main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Different View

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jaded, Apr 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    Summary: Takes place after the events of "Darksaber." Luke's lamenting Callista's lost and Mara is there trying to help him work through his anger and grief.

No plot. No blood (sorry kids!) but plenty o' characterization if that's what floats your landspeeder.

"A Different View"
    by Jaded

He saw her coming but did not move from where he sat, perched precariously close to the cliff's edge. She took her time--almost a leisurely pace. He sensed that she was trying to come off as indifferent, but her eyes betrayed her. Her focus was trained on him, not straying from his face for one moment as she side-stepped rocks and shrubs to get to where he was.

Before she reached him, he turned around, swinging his legs over the cliff, staring out at the wilderness. He heard her boots stop directly behind him. Bits of rock and debris hit his back.

"You expect me to catch you if you fall?" she asked, amused.

He didn't turn. "Wouldn't it be more characteristic for you to want to shove me over the cliff, Mara?" he replied.

She moved to sit besides him. He felt her thigh brush against his as she sat down with him, overlooking the jungles of Yavin IV. "Only if you want me to." She shrugged, staring ahead. "Don't tempt me." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the slight upward turn of her lips into a knowing smile. They sat in a comfortable silence before she spoke again. "Nice view," she said with a snort.

"It could be better." He turned and looked at her, the reddish-gold aura of her hair reflecting the setting sunlight. Her features seemed to blur before him, as if he had never before seen her truly. He shifted. "I just came up here to think."

"You've been doing that a lot more than usual," she remarked. "And not doing too much to guard it. I can hear you screaming half-way across the universe."

"So that's why you're here?"

"No," she replied sarcastically. "It's because I can't resist your charms and I have to be near you whenever possible." She suddenly tensed. "Of course that's what I'm here," she recovered. "We are friends, aren't we?"

"Definitely," he said, taking her hand. By habit, she retracted it and tried as smoothly as possible to transition into a more comfortable position. Leaning back on both palms, she propped herself up with her arms.

"So you okay?" she asked.

He sighed. "About as expected."

"I would say worse," Mara commented honestly. "You like tired, Luke. Sick."

"That's because I am." He picked up a small stone and hurled it into the canyon below. The sound of the impact echoed around them. Gesturing, he said, "That's how I feel. Little stone, big noise. It's echoing through me and it won't go away. She just left me." He couldn't bare to say her name. His whole body screamed of despair.

"Then she's a bigger fool than I thought possible," Mara told him, a note of bitterness creeping into her voice.

[to be continued]

2. Jedi Tamara

Jedi Tamara Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 1999
    This is fabulous. I love how you use subtle little hints to make the scene romantic, such as "Her focus was trained on him" and "He felt her thigh brush against his", yet natural (as opposed to unrealisticly sensual and high-charged). Does that make sense? I'm not quite sure it came out how I meant it. Anyhow, you've written and absolutely beautiful scene, and I can't wait to read more.

3. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Wow, sounds like this is going to be another great story of yours jaded. To the top!!

Go Team Jade!

4. TheB5Fan

TheB5Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 1999
    Up you go. Now don't leave us hanging with this one

Remember Jaded, Fic first, school later.

5. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    This is REALLY good Jaded!!!! I love romance! Post more!!

6. TK-667

TK-667 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    More....or you will be terminated. B5 right, fic first skool later.

Kepp it up Jaded the fanfic wonder girl!

Cure Mara(sorry force of habit)!

7. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    A Different View cont.
    by Jaded

"Then she's a bigger fool than I thought possible," Mara told him, a note of bitterness creeping into her voice.

Luke seemed more pained by that comment then comforted by it. Mara almost reached over to hold him, but restrained herself. It was not her job to act as a substitute to temporarily erase the memory of the woman who had just left. She would not cheapen his feelings like that. She would not cheapen herself like that.

"I think Callista did what she thought was best for her, and you know Luke, whether or not she meant it to be that way, I think she did what was best for you, too."

"How is that?" he snapped.

She pursed her lips. "She had a lot of baggage. If she stayed she would never have felt right being with you, especially considering her history. She was once a Jedi Knight--to be without the force, it must have been like being a deaf musician. A bird without wings. No matter how much you two loved each other you could never fill that void."

"We could have made it work. It didn't matter to me if she couldn't touch the light side of the force!"

