave back a small, sad smile.

$$$$

This is the Shadow:

You have always been alone.

Because you are the embodiment of the Dark Side, you are forever separate from every one and every thing, even your own apprentices. You stand outside of history and society, looking in, forever an observer an

5. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

So the council cannot make a decision where
    yaj is concerned.o_O

Time will tell .[face_whistling]

"Master," he intones, finally. "I have failed you. I await my punishment."

Lord Maul means this, you know he would gladly die to atone. And gladly you would kill him, but you need him a while yet.

"No, my apprentice," you answer, "There are opportunities yet for you to succeed. Listen carefully and heed me well...."

What is the darkside up too.[face_worried]

excellent post=D=

6. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    =D=

I totally loved the little piece of Sids at the end. so powerfully written!

Rachel Rose@};-

7. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Chapter Nineteen: Hither and thither moves.....

Darth Maul waited.

He waited very badly.

His hands clenched tight on the hilt of his double-ended lightsabre. He stared into the Senatorial apartments. One of the Council Jedi was waiting outside, that old human Dooku. He could kill him now....

But no, he must wait. Master Sidious had assured him that he had plans for Dooku. The time was not yet right. Almost....almost.

The Queen of Naboo would sign the treaty, she would.

Within, the Queen spoke to that Senator, Palpatine. Maul stared at the man. Here was another he could kill but......there was a flicker in his mind, and he shook himself. Palpatine was nobody important. Sidious had stressed that from the days of his earliest training. Nobody. Nobody at all.

He sat back on his heels and concentrated on hiding in the Force, like his Master had taught him. He would wait, he would follow...

...and when the time was right, he would strike.

?My nomination is a surprise, to be sure,? Palpatine said. ?But a welcome one.?

?Is it a surprise?? she countered. ?Did you know how strong support for you was??

?I knew we had much sympathy due to the embargo,? he admitted. ?But I did not expect to be nominated.?

Amidala stared at him for another long moment, then shifted her gaze. ?It will take some time for the election and your actual inaguration,? she said reflectively.

?A few weeks,? Palpatine agreed. ?But then, my lady, we will be able to--?

?No.?

Palpatine stopped and frowned. ?My lady??

?No. I am not waiting that long. I am going to go back to Naboo.?

Palpatine?s jaw dropped, and for a moment Amidala thought she saw something else in his eyes; something flickered there that she could not identify.

Finally, he found his voice. ?B-but Majesty, be realistic! They?ll force you to sign the treaty!?

?I will sign no treaty, Senator,? she said coldly, staring at him. ?My fate will be the same as that of our people. If I survive--or not--I?m sure you?ll be along in due course to clean up the mess.?

Palpatine blinked and for a moment there was that flicker in his eyes again...then he simply bowed. ?As you would have it. I...I will ask Jedi Master Dooku if the Council would send your Jedi Protectors with you.?

?That....would be helpful,? she admitted, then stormed out.

?Sometimes,? Palpatine muttered to himself, ?Just sometimes, this Universe still manages to surrpise me.? He rushed to the door. ?Master Dooku, your Grace??

?Yes, Senator?? Dooku arched an eyebrow. ?I was about to follow the Queen.?

?Yes, please do......but I have more to ask of you than that, for her safety....?

?If I can,? Dooku answered with his customary grace. ?You have always been a sympathetic ear to me, Senator.?

Palaptine smiled thinly. ?Yes, I have, have I not old friend? If you would ensure that Master Qui-Gon and his apprentice Obi-Wan were sent with her....?

?Is the Council trying to divide us?? Obi-Wan asked Qui-Gon as they walked the Jedi Temple perimeter.

?They do not trust my detachment,? Qui-Gon said with easy humor. ?They never have. It is a large part of the reason I am not on the Council. They beleive you are more ?stable? and ?grounded?.?

?Despite being your apprentice?? Obi-Wan raised a brow.

?Because you are my apprentice,? Qui-Gon countered. ?They know you have stood against me in the past. There are times when you remind them of my Master.?

Now both of Obi-Wan?s eyebrows shot up. ?Me? Like Master Dooku??

?In some ways, Padawan,? Qui-Gon smiled softly. ?In some ways. Make your report as they have instructed. Tell them the truth as you see it. I am confident the Living Force will vindicate me.?

