main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Different Point of View CONCLUDED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by soxtalon, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soxtalon

soxtalon Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    The following is part I of an expounding on the end of RotJ...a more indepth look at what's going on all from Anakin and Vader's POV. I hope you dig..

BREATH. BREATH.

?The Emperor has been expecting you,? he said calmly, though he felt a tingling running down what was left of his spine.

?I know, father,? came the simple reply.

?So, you have accepted the truth,? he continued smiling behind the dark visage.

?I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father,? Luke said sharper than he intended to.

Anakin Skywalker. Vader let that wash over him momentarily before snapping into the present.

?That name no longer has any meaning for me,? he snapped quickly.

?It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That is why you couldn't destroy me. That's why you won't bring me to your Emperor now,? Luke said turning away.

Forgotton? How could he ever forget? His son couldn?t know the depths of emotion he was stirring up. Is he right? Could I turn away? No?he doesn?t understand.

?I see you have constructed a new lightsaber,? he said instead. Vader ignited the lightsaber and examines the brilliant, humming green-white blade that came between father and son. ?Your skills are complete. Indeed, you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen.?

For a brief moment, Vader lets a touch of pride wash over him. The pride turns to sadness. Did he really want his son to walk the same path he did. I have no choice!
    They stand for a moment, the Vader extinguishes the lightsaber.

?Come with me,? he says trying to pierce Vader?s literal and figurative mask.

Vader?s hand tightened on the lightsaber as he turns away. From the pain. From the anger. From everything that fueled him up until this point. He never allowed himself a moment of doubt. Not since Naboo.
    ?Obi-Wan once thought as you do,? he said almost wistfully, as did your mother. But that thought went unsaid. A path he couldn?t follow, especially now.

BREATH BREATH.

I want this. I want to leave! Why do I stand here!
    Master.

Palpatine would find them both. He would kill them both. Vader was all that stood in his way and if he betrayed his master. His master would surely never let them rest until they were both dead. Is this what he had been fighting for thirty years for? Had he been wrong all this time? Had Obi-wan been right? Had she been right?

No. I refuse to believe that. Luke must be made to understand!
    Luke steps close to Vader, then stops. Vader is still for a moment, then sharply turns.

?You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master!? he says with conviction.

?I will not turn...and you'll be forced to kill me, Luke said with a suggestion in his voice.

?If that is your destiny,? Vader said emotionlessly.

I will control the anger. I will control the rage.. I don?t want to kill him. Please Luke, listen. Don?t make me destroy you like your mother did.
    Luke stepped a bit closer pleading with Vader. ?Search your feelings, father. You can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate!?

Vader felt his shoulders sag.

?It is too late for me, son,? he said. ? The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now.?

Vader signaled to some distant stormtroopers. Luke glared at Vader with such pity that for the first time in over twenty-five years, Darth Vader nearly felt his heart.

?Then my father is truly dead.?

Luke was led off by the guards. Darth Vader watched briefly before turning away and leaning over the guard rail, watching the sky very intensely.

I?m sorry Luke?

I?m sorry?

Padme.
    BREATH. BREATH.

To be continued...

2. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    This bloody well better be continued! I like this.

3. soxtalon

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks Exxaciel! Here is the continuation promised:

BREATH BREATH

The elevator door opened and father and son walked into the expansive throne room. Sitting in a throne of a chair almost exactly as he was when Anakin and Obi-wan had "rescued" him from Count Dooku, sat Emperor Palpatine. Paying no attention to the crimson cloaked guards, they glided
    across the dark space to stand before the throne, beneath the gaze of the Emperor. Vader bows to his Master.

"Welcome, young Skywalker. I have been expecting you," he said with a trace of cockiness.

Luke peers at the hooded figure defiantly.

Vader watched with interest as his son and master interacted.

Looking down at Luke's binders, Palpatine motioned with a hand, "You no longer need those."

Luke's binders fall away, clattering to the floor.

Luke looks down at his own hands, free to do whatever he pleases. Vader tightens in anticipation. He knows what he would have done when he was younger.

Luke does nothing.

Vader smiles wryly beneath the dark mask. Already he has matured in the short time between Cloud City and now. He would make a powerful ally.

Palpatine motioned towards the Crimson Guard. "Guarrds, leave us."

The red-cloaked guards turn and disappear behind the elevator.

"I'm looking forward to completing your training. In time you will call me Master," Palpatine began.

Vader stiffened. He knew this to be, but it made him angry. But why? Was he angered at the possibility of being replaced? Or was he angered that his son would be subjugated to the fate that was his alone. This was a fine line to walk, but if Vader could succeed with his plan, it would be worth it.