"Did it really, Luke?" She sighed warily, her body swaying slightly against the breeze. Her head bobbed closer to his. "People don't exist to complete each other," she told him, still uncharacteristically gentle. "When you love someone, you don't fill up the empty spaces. You should compliment them and make them better and stronger people."

He seemed not to hear. "She said she loved me and she left me. You don't know what it's like to love someone and have them--have them ignore your feelings in return. To leave you in this wretched state!"

Mara looked as though he had slapped her across the face. The pained expression disappated quickly though and was replaced by a mask of pure calm. She pulled herself up over the cliff's edge and moved to leave.

"I didn't come here to have a conversation on love and despair with you, Skywalker. And I didn't come here to have my confidence, or for that matter, my intelligence insulted. I came here because you are my friend and I wanted to be there for you if I could. Obviously, I'm not wanted here." Her eyes flashed like daggers.

A wave suddenly hit her. Blinking, she looked down. *I'm sorry,* was his thought. She shivered at the way he was able to talk to her through the force. Only the Emperor . . .

"I know what it's like to love and not be loved back," she muttered, not knowing or caring if he heard her. She slid back down next to him but her head was turned away. "Don't doubt it," she whispered through clenched teeth, "don't doubt it."

[to be continued]

8. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    more now, not later, now!

- TheB5Fan
    *master of coherent sentences*

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Ooooo!!!! I love it!
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I can hear you screaming half-way across the universe.GREAT line!!

More please!

10. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Looking good so far... keep it coming...

Now HERE'S a thread upper if I've ever seen one...

11. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    "A Different View" cont.
    by Jaded

Comments Welcome!

"I know what it's like to love and not be loved back," she muttered, not knowing or caring if he heard her. She slid back down next to him but her head was turned away. "Don't doubt it."

She wondered then, for a moment why she had let his comment slide so easily, why she had accepted his apology without another word.

*You're getting soft, Jade,* she observed, *Or at least towards certain farmboys,* a voice in the back of her mind chided.

"You think I'm over-reacting?" he asked.

"Maybe a bit, but most people would find that pardonable considering the circumstances."

"Most people, but not you?"

She shrugged. "Is it really my opinion that matters here?"

"I've always valued your opinion and judgement, Mara. As an ally and as a friend."

"I'm touched." She smiled through a grimace, not really sure what to make of the new track their conversation had taken. "Anyway . . ." she trailed. The wind blew a portion of her hair over her eyes and she let it sit there a moment before she considered moving it. Lifting a hand she was suddenly startled to find that it was seized by another, and awkwardly at that. Looking up, she saw that Luke had been moved by the same impulse and had reached over to brush away the red-gold hair that had obscured her face.

They were frozen in that position and for some reason, Mara felt locked into a strange, comfortable stillness, his hand cusped over hers. She dropped her hand as though it were a hot coal and stared at Luke Skywalker. She searched his eyes and expected to find embarrassment, but what she saw was not that but rather a tentative fear and a white-hot flash of unmistakable desire. She realized then that his hand, removed of hers had found residence on her face, and the stark contrast between the well-worked roughness of his skin against the smoothness of her cheek threw her violently back to reality. She drew back as if burnt, fumbling away abruptly and nerviously, forcefully putting a space between them as she inched away from him. However, there remained a cloud of tension between them two-feet thick.

[to be continued further at a later date...soon, hopefully...]

=jaded=

12. MJ.Frodo

MJ.Frodo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2000
    Cool Jaded Cool! Go on please MORE OF THIS!!

CURE MARA

13. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    muy bueno Keep it up

14. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    OMG jaded! This story is turning out so well!! Hopefully you can keep it going until Ruin comes out, distraction to keep our minds off of what happens in Ruin(Cure mara please!!!)

Great Job!!

Go Team Jade!

15. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Jaded...darlin'...YOU ROCK MY WORLD!!

Can you make an AU story just this once and not leave me so unfulfilled?

As always, GREAT JOB!
    Can I have your stuff for my site? Pretty, prety please?

MTFBWYA and CURE MARA NOW!
    Taramidala

16. TK-667

Feb 21, 2000
    More Jaded! Its my fix. Hurry, I'm impatient.....slowly heading toward....darkside. Not a good sign.

