main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Different Path - Quotation Roulette Response w/ OCs

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Shadowolf, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Title: A Different Path
    Author: Shadowolf
    Characters: OCs Jaidyn Solaris, Eliam
    Summary: The story of a Conscientious Objector
    Timeframe: Sometime after AotC and before Stover's "Shatterpoint" novel.
    Disclaimer: I don?t own Star Wars. If I did I?d be on a beach sipping something with rum in it and not working. :)
    Authors? Note: For Vader Incarnate?s Quotations Roulette Challenge Quote #134: The idealist deals with facts as much as the realist. He merely sees them differently. ~ George Eliot, from Felix Holt.
    Author's Note II: Thank you Anakins_Force for the most excellent beta! :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Master, the Republic is splitting apart!" Eliam exclaimed as he hurried to catch up with his master.

Jai?dyn Solaris walked briskly, not thinking of his padawan?s shorter gait. "It has been for some time, Eliam. We?ve done what we could to hold the Republic together but I fear the Jedi may not be able to stop this succession now. Nor am I sure we should."

"Master!" Eliam was shocked. One of the things he admired about his mentor was his deep devotion to the Republic. To hear him speak the words of a Separatist shook Eliam. "You don?t really mean that...do you?"

"I do, but an explanation for my reasons will have to wait until I?ve spoken to the Council. In the mean time, Padawan, meditate on your feelings on this matter. You may gain some insight that I have not." He squeezed Eliam?s shoulder then turned and walked away.

Eliam stared after him for several moments before sighing and muttering, "How can I gain insight you have not, when I don?t even know what you?ve already discovered?"

He raked a hand through his spiked hair and trudged down the hallway toward the meditation chambers. As an energetic boy, it was difficult for Eliam to find the inner calm that was needed for meditation.

Jai?dyn promised that the difficulty wouldn?t always plague him. Jai?dyn assured Eliam that as he matured, he would find the calm more easily and meditation would become a welcome respite to the hectic galaxy. Eliam doubted it.

His master had always been studious; in his youth, Jai?dyn was more interested in his studies rather than the mischief of typical padawans. The calm came easy to Jai?dyn, but he had to struggle with the physical. His own determination overcame his difficulties, but he still preferred quiet contemplation or energetic debate to running or a good old-fashioned tussle.

As he settled himself on the meditation platform Eliam wondered if the differences in their natures was what made he and Jai?dyn such a good pairing. There was nothing Eliam wouldn?t do for his Master and he knew Jai?dyn felt the same way. Some padawans worried that they didn?t please their masters, that they were failing in their training, but Eliam was different. He knew he pleased Jai?dyn both with his successes and his failures. Everything was a teaching moment and Jai?dyn made sure his young charge learned from his mistakes.

As he finally started to relax into his meditation, Eliam pushed his thoughts out of his mind. Whatever concerns his master had he would share them when he was ready, Eliam just had to be patient. Unfortunately patience had never been Eliam?s strength.

Jai?dyn waited outside the Council chambers with a tempest raging inside him. How dare they assign Jedi to fight in this war! How could they even consider such a thing, sending padawans barely old enough to shave into such wasted battles, risking their lives for a senseless cause?

Ever since the disaster at Geonosis more and more Master-Padawan pairs were going into the field with orders to lead the clone army into battle. Clones that died only to have others replace them. When he closed his eyes and allowed himself to relax into the Force it was no longer a blissful action--the Force cried out with despair. To Jai?dyn, the Force was dying, something he couldn?t fathom yet a conclusion he could not turn away from.

When the padawan on duty opened the Council chamber?s door Jai?dyn composed him

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    This is your best stuff, Shadowolf!! =D= I really enjoyed this! Conflict breeds conflict. Your Master Solaris clearly understands this. You portray the Jedi Council beautifully, too. Their inability to see, or refusal to accept, the repercussions of their decisions is what lead to their downfall as much as Anakin Skywalker's turn to the dark side. I'm really happy to see you play this so well.

And I love the fact that this character is not blind to the realities (your use of the quote is great, here) of the political situation. He does a better job of releasing his attachments than any on the Council ever could! =D= Bravo! Well done!

Oh! And...*commences first post dance* [face_dancing] :p

3. Shadowolf

May 4, 2005
    [face_dancing] You liked it!!! Thank you So much, Souderwan! [:D]

I know I usually wait until there's more than one response before doing an author reply, but you thrilled me with some of your comments so I couldn't help it. :)

Jai'dyn has been in my head screaming to get out and into his story since before RotS came out, I just hadn't found the best way to introduce him so this quote challenge was a blessing!

I'm very glad the Council seemed in character, I had a debate going last night with my offline alpha reader about whether or not they were in character. She didn't think so, thought they'd be much more understanding and willing to take his concerns into account (yet not allow him to leave the order, odd huh?) So I'm glad that majority rules (2 out of 3 readers so far that is) agreed with my take on the council. :)

4. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    As I told you before, I really like your premise. I think the Jedi could have used a few more independent thinkers.

Your Council was perfectly in character--they 'bristle' when they are questioned and refuse to consider other points of view. For all their lecturing otherwise, Mace and Yoda have big egos.

I like seeing a Jedi with convictions--and Jai'dyn made some really strong points about the war--such as
    "Our mandate is to keep the peace in the galaxy, not to fight a war for one government over another. The Jedi have been the Guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy since long before the Republic was born. By allowing the Senate to order us into a war, we are turning our back on justice. Our focus should be on finding Count Dooku and his Sith partner, not fighting droids on Malastare or Sullust.

Great job relating the quote to the story!

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    A most excellent response to the challenge my dear padawan learner! [:D]=D=

6. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    "But I will not fight. I will not forget my mandate as a Jedi to keep peace and justice in the galaxy and to remain on the side of the Light.

?I want no part of a war that will take the Light away from us."

Loved this! A great answer to the challenge, and a really moving vignette. Thanks!

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautifully done! =D=

8. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I enjoyed the perspective of Jai'dyn regarding the Clone Wars. I was always surprised at how aware the Jedi seemed of the path that the war was leading them and the Republic down, but also at the resigned way in which they accepted it.

Also, I would not be opposed to seeing more of Jai'dyn, he seems like a pretty cool OC ;)

Nice job!

9. Shadowolf

May 4, 2005
    Anakins_Force Thank you! Your help was tremendous! [:D] I agree, the Jedi, much as I love them really needed a few folks that thought outside the box and against the Council a little more often. :)

Layren Thank you Master! I worked real hard on this one! :)

Wendynat Thank you so much! I'm very glad this came across as well as I wanted it to.

VaderLvr64 OK, I'm doin' a happy dance here cause I love your stuff so much! Thank you! (hrm...just went a bit fangirl there...[face_blush])

Exeter Thank you! Yeah, I can't really accept how the council knows where the war is leading the Order and they just go along with it. That bugs me everytime I think of it. I'm so glad you liked Jai'dyn, he will be showing up more often.

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Very well written.=D=
    I like the way you narrate a lot and Jai'dyn is such a wonderful character. Very credible and I felt with him from the very beginning.
    The way you portraied the Jedi Council was very good, too. Solaris shares a point of view with me there. I like how he stood his ground and stayed true to himself.
    =D= =D= =D=

Now I wonder if there is any more about him (and his Padawan). If there ever is, please pm me about it. I'd like to read more about him very much.

EDIT: Who hit the 'Post-Button', huh?[face_frustrated]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.