main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Different Path: Anakin Skywalker AU (One-Poster)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Deneveon, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Reposted from the original ff boards.

Sumamry: Even dark lords are haunted by their past, by mistakes that have marred their lives--and yes, even Darth Vader, encased in his metal prison, finds himself dreaming of a life that much different from his own.

Original Thread

--

A DIFFERENT PATH

--

Darkness is like a shroud that falls on all else; it consumes its surroundings with a grace that betrays its deadliness. Only those powerful enough to wield it even dare to hold its essence in their grasp?even then, there is not one who has tasted its bittersweet fire and has not succumbed to its malignant prison.

I know this for a fact; perhaps, I know it too well. There was once a time and place, in years gone old, when a younger man of myself existed, an impetuous and rather brash youth. Should I look upon the matter now, I see nothing but foolishness; back in that time, I saw the entire galaxy within my control.

Yes, my vision came true, that much is certain?but at such great a price. Perhaps I have no right to regret it, for years of training in the Dark Arts makes no room for such petty emotions. Though I cannot help but imagine what might have become of me, if I had chosen a different path, a different destiny. If instead of hatred and deceit, I had chosen compassion and truth; if instead of this mechanical prison I bear, I had chosen the arms of my wife and children.

Countless times I have weighed the circumstances?countless times I have been left unanswered. Though in all honesty I know without a trace of doubt that this dark power I wield has become my murderer, and someday I will die because of it, perhaps even the rest of the known galaxy along with me.

But I am slave to its immense might.

I cannot simply escape its clutches; how I wish it were as simple as that. Though I can see that redemption is far from my grasp, in a secret part of me, in a corner of my soul that the dark has not touched, I yearn for it, for salvation. For freedom?freedom from the past that is weighed on my shoulders, and freedom from this tomb of black.

Perhaps, in a way, I am still as foolish as I was in my youth, that I still desire the light even if I know I am immune to it. Though is that not how a dream is spawned?a hope, a wish, even at times something so blatantly impossible that it seems pointless to even imagine it.

Yet, from dreams, come realities.

I consider the young man that I once was to be dead, yes, but even with this mask I am forced to wear, and this voice I am forced to possess, I still find that man?s dreams tucked away in some concealed fold or strand, and I am left to wonder if I am simply lost in this sea of darkness, or if, beyond any desperate plea, I have truly drowned in it.

--

?You?re growing up to be a fine young lady, Leia,? I said to my daughter, and as much I would have loved to deny it, the nineteen-year-old girl before me was no longer the curious toddler she had been only so many years earlier.

?Uh, dad, I?m not fourteen anymore,? Leia replied in a rather impatient drawl, and I had to fight the urge to laugh out loud. ?Anyway, I?m going to the dinner with Delin tonight. Would you mind??

I rolled my eyes sarcastically, in an obvious attempt to annoy her. ?Well of course I mind! Delin is what, four years older than you?? I watched her face contort into something that I could clearly read as aggravation.

She sighed and huffed in a manner that her mother would consider most unladylike. ?But dad? Mom is five years older than you, remember??

Now, around others, Leia is quite the diplomat?much like her mother, I?m proud to say. Around me, she doesn?t even bother with such things. Both my children have learned, by thorough experience, that I can read minds very well.

At that moment some realization dawned upon me that my little girl was nineteen.

Sometimes, I reasoned the galaxy wasn?t fair?well, I used to, at least. Today that truth has so

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was sad and cute at the same time. The fact that Vader could be dreaming of another life, an AU universe, was rather poignant. I found the dream rather fun with the mix of fatherly concern and typical teenaged rebellion (although mild rebellion) sweet.

Good job

3. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Wow! I thought that dream was real! You portrayed everything so well that I didn't even realize it wasn't reality until ittt went back to Vader! Very well written!

Darkness is like a shroud that falls on all else; it consumes its surroundings with a grace that
    betrays its deadliness. Only those powerful enough to wield it even dare to hold its essence in
    their grasp?even then, there is not one who has tasted its bittersweet fire and has not
    succumbed to its malignant prison.

I know this for a fact; perhaps, I know it too well. There was once a time and place, in years
    gone old, when a younger man of myself existed, an impetuous and rather brash youth. Should
    I look upon the matter now, I see nothing but foolishness; back in that time, I saw the entire
    galaxy within my control.

Yes, my vision came true, that much is certain?but at such great a price. Perhaps I have no
    right to regret it, for years of training in the Dark Arts makes no room for such petty emotions.
    Though I cannot help but imagine what might have become of me, if I had chosen a different
    path, a different destiny. If instead of hatred and deceit, I had chosen compassion and truth; if
    instead of this mechanical prison I bear, I had chosen the arms of my wife and children.

Countless times I have weighed the circumstances?countless times I have been left
    unanswered. Though in all honesty I know without a trace of doubt that this dark power I wield
    has become my murderer, and someday I will die because of it, perhaps even the rest of the
    known galaxy along with me.

But I am slave to its immense might.

I cannot simply escape its clutches; how I wish it were as simple as that. Though I can see
    that redemption is far from my grasp, in a secret part of me, in a corner of my soul that the
    dark has not touched, I yearn for it, for salvation. For freedom?freedom from the past that is
    weighed on my shoulders, and freedom from this tomb of black.

Perhaps, in a way, I am still as foolish as I was in my youth, that I still desire the light even if
    I know I am immune to it. Though is that not how a dream is spawned?a hope, a wish, even
    at times something so blatantly impossible that it seems pointless to even imagine it.

Yet, from dreams, come realities.

I consider the young man that I once was to be dead, yes, but even with this mask I am forced
    to wear, and this voice I am forced to possess, I still find that man?s dreams tucked away in
    some concealed fold or strand, and I am left to wonder if I am simply lost in this sea of
    darkness, or if, beyond any desperate plea, I have truly drowned in it.

I loved that whole part! It was very dark and powerful! That was something I won't soon forget! You know, you could take Vader's dream and turn it into an AU story! That would be so cool! Don't you think?

4. Deneveon

Jun 6, 2002
    dianthx: Glad to know you liked it.

diamond_pony2002: I wasn't really too sure if I even wanted it to be a dream when I actually got to writing it, having it so happy and all. :p But thanks, and I do think it would be spledid idea to develop it into a story. I just might.

--Den

5. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    How many people haven't looked back on their lives and wondered if one single little choice had been made differently, how different would their lives be? I have on countless occasions. This just shows how human Vader still is, in that far corner of his mind. Great job!

--later--

6. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    What a wonderful, sad story. I love AUs where Vader survives, or doesn't turn to the dark side. It's so touching and bittersweet to me. It would be nice to see this story expanded.

Kristeh

7. Deneveon

Jun 6, 2002
    Thank you both. I am considering turning this into an AU fic, but I have so many projects on my hands as it is.

--Den

8. Deneveon

Jun 6, 2002
    Upperoonies.

--Den

9. Deneveon

Jun 6, 2002
    Up!

--Den

10. darththunderbird

darththunderbird Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2003
    wow...that was....amazing..loved the last line!!!

tell me, what do you think of my fanfics? (the first link in my siggy is the better one)

11. Deneveon

Jun 6, 2002
    darththunderbird: Thanks. I'm glad you like it :D I haven't read any of you fics, but I can check them out if you want!

--Den

12. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    So sad, and very touching. I like the last line especially.

13. Deneveon

Jun 6, 2002
    Thanks!

14. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I really like the look into the other world. Anakin as an over-protective father, LUke, Leia, Padme- it was all very nicely done. And I also liked the last setence and the way it tied it all up. All in all, I really liked this fic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.