Awesome story, but don't finish at the release of Ruin. Finish it now!

Cure Mara!

17. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    WOW YOU GUYS! Thanks for the support! I just wrote this off the top of my head in the middle of the night...and it won't go away until it's done.

Taramidala, of course you can archive my stories on your page! Which ones do you want? I can email them to you.

AU? Is that "alternative universe"? I might just do that...they can't just sit there and not connect...hmm...oh the decisions...decisions...

=jaded=

STAY TUNED! More to come very soon!

18. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Jaded, can I have all the Mara ones you've written lately? That is, "Language of Leaving" and "To You, Red"? And also "Hindsight" and this one when you're done? OOH! I'm SO excited now, 'cause I'm gonna have to start a separate Mara section to my fanfic page now! YAY!

LOL, yes, AU means "alternate universe." Which this one had better be if you don't want to make me cry like "Language" did!

MTFBWYA
    "T"

19. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Page 2?? Tsk, tsk, tsk J!

"T"

20. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    This is soo good Jaded!!! I love romance!! (I used the Mara face just for you! teehee)

21. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    taramidala wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Page 2?? Tsk, tsk, tsk J!

Oh HUSH! Here's the part you've been waiting for. What can I say? I gave in to peer pressure...

"A Different View" cont.
    by Jaded

They were frozen in that position and for some reason, Mara felt locked into a strange, comfortable stillness, his hand cusped over hers. She dropped her hand as though it were a hot coal and stared at Luke Skywalker. She searched his eyes and expected to find embarrassment, but what she saw was not that but rather a tentative fear and a white-hot flash of unmistakable desire. She realized then that his hand, removed of hers had found residence on her face, and the stark contrast between the well-worked roughness of his skin against the smoothness of her cheek threw her violently back to reality. She drew back as if burnt, fumbling away abruptly and nerviously, forcefully putting a space between them as she inched away from him. However, there remained a cloud of tension between them two-feet thick.

Mara tried to swallow but her mouth had gone dry. She didn't dare look at him, so they waited in mutual silence for a little while longer before Luke offered the next word.

He could have said something--anything else to diffuse the potentially explosive situation they had gotten themselves into, but he did not veer off their current crash course. Instead he said her name and in a voice so broken and full of everything that had been left unspoken between them in the years they had known each other, that it shattered every single wall she had built up. It was a sonic boom rattling through her and it left her feeling for the first time in a long time, completely vulnerable and bare to the world.

"Mara . . ." he said it again, this time with more insistance that she look at him. Then Luke took her by surprise. A sneak attack. He opened up his emotions to her and she could not resist his pull.

His hand came to touch her face again, and this time she didn't pull away. They were a welcome coolness against the heated flush of her skin. He bit his lip and she mirrored his nervous tic. "I . . ." he started, his face hovering closer and closer to hers.

"No," she murmured, but making no effort to support her protests. "No, Luke," she repeated in barely a whisper.

"I know," he soothed, pressing his forehead against hers, "I know." Then with both hands he cupped her face, checking her eyes with his and following each flicker of her pupils. Without another word he kissed her gently, full on her lush mouth. Then he drew back and Mara felt the briefest flicker of disappointment wash over her, but then he kissed her again on one side of the mouth, than the other, making her forget the momentary regret.

He stopped and searched her again, gaguing her reaction. A stab of fear shot through Luke as she remained blank to him. The fear that he had gone too far and somehow destroyed anything they could have been to each other coursed through him. It hit him now that it was the same ache he had always felt around her, but had pushed into the background.

But Mara silenced his doubts. Though she knew better, something told her she had no reason not to do what she did next. She slung her arms around him, and pressing his body close to hers, Mara Jade kissed Luke Skywalker back with more passion than she ever thought she was capable of having.

[eh, it's not over yet--to be continued.]

=jaded=

22. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just made my day!

23. TheB5Fan

Dec 8, 1999
    Wow eek.gif

heheh whats next ?!

More more more

24. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Originally posted by TheB5Fan: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>heheh whats next ?! They both woke up a few hours later inside the Temple...

25. TK-667

Feb 21, 2000
    Awesome, truly awesome. We really want more.

Remeber Taramidala this is a family forum, but a little innuendo would not hurt!

Keep it up Jaded, its starting to get really good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.