main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Diplomat's Job is Never Done - Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: A Diplomat?s Job is Never Done
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Summary: I have no idea
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan
    Notes: Written for the Qui-Gon Picture Challenge

A Diplomat?s Job is Never Done

?Diplomacy is often far more complicated than it appears on the surface, Padawan,? Qui-Gon instructed softly.

?It doesn?t look very complicated from here,? Obi-Wan replied with a smirk.

The Master gave an impatient sigh as he sat down. ?When we are assigned to conduct a diplomatic mission, we must first gain the trust of those we seek to help.?

?But we?re Jedi,? Obi-Wan said, as if this fact alone should solve the problem of trust.

?Not everyone trusts the Jedi,? Qui-Gon replied. ?You should know that by now, Obi-Wan,? he added in a gently chiding tone.

The boy accepted the rebuke with a nod of his head and flushed cheeks. Then he sat back and crossed his arms over his chest with all the infuriating arrogance of youth. ?It?s still unworthy of a Jedi,? he said in an offended tone.

So much for this being easy, Qui-Gon thought to himself. ?Does this break the Code in any way?? the Master asked the Padawan.

A frown marred the young man?s pale features as he sought some evidence that the deed would, in fact, violate the Code that dictated their lives. His Padawan was a stickler for the rules, Qui-Gon mused with an internal smile. The Master could practically see the data being examined and set aside at a lightning pace. Finally, he could see Obi-Wan was at a loss.

?No?? the young man answered uncertainly. ?It doesn?t violate them specifically, but?? Obi-Wan shot him a look of confusion and then his lips mutinously tightened. ?But I still say it?s not worthy of a Jedi.? Then he gave an emphatic nod of his head with that pronouncement.

?Ah, so you are so wise that you feel you can correctly interpret a Code that has existed for thousands of years?? Qui-Gon queried with a quirk of his brow. ?Interpret it better than your Master??

Another blush appeared on his cheeks, but Obi-Wan did not appear ready to back down from his opinion. ?I didn?t say that, Master,? he replied carefully. ?I just don?t think that this is something a Jedi should be doing.? He pointed at his Master with an authoritative finger that reminded Qui-Gon sharply of his days in the crèche. ?Not even for a mission,? the boy added sternly.

Qui-Gon repressed the exasperated sigh that rose to his lips. Ever since the disaster of Melida/Daan, his apprentice had become almost rigid in his adherence to the Jedi Code. While the Jedi within him approved of the boy?s devotion to the tenets of the Order, Qui-Gon the man knew that on that road waited heartbreak for the boy. Eventually, the Code would let him down and leave him floundering for answers that were not to be found in the precepts that were written to guide them.

Guide them?

That is where Obi-Wan?s lack of experience let him down, Qui-Gon mused. The rules were a guide for the Jedi, not a rulebook. There was much room, much need, for interpretation. He did not yet have enough knowledge of the complexities of the galaxy and the beings that inhabited it to know that a good Jedi must learn to interpret the Code beyond the rigid wording, to let his judgment become fluid with the situation. Only time and the understanding that came from working and living among the beings they served would soften those edges.

Qui-Gon had often felt that the insulated life led by most younglings in the Jedi Temple provided little in the way of real preparation for what life was like beyond those hallowed walls. He feared that too many knights and masters shared that insular view and one day, the Jedi Order might find that they would pay the price for shutting themselves off from the galaxy.

He put those troubling ruminations away for the time being, and tried to devise a way to help his Padawan learn the lesson he was trying to teach today. ?Exactly what do you object to, Padawan?? he asked at last.

Obi-Wan gave him a look that clearly said it should be glari

2. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Oh wow, what a lovely mental image you've just given me.

What a great little story, I just loved the conversation between Qui and Obi. =D= =D=

3. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Great! I love Qui-Gon's point of view :D

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohh loved the build up there and to find out it was juz for Qui to pose for some artists! [face_laugh] Well done!! [face_love] Excellent job!

Poor Obi.. the Code is for guiding ;) I so agree with Qui there. Not something to follow blindly.

5. Mind_Tricked

Mind_Tricked Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I've read it lurking the Qui Challenge thread and loved it!

I had lost of fun reading that piece again. =D=

6. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    [face_laugh] :D =P~ [face_love] :*

This was just as great the second time around! :D

7. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Loved reading this again!

Great story - :D

8. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    LOL! Ok! I'm going to have to agree with Obi-Wan on this one! [face_laugh]

Great job, MamaVader!

I really enjoyed the lesson, btw. You could have put just about anything at the end there and it would have been wonderful. The cheeky laugh just made it that much more fun.

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ah, you write Qui-Gon with such poise and grace in the most naked situation.:) He's got nothing to be embarrassed about showing, too.

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    seemed serenely unaware of his audience as he slipped the robe easily from his shoulders

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Where can I sign up for this class?

I loved how Qui-Gon tried to get Obi-Wan to learn the necessity of bending the rules once in awhile. It was a beautifuly written conversation.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    :eek: ... =P~ =P~ =P~

This is a girl's dream come true. =P~ =P~

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    ROTFLOL!! Oh dear Force that was brilliant! *giggles and snorts some more*

13. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    :eek: [face_laugh] Oh, that was great! Love the build-up with Qui and Obi arguing over whether this is proper or not, and it ends up that Qui is modeling for a class...so unexpected! Poor Obi, not dignified indeed, lol. :D

Wonderful job!

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    LilyHobbitJedi I admit, I enjoyed picturing that scene myself! [face_blush]

MASTER_KAYM The things he's willing to do! [face_laugh]

Kynstar Qui-Gon understood that quite well I think!

Mind_Tricked Thanks for reading! :D

Bastet Glad you liked it, both times! ;)

Kestrel_Kenobi Thank you! :)

Souderwan That picture just screamed for a naughty theme! [face_batting]

ardavenport Exactly! In fact, he wears entirely too many clothes most of the time! =P~

KELIA Leona closed the class! :_| She's the ONLY student now. ;)

LilQui-Gon Amen! [face_whistling]

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Naked Jedi are always inspiring! [face_batting]

Jedi_Tigris Qui-Gon is always dignified, even when he's only wearing what he came into the galaxy with! :p

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Beautiful...it led right to where one never saw it going - what a delightful story that doesn't telegraph its ending.

I love how Qui-Gon thought of the code, and how Obi-Wan didn't have enough life experience to look on as guidance rather than rigid rules.

16. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Nice.

I really like your writing.

Keep it up.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    =P~ =P~ [face_love]

LOVELY job, and what a great mental image! :D

And I couldn't help but picture Pirates of the Caribbean when Qui-Gon was musing about how the code is supposed to guide them.

"They're more like guidelines than actual rules..." ;)

Great job! :D

18. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Great to see this again - I loved it first time round! :D=D=

19. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.