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan bowed his head.

?Ah, there you are,? Dooku himself strode towards them, a puzzled Yaj in tow. ?There has been an unexpected development. Queen Amidala is returning to Naboo.?

?Alone?? Obi-Wan gasped.

?Not alone,? Dooku said. ?You two shall go

8. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Oh No, not back to Naboo[face_worried]

Why can't Dooku go.[face_thinking]

excellent post.=D=

9. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
  10. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Amidala cut him off. "I would not advise the Chancellor failing to honor his responsibilities in such fashion!" She was trembling with rage. "What has become of our Republic?!" She pointed an accusatory finger at Valorum. "You are unworthy of your position!"

"Majesty, you do not understand the circumstances--" a visibly shaken Valorum began.

"BE SILENT! You...you pathetic worm...." she almost broke down, then looked up again, eyes cold and stern. Palpatine seemed almost impressed

Youve given Padme a little more umpf in your story, I like it. I really need to watch TPM again wasnt in it was he?

11. DountCooku

DountCooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2006
    I really like the way this story is going. Please add me to your PM list. Thanks!

12. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Nute Gunray sat on the throne of Naboo, Rune Haako cringing by his side.

A ghostly hologram of Darth Sidious floated before them on a mobile projector on spider-legs.

"The Queen has foolishly decided to return to Naboo and challenge you. Unfortunately, she will have the Jedi Knights with her."

Gunray and Haako exchanged a nervous look.

"The Jedi," Sidious went on, "You failed to destroy."

"My Lord," Gunray managed nervously, "You did say you were sending your apprentice after them."

"So I did," Sidious agreed. "That is why he is following her and the Jedi to Naboo. Give him any assistance he requires. Is that understood?"

"Y-yes, my Lord," Gunray managed.

"Good. Be ready for anything." The hologram blanked out.

There was a long pause.

"I told you we should never have--" Haako began.

"And I told YOU, it's too late now!" Gunray drew in a hissing reptilian breath. "When this is over, we will be rich beyond all the greatest dreams of avaraice of our people. The Sith will destroy the Jedi, and we will profit."

Haako turned away. "I hope so," he muttered to himself.

Aboard the Queen's Royal skiff, there was quiet dissention.

"We can only protect you, highness," said Qui-Gon. "We cannot fight a war for you."

"And we have no army," Captain Panaka put in.

The Queen thought a moment. "Yaj?"

"Yes, your Highness?" The boy asked uncertainly.

"From what I have heard, you can see the outcome of battles, is that true?"

"If they are close enough in the future," he agreed.

"Can you see a way for us to win?"

Yaj thought about it, eyes closed. After a moment his head hung back a little. He slowly began to rock back on his heels, and the two Jedi went to assist him, able to see the strange curl of energy in the Force around the child.

Finally he came back to his feet and blinked. "Tell the Gungan....tell him to....."

"Binks?" Obi-Wan frowned. "What can he do?"

Yaj frowned. "By himself, nothing. But he can tell his people."

The Jedi looked at eachother.

"The Gungans will be none to pleased with the invaders," Obi-Wan said, slowly.

"As you warned them at the time, my Padawan," Qui-Gon agreed.

They turned to look at the queen, who slowly began to smile....

13. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Yaj can see the battle, but can he see death stalking
    Qui-Gon.[face_thinking]

I hope no one dies.

14. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
  15. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    As Jar Jar had expected, the Gungan underwater city was deserted. The Gungans, he said, would have retreated to one of their sacred sites.

He led them to the most likely one, and he turned out to be correct. Now that they were back on Naboo, there was no reason for anyone to stay behind; everyone came, not just Queen Amidala, but her guards, Padme, and all the other handmaidens and crew as well.

If Yaj had been startled by Coruscant, he was astonished by Naboo. The rich green growing trees and thick grasses over rolling hills left him wide-eyed and stunned.

"So much life...." he trailed off.

"Yes," said Padme. "But there is danger here too, Yaj."

Yaj nodded, unsurprised by this. "Sure. Danger everywhere. But not so much coldness....and the pain here....it's not as lingering."

