main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Discussion of the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Raz927, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raz927

Raz927 Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    I've always felt part of Star Wars success in fantasy was that many people could relate to the ideas within it. I believe Lucas got the idea for the force not from fantasy, but from reality. Stories of psychic ability, telekinesis, connections with certain people who seem to read your mind, superhuman strength used in times of crisis, sports heroes going into "zones" and thus seeming to gain better control of their reflexes and emotions-- stories about these things being used existed long before star wars, whether you believed in them or not.

Lets discuss psychic abilities. Many people may disregard "psychic powers" as not existing at all. I believe they do, and feel there is enough evidence in the world to support this. There seems to be many people who can tap into this ability often, and do it consciously. Is it a gift from "god"? Something others cant do? Are these people who are just "strong in the force"? I don't think so. There are many stories out there about people tapping into psychic abilities without ever having done so before, and not while consciously trying to do it. Stories of mothers having visions of their children getting into car accidents and such, and receiving a phone call that it happened moments later. Many of these people don't have an experience like this again, and can't explain it.

So, in times of crisis or pressure, it seems many people tap into abilities that surprise themselves and others. I've always attributed the famed "Han Solo luck" to be nothing more then someone who was strong in the force but couldn't (or doesn't know how to)consciously tap into it. Star Wars already explains that all things exist in this force, but doesn't really offer an explanation of why some people can't use it consciously.

I have felt let down by many EU books explanations of this force and what it is. It seems many authors have always viewed Lucas' force to be nothing more then a Superman type of fantasy. I didn't like Zahn's ysalimiri (kryptonite) for this reason, and it doesn't seem many authors have tried to tackle the force in a realistic sort of way. Granted, Lucas may have not wanted authors expanding more on his force, and I'm sure we'll learn more about Lucas' vision of what the force is in the next 2 movies. I just wish the EU would quit projecting jedi as mini-gods instead of humans/aliens who have learned or were more adept to access abilities all beings have. I envisioned star wars coming to an end when the jedi come to a greater understanding of the force and how it is consciously tapped into, and thus a greater understanding of reality, and then teaching it to the rest of the galaxy.

Imagine a universe evolved to a higher understanding of life. Imagine, with the problems our world has today, if everyone came to a greater understanding of "god" and reality. It would solve a lot of present problems, no? This is where I envisioned the galaxy far, far, away going. Well, what do you think about the force and the explanations offered for it in the EU and movies so far?

2. MastersLittlePet

MastersLittlePet Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2002
    This was one of the main problems between the brothers Jacen and Anakin in the begining of the NJO. Is the Force a tool to be used or something greater, more reverent?

The EU hasn't delved into what the force is or how to "spread it around". But, Tionne did not have much Force-potential and, yet, she is one of the greatest of Masters, proving that anyone with enough desire can become a Force-user.
    I've often viewed the books as pure enjoyment. Never picking them apart for more than they give. Not that that is a bad thing :) Some people take great delight in reading beyond the lines...

Your comments touch on reality much more than just Star Wars and the EU. The ability of humans here to become more than what we are now. There are plenty of individuals working for that future today.
    If you ask me...where you say the EU is headed is were we are (hopefully) headed as well.

3. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    I think this promises to be a very good discussion. I don't have much time now, but I'll be back to post my $.02.

4. Gotrat_the_Knight

Gotrat_the_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2001
    Well I have this to say about the force. I being a strong beliver in the idea that the force had a good chanse of being real, and the idea that some people can use it if they concintrat long enough.

Now I must say that the idea of the force being real is way less far feched idea of a "god" who continuoslly contridcts himself.

5. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    I'm glad to see people have such strong views on what the force is, and how it should be portrayed in the EU. Jacen is definetley one of the few Jedi who really tries to understand the nature of the force.

For me, the force was something that could never be fully understood, even after Obi-Wan's explaination to Luke in ANH I was still curious that there was something more to it.

One problem is that each author has a different view of what the force is, and how a Jedi should use it. That's okay, but sometimes it confuses us readers. Now with Lucas's midi-chlorians, I've felt like this great powerful mystical force turned out to be super-charged mitochondria.

Maybe the force shouldn't have a big official explaination, if it did then it wouldn't have as much of a powerful effect on us. The force is perhaps the greatest mystery in the star wars galaxy, and maybe it should stay that way, free for all of us to interpret in our own way.

6. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    now just add the midichlorians to it. i always beleived in stuff like the force(i have a very strong and crazy imagination). i never talk much so it gives me time to think.....a lot. i the past few years ive been thinkin about the psycic ability. i think people can get it.IMO, it is a gift from God. its wierd with me. im not sayin i can read minds, but sometimes i feel peoples feelings. like if someone is really pissed, i will get pissed. or if someone is nervous for something, i get nervous. same with most other feelings. its really freaky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.