main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Different Path (Darth Vader-AU)- Updated with Epilogue- 2/8

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SkalenFehl, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ladynaye

Ladynaye Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    I think....Vader no longer wants a red saber....

2. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Darth_Kripp : Uh oh, Vader certainly has a way with people. devil Perhaps this is just the Dark Side trying to claim his servant for the last time.

He is definitely in a pivotal moment. Stay tuned.

Ladynaye : I think....Vader no longer wants a red saber....

He's definitely considering it!

Thank you for reading and for your replies. I look forward to having the next part up this week.

3. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I don't blame Obi-Wan for being worried. Twenty years is a long time for a change to occur. Hopefully, we won't be hanging long.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Well looky here. I found the post before even getting a PM. :p

I was a bit shocked to see Obi-Wan being as generous with Vader as he was. Now we'll find out whether that bit of mercy is justified.

I hope I did alright.

Depends on if you like making your readers growl when left dangling on such a cliff. :p :p

5. Amidala66

Amidala66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    That was a great update!!!

6. SKYWALKER024

SKYWALKER024 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2006
    wow, that really honestly hit me in the heart. To see Anakin again is just......I'm at a loss for words.

Thanks for the PM.

7. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks! And here is another update!! I think I should be able to have this story finished this week. There is one more part and an epilogue. Brace yourselves!

Part Eight

Except for the dreadful sound of Vader's mechanical breaths and the electrical hum of the lightsaber echoing in the small bedroom there was dead silence. Vader looked around the dimly lit room. On one shelf by the bed was a small model of a T-16 Skyhopper. Beside it lay a small assortment of tools, some of which he recognized as those used for working on moisture vaporators. He turned to the young man who stood awestruck not more than a few meters away, his eyes focused on the bright blue blade of the lightsaber which he had so quietly removed from Obi-Wan's belt.

By now Vader had determined that Ob-Wan had been there in Padme's final hours, as he so vividly dreamed about her in another lifetime. And standing before him, the answer to the question that Padme had asked him so long ago. The child that she had carried--his child, had grown into a man. He could sense the force in him. No doubt the emperor would have as well and by now replaced him with his own flesh and blood. It was the way of the Sith. Luke turned to face him. He could sense fear in the young farmer. He also sensed anguish and hatred towards him. Vader thought about the gruff old man that had fallen before him and what he must have meant to Luke. Vader wondered just how strong in the force Luke would grow. He wondered if Luke was ready to fulfill his destiny.

He turned to face Obi-Wan. ?Why did you save me??

Obi-Wan inhaled deeply as he raised his hands in front of him in a submissive gesture. ?Because of what Padme said before she died,? he said softly.

Vader raised Obi-Wan's lightsaber to his throat. ?Be careful what you say old man.?

Obi-Wan swallowed as he considered his choice of words. Then he spoke carefully. ?She died in childbirth,? he replied raising his brow. ?Before she died she said something, which has echoed in my mind all these years. Something which I have hoped is true.?

Vader remained silent. His chest rose slightly with each breath as he waited for Obi-Wan to finish.

?Her dying words were, 'There is still good in him.' I know there is.'?

The lightsaber lowered in Vader's hands as if the gravity of those words had weighed heavily upon him. He remembered constricting her throat through the force in anger, but he knew that he had left her alive. She was so delicate, so beautiful. He had allowed himself to be deceived by Palpatine to murder innocent children and it was that same passion that swept him away blindly to willfully attack his own beloved wife.

The fear of loss is the path to the dark side.

Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is.

Indeed it was the fear of losing Padme that had snared the him. And it was that attachment that Palpatine had so skillfully exploited.

Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death.

You're a Sith Lord!

Are you going to kill me?

I would certainly like to.

I know you would. I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger.

The only certain truth that he had learned from his master was the strength that the dark side indeed gave him. He was able to harness that power, but for what? To spread destruction? He had allowed himself to become Palpatine's pawn.

Vader deactivated the lightsaber and stood motionless for a few moments. He slowly stepped back and exited the room and went outside. The cooling system in his suit increased power to stabilize its internal temperature. His breathing remained even as he looked around the homestead. Parked to his right was an old landspeeder. About twenty meters away, Beru sat on the desert floor sobbing, wrapping Owen's body in preparation for his burial. He walked towards her and noticed that she had uncovered two headstones from the s

8. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I wonder what he plans to do when he gets to his Master.

9. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    I kind of knew that Vader wasn't fully defeated but is certainly subdued. I too am curious about what he plans on doing once he reaches his master.

10. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    This is a really great story, Skalen. I really like how tightly focused you've kept the narrative. Your decision about killing Leia to keep it focused on Vader was a good one--it made this an even better story.

Well done!=D=

11. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    =D= Fantastic pair up updates, SkalenFehl.

Really great stuff! I half expected him to stay. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the next installment.

12. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm glad I discovered this little jewel today! :) I'm all caught up and ready for the next post! :D

I love the way you have Anakin returning little by little while not happening too quickly. If you have a PM list, please add me to it.

13. Darth_Kripp

Darth_Kripp Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Good post: it is quite interesting to note that Vader hasn't learnt about his deceased daughter. I daren't imagine the consequences.