"You're gravely mistaken. You won't convert me as you did my father," Luke stated.

Relaxing, Vader almost imperceptibly shook his head. He was his son alright. So sure of himself.
    In a different time and place...

BREATH. BREATH.

The Emperor stood up and seemingly floated down to wher Luke stood. Looking into his eyes Luke can
    fully perceive the evil visage within the hood that his father first witnessed so long ago.

"Oh, no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken...about a great many things," he said with a sneer.

"His lightsaber," Vader said offering his son's weapon to his master. He didn't trust his voice at the moment to say more than that at this moment. A lot of emotions were swirling threatening the rage that had for so long sustained him.

"Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's. By now you must know your father can never be turned from the dark side. So will it be with you," Palpatine snapped.

Vader turned towards his son, and back towards his master. His rage began to return, but directed elsewhere.

"You're wrong. Soon I'll be dead...and you with me," Luke said with a trace of a grin.

Oh son, Vader thought. He's played you all for fools!

Palpatine laughs out loud, "Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of your Rebel fleet."

Luke looks up sharply in surprise. Vader looks in almost pity. It was times like this, he was glad for the mask. He could hide his face from the world.

"Yes...I assure you we are quite safe from your friends here," Palpatine snapped.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness," Luke states trying desperately to regain the upperhand.

"Your faith in your friends is yours," Palpatine retorts just as quickly.

"It is pointless to resist, my son," Vader said slowly. He needed this. He needed Luke to join the dark side but on his terms, not Palpatine. If Luke turned too quickly, he would be lost to Palpatine forever. Vader focused on shielding his thoughts from his master.

The Emperor turned to face Luke.
    "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends up there on the Sanctuary Moon...are walking into a trap. As is your Rebel fleet!"

Luke reacted to the thought of his friends on Endor. Vader noted this. Could it be that easy? Of course. Luke will join me to save his friends![

4. soxtalon

Aug 16, 2002
    BREATH BREATH

Through the large spiderwebbed window encircling behind the Emperor's throne, Palpatine watched with glee at the distant flashes of the space battle in progress. He turned to Luke and with a slight sneer he said, "Come, boy. See for yourself."

Luke stole a glance at his unmoving father before he looked beyond the withered, yet powerful old man towards his friends.

Vader sat there knowing that Luke would be goaded into attacking Palpatine and fidgeting about how to handle it. He wanted to watch Luke cut Palpatine down, see the old man's face as he realized that he had not forseen this. Revenge! But he could not. For all the power that Darth Vader had inside, Palpatine had one power that Vader did not have. The power of manipulation. Vader could not turn Luke, even with the bond of father to son. Vader could not turn Padme, could not make her see. Palpatine could turn anyone around with the twist of a word. All he needed was a turning screw.

No, Luke would attack Palpatine and Vader would have to stop him. Only a full-fledged Sith could truly kill Palpatine. He'd have to bide his time.

Vader slowly moved to stand next to his master, hand still straying on his lightsaber.

Luke walked towards a small section of the window.

"From here you will witness the final destruction of the Alliance, and the end of your insignificant Rebellion," Palpatine spat, and then grinned.

Luke stood in silent torment. He glanced at his lightsaber sitting on the armrest of the throne. The Emperor watches him and smiles, touches the
    lightsaber.

"You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to
    your anger. With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant."

Vader watches Luke, as they both are in separate agonies.

Luke takes a deep breath before facing up to the Emperor.

"No!"

Palpatine looks slyly upon him.
    "It is unavoidable. It is your destiny. You, like your father, are now mine!"

Vader bristled almost imperceptibly at his master's taunt.

BREATH BREATH.

The Emperor, Vader, and Luke watched the aerial battle fireworks out the window and on the viewscreens, with differing emotions. Luke was horrified and felt a need to help anyway he could, Palpatine was grinning ear to ear with nothing to fear, and Vader watched with none whatsoever. Another Rebel ship exploded against the protective shield, sending another of Luke's friends into the emptiness of space.

"As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed."

Vader paused for a second, confused before realizing that Palpatine was talkign to Luke. This angered Vader. The one thing he had left, was being Palpatine's apprentice. Now Palpatine himself was throwing him away!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station!" He flipped a switch on his chair, "Fire at will, Commander."

Luke, in shock, rushes to look across the surface of the Death Star to the Rebel fleet beyond.
    Out of the window and on the view screens, the Rebel fleet is being decimated in blinding explosions of light and debris. But in here there is no sound of of the death and destruction. The Emperor turns to Luke.

"Your fleet has lost. And your friends on the Endor moon will not survive. There is no escape, my young apprentice. The Alliance will die...as will your friends," he finished slowly, throwing a quick, knowing glance at Vader.

