main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Dream Within a Dream (post VotF, Callista, L/M vignette- updated 9/17 with archive version)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LianaMara, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Disclaimer: These aren't my characters, they're LFL's. I'm making no moolah offa this (isn't debt horrid?). After delving into Callista's darker side in "And All I Loved, I Loved Alone," I decided to write a lighter piece. Thus, the Callista invasion begins anew! :p

Rating: G

Summary: Two figures from Callista's past briefly reenter her life , and she ponders the paths that her life has taken.

Timeframe: Two years after Union.

Primary Character: Callista

Secondary Characters: Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker

Keywords: L/M

Notes: Callista's POV. This a companion vig to And All I Loved, I Loved Alone, which means the first one isn't necessary reading, but makes for a good comparison to this one.

EDIT- Well, "Dream" was just accepted to the TFN archives! :D Thus, I am celebrating by posting the final version of the vignette. Enjoy!

~*~**~*~

Take this kiss upon the brow!
    And, in parting from you now,
    Thus much let me avow-
    You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

~Edgar Allan Poe

[b]A Dream Within a Dream[/b]

It?s amazing how much beauty is contained in a single glimmering star. My earliest memory is of staring up into the heavens, awestruck by the never-ending canopy of twinkling diamonds that stretched farther than my eyes could perceive. How could the universe hold so many examples of perfection? A star has no defaults, no flaws to mar its silvery radiance. Its only thought, only goal, is to send its sparkling rays out into the great void, until time or man extinguishes its precious beams. Stars have a passionate, uncontrollable beginning and a frosty, silent end, but no one remembers those events. It?s those middle years, when they shine in the twilight through the dusky skies of distant worlds, which truly matter.

I?ve often thought the same way about love. At first it burns wildly, fiercely, without any regard for those around it. Infantile love, in its early stages of existence, is selfish; your feelings, and the object of your affection, are dwelt upon more than anything else. Flames, leaping higher and higher, consuming thoughts, emotions, ties, and flesh itself. First love rages and roars, absorbed in its own powerful vigor.

But eventually, that ardor must fade. Passion grows weak on lust and physical attraction, and desires stronger food: constancy, fidelity, and devotion. The heat and uncontrollable excitement of immature love subsides, yet something still remains: sincere affection. A small fire, not a conflagration, it burns slowly but faithfully, and neither depression, nor fear, nor loneliness can snuff out its light. Only death.

And when that death arrives, love does not disappear like a supernova, violently, forcefully. The flames cease, the warmth slowly vanishes, but something lingers: the ashes of memories. They are few, and small, but still present in our minds and hearts. The furor of first love, and the mellow tenderness of the heat that saturated your soul for so long will never be forgotten; they are with you every waking moment, every hour of every day of your existence. Those remembrances are more than dreams, for they come in the stillness of sleep and the activity of daily life. They never end.

It took me years to learn this wisdom, years of heartache and pains and genuine sorrows. I?ve found love, only to give it up later to preserve others? happiness. I?ve walked difficult paths, both alone and united with someone else, and cried enough bitter tears to fill the oceans of my homeworld. Those trials have simply molded me, shaped me into the woman I now am. And those troubles have granted me the sagacity to see the purpose behind the stars.

When I first met

2. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Hehe, another wonderful viggie, Liana! :D I only hope that Callista was able to find some happiness instead of the miserable life she had in your last vig.

I wonder if people are going to react differently to this one because of their negative feelings toward Callista. ;) I guess we'll see. :p

Jae Angel

3. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    NJ- Thanks! :D Yeah, I hope her little baby girl made her happy.

I'll be curious, too. I'm a L/M fan who doesn't detest Callie, but I think that makes me an exception. I'll be interested to hear people's feedback. :) ;) There's so much hate for the poor gal out here, that I wanted her life to have a little sunshine.

4. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Actually, I enjoyed that. I never hated Callista. Just never thought she was the one for him. It was nice to see her happy.

5. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Beautiful, LianaMara.

6. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    replying on vacation....

Very nice. Glad you gave Callista a husband and daughter instead of the clique of having her have Luke's child which is all too common.

7. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Bumps this so it can be seen! :D

Jae Angel

8. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Aw, feedback! :p

MariahJade2: Thanks! :D Yeah, just because Luke & Callie would have never worked out doesn't mean that she couldn't be happy too.

