main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Different View

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jaded, Apr 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealMaraJade

TheRealMaraJade Jedi Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Forums ... eating ... post

Since my last reply never came up, I'm here to post again!
    (and also because I can't stand to see anything related to ******** in top of anything...I hope there are no ******** fans here....but if you are here, I don't have any problem with you, I just don't like ********)

http://www.terravista.pt/Copacabana/5274/love.gif

I hope this will inspire you, Jaded, to wirte some more!

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Up again so Jaded will be on the Top where she belongs.

Hey TheRealMaraJade I like the Luke and Mara smilies. How did you do the beating heart? That is so cool.

3. TheRealMaraJade

Oct 8, 1999
    Rebelmom,The L&M icon is an animated gif, that's why the heart is beating...
    And with this post, the thread is on TOP!

TRMJ

4. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    Ah, amazing what a little motivation will do. Thanks guys. Here's the next part. More tomorrow, perhaps.

=jaded=

"A Different View" cont.
    by Jaded

Mara felt a smile form on her face, but tried to twist it into a frown. It came out as a half-grimace. Sniffing, she recovered, rolling her eyes at Luke, attempting to look unphased. "You know, Luke, if you keep talking that way I'm going to start thinking that the real Luke was replaced by another evil Luuke clone. That, or Lando's somehow taken over your body. Either way, I'm going to have to kill you, and this time, I really mean it."

The sun, which had slowly been progressing closer and closer to the horizon, had kicked into high speed and was now dipping fast into the landscape. A shadow crossed his face as the orb of light fled from the sky behind him. Mara frowned. He wasn't angry or annoyed, was he? She licked her dry lips, and waited. Nothing I'm not used to, she thought dryly, but his unreadable face; his silence, was getting to her. Of course, it was a well-proven fact that Luke Skywalker could always get under her skin, and would always get under her skin. And now, she had finally acknowledged to him, and to herself, that he was now making a beeline straight to her heart, and she was prepared to let him through whenever he was prepared to take that step. But not before he was truly ready.

Then he laughed, and relieved, Mara let out a breath she hadn't realized she had been holding. Then he cleared his throat, armed with a question that was dangling on the tip of his tongue.

"Yes?" she drawled, a mischievous glint dancing in her eyes.

"Ah. . ." And with that single syllable, Mara felt herself flood with a strange, tingling sensation. That was the Luke she knew, and although the charming and intensely passionate Luke she had gotten to known not too long ago was not unwelcome, the honest, almost still-shy and naive farmboy was the Luke that she really . . .

". . . Lando?" He gulped.

Mara blinked up. "Run that by me again?"

He seemed more nervous, almost unsure about repeating the question. "So the rumors about you and Lando . . ." She noted that he was shifting his feet.

So he hadn't been completely oblivious to her all this time, she thought, and the feeling of past bitterness filled her. But instead of feeling resentment she felt a last wave of regret sweep through. Maybe the last. A smile touched her face, wavering but still tightly controlled.

For a moment, Mara considered toying with him, but changed her mind, going into an entirely different direction than her character would normally dictate. *Or the direction that everyone else in the entire, blasted galaxy would expect from you,* the voice in her head reminded wryly.

So where she would have teased, she instead was straight-forward and serious. Where she would have stood firmly in place, she stepped towards him, almost close enough to touch nose to nose. Mara held Luke rapt in her gaze, and she found herself unable to rip her eyes from him for even a second. Reaching out, not even bothering to look because she just knew that her hands would automatically slide into his, Mara and Luke felt their hands touch and felt fingers instantly twine together. She squeezed lightly and parted her lips to speak.

Lifting their hands together, Mara pressed them over her heart. She looked at him fondly. "That's just what they were. Unfounded rumors with no basis." She looked up towards the sky, thinking. "Now if Lando has said otherwise . . ." The tightness in his face eased and the small wrinkles around his eyes did a disappearing act.

"I wouldn't want to be Lando."

"You have no idea how glad I am to hear that," she laughed.

[Yeah, still more...I'm getting there]

5. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Yay!! Thank you Jaded! BTW, how did finals go anyway?

GoTeamJade!!

6. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I hope Lando hasn't been talking out of turn or it's lights out for him.

It's amazing how into this story people are when you realize that it's all conversation.

Quite a compliment to the writer I think.