Luke's eyes are full of rage. Vader watches him intently and thinks he is looking into a mirror. The thought makes him proud and scares him to death at the same time.

"Good. I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon! Strike me down with all your hatred, and your journey towards the dark
    side will be complete!" Palpatine intensely spits out towards Luke.

NO! Vader has heard this speech before before making the decision! The decision that led them all here to this moment.

But Luke, like Anakin before him, can resist no

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've only read the first post, but I'm impressed! I can't wait to catch up! Looking forward to more soon. =D=

6. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh! :eek:
    Nice work here, soxtalon!

7. soxtalon

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks! This is the conclusion...a little long. :)

~~

BREATH. BREATH.

Green and Red are engaged in a test of wills.

He is more polished then he was in Cloud City,
    Vader thought, but ultimately, still a kid. He has the power of the Jedi, but lacks the refinement to be a true master of the lightsaber.

Vader toyed with Luke for a moment until Luke presses a flaw in Vader's style that his lackadaiscal approach had offered. Luke steps in and presses Vader back, losing his balance, near the steps and Luke takes this moment to send a kick to his chestplate. Surprised, Vader flips down the stairs and quickly regains his footing.

Luke stands at the top of the stairs, as if deciding whether he should press this advantage or not. Before he can, Palpatine stands.

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy! Let the hate flow through you," he intones.

Luke looks momentarily toward the Emperor, then back to Vader, and realizes he is touching the dark side.

Vader stands unnerved. He has heard this very speech before, almost word for word. A small part of him is rooting for Luke to fight back. He snarls at this disembodied voice until it is consumed by his anger. He simply needs Luke dark so they can rule the galaxy as father and son! Nothing more. Nothing less.

Luke steps back and turns off his lightsaber. He relaxes visibly to Palpatine's disappointment, and Vader's concern.

"Obi-Wan has taught you well," Vader says slowly hoping mentioning both their former master might re-spark his rage.

"I will not fight you, father," Luke says.

Vader walks back up the stairs to Luke. You will son. You must.

"You are unwise to lower your defenses." Vader attacks with a flourish and Luke is forced to re-ignite his saber to defend from his father's fury.
    Luke has never seen Vader in full strength before. He still hadn't.

Despite the increased intensity, Vader still was only toying with Luke. At anytime Vader could end this conflict. Luke simply wasn't in his league yet. This wasn't a surprise, he hadn't had the time to truly develop fully.

The young Jedi leaps in an amazing reverse flip up to the safety of the catwalk overhead. Vader
    stands below him, looking up in appraisal.

Good, son. Better than I gave you credit for.

"Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you...the conflict," Luke said intently.

Vader was shocked. What? "There is no conflict," was all he could say.

"You couldn't bring yourself to kill me before, and I don't believe you'll destroy me now," Luke said slightly hesitantly.

Vader shook his head. You still don't understand. I must make you.
    "You underestimate the power of the dark side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!"

Vader arced his lightsaber towards his son and let go. The saber flew threw the air and nearly cut Luke in half, before slicing through the support beams of the catwalk. The catwalk tumbled off balance, unceremoniously dumping Luke to the ground in a shower of sparks and flickers. He rolls out fo sight underneath Palpatine's platform. Vader uses the Force to retrieve his lightsaber and moves to find him.

"Good. Good!" the Emperor laughs.

Vader stalked the low-ceilinged area on the level below the throne, searching for Luke in the semi-darkness, his lightsaber held ready. Luke hid from view. Vader began to grow impatient.

"You cannot hide forever, Luke." he said sharply.

"I will not fight you," Luke said piously.

Vader felt the need, out of Palpatine's sight to try again to gain Luke's loyalty using the only manipulation he knew...because it was used on him...

"Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends," Vader said searching to pinpoint his son. There are his friends. Almost as strong as my love for...FOCUS

"Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong." Wait...what is this?

"Especially for..."

Vader stops and senses something. Luke shuts his eyes tightly, in anguish.

No! Vader t

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Nicely done! =D=

9. soxtalon

Aug 16, 2002
    Thank you very much :

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhh loved the lay out and personal delving into Vader/Anakin there! Lovely ending! [face_love]

Well done! =D=

11. Trojan_Rabbit

Trojan_Rabbit Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2006
    WOW!!

That was GREAT!

12. Exxaciel

Mar 10, 2005
    All I can say is this: =D=

13. soxtalon

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to read :) I'm glad you liked it!

14. sherazade

sherazade Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    =D= I am so glad I found this story, so touching! You have done well, my friend...I was only fishing for good stories and this one is excellent!
    :) =D=

15. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Great work =D==D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.