main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Different View

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jaded, Apr 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Well, Saeed, I've found that meshes are typically available in 4 formats online: .3DS, .MAX, .LWO (lightwave), and .DXF (AutoCAD). The reason? These are fairly common formats, they're public, and it's relatively easy to write import-export plugins for them. Also, they have been, for the last 15 (in the case of AutoCAD) to 3 (Lightwave) years, the most used programs in the industry. It's the same sort of reason everyone trades files in MS Word format even though not everyone uses Word. Those that don't have said program can generally still use the files or they can download a converter that will let them do it.

Anyway, I hope that answers the question!
    -Lokmer

2. Hellbore

Hellbore Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2000
    Well I said money wasn't a problem, but I think $3000 is a tad on the expensive side :) Unless you'd like to send me a copy/produce the effects for my film.
    It also looks like MediaStudio may be the better choice to Premiere, but I can't seem to find anywhere selling it in the UK and the Pinnacle DV500 capture card (the card I intend to buy) comes bundled with Premiere. Maybe I'll try and get them both. Variety can't be a bad thing.

3. SPphoenix

SPphoenix Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2000
    Saeed : I think that the differnce between .3DS and .MAX files is this :
    the .3DS is for the objects-meshes only while the .MAX file is for the whole "scene" (objects,animation,camera...etc data)

4. Saeed

Saeed Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SPphoenix:
    Saeed : I think that the differnce between .3DS and .MAX files is this :
    the .3DS is for the objects-meshes only while the .MAX file is for the whole "scene" (objects,animation,camera...etc data)

Thanks, SPphoenix. Lokmer is full of useful info, but I think he misunderstood my question. Your answer seems to make sense. It's a moot point anyway, as I will never be able to afford that package.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. "Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has forseen..."

Hellbore, I've been thinking along similar lines as yourself, and it seems to me that the main difference between Premiere/Photoshop vs Media Studio is that Media Studio has it's own paint/effects module built in. If you opt for Premiere, you will then have buy Photoshop and/or AfterEffects to do the SFX...

BTW where in the UK are you?

Saeed TTC
    AKA The Jedi With No Name

5. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Hellbore-

Well, as far as quality, it really depends on the person doing the FX/CGI more than it does on the software being used. With some things, of course, there will be some packages that have a better plugins and FX for certain things (notably character animation), but when it comes to modelling, explosions, and space animations most programs are capable of the same things, it's just a matter of learning the tricks of the interface.
    -Lokmer

6. Darth Maniacos

Darth Maniacos Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2000
    Yeah men,you speak out of my soul!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.