I guess stories don't have to have space battles and lightsaber duels to keep people reading.

7. TheRealMaraJade

Oct 8, 1999
    Thanks for the last post Jaded!

8. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Either way, I'm going to have to kill you, and this time, I really mean it.

That's a classic Mara line. Go Team Jade!

9. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    *sniff* You know? I'm going to be really sad to see this story finish.

Great post, J. To the top.

10. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    You guys are so good to me I'm getting all choked up.

Nothing new tonight--I'm still trying to recover for the season finale of the X-Files..(omg omg omg). But something new our favorite Jedi, Mara Jade & Luke Skywalker.
    soon--and as this has to end eventually, something new will spring up--probably a few stories, actually, and of course, starring
    =jaded=

11. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Heh heh, J, don't you mean you're trying to recover FROM the season finale of X-Files? Yeah, tonight's was a good one. Too bad Scully's cancer reminds me of Mara, LOL.

But the ENDING?? All I kept saying was "WHO? WHO?" Anyone who saw the episode knows what I'm talking about...

Will we ever find out? We'll see. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The truth is out there

Okay, now that I'm off THAT tangent, LOL, TOPPERS for the story!

"T"

12. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    *T*, lol, yes, I meant recover FROM.

And in answer to "Whose is it?" You remember the episode "All Things" that Gillian Anderson wrote? You remember the first and last scene? Yep, that's who.

You know, like how Scully was sick and how Mara is sick--well, maybe Mara will follow in Scully's footsteps and get better, and then some as the season finale of the X-Files showed.

=jaded=

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Off-topic, sorry, but to bide our time until the next story post...

The X-Files season finale was awesome!! There is a thread in Community about it and there are speculations about an alien conception. But they've done that already!! Her daughter...sad show. And notice the way she said, <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have to. about finding Mulder! God, wouldn't that be awesome!! But, knowing Chris Carter, we'll never find out for sure or she'll conveniently miscarry before next season. *sigh* <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I hope not.

Oh yeah, and, great story Jaded! Uppers!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 05-22-2000).]

14. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    Here's some more. I might actually end this story one of these days...

=jaded=

"A Different View"
    by Jaded

"I wouldn't want to be Lando."

"You have no idea how glad I am to hear that," she laughed.

"Not as glad as I am to know that those things weren't true," he admitted, inclining his head in embarrassment. "I'm ashamed of it, now that I think about it." The flecks of color in his eyes swam. "It wasn't any of my business . . ." he trailed off.

Mara touched his hands to her lips chastely, but their combined reaction still caused a significant ripple in the force. "No, Luke, don't be ashamed of it. I'm actually . . . flattered, that I meant enough to you . . ." She pursed her lips, the words coming faltering out of her mouth. "What I mean is--knowing that you're still capable of feeling jealousy, it makes you that much more to me. It shows that you're still human." She stroked his face with a hand she freed from his grasp. "A beautiful, flawed man who can still change and grow. One who teaches as he learns, and learns as he teaches." A deeper note of tenderness crept into her voice. "Who with his faults is more perfect than the most faultless of men."

And ultimately, she thought to herself, the only man who could break my heart with one look, and the only one I would forgive for doing so.

A strange look suddenly overtook Luke's face, and his shift of emotion could be felt through the force, a wave and not a ripple this time. Had he heard her thoughts? And had she wanted him to hear them? Perhaps she was over-doing it on the grand confessions today, she mused. Hadn't this all started out simply as a conversation? How had it come to this?

*It was bound to happen sometime* the little voice said again, but this time she wasn't sure if it had been her own voice, or Luke speaking to her through his thoughts.

"I always had a strange feeling that our fate was somehow bound up together in the force," he said reverently. "But I had no idea that we were somehow predestined . . ."

"To be with each other?" she finished. "It's a beautiful thought, isn't it?"

"Do you believe it?" he asked. Mara saw his lips twitch slightly in after-effect.

"I do," she said thoughtfully, "I do now."

Standing so close together, she could feel him move before he actually did. He wants to kiss me again, she thought faintly as she turned her head so he only could kiss her cheek. Lips touched skin and she felt him lingering there; felt a breath dance across her face like the wind brushing against the rock of the cliff. Flesh remained against flesh when he spoke again, low and husky. She shut her eyes and let the sound envelope her.