As for now, let's read the thoughts of the Emperor. He won't be pleased, for sure. His servant knows the truth and has killed every potential substitutes... except one.

14. sherazade

sherazade Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    =D= Bravissimo!!!

Please keep up the good work and PM me...[face_praying]

I love the tension...now Vader is confused and he is going to see Palpy with Anakin's goodness still sprouting...
    Great possibilities....

:)

15. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Oh I wonder what anakin is going to do. I am sure that this half man, half machine is Anakin, not Vader. He won't fail this time, i can't wait.

16. EmpressJade

EmpressJade Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2005
    I have to say those last two updates were truly amazing Skalen!
    You've done a excellent job in captivating, Vader's emotions to when he blacked out due to a dysfunction of his respiratory system, leaving him with the memories of his past.
    I can certainly feel the tension between Obi-Wan and his former apprentice, reunited after those many years.

He turned to face Obi-Wan. ?Why did you save me??

Obi-Wan inhaled deeply as he raised his hands in front of him in a submissive gesture. ?Because of what Padme said before she died,? he said softly.

Vader raised Obi-Wan's lightsaber to his throat. ?Be careful what you say old man.?

Obi-Wan swallowed as he considered his choice of words. Then he spoke carefully. ?She died in childbirth,? he replied raising his brow. ?Before she died she said something, which has echoed in my mind all these years. Something which I have hoped is true.?

Vader remained silent. His chest rose slightly with each breath as he waited for Obi-Wan to finish.

?Her dying words were, 'There is still good in him.' I know there is.'?

The lightsaber lowered in Vader's hands as if the gravity of those words had weighed heavily upon him. He remembered constricting her throat through the force in anger, but he knew that he had left her alive. She was so delicate, so beautiful. He had allowed himself to be deceived by Palpatine to murder innocent children and it was that same passion that swept him away blindly to willfully attack his own beloved wife.

The fear of loss is the path to the dark side.

Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is.

Indeed it was the fear of losing Padme that had snared the him. And it was that attachment that Palpatine had so skillfully exploited.

Outstanding!!=D=
    Loved how you've written with such fantastic detail to each character and how they are feeling.
    I found the scene with Vader looking over Shmi's gravestone,
    was very moving with such emotional depth, Vader was right however, Luke would have adored his grandmother...:(
    And now, Vader takes his leave from the homestead to return to the Emperor, I hoped he would stay but I wonder if maybe Obi-Wan has helped to rekindle the goodness still buried within Vader, can't wait to find out what happens in the next installment! :)

Great story! Very enjoyable also!=D=

17. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Beautiful!

PM me when you update next.

It just keeps getting juicier.

18. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Caught up now, and what a story.

My heart leaped to my throat when Vader had Obi-Wan's lightsaber.

Excellent story, that's beautifully written!

Many thanks for the PM, and looking forwards to more.

EG

19. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Awesome, just awesome, that was brilliant, Poor Vader, he makes ME confused!

Cheers_Cazza@};-

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A wonderful update. I love your portrayal of Vader's thoughts and emotions.

Vader turned to Obi-Wan. ?You have much to discuss with him.? He quickly turned around and walked towards the speeder.

?Anakin, where are you going?? Obi-Wan asked worrying.

?That name...? Vader paused, turning to Obi-Wan, ?...that name...? his voice trailed off. It hadn't meant anything to him in a long time. ?I must return to my master.?

?You don't have to go,? Obi-Wan beckoned. ?Stay here with us.?

?This is not my home,? Vader replied. ?Do what you must, Obi-Wan. You saved my life. I will spare yours.?

Vader climbed aboard the landspeeder and sped away leaving a dust cloud in its wake. Luke and Obi-Wan watched as he disappeared into the horizon.

Obi-Wan sighed heavily as if the weight of galaxy now rested on his shoulders. ?Come, let's take care of your uncle.? They turned around. He reached into his sleeve and pulled out a lightsaber.

Luke gazed at it with curiosity.

Obi-Wan clipped it to his belt. ?This once belonged to the greatest Jedi Knight in the galaxy.?

HUGS for all of them! [:D]

=D=

21. Amidala66

Amidala66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    That was another awesome update. You have certainly got into the habit of delivering wonderful chapters!!!

22. AndrewLightstar

AndrewLightstar Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2006
    Love the story can't wait till the next posting.

23. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    RebelMom : I wonder what he plans to do when he gets to his Master.

Tune in and find out. :)

SHADOW_MASTER_W: I kind of knew that Vader wasn't fully defeated but is certainly subdued.

Indeed. I didn't want to portray him as repentant, but forced to review his life and past mistakes.

Darth_Marrs : I really like how tightly focused you've kept the narrative. Your decision about killing Leia to keep it focused on Vader was a good one--it made this an even better story.

The Star Destroyer and the Tantive IV were destroyed along with everyone on board, that is for sure. ;)

BigE : Really great stuff! I half expected him to stay.

Thanks, bud.

bek: I love the way you have Anakin returning little by little while not happening too quickly.

Thank you very much.

Darth_Kripp: Good post: it is quite interesting to note that Vader hasn't learnt about his deceased daughter. I daren't imagine the consequences.