Both Jedi, Padme, and Amidala stared at Yai for a moment after that remark. The Jedi exchanged a look, and Padme reached out and took Yaj's hand as they went on.

"The machenix been here is YOU fault!" Boss Nass, cheftain of the Gungans, boomed. "Yoousa all bombad!"

"It is the fault of no one but the Trade Federation," Obi-Wan said.

"Their greed and avarice knows no bounds." Qui-Gon agreed.

"We fight them," Nass hissed, "But for ussen, not youssen."

"Self interest is inevitable," Amidala agreed. "But in this case, it is better if we work together."

"Less of your people will die, and less of ours," said Padme, stepping forward. "And now has come the time for total honesty. Your Honor, I am Queen Amidala." Padme looked back at the regal woman in headdress behind her. "This is Sobe, my decoy and bodyguard."

Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow; Obi=Wan blinked. Only Yaj was truly unsurprised. He nodded, smiling approvingly.

Boss Nass was silent for a long moment. "Clever," he said at last. "Weesa will listen to your proposal."

Meanwhile, a shadow fell over the planet as the Sith Interceptor arrived in Theed.

Darth Maul had come to Naboo.

16. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Darth Maul is back on Naboo let us hope it does not run to cannon
    and Qui-Gon gets killed once again.

Excellent post.=D= I hope Yaj sees the fight between
    Qui and Maul and helps Obi prevent a death.

17. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    "The Droids on the planet will be controlled from a ship in high orbit," Qui-Gon mused as the Gungan armies slowly massed behind them. "It's a pity we don't have a pilot skilled enough to take it out."

"Wouldn't matter," Obi-Wan pointed out. "Their deflector shields are too strong."

"Like the cursed Droidekas," Qui-gon agreed.

"The Gungans will have to win the battle on the ground," Qui-Gon said, turning to Boss Nass. "Many of your people may be killed."

"Weesa ready to do oursen part," Nass boomed.

"Master Jedi, meaning no disrespect, but the battle is a diversion to allow us to reach the Viceroy and capture him," Padme said. "Taking him prisoner will force a far more total defeat of the Trade Federation than any droid shutdown would."

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon exchanged a look. Padme's revelation had changed things significantly. "Yes, your majesty," Obi-Wan said. "But the idea is to limit Gungan casualties and yet provide a diversion that will actually be effective."

Yaj wandered away from the grown ups talk. He felt uneasy about the whole situation but he couldn't have said why.....yet.

As for Binks, he was fortuante taht his sentence of death had been lifted.

Darth Maul stood by the Viceroy.

The hologram projection of Sidious seemed silent for a moment, as though considering the Force. "Lord Maul," he eventually said, "You have my permission to seek out the Jedi and destroy them. Wherever they are, the Queen will also be."

Maul grinned a ferocious grin. "Thank you, My master."

18. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    ummm, seems to be heading down the same path.[face_thinking]

oh well:_|

I hope Yaj doesn't become an Anakin[face_worried]

Maul should kill Dooku instead that would upset Palpy[face_laugh]

Nice post=D=

19. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
  20. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Yaj nodded, unsurprised by this. "Sure. Danger everywhere. But not so much coldness....and the pain here....it's not as lingering."

Both Jedi, Padme, and Amidala stared at Yai for a moment after that remark. The Jedi exchanged a look, and Padme reached out and took Yaj's hand as they went on.

He is almost a little scary sometimes. IT is as if he just knows too much. I really enjoy your writing style. It is very clean and and to the point but you still convey enough detail and emotion to provide the right feel.

21. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    "Um....Qui-Gon?"

The elder Jedi turned and smiled. "Yes, Yaj?"

"The battle....you know I can see the future, a little. Is what I do." Yaj shrugged uncomfortably.

Qui-Gon nodded.

"Well, um....in the battle, maybe the Gungans should set up traps for the droids to march into, and retreat...and stuff."

Qui-Gon nodded again. "I shall mention it to them. Anything else?"

"Yeah....I think there's a um....a bad person out there."

"Of course there are," Qui-Gon smiled softly. "Many dark people exist in the universe--"

"No," Yaj shook his head. "I mean bad, like an enemy of you bad. Like that ship that attacked us."