"Oh, Mara."

[To be continued]

[This message has been edited by Jaded (edited 05-22-2000).]

15. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"A beautiful, flawed man who can still change and grow. One who can teach as he learns, and learns as he teaches." A deeper note of tenderness crept into her voice. "Who with his faults is more perfect than the most faultless of men." And ultimately, she said thought to herself, the only man who could break my heart with just a look, and the only one I would forgive for doing so."

This whole story has been written very well, but this excerpt in particular. Wow!

Not only does this explain Luke so well, but it also allows an insight into Mara that she sees him this way.

I'll say it again. Wow!

16. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...the only man who could break my heart with just a look, and the only one I would forgive for doing so.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Flesh remained against flesh when he spoke again, low and husky. She shut her eyes and let the sound envelope her.

"Oh, Mara."
    Jedi Trace has been reduced to a puddle on the floor. She'll get back with you later...

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 05-22-2000).]

17. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Beautifully written, Jaded. You dragged me in kicking and screaming, but I've been glued to my monitor since. It's too bad the EU authors don't write Mara like this. If they did, I might end up liking her.

18. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Wormie???????? eek.gif

And I had just got off the floor...

But I agree! We read/write so much fan fic because we are a little deprived in the pro fic romance department...so far!

However, an upcoming NJO author's non-SW books have absolutely beautiful love scenes...

19. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Eeep! Been a while since I've dropped by this thread, but I figured I ought to have a quick look around to see what I've missed.

Few things:

"Still regretting that change of heart?" he shot back.

"Oh no," she said, grinning, "most definitely not."

-----

Very nice... very cool, very classy.

2. "I think I know of a better cure than time... I think I'm looking at it right now..."

Reading that line immediately brought to mind something from Starfighters of Adumar. I kept expecting Mara to respond with the words of Iella Wessiri.

"That's one great thing about receiving compliments from you. I know you always mean them. You have no skill at flattery."

I really expected to see something like that next.

3. Finals? I hate finals! I had finals only about a week and a half ago. Evil things! EVIL! Especially since I heard 50% was like the average grade on the physics finals. Yeep.

4. Sorry, Herman, I'll agree, Lando's got the dashing rogue thing down, but pitching Colt 45 is a little strange. The only Colt 45 I have any interest in can be hung from a leather holster from your hip. Sorry.

5. "It's amazing how into this story people are when you realize that it's all conversation."

This is all pretty much dialogue writing, and I happen to like dialogue writing. A LOT. Some people can write scene descriptions, others can really get into characters' heads and bring forth dialogue. I respect both, wish I could do both, but dialogue writing is really where my heart lies, and I happen to think that you're doing a damn fine job of it, Jaded. Keep it up.

Incidentally, you don't NEED to have lightsaber duels or starfighter dogfights to make a story interesting, but just like you can have interesting pieces that are all character development, you can have pieces that are all combat and that keep you on the edge of your seat. A very well written dogfight can really keep your interest high - just as high as some good character interaction and dialogue. It's nice to have variety. REALLY nice.

6. Well, Jaded, it's nice that all our supportive commentary has you choked up, but you'd better pull yourself together. We don't want you developing a severe case of Bloaty Head or anything. (Lord, I've been playing too much Theme Hospital. tongue.gif )

7. "And ultimately, she thought to herself, the only man who could break my heart with one look, and the only one I would forgive for doing so."

Beautiful. That line is absolutely beautiful. Very gripping, and it just does a very good job of showing just how much she cares for him, even if she never admitted it in the past. I'm not going to wax lyrical on one line, but let it be said that that line makes me all tingly. Not that I'm an insensitive bas**** or anything, but I still don't get that tingly very often.

8. &lt;Looks at the Trace puddle on the floor&gt;
    Uh oh... I got a bad feeling about this...

Doctor, attend immediately in the Solidifer Clinic, please!

(There's that evil game Theme Hospital cropping up in my everyday life again...)

9. Yikes... for some reason, my computer is now playing the Inspector Gadget theme song... uh... go, Gadget, go!

20. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Oh come on Trace, give me a break. I'm not all bad. Don't tell Callie this, she'll feel betrayed, but I have a list, a short list, of things Mara could do or say that would change my opinion. I'm waiting with baited breath to start checking things off. I'm waiting........waiting.......still waiting.....

