main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Discussion of Professional Guitarists and Their Work: A Spinoff Thread!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Short Round McFly, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    Alright, this thread has been inspired by the one about the Directors and here we shall discuss our favorite Guitarists and their works, our favorite solos and "Most Underrated."

Here is my list, in no particular order:

Slash - Guitarist of Guns N Roses and Slash's Snakepit and my most favorite guitarist. A "Blues Metal/Rock" guitarist who's sometimes countrified leads are often melodic as opposed to most metal guitarists who are rythm driven.
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Sweet Child O'Mine
    Most Underrated Solo: Breakdown

Jeff Beck - The greatest of the most underrated guitarists, Jeff Beck was the second guitarist for the Yardbirds before forming a temporary group with Keith Moon, Jimmy Page, Ron Wood and John Paul Jones and Rod Stewart. Most known for his continuously changing guitar sound, his crazy sound effects(Most of which don't include crazy pedals!) and mixing of Jazz, Blues, Hardrock, etc.
    Favorite Guitar Solo: 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers
    Most Underrated Solo: Big Block

Jimmy Page - Uh... He's the guitarist of Led Zeppelin! What more to say?
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Tangerine
    Most Underrated Solo: Thank You(Live from the BBC Sessions)

David Gilmour - The guitarist of Pink Floyd, known mostly for his very melodic and "Psychadelic" guitar solos and his very common, melodic guitar riffs. Also the secondary lead singer and then leader of later day Pink Floyd.
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Mother
    Most Underrated Solo: Mother!

Jimi Hendrix - Well he IS Jimi Hendrix! Responsible for the great, melodic ballad Little Wing and the very hard rocking Voodoo Child(Slight Return). Is mostly known for blending blues and hard rock while rocking harder than most at the time.
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Little Wing
    Most Underrated Solo: None!

Stevie Ray Vaughan - The greatest blues guitarist ever! He was able to top his legends! Known for playing the guitar behind his back, never playing the same song twice, and using verrrry heavy strings. Also known for copying many Hendrix antics on stage.
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Tightrope
    Most Underrated Solo: Leave My Girl Alone(Austin City Limits)

Michael Schenker - Guitarist from Germany, originally in Scorpions and then in UFO which, in my opinion, was his greatest band. Known for his very melodic yet very powerful rythm playing. Very similar in style to Eddie Van Halen, Glenn Tipton and Randy Rhoads. Only difference - He's better!
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Doctor Doctor
    Most Underrated Solo: All of them!

Jerry Cantrell - Guitarist of Alice in Chains. Known mostly for his*Sigh*... ENDLESS ABILITY TO COME UP WITH ROCKIN' RIFFS! He also has these really rockin' guitar solos with such a signature style, he's just amazing! His recent album is Degradation Trip. Oh yeah, and he ROCKS!
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Sunshine
    Most Underrated Solo: Dam That River

Mike McCready - Guitarist of Pearl Jam. Inspired big time by Hendrix, Zeppelin and Ace Frehley.
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Animal
    Most Underrated Solo: Garden

Randy Rhoads - Not much to say that hasn't already been said but... This guy is responsible for Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley!
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Second Mr. Crowley guitar solo
    Most Underrated Solo: None that I could think of!

That's just a few, the rest will be up later.

2. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Since you don't have Pete Townshend up there I'm very upset.
    Anyway, David Gilmour is the best. Anyway else notice Slash's style is very similar to his?

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

3. Short Round McFly

Nov 13, 1999
    Slash's style is similar to almost every metal and bluesy guitarist of the 70's, most notably Jeff Beck, Page, Gilmour, Schenker, Keith Richards/Mick Taylor and Hendrix.

4. Ikhnaton

Ikhnaton Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Steve Hackett - solo in Firth of Fifth

5. Wardo_Fett

Wardo_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    Anything John Petrucci does is wonderful.

6. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    Mike Oldfield greatly impresses me with all his work. He's more like an arranger/composer rather than a soloist. Plus, his music is so diverse at times that it's amazing he can cover so many different styles. Ommadawn is my favorite by him, followed by Hergest Ridge (that section of 90 multi-tracked guitars is a highlight).

7. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Jeff Buckley

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The Edge. Simply masterful with his minimalist style that comprises the heart of U2.

9. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I dont think it's very good idea to measure guitarists based only their solos. That gives rather limited picture of guitarists true talent. But if you want to know about solos then why not; Here's my favourite (solos or no solos)

Steve Howe - Guitarist of Yes, Asia, GTR, not to mention great solo career. Best guitarist ever IMHO, He has everything good guitarist needs. One sign when you know that guitarist is really good is when major guitar manufacturer like Gibson makes guitar that bears his name.
    Favorite Guitar Solo: Starship Trooper - This one is classic ending for one the greatest prog songs of history. You know for long time before the solo that it's coming but yet when it finally starts it surprises you.
    Most Underrated Solo: Open Your Eyes - Probably Asia's finest song. Again incredible ending for great song. Mixed too background but it's brilliant.

I could mention Steve Hackett as well but he was already mentioned. Mike Oldfield has too some wonderful moments. Especially his appearance on Finnish bass virtuosis Pekka Pohjola's album Keesojen Lehto (released as Mathematician's Air Display abroad) is fine display of his talent.

10. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    My vote for underratted/unknown is Gentry Densley of The Iceburn Collective from Salt Lake City, Utah. His synthesis of of free jazz, classical music, progressive-rock and avantgarde in concert with his technical prowess is simply amazing. He is a sorcerer, creating new forms of music that simply haven't been heard before. Totally original.

11. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I'm a guitarist. Played for 14 years. My style is thrash metal, but I love to play 'dem blues...

My favorite shredder is Mr. Stevie Vai.
    This guy still blows my mind. I'll never be this good!
    Favorite solo: Well, not really a solo, but "Solo Album" Passion and Warfare.

My 2nd fave is Dimebag Darrell
    Pantera is my favorite band, and Dime is one of the main reasons. No one riffs this hard.
    Favorite solo: "Planet Caravan" on FBD.

Last and most definitely not least is Jimi.
    He's Jimi, thats why I picked him.
    Favorite solo: Too many to list.

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Yea, I will agree with the Keith Richards and Steve Vai and Stevie Ray Vaughn and of couse Beck and Page and Hendrix.

My favs are:

Jorma Kaukonen: Finally has a new CD out. His terrific solos are all too numerous to mention and he just improves with age. Got him to sign my Hot Tuna albums at the Western Maryland Blues Fest.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - I've seen him twice in concert, incredible!

Bonnie Raitt - Fabulous!

Ellen McIllwaine - Don't get to hear enough of her.

Also liked a guy named Micheal Hedges, but sadly he has passed away.

13. Ghent99

Ghent99 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    My favorite gutiarists are the given Page and Hendrix, along with Petrucci, Vai, and Joe Satriani.

Seeing Joe Satch and Dream Theater in concert in three weeks, so I am hoping it will be agreat show, which it most likely will.

While many guitarists don't like Vai's style very much, songs like Tender Surrender show himw to be just an awesome guitarist and songwriter.

14. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Favorite guitarists?

David Clevland, Jerry McPhereson, Dann Huff in no particular order.

Oh, and even though I hate country music, no list is complete without Chet Atkins.

15. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I loved how you described Cantrell, McFly. In my opinion, the man's style is very innovative for his time. He took sounds from bands such as Metallica, Megadeth (although I can't say if they're his inspiration or not) and formed his own brew of metal. Then again, I also feel that without some of the lines on stuff from "sap" and "Jar of Flies" that Layne Staley wrote (rip), his music wouldn't have been as dramatic on those albums. But after seeing Cantrell live, I can attest that the man can rip out some awesome solos.

I look at his style when it comes to soloing and I'm blown away. I really can't tell from what guitarists he got ideas from. I can sort of see the entire 80's metal scene, but he was more ahead of that, but also placed somewhat with grunge.... anyone care to add/debate that?

16. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I think Carlos Santana should be added to this group. He is one of my favorites. Honerable mention to Gerry Garcia for doing amazing things with a slide guitar.

17. Lolipon

Lolipon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 28, 1999
    YES! McCready gets some praise! I [face_love] Mike. :D So many people say if you take Vedder away from Pearl Jam there would be no PJ. But the same goes for McCready (and Gossard and Ament). Each member of the band is equally important.

18. Short Round McFly

Nov 13, 1999
    ...I loved how you described Cantrell, McFly...

Well since we're on the topic of Cantrell at the moment... Has anyone noticed his guitar solos are like standard metal riffs put together like a puzzle? They're not solos that have parts connected by runs and a continuous, evolving phrase but rather different phrases after another that are so common but rock!
    Like with the Man in the Box solo for example. It starts off with a trill, then he uses a common pentatonic lick that goes up and down the scale position and then goes on to do a syncopated one note lick, then a Jimmy Page-like pentatonic riff in the first position and then he does a double-stop rythm lick which is kind of a signature trait of Cantrell's which he uses in almost every solo and then he ends it. Such simple stuff but man does it rock! That's like a dictionary page for rockin' guitar riffs and a "How to put them together" course right there! Same thing with the Sunshine solo. By the way, did anyone notice that the first lick in that solo is the first one he does after the trill in Man in the Box? That's like one of the rockinest licks, man!

The riffs from songs like Man in the Box, Sea of Sorrow, I Can't Remember, Angry Chair, Would?, Heaven Beside You, etc. are so common which is why they rock!

I really like when guitarists like Jeff Beck, Gilmour and Cantrell use such simple terms because it shows how much they have a sense of melody and rythm naturally rather than someone who could sit down and write anything confusing which is very easy to do if you're a guitarist. Just grab a scale and connect it confusingly in different places and there ya have it! But to use two notes as a foundation for a theme is amazing! All the greatest guitar riffs are like four or five notes anyway. Look at most of Zeppelin's riffs. Very common, although there's some like Black Dog which are mostly a million notes but most are only a few.

Communication Breakdown, Whole Lotta Love, Lemon Song, Thank You, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid, Moby Dick, Bring it on Home, Immigrant Song, Celebration Day, Out on the Tiles, Tangerine, No Quarter, Kashmir etc.

19. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Add Bruce Cockburn and Colin Linden to that list man. Just saw them last weekend and they can really play!

20. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    John frusciante,jimi hendrix,Blackbird mckight,frank zappa,hillel slovak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.