main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Familiar Face Returning for Indy IV? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just saw this article posted at harrisonfordweb. Not sure how true it is, but it sure got me excited:

SPOILER WARNING
    http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Oscars2008/popup?id=4273326&contentIndex=1&page=8

Indiana Jones Then and Now

John Rhys-Davies' name may not be as familiar as those of the other actors from "Indiana Jones," but his face is unforgettable. Even when he was covered in heavy makeup as the horny dwarf Gimli in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, Rhys-Davies made his presence known. He appeared in the first and third installment of "Indiana Jones" and will appear in the new film this year.

2. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Hope it's true. I love Sallah. No sign of it on his IMDB page though.

D_M_S_L

3. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I'd never think to describe Gimli as "horny." Seriously. What?

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, he did have the hots for Galadriel...

This is excellent news. Now we can get more great one-liners from Sallah.
    "Asps, very dangerous. You go first."
    "You are named after the dog?"

5. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Gimli: "Seriously, dudes. What's with the Fellowship of the Sausages, man? Whaddaya guys say we ditch this One Ring bull crap and get us some Poon-Tang?!!"

Great news. Here's hoping there's substance to that rumor.

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well on Good Morning America they mention top secret cameos. So who knows?

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Including Sean Connery? *fingers crossed*

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Huh. Interesting news. Now I'm starting to believe that these rumors are true.

And if Sean Connery showed up, that would just be icing on the cake!

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    *sigh* I really hope this isn't true. Same goes for the Connery stuff doing the rounds.

One of the things I really hoped Indy IV wouldn't do was stuff itself full of cameos from pre-existing characters. I don't like that Karen Allen is in it, but Rhys-Davies and / or Connery? Please no. Sure I've no doubt Lucas & Co. can find a way to include them that can be 'seen' to be worthwhile, but in the grand scheme of things they are not necessary.

After such a long gap, we should be seeing new characters plus Indy... not risk turning the film - at times - into a reunion special.

10. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I for one love that Marion is in the film; she's one of my all-time favorite characters, and I've missed her for 25+ years! She has more spark and fire in her right fist than Willie or the Nazi-chick from LC have in their entire bodies!

Sallah I could take or leave; he's amusing, and it's cool backstory that Indy has longtime friends, but I agree this doesn't need to be a cameo-laden reunion special.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    To me, the fact that Marion has spark (and she certainly does) isn't enough to give her a 'free pass' into this new film.

I would've far preferred a new character.

I really like the separation of the individual Indy films. There's clear air between them. KOTCS is rather concerned with 'harking back', and not just with the characters if some of the spoilers are to be believed. I think it's that whole ethos that bothers me. It's as if they weren't brave enough, or permitted, to make it completely standalone.

12. flashbang

flashbang Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2008
    I hate cameos. It cheapens the film, especially in sequels. Any character should be treated as a real character in the movie, not to bring out some nostalgic cheers.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    There's no complete separation in the PREVIOUS Indy films, Sallah and Marcus both appeared in Raiders and Last Crusade.

14. I_Heart_Han_Solo

I_Heart_Han_Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    Bring on the kilt-man!!

I for one would LOVE it if the coolest thing to come out of Scotland since shortbread, returned for KOTCS.

The older he gets, the sexier he gets, and for some strange reason, the more pronounced his accent becomes! Sean Connery just kicks a--!

"Heart"

15. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Connery confirmed months ago that he wouldn't be coming out of retirement to be in the film. The movie is in post-production and there has been not the slightest rumor of his involvement. I for one don't think the film needs him, and am actually glad he's not involved, as any cameo by him would be the worst kind of pandering to audience expectations.

16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I share your concerns, but I think I've managed to accept Marion being in the film. They just better have a damn good reason for her to be there beyond "harking back." Same with any other cameo, be it a character or plot device.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    'Separation' is a different thing this time around. The original three films were, comparatively, quickfire. You can have a returning cast with only a few barren years in between. Leave it 20 years however, and have the film acknowledge that in it's plot, and suddenly sticking a bunch of established peripheral characters back in is a whole different thing. This film, for me, has a responsibility to not seem to be harking back. There's no way Last Crusade could 'hark back' to Temple of Doom, because much less had passed between the two.

Thing is, we had a new leading lady in each of the original three films, and we don't even have that this time. If Sallah or Henry Jones appeared, that would tip the balance too far.

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    But where do you draw the line? In the case of Sallah, he is established as one of Indy's good friends and it made sense for them to hook up in both Raiders and Last Crusade. Assuming that their friendship is still intact, would it really be that far-fetched to see the character return in Crystal Skull? I could see where the issue arises with bringing back Henry, but Sallah, to me, is in the same league as Artoo and Threepio in SW. He is one of those characters you expect to see. I don't really understand how that could be 'harking back.' I hope I got across the point I was trying to make. :p

19. jedihyrumsfather

jedihyrumsfather Jedi Master star 1

Aug 8, 2001
    I'm actually glad that Allen is back, but, i'm not sure Sallah should be in it. Unless of course they go to the middle east and there is some reason for him to make an appearance. So far, I don't see any reason for him to be. I really hope they keep any cameos to a minimum. I want the movie to stand on it's own, and not try to induce too much nostalgia for nostalgias sake.

20. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I don't think Sallah really has a place in this film, as much as I'd like to hear Davies sing some more of the H.M.S. Pinafore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.