In the meantime, I read a little fanfic to keep the faith.

21. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Awww, Wormie - I didn't mean you were bad! Sorry if I gave you that impression!

Don't worry - I won't tell. Any chance we can find out what is on that list, or does it have to be in the "pro" fic?

Most of us fans have lists ourselves, but if it doesn't happen in GL-land, I guess we'll just....

everybody look at Jaded....

22. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    You know, I just had a thought. It may be too late, but what the heck. Trace, I'll tell you whats on my list. Check lit for it.

23. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    Wormie, thank you. That you considered it and liked it, I take that as the highest compliment.

As for the story, I will be adding again soon, but it will probably be the last or the second to last post.

Thank you everyone for their support so far. This was so much more than I had and could ever expect.

=jaded=

24. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Page 3? tsk, tsk To the top, oh beautiful thread!

25. Jaded

Jaded Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    It's done. Thanks for everything, everyone! It's been great! Hope you like how it ends.

=jaded=

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2471/graphics/different.jpg

"A Different View"
    by Jaded

"Oh, Mara."

She blinked, her eyelids heavy, her lashes wet. Time seemed not to have passed. The sun had not yet set, but remained wavering on the edge of the horizon like a hallucination. The clouds on the jungle moon of Yavin had turned a silver-gray and clung to the sky like lovers desperate to part. But Mara could still see far--miles and miles beyond the treetops to long-forgotten temples. It was a view that seemed to stretch towards infinity. Looking out, Mara felt a cool, almost drugged sensation that made her think that peace must lay out there, and all she had to do was reach out.

Luke brushed his lips against her face again and she drew in a sharp intake of breath at the pleasure. Her eyes flickered to the sky again. To where peace lies, she thought. Then her eyes fell on Luke, softened and then opened wide and honest. And to where love lies, she smiled as she wound her arms, which had curled around his neck, tighter.

"Oh, Luke," she finally sighed. "I don't want to leave this moment."

"Then stay," he asked, his voice impassioned; heart-broken because he knew her answer.

Mara gently guided him away, her lips swollen with unused kisses. "We've been over this," she attempted, humor cracking through her voice. "I can't. Anyway," she grinned, "if we--if we continue on this path, you have to remember, there are other force-sensitive people on this rock. I don't think we could hide the disturbance in the force."

"Are you going to leave me?" he asked quietly, still serious.

She pursed her lips and then touched index and middle finger over his heart. "I've always been with you, Skywalker. When you earn my trust and gain my loyalty, I'm there for the long run. So the answer is no, I'm not going to leave you. Unless you want me to."

He reached out for her and this time she took his hand and held it tight. "Then don't ever leave me, Mara."

"I'm glad that's your answer," she said warmly. "I was hoping as much. However," she said, looking at the encroaching darkness, "I'm actually going to have to leave you now, unless you're willing to follow me."

"To the ends of the galaxy."

"Ah, yes," she whispered almost to herself, "to the end." Then her voice grew louder. "Actually, I suggest we head back to the Great Temple. As beautiful as the view is up here, it's getting dark and there are some nasties in these jungles at night that we should avoid."

She let go of his hand and ran ahead. Jogging in place, she waited for him to catch up. "I'll race you to back," she called playfully. He stretched a little bit before he nodded back to her.

Running backwards, she stumbled over a rock. She recovered with a dancer's grace, making it look as though she had simply been taking a bow.

"Catch you if you fall!" he yelled.

Mara paused and smiled full with her eyes. "You already have, Luke," she said simply, "you already have." She turned her body, letting her eyes stray on him before turning her head away too. "C'mon Skywalker," she said, throwing a look back, "can you take me on?" Then she shot off ahead, sprinting.

The day was turning to the blue of night as he took off after Mara. Hurdling through brush and rock, Luke remained calm, and this allowed a menagerie of thoughts to trot through his mind. Mara Jade. Her name alone set off fireworks inside him that he hadn't know existed, but how glad he was to know it now.

He thought about how he had let Callista, how he had let everything else, overshadow her. But there she was still, after all these years, emerging out of the eclipse, a constant. And she would wait for him, he thought with a happiness that was hard to hold. He would have to return the favor and make it a short wait.

To anyone watching, Luke and Mara would have been blurs of motion crashing through green, but to each oth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.