"A Sith?" Qui-Gon took a half step back.

"If that's what you call em. I think one of em is here."

Qui-Gon nodded slowly. "Thank you, Yaj. I shall remember."

He went to speak to the Gungans.

They didn't really have time to prepare; the Trade Federation forces in Theed detected the growing Gungan army fairly quickly.

The Jedi and Padme snuck off in speeders, heading toward the capital, leaving Yaj behind. Leaving him at a battle was of course dangerous, but there would be danger wherever they went. Boss Nass promised to keep him well behind the front lines.

Yaj stood nervously by the giant Gungan leader as the Federation forces came rumbling over the hills, hovertanks hissing on repulsor fields.

Boss Nass swallowed reflexively.

Yaj wasn't feeling too confident himself.

The Jedi snuck into Theed with the Queen and her guards.

They timed their attack carefully; Padme and Captain Panaka open fired on the few droids protecting the palace, the Jedi ignited their sabers......

22. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Will Qui-Gon heed Yaj's words, or will he go down
    the same pit he went before.o_O

Lets hope Yaj can see a solution to beat the sith.[face_thinking]

excellent post.=D=

23. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Yaj stood nervously by the giant Gungan leader as the Federation forces came rumbling over the hills, hovertanks hissing on repulsor fields.

Boss Nass swallowed reflexively.

Yaj wasn't feeling too confident himself.

Here's another change from cannon Yaj didnt stay with the Jedi I wonder how it will effect the course of events.

24. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
    [face_thinking]

Yaj stayed behind.. this is an interesting twist...

25. Arcalian

Mar 13, 2005
    Death is always the reality of war.

It matters not what the cause is, or if there is no cause and merely hatred and greed instead. It matters not who is right and who is wrong.

The main result of war is always death.

This pleased the Sith no end.

War pours darkness into the Force. Beginning the process of weakening and blinding the Jedi's perception.

There had been battles and wars down the years, of course. But for the first time since the great Sith wars of so long ago, the Sith were engineering a massive conflict, deliberately.

This was merely a prelude, an opening echo of what would come.

But in a very real sense, the attempt to destroy the Jedi began in earnest here.

Gungans began to fall.

Their shields held for a time, but eventually they were taken down and the Droids were able to retalite in kind for their losses.

Few and selectively, and not nearly as many as the battle droids, of course. But that was the problem. The battle droids didn't worry about morale, and they were easily replaced. Each Gungan life was precious, and each loss was felt by their kin.

But the Gungans were warriors, and they would not waver.

But the words of Yaj had not fallen upon deaf ears. The Gungans retreated carefully, and specific directions. The traps had been hastily laid, and they tore the Droids apart.

But the Droids kept coming.

The Jedi led Queen Amidala and her troops, slashing and whirling through the Droids, reflecting shots effortlessly with dazzling spins and swings of their lighsabers.

But they felt it; that ice cold fist in the Force; a small, focused intense hurricane of heartless hate swirling slowly but inevitably. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon exchanged a knowing, sad look. There were no words between them, not even shared thoughts in the Force; there was no need.

They led the Queen and her soldiers into the aircraft hanger; and they felt the presence waiting for them. There were no droids in here; not a good sign.

They advanced towards it nonetheless, and the massive doors swung aside before they got anywhere near them.

The dark robed figure for them was not the Shadow of the Dark Side itself, but clearly one of its emmisaries. It was more than cold enough. More than dark enough.

"We'll handle this," Qui-Gon said.

"We'll take the long way," Padme replied. "Be careful....."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Always." Obi-Wan just nodded grimly.

The troopers and their Queen turned to the side. The emissary of Shadow watched them for a moment, then flicked it's eyes back to the Jedi. They could see those eyes; yellow and red, the colors of fire.

A Zabrak, they could see, as it tossed it's hood back. Speaking no words, they slipped off their robes and drew their sabers once more.

The enemy replied by igniting his own weapon not once, but twice; bloodshine blades extended from either side of it's hilt. Qui-Gon nodded; like the legendary Sith Lord of old, Exar Kun. One blade for each of them.

They leapt, and the Sith spun his blade to meet them.

When those blades met, the war between Sith and Jedi was renewed as it had not been for centuries.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.