main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A easy way to make Lightsaber handel?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by saber8, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saber8

saber8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2002
    I would just like a quick and easy Handel build. I need to just throw it together. Anyone quick ideas would be great

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Look "Bach" a few threads, you'll find plenty of pre-existing topics.

3. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I am building my first saber right now. What I used and what most people (websites) recommend, is to go to a Hardware store (Menards, Home Depot ect..) and go to the plumbing section. Then look for drain pipe extentions, or anything that represents a saber hilt. If you want to do a quick one just use some windshield wipers for the grip (used in ANH and ESB on Vaders and Lukes sabers). I hope that helps,

Forcebewitya!

4. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Try the Big Yellow Box. I think it has a few lightsabers that are very simple and cheap to make.

5. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yup,the big yellow box is the way to go. I got some great ideas for my saber there, because you don't have to follow the tutorial directly either. You can mix elements from different tutorials, or take one tutorial, and give it a custom flare. Make it yours, and make yourself proud of it.

6. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    maglites work well for a quick saber.

7. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    what is the big yellow box?

also on a lot of sites people write about batteries....

and about blades clonking out in duels...

what are they making that needs batteries and can clonk out??

i mean, are they lighting tubes of colored plastic or what??

as far as i have known all sabers by fans were just hilts, or hilts with poles in them...

8. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    UCLAJediMaster: No, they are most likely talking about blades made out of some kind of EL, or electroluminescent material, like Parks or Lightech blades. Parks blades are becoming notorious for "conking" (not clonking) out during rigorous dueling because the flat EL material gets damaged when the blade gets bent too much. EL wire, like in the Lightech blades is a bit more durable and forgiving.

I now make my own EL blades using the wire because it's easier to work with and more readily available.

All sabers made by fans are not just static hilts (please don't call them "handles", people) or ones that only have "poles" in them. I have built myself an EL bladed hardware saber and many Fan Force people from Southern California have seen my saber and homemade blades and seem to be impressed by them. And some of these are people that already own Parks or Lightech sabers and blades. So I feel it's quite a compliment.

You should go visit other prop boards besides TFN, after you look for and read through the lightsaber threads here in this forum, and read through various threads on lightsaber building. I would suggest Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy and Dewback Wing's A Site About Props, for starters.

And you call yourself a Jedi Master? How do you warrant that obviously self-appointed title? ?[face_plain] You are obviously a Padawan in regards to lightsabers.

There is a lot of good information out there, go and find it if you want to know about lightsabers.

And try this link, since you asked:Lightsabers from the Big Yellow Box

9. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    at the risk of again... showing my lack of master status:

what is an EL lightsaber?

and do you have a website about yours?

i looked at the big yellow box and while those are cool, they seem like they wont take to long to build...

most likely i will try to build one this week, and maybe a few more before i go on to different types...

10. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "(please don't call them "handles", people) "

Yes that is quite annoying.

Forcebewitya!

11. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    I don't feel like explaining it. Go look at Lightech Industries and Parks Sabers to see what professionally made EL bladed sabers look like.

Copy and paste this link to my photo album into your browser to see my home-made EL blades:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jediloreen/lst?.dir=/Star+Wars/Lightsabers/EL+Blades&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ I think it's too long to make a link, since it didn't work when I tried to make a clickable link from it.

If you want to know just about EL wire itself, go here:EL wire and read the FAQs on all the websites, except mine, of course, because they're aren't any. :p

This should educate you a bit more on Electroluminescence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.