main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY A Disturbance in the Fan Force

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jonny5, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonny5

jonny5 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    It is a dark time for the Fan-belion.
    Although the fanbase has been restored
    spurred on by the resurgence of cinematic events
    a recent lack of organized troops had driven
    the Fan Force to their hidden basements
    spread across the Empire state....

My friends we have arrived at a place that I have visited before. We reside now in a shadow reminicent of the first dark times for Star Wars fans. In July of 1983 I was 16. It was a time to put away the toys of my youth and move on to more adult things. That year I only purchased ONE RotJ action figure, Leia Boushh. Jedi had been released and there was not any more to be had. George had made it clear the story was complete, there were other things he wanted to do, he would not be going back to the well. There would be no more Star Wars movies.

With no new SW films on the horizon the public conciousness began to turn away from that galaxy far far away to more earthly entertainments. While 1984 was a summer of great films like Ghostbusters and Buckaroo Banzai some would argue that Sci-fi as a genre was mortally injured by the release of Star Trek 3 and Supergirl. As a parting gift from GL we received the regretable Temple of Doom and SS gave us Gremlins. This was the beginning of the end.

Flash forward to today, Revenge of the Sith was released May of 2005. That is over 4 years ago now.
    But this time is different. We had the Clone Wars film in 2007 and now the animated series, and a promise of a new live action show sometime in 2010.

There is no need to despair, indeed it is a time to rejoice! While it is true that our numbers have decreased as people have passed across that same threshold into adulthood that I did back in '83, it is also true that there are whole new generations of younglings out there longing to learn of that mystical place we so dearly love.

Yes, a few of our ranks have moved on to college or their 1st jobs, or even the great challenge of raising a family, but this too will pass and in time they will return.

The torch that is SW fandom is ours to carry and just as the old ones like me loyally carried it through to the mid 90's as a beacon in the dark times often despite the scorn, our love of the light received, so now must we persevere and know that like before this dark time too shall pass.

We are fans 1st and we are all family for that one fact. Time will change us, but not the love we share even should George himself find a way to toally 'F' it all up, we shall always be united in our love for this universe.

Join me, and together we shall bring and end to this time of conflict and restore order, to the fanbase.

2. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Oh. Kay...

~Doc_Bev

3. jonny5

jonny5 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    A somewhat less enthusiastic response than I would have liked but hey it's nice to hear from you Nicky.

I have to play here now because my office is blocking a lot of new stuff since July and they some how classifed the GE website as a 'gaming website' as opposed to a 'social networking' site or 'forum' which they are also blocking along with 'blogs', 'online storage' and 'webmail', so I've got no yahoo or gmail and no eBay.

Fortunately I can still get to Astromech.net and the RPF or I'd go nuts in the most horrible sense of the word.

4. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Ah, I see.
    That's too bad that you can get to as many sites from work anymore.
    Hopefully you won't lose access to here too. [face_worried]

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.