main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A dodge or a missed shot?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Eighty-Six, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eighty-Six

Eighty-Six Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2004
    Here is my interpretation of the infamous events at the Mos Eisley cantina:

Greedo sits down for his little chit-chat. He aims his blaster at Han. Han readies his own gun. Greedo, upon reaching the end of his little speech, predictably fires. This is the important part: Han DODGES the laser, and then whips out his gun and returns fire before Greedo can get another shot off. His shot hits, Greedo goes down.

The criticism that I've seen usually lies in the fact that Greedo miraculously misses Han from mere feet away. However, I see it as a good dodge and return-fire from Han. If Han had tried to shoot Greedo before then, he would be dead before he could get his shot in. Greedo wasn't counting on having to make more than one shot, and Han took that small window of time and capitalized on it.

I like the Han that is quick enough to pull this off, rather than a dishonorable guy who shoots under the table.

Does this help the scene in your eyes?

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    There's already so many Greedo shoots first threads.

I never cared that Greedo shoots first. I just didn't like the way it was executed on film. Looked kind of funny. I'll watch ANHDVD tomorrow when I buy it. Han looked kind of funny waving his hand on the video clip I downloaded. Hopefully it looks better on the DVD.

3. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    We HAVE a changes thread. You can't just start a new thread every time you have another thought about a particular OT change. Maybe you are worried about your "super special original point of view" (yeah right) being lost in another big thread, but too bad.

Please close this thread.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    We HAVE a changes thread. You can't just start a new thread every time you have another thought about a particular OT change. Maybe you are worried about your "super special original point of view" (yeah right) being lost in another big thread, but too bad.

That was a bit harsh. There are more polite ways to redirect folks to another thread.

Anyway, the reason that the Greedo shooting first scene irks me is because it looks...well, retarded(for lack of a better word). It doesn't really have anything to do with the story and why Greedo misses. The way Han flinches and moves to the side looks inhuman. I doubt anyone would be able to imitate that little stunt. Not to mention that when Han "moves" to the side, the entire frame jumps along with him. Now, I haven't seen the revamped version that's coming out on the DVDs, but from what I heard, things haven't changed much.

5. Eighty-Six

Eighty-Six Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2004
    Sorry, sorry, since this was an old-SE thing I thought it didn't fit in the DVD changes discussion thread. I was just trying to put some kind of fresh spin on the big ordeal. If this should be locked, go ahead. (I think that's a moderator thing, not a normal user thing I can do.)

So part of the dislike is about the effects, not the actual event. I can get that, it does look pretty odd in the SE, although I haven't seen the DVD version yet.

Sorry if I accidently peed in anyone's cornflakes.

6. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Maybe you are worried about your "super special original point of view" (yeah right) being lost in another big thread, but too bad

That reminds me of a funny story about a kettle, a pot and your own posts in the DVD threads...

and the original poster is right - this isn't a DVD-related topic, it applies to the Special Editions too. I hope the mods allow the thread to stay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.