main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A discussion on the new name for the WR. - Discussion is wrapping up! Get your nominations in NOW!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    While I'm in favor of The Bermuda Triangle...

Seriously, I really am not seeing why it needs to change. *shrugs*

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Writer's Resource is working fine for me, but if there's really a change needed, how about: Stylus and Flimsy - Fan Fiction Resource

I'm worried that anything with 'community' in it might wind up like the JCC board with its countless off-topic threads.

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Emilie- There are many things being currently addressed. However, we don't spend our entire day here (we do have lives....unfortunately :p). This a more fun and creative thing to do rather then the plain hard slog the mods are currently doing behind the scenes.

This discussion has come about because many, many people in the forums asked for a name change to be more inclusive of the fact that a large section of the people that visit these boards are readers only.

I have the same problem, that if we put in the word Community it is going to turn into a mini-YJCC and while the rules are being *relaxed* somewhat - they aren't gone completely. ;)

I think the "keep it simple" is the best way to go. More of a mouthful makes it harder for people to enter.

And remember, this is only a short discussion. When it comes to the poll there will be an option to keep the original so don't stress out about it. Also, if you see a name you like repeat it - I'll use these 'nominations' as a basis for which name goes in the poll (there are only limited options).

Kithera

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Fan Fiction Resource, all the way. Simple, effective. :)

5. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    The Official Readers' and Writers' Fan Fiction Resource and Community Center

Okay, maybe not. :p

6. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Fan Fiction - The Jedi Archives sounds pretty cool but what about R&W Fanfiction Archive?

Edit: I favor dianethx's ideas too.

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    The problem with anything named "The Archive" is that we have an archive on the JC and we really don't want to have any confusion.

Kithera

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Writers and Readers Halfway house. :p ;)

Just kidding, simple is probably best, Writers and Readers Resource makes it clear everyone is wanted. :)

9. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I'd have to go with Fanfic Resource. Going with 'Writers and Readers' while clearly stating it is a doozy of a mouthful, and just stating Resource is enough to get the plain curious to stick their noses in.

10. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    Then why don't we change it to R&W Resource?

11. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I dont think R & W is clear enough. To me Fan Fiction Resource says it all without it being a mouthful.

sg

12. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    There are alot of good ideas I saw here.

Readers/Writers - The Village Within

Someone wrote the above and I like it I think the most right now, but I understand about keeping it simple so I thought of modifying it by just as Readers&Writers Village, or Readers & writers Help Village, or even since its StarWars, maybe Readers&Writers Planet to add the space element. But that could run into the community problem aslo come to think of it. So I think I saw someone mention thetitle "Fan Fiction Resource" I think that would cover both writer and reader very well. and maybe in the FAQs section writing a little thing for readers to let them know that if they need any help for finding stories etc to go to the "Fan Fiction Resource"

Coming from my reader side of my equation, I too agree about the fact that the title needs to draw readers into it also because of all the indexes, those looking for fics who need a place to put "does anyone know where this story is" and some other stuff. If I had not started to want to post stories here, I don't think I would have looked into the writers resources because I would have thought to look in here for stuff to help readers. But if you split the boards to a writers forum and reader forum (not that I think thats neccessary) then I would go with titles that deal with writers only.

13. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Wow! [face_shocked] There are a lot of good names being brought up.

Just remember, if you like a name, even if it has been mentioned, say it again. Let us know which names stand out so they can go in the final poll.

14. Bobbacca

Bobbacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2003
    The more words and jargon you add to the title, the more obtuse and sterile it becomes and the more it repells users.

I think the "keep it simple" is the best way to go. More of a mouthful makes it harder for people to enter.

So I'm guessing "The Official Socialization, Discussion, Improvement and Workshop and Convention Center For Readers And Writers of Fan Fiction Stories" is probably out of the question, right? :p

I think having "community" in the title sounds too much like a socialization and spam board and "Readers and Writers" is too much to have thrown in there together.

I think FanFic Resource Center is best, but I also like (and some of these are slightly modified)
    -The FanFic Connection
    -The Readers/Writers Nexus
    -FanFic Cafe

Or just Resource Center would be great. We don't need fan fic in the title because its already a part of the fan fic grouping of boards, so that would be assumed.

15. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    The only thing I have a feeling would happen is that if we don't have the word readers in the title somehow we're not going to pull them in to the forum as well. But that's just my gut instinct.

16. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Just leave it. It sounds fine now.

17. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    How about: Dataworks

Slightly longer: Fanfic Dataworks

Or maybe they're too suggestive of a database rather than a more general resource and writing/fiction discussion board.

I liked the Fan Fiction Resource / Fanfic Resource ideas too.

There were a lot of very creative and entertaining suggestions. With a board this size, you can go for instantly informative to get visitors, or you can go for something that attracts the curious. I'd tend to think if they're already in Fan Fiction they've already gone for the 'curious' option, so something informative is probably better. That's not to say that I'd personally object to something imaginative or a clever play on words as a board name, though.

18. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    The Readers/Writers Nexus sounds good too.

19. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Jedi Library: Fan Fiction Resource

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I've been thinking about this. Why are we doing this, really?

What difference is removing one word going to make?

It's the purpose of the forum that we have the problem with, and the needs it's not meeting. Not it's title.

Hopefully it will make a difference, but I really don't see what this is supposed to prove.

21. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I think the idea of the name change is to have a name that indicates this board is trying to be inclusive of those in the community who don't think of themselves as writers. Just because they only read doesn't mean they wouldn't find the indexes useful. Nor does it mean that their thoughts on characterization would not be greatly illuminating. But if the title of the resource board does not add the word Readers' in it yet retains the word Writers' it will put them off entering. Anecdotal evidence appears to support that theory. So to keep the title short, the idea is to remove the word Writers' and thus imply a larger part of the fanfic boards' population is welcome to come on in and plop down for a bit.

Certainly FanFic Resource is short and an accurate representation of what I understand the intent of the board to be. 'Course I thought some of the others such as Dianethx's were fun too.

KD

22. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Of what's been mentioned so far, I'm partial to Fanfic Discussion. It's simple and inviting, but I'd probably be happy with almost anything mentioned thus far.

23. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Not to pick nits (because I haven't read the other thread) but is the point of the change mostly to make readers feel more welcome in the Resource forum?

24. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I've got to go with Fanfiction Resource. It's simple, explains the purpose of the board and doesn't make non-authors feel excluded.

For the Community board: The Moan Zone? :p ;)

25. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    Jedi Library: Fan Fiction Resource sounds neat too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.