main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A different type of light weapon

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Primus6, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Primus6

Darth_Primus6 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2007
    I have started working on a different type of light weapon, the Light Whip.
    It is still in the developmental stage, but here are a few pics. Hope you enjoy

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/jedi006/my%20creations/lightwhips1255.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/jedi006/my%20creations/DSCN1286.jpg

2. TenelKaSolo

TenelKaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    That's pretty cool! You'll have to give us some more info when it's passed the "deveopmental stage"!

3. Darth_Primus6

Sep 13, 2007
    will definitely keep ya'll posted on progress, i'm working on the hilt and internal electronic right now.

4. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Those look pretty freakin sweet! It would be great to have a bunch of people in Wookiee costumes with some Imperial with those in-hand. Maybe have a Han Solo present...

replay a familiar scene. Some Imperial elitist force-whips some Wookiee slaves and Han sees the brutality and knocks the Imperial out, thus standing up for the Wookiees and getting kicked out of the Imperial Navy. That would be a cool sight to see!

Excellent work, my friend.

- Bill

5. Hasid-Lafre

Hasid-Lafre Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2007
    Iam curious about the lightwhip in the comics and everythign else. does it act like a real whip would when it isent on or is it like a lightsaber where theres only a whip when its on?

6. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    My understanding of the mechanics of it is that it works very much like a real-world whip. Only instead of the physical parts that make up the whip, it is lazer technology, instead. It can cut, thrash, maime and wound, but it doesn't lop off limbs like the lightsaber does. There is probably some sort of governor control on it that prohibits it from acting like a lightsaber.

In the Star Wars universe there are archaic weapons; knives, clubs and slugthrowers (basically projectile weapons). But there is also the vibro technological weapons too. Think of any real world weapon and there is a vibro equivalent. I vibroblade for instance is a knife that utilizes lazers on his cutting surface to make it a sharper implement, the vibro axes the Gammorrean guards carry are the of same technology.
    Stun battons are basically clubs with a sonic resonating device that inflicts more pain upon contact. The point of this narrative is that to answer your question, yes it is just a whip. But with the technological advances forwarded it.

I was a Star Wars RPGer back in the day. I learned a lot of technical stuff as it relates to weapons, ships, equipment and gear. It has made me the geek that I am today! :)

- Bill

7. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Cool good work on that primus. Cant wait to see the finished product.

8. Hasid-Lafre

Hasid-Lafre Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2007
    Thats some cool info. thanks for sharing it.

9. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Anytime I am allowed to let my geekness shine, I am a happy man! Always happy to extend my SW knowledge to my fellow fans and geeks! :)

- Bill

10. Darth_Primus6

Sep 13, 2007
    Unlike the ligth saber, the light whip tendrils are only encased in a deadly electro field. When off it looks like a regular whip, but hit the switch and its BBQ time...

11. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    That is pretty much the same concept with the vibro-bladed weapons and stun-batons. They will work in their "primitive" (for lack of a better word) state, but are just way more effective when "energized".

- Bill

12. Radstrike

Radstrike Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2007
    Awsome work!

According to the new Legacy of the Force books (The novel series, not the comics {Why they had to name them the same thing I'll never know}) the light-whip functions almost exactly like a lightsaber; i.e. it can cut, caturize, burn, heat up your coffee, ect.
    There are powered whips in the Star Wars EU, but they are just called "power whips".
    Whereas the light saber has a maximum of three focusing crystals in the hilt, the whip has them down the whole length of the strands. Power is projected down the length of the whip, causing the "lightsaber effect".
    The whip is not impervious to a lightsaber, however, like other lightsabers. While it can stop a lightsaber, a strong enough blow, or simply repeated attacks will shear the crystals from the strands, as was described in "Bloodlines" I think.
    The quotation of which I speak went something like this, "Luke blocked the swinging strands of the lightwhip, causeing shards of crystal and pieces of leather to fly across the room."
    That's not a direct quotation, just kind of how I remembered it.

13. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    You are wrong about how vibroblades work. They work like they sound like they would, the blades vibrate. From Wikipedia: A vibroblade is a class of science fiction weapon that uses an ultrasonic generator attached to a bladed weapon like a knife or sword. The ultrasonic vibrations along the blade's edge allow it to cut through much denser materials than would normally be posssible.

And, laser is an acronym. Maybe you think it's spelled "lazer", because of the Lazer Tag games. It stands for Light Amplifictaion by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Back on topic. I look forward to seeing someone actually make a light whip, instead of just talking about it, which is something I myself am guilty of. Even though I've been thinking about it for years, I still haven't made one. [face_blush]

I was thinking of something more simple, using several straight strands of High Brightness EL wire, instead of trying to coil it around something.

