main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A different kind of government...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Oct 16, 2013.

?

If there was another government, that wasn't an Empire/Republic/Confederacy, which would you prefer?

1. Rule by a royal bloodline and aristocratic families

45.8%
  2. Rule by religious true-believers

16.7%
  3. Rule by machines

20.8%
  4. Rule by hive-mind

4.2%
  5. Other??? (please specify and explain)

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If there was another major government in the galaxy in the ST... and it wasn't an Empire or a Republic or a Confederacy (or anything too similar to those we've already seen in the movies)... which type of government would you prefer?

A government which is ruled by a royal bloodline and aristocratic families? (And perhaps not tyrannical in how they treat their people?)

A government which is ruled by religious true-believers, who enforce their strict moral code and beliefs on everyone else? (And perhaps their people want to live in this kind of society?)

A government which is ruled by droids and other machines/AI? (And perhaps their people are treated nicely, and want to be ruled by machines?)

A government which is ruled by the collectivist hive-mind which already control their entire society? (And perhaps their people voluntarily chose to join together their minds to form one mind?)

Something else? (Please explain)

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Government run by Oligarchy. In other words, a government with little power and influenced by the wealthiest citizens of the 'Republic', which it is in name only.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ehh, already had that in the PT.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. Nenim Chela

Nenim Chela Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2013
    Funny, but I think that in Episode 7 the governmental forces that would antagonize the New Republic (or GFFA) should be split into the kinds of old world political/governmental/religious groups provided by some options on your list. (The machines might be the good guys.) Led by Leia Organa Solo, the New Republic would be an ideologically frayed, politically left-of-center (maybe right-of-center?) government opposed primarily by a group of "religious true-believers," or religious fundamentalists who spiritually champion the Jedi but who, in political terms, "enforce their strict moral code and beliefs" by way of older, "royal [bloodlines] and aristocratic families," to use your own terms. I think that the SWU could easily reflect the war between "East and West" that we're seeing in the world today, a war primarily defined by theocracies v. democracies.

leiamoody likes this.
  5. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Let's put it this way...I wouldn't mind seeing a government that is reflective of the the current political realities we see in the world today.

Dak Oolron and Nenim Chela like this.
  6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The Galactic Tea Party.

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    The Imperial Koch Brothers Sith.

8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I don't think any of those you listed would be realistic to expect... this society just had a traumatic experience with a totalitarian dictator more controlling than any in the history of their existence. So i think the next government would be focused on giving it citizens as much freedom as possible, and spreading out the power as much as possible. Everybody would be very weary of one man, or even a small group of people, making all the decisions.

And that could certainly lead to major political conflict. Such a radical departure from what came before, with an entirely new set of leaders and lawmakers who may not have experience making decisions on a galactic scale, and without a proper amount of regulations over such a large area, could border on a form of anarchy and cause serious malcontent amongst its people, perhaps enough to spark yet another war/uprising.

That would be some great irony, wouldn't it? The rebels, for all their justified anger at the malicious empire, finally "win" the power back to the people, only to realize that they have no idea how to actually operate a government.

9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I thought we were talking about a government different from the Republic, some sort of antagonist like the Mandalorians.

10. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    I hate to admit it, but the only realistic expectation here regarding politics in the ST is that Disney does not let JJ&Co. get too involved, complex, or controversial in terms of political tone. :( Not necessarily because Disney is, you know, Disney (c) or anything but because of the strong political tone to the PT, an approach that didn't exactly go over well with audiences.

11. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Perhaps, but I think you keep it intimate enough, by focusing more on how the politics are affecting individual characters rather than focusing on the politics themselves, then you can get away with it while still getting the point across.

So, while people would likely be put off by drawn out senate meetings or in-depth policy discussions, I'm sure they could connect with a scene of Leia venting to Luke about the ineptitude of the government she helped put in place, or a sequence set against the backdrop of a poverty-ridden area, subtly reminding the audience that things aren't exactly being handled perfectly back in the senate chambers.

Nenim Chela likes this.
  12. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    BTW: I didn't mean to lump all religious "true-believers" together. I should have been clearer in differentiating between religious fundamentalist groups like the Tea Party and religious extremists, like, you know, Al-Qaeda. K, I'm out.

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I hadn't realized there was a difference.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The Galactic Anarchists' Union.

They are very confused.

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I want to see a government by master-blaster like Thunderdome.

For instance I want to see a Jawa or Ewok, but Jawas are smarter, being carried by a Gamorrean. The Jawa talks in the 3rd person but none of us knows what it actually says because we only hear "Utinni!"

Nenim Chela and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Obey Hypnotoad
    [​IMG]

17. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Gentleman's Jungle

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone else want to vote before I create version 2 with the highest choices?

And if people vote other and don't specify, I can't include it in the next poll.

19. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    The Knights who say Ni.

Episode VII: The Search for a Shrubbery.

20. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    It'll be an anarcho-syndicalist commune. No farcical water tarts please. But regardless, there will be violence inherent in the system.

DarthIshyZ and Ryus like this.
  21. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    It can be a democracy....just don't talk about it every 5 seconds! *cough* prequels*

22. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Rule by A:"True believers"(some force esque cult cause were gonna egt lots of force users and waving around lightsabers no matter what ,and someone gotta be antagonists)..perhaps in coalition with B:"other" : some remnant of the empire with new star destroyers or maybe something totally original..in either case handled with great care storywise same with force users..this has so much potential for it to be an utter failure or to be an insane success..:)

23. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    The Chiss Ascendancy expanded a bit and is now ruling half the galaxy.

24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    what did the Empire ever do for us?

25. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

wine

Ryus and Darth Punk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.