As for now, let's read the thoughts of the Emperor. He won't be pleased, for sure. His servant knows the truth and has killed every potential substitutes... except one.

Thank you for reading. Yes, Vader is fully aware of who can replace him if he doesn't think things carefully.

sherazade: I love the tension...now Vader is confused and he is going to see Palpy with Anakin's goodness still sprouting...
    Great possibilities....

Indeed, many possibilities. What will Vader decide to do when he returns to Palapatine?!

CodyMonKenobi: I am sure that this half man, half machine is Anakin, not Vader. He won't fail this time, i can't wait.

This time he won't fail!

EmpressJade: I have to say those last two updates were truly amazing Skalen!
    You've done a excellent job in captivating, Vader's emotions to when he blacked out due to a dysfunction of his respiratory system, leaving him with the memories of his past.
    I can certainly feel the tension between Obi-Wan and his former apprentice, reunited after those many years.

Thank you. I hope the conclusion is equally as amazing!

Brant_Flir: Beautiful!

Thank you!

EGKenobi: My heart leaped to my throat when Vader had Obi-Wan's lightsaber.

I hope you noticed at the end that Obi-Wan wasn't completely helpless. He literally had something "up his sleeve" just in case. ;)

edi_Master_Cazz: Awesome, just awesome, that was brilliant, Poor Vader, he makes ME confused!

Thank you!

VaderLVR64: A wonderful update. I love your portrayal of Vader's thoughts and emotions.

Thank you very much. :)

Amidala66: That was another awesome update. You have certainly got into the habit of delivering wonderful chapters!!!

Wow, thank you very much! [face_blush]

AndrewLightstar: Love the story can't wait till the next posting.

Thank you! I hope to have the conclusion posted sometime this weekend.

24. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Finally! After a week's worth of writing I present to you the conclusion. I hope you enjoy it.

---

Vader commandeered a small freighter on Tatooine from a hapless traveler just outside Anchorhead who had just arrived from a trade route through deep space. The man's only objection to his sudden plight came in the form of brief suffocation. From there he made his way to the nearest Imperial outpost and rendezvoused with the Accuser, an Imperial Class-I Star Destroyer, which was fitted with quarters that he had specifically designed for personal maintenance and meditation. More than a dozen key Imperial Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers were fitted with these identical quarters.

Avoiding pleasantries with the ship's captain and his welcoming entourage--a few subordinate officers and a garrison of stormtroopers, Vader dismissed them with a simple wave of his hand and marched directly to his quarters. Two sentries in the form of elite stormtroopers flanked either side of the entrance to his quarters.

?Under no circumstances am I to be disturbed!? Vader's voice intently bellowed through his vocoder. Chilled to their cores by the menacing electronic tone, they immediately stiffened at attention when he approached and entered through the double doors. Without pause he marched through this quarters to an inner bedchamber.

A tall gray door closed behind him as the dark and sterile room dimly illuminated. He walked to his berth--a tall bunk, which served as his bed as well as a diagnostic machine designed to keep his life support system at optimal levels. He sat down as a multijointed mechanical arm with specialized grips descended from the ceiling. With its rubber tips it gently removed the protective helmet and placed it in a small glowing niche on the wall. The swiveling arm returned to remove Vader's mask from its hermetic collar and placed it in a separate niche by the helmet. Once more it returned to remove the collar from Vader's neck to place it in another small niche by the mask and helmet. He stood up as small subservient droids quietly emerged from their dark alcoves to tend to him. They moved through the dimness to remove parts of Vader's suit for repairs and maintenance. His cape was first removed followed by his shoulder armor. A small droid removed the systems status belt from his waist while another unhooked his inner cape. Next his control function panel was unfastened from his midsection while his shin armor was unclipped from his boots. He stood motionless, staring ahead at the wall while he removed one glove at a time, exposing sensitive mechanical metacarpals with gold electrostatic fingertips, with which he used to relieve an itch where his right bicep connected with its cybernetc implanted arm. The small droids quietly moved back into the darkness and deactivated. The diagnostic computer above the bed activated and the small droids began quietly with repairs to the damaged life support systems that had repeatedly weakened him on Tatooine.

Vader gazed through the long horizontal window with his naked eyes through space as stars sped past in streaks of light as he thought about his son.

My name is Luke Skywalker!

Vader saw himself as that once defiant youth when Luke had revealed his identity earlier today. He had never before considered that his child had survived Padme's tragedy. Now more than ever did he consider his failure in saving her. She had tried taking him away--far away from the web of lies that had veiled his senses. He had allowed himself to become what was most reprehensible when he knelt before Palpatine. He could still feel what seemed like jagged shards of glass against his knees. Better judgement had screamed in his face as he lowered himself before the Sith Lord and pledged himself to do his bidding.

Just help me save Padme's life. I can't live without her. I won't let her die. I want the power to stop death.

He spoke her name softly as if somehow through space and time she could hear him. There was no reply but the faint whirring of sm

25. Darth_Kripp

Darth_Kripp Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Nice ending, with a so powerful Vader! :D
    Will there be a sequel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.