14. Darth_Primus6

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, having done more than just talk about it. Here is my working light whip. I still have some cosmetic work still to do but hey atleast it works.Here is the link to see a short clip( might have to copy and paste)
    http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/jedi006/my%20creations/?action=view&current=lightwhip.flv
    and here are a few photos:
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/jedi006/my%20creations/lightwhiphilt.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/jedi006/my%20creations/lightwhip01.jpg]

15. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Pretty cool.

What did you wrap the EL wire around, if you don't mind me asking?

16. Darth_Primus6

Sep 13, 2007
    i used 14/2 galvanized electrical conduit, its flexible and holds the el wire nicely. Am trying to find some 3/4" clear shrink tube to secure the EL in about three places along the whips(that size shrink tube isn't easy to find here)

17. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I was going to respond to a post in public, but I have decided to take it privately, instead...

- Bill

18. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    It's kool AramysStrael, we understand. No worries.

Primus brought that bad mammajamma over to the house today, and let me tell you, He put his money where his mouth is, instead of just talking about it, he made a pretty wicked light whip.

So Bravo Zulu Primus...My apprentice. Oh such glorious treasures the Dark Side has in store for you my apprentice.

19. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Hey thanks jediknight88.... I had another issue entirely that I felt wasn't appropriate for the public board.

And on another side note, I did some further research on the vibro weapons. Just because I hate being told that I am wrong, especially when I think I am right. But I am also not above admitting when I am wrong, either. So with that said, I was in error about the technical stuff that I had reported in regard to the vibro weapons. I had stated that they used lasers, not lazers, when that is not the case. Just as Jedi-Loreen had pointed out, it uses ultra-sonic vibrations. I quote a source below:

Vibro Weapons
    "Vibro weapons are powered weapons, requiring energy cells to function. They generally have metallic blades that are sheathed in an ultrasonic field, causing the blades to vibrate very quickly. An unpowered vibro weapon functions as a standard melee weapon of the same general type.
    The wide variety of vibro weapons includes the vibrodagger; the large, swordlike vibroblade; and several models of vibro-ax, as well as the other types described here. A similar weapon is the force pike, which, unlike other vibro weapons, is designed to release a stun charge instead of ultrasonic damage. Merr-Sonn, SoroSuub and Czerka all make standard vibro weapons."

Source:
    Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Arms and Equipment Guide
    by Jeff Grubb and Owen K.C. Stephens
    page 30
    copywrite 2002

So, it is clear to me that I had mis-remembered the facts of these weapons. It has been awhile since I have brushed up on the tech specs. An error like this can be a good thing, as it allows me to go back and research the material again. I think I was confusing the ultrasonic field to be that of a series of lasers that make the blade more effective.
    At any rate, there is a solid source on the subject. One that is independent of the flawed sources often associated with Wikipedia.

- Bill

20. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    That lightwhip is freaking SWEET!
    Good job on that!

21. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    Modern day vibro blade
    [image=http://www.gillettefusion.com/us/assets/images/lowband/gf_intro_razor.jpg]

:p

The whip looks awesome! Fantastic job and a lot better than I could of even fathom coming up with.

22. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Modern day vibro blade..... I love it!

That lightwhip is really coming along. I am very impressed with the progress of it. It almost makes me want one.... but then I would have to do a costume that is fitting of such an accessory.

- Bill

23. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, I have the same problem, I'm not sure what kind of costume I'd wear a lightwhip with, if I ever get one made. Maybe I'll have to wait till I get my Sith costume done, some day. :p

24. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Did anyone ever read of Han Solo's earlier adventures, before he became the hero smuggler we all know and love? I've never read it, but there is that story of how he got drummed out of the military. Basically happening to come across some slave task master whipping a Wookiee, that we all come to know as Chewbacca, and beating the guy down.
    I am curious if anyone ever read this story and if so was the description of the task masters uniform ever made clear?
    I would envision someone of an Imperial nature being in something like the noncomm (or petty officer - black uniformed officers, or maybe coveralls... like a technician, perhaps, to be the one sporting such an implement of torture.

- Bill

25. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I think I read something about that years ago, in a old graphic novel that is smaller than regular comic books. I might even own it. If I do, then I have no idea where in my mom's garage it might be buried.

Do you think he might be using a lightwhip? Or something similiar? Maybe an energy whip.

I had thought about carrying a lightwhip with my generic Smuggler costume, but I don't know if that would be appropriate, because my character isn't a slaver, or necessarily a bad person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.