Dancing_Jansons: Thank you. :)

Jedi_Liz: Thanks. And besides, Callista having Luke's kid is so wacko AU-ish. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

NJ: You're so sweet! *hugs* ;)

9. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    You really very beautifully described falling in and out of love. Or rather, the realization of what Callista truly felt. Very peaceful ending, with both Callista and Luke not regretting the past, but having moved on are content and happy. Callista's thoughts, also, show a wisdom - as does Luke in his actions. Mara's wariness is understandable - and very typical of her.

Wonderful characterization, wonderful writing, wonderful author = wonderful story. ;) :D

10. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    If I could I would give you a [face applause]

It was great.

:)

OWLC

11. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    *whiny voice* Why'd you have to make her so nice?!

j/k ;) It's just that Callie is the girl we love to hate. You did a great job making her aceptable. And all kidding aside, that's how I think it would have gone. She would have moved on with her life just like Luke did.

12. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Oba: Thanks so much! :D I was worried a little about Luke and Mara's characterizations, as usual, but I'm amazed they came out so well again! And praise from the Mistress of Vignettes is wonderful indeed. *huggies* ;)

OWLC: Thanks! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. :)

joy_noel: Thank you. :) You're right, everyone moves on. It may not be right away, but it happens eventually. Everyone's heart will go on (argh! Céline Dion! :p ) And Callie is so easy to hate, isn't she? That's why I think she's so intriguing. [face_devil]

13. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Awesome job on this, Liana! I think that it's great how Callista finally found peace...

*LtJS*

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    This is really beautiful. It's nice to see Callista happy (so long as it's not with Luke ;) ), and Luke and Mara's small parts were handled very well. You have such a lovely writing style, Liana. Very poetic and easy to read. Thanks for posting this! :)

15. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Lt_Jaina: Thank you! :) I really wanted to make something where she found satisfaction at last.

Gabri_Jade: Wow, thank you so much! [face_blush] Callie was cool (but taking Luke away from his soulmate wasn't ;) ), and it was fun making this. Thank you for reading this! :D

16. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Page 3? I think not. :p

17. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Liked this version of Callista's life much better than the last one. While I can't honestly say that I like Callista, I would rather see her happy now (with someone other than Luke) than destitute on the streets. Interesting how all those traits of her husband could just as easily describe Luke.

18. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Jedi-2B: I agree. People may hate Callie, but she doesn't deserve a homeless life, à la "And All I Loved, I Loved Alone." I just wanted to try to get two different perspectives on her future here. :)

Really? You noticed that? I hadn't thought of that while I was writing. [face_blush] But then again, Mara and Callista share some traits too (courage, pluckiness, etc.), just like Luke and Callie's husband share other characteristics. Hmmm...you've got me really thinking about that idea now. :D

19. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    OK, I've been pondering the Luke/Keyvan and Mara/Callista similarities a little more...

Mara and Callista are also alike in the way that they're closed off emotionally. Mara is just that kind of person who keeps all her emotions in check, and unless you know you really well, like Luke and the Skywalker-Solos, you might not know exactly what's she feeling on the inside.

Callista, also, is hard to sense emotionally, because she's not present in the Force (like the Vong). You can't sense her presence, which makes it really hard to figure out what she's really feeling inside.

Just some thoughts. :)

20. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Up for the last time. :)

21. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003

Good..... But she was like-able. :( :mad: :(

She's not supposed to be like-able.

It's just not compatible. :(

Well done, :D I LOVE MARA [face_devil]!!!!!

MAN is she cool! :D

Good for Luke. *pats him on the head*

Move on, forget about Killie. Concentrate on the lovely Mara, :D then go die so Mara can get depressed, fall to the dark side, wipe out the Vong, and take over the galaxy. :D

22. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Agent_Jaid- Thanks! :D I've glad you liked it, even though it had happy Callie. :p And yay! Mara was good! She's gotta be one of the coolest heroines in all of SW land. Hopefully, one day I will be able to crank out an only Mara piece that will make you even happier. [face_mischief]

23. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    **huggles Liana**

Mara is indeed quite cool. ;)

Awesome viggie, as usual- I expect nothing less than brilliant :p Nice to see Callie settle down- awayyyy from our Lukie :p

24. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    SoL- Thanks so much, dearie! :D

Awesome viggie, as usual- I expect nothing less than brilliant

Wow! :eek: You're too kind. [face_blush] And I'm glad Callie got her own man, and that man wasn't my dear Luke. ;)

25. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    Hi, LianaMara. I normally don't read L/M stuff, but I saw the tags and was intrigued, so I read. I loved it. Not only is it well written, it was so great to see Callista had gotten on with her life and isn't still pining after Luke. Very original and very interesting. If you ever expand on this one, I'd love to read it.

~Inyri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.