main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A discussion on the new name for the WR. - Discussion is wrapping up! Get your nominations in NOW!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    The mods are looking over those suggestions--they have the thread.

I think the reason that a name change was suggested anyway is because, like Renata said, some folks feel like it's only for big-shot uber-serious writers to get together and exchange horror stories about agents and trying to get published, when it isn't. Fan fiction is supposed to be fun, and the moderators want to open the forum to more socialization. People looking at the title "Writer's Resource" are not going to think that there is anything here other than writing tips--they might not think it's a place where they can go meet other writers and have casual conversation.

I like "Readers and writers sandbox" and "Fan fiction community" myself. :)

2. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Let me rephrase: o_O Shouldn't we be working on the problems inside the WR together before trying to draw people in?

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I understand the issues raised and the reason that a change is being considered, so please don't think me argumentative when I say that I'm not entirely convinced that a name change is needed. It's not something I'm rabid about either way, but I still think the name is just fine the way it is.

That having been said, I like Fan Fiction Resource the best of the options put forth so far. :)

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I have to say, I agree with my Evil Twin 100%

[:D]

I still find I have a hard time understanding why the name Writer's Resource is such an intimidating one for readers? When I was a newbie here on the boards, I clicked everywhere just to see what was available. Since there were topics on the WR that interested me I continued to go back to the board. I don't think any name change short of "Click Here to Win a Million Dollars" would have drawn me back if I didn't like the topics I saw on the board when I first came here.

5. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I dont think a name change is needed either but if it does need a change I think a name that fits everything like my idea

Our Fanfiction Resource

or

The Fanfiction Resource

-Dan

6. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I?ve already mentioned these, but

Fan Fiction Discussion
    Fan Fiction Resource

are my favorites so far. (Although I do like the current name best - I?m used to thinking of it as the ?WR? ;)).

I also liked:
    Fan Fiction Cantina
    Fan Fiction Center
    Fan Fiction Workshop

and I?m not sure if anyone has mentioned:

Fan Fiction Central.

I think shorter is better (future banner makers will thank us :p)

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I'm going to a party tonight, so you have a little longer :p

Guys - be well aware that this IS an idea that came out of recent discussion. In fact it was mentioned about as frequently as wanting a new BYS mod. If you disagree that's fine, there is an option to keep the name the same in the poll that is going up tomorrow.

Basically, we are doing this (and other things) because a large number of people have mentioned to us that they'd like it to happen. Just the same as other things that have happened recently (the guide, the FAQ, the getting to know you thread, the Constructive criticism thread and others) they've occured because of popular support.

Kithera

Edit: There is only so much we can do to alleviate the current 'problems' in the WR. Most of them stem from personal issues between seperate users and really the only people who can change that are the people involved.

8. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't have any problems with the current title. IMO it's fine.

9. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I like FanFic Community. *shrug*

Nem :)

10. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    There is only so much we can do to alleviate the current 'problems' in the WR. Most of them stem from personal issues between seperate users and really the only people who can change that are the people involved.

Kit' is right, Emmi. The problems here are all personal conflicts of one form or another, and opening another thread to try to solve them in public just makes things worse. It's really not up to the rest of the WRF to get involved in problems between individual users, or even individual users and mods. All that happens is, people end up jumping into something that they don't have the full story on, and someone (or more than one someone) ends up getting hurt.

11. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I don't think it's a good idea to have more social stuff going on in here anyway. Threads with discussion or asking for help will just get buried.

12. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Think about it this way. When you go to a store what is the first thing that happens when you look at books or clothing or any other display? Packaging matters. Many people will decide in seconds what book or store or fan fic interests them, just by the look or the title or the cover picture. It's been proven. That's why we have advertizers and why product placement can be critical. At the mall if a store doesn't look inviting do you go in? The title of a story can be very important in getting a reader to have enough interest to open it up and give the author a chance. The same can be said for the title of a Forum. It's has a larger effect than you might think. And it's also a place to start. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.