main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A famous person at your FF? What would happen?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Skiara , Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Some minutes ago I started to think about the question what would happen if someone of us (regular posters) would become famous. What would change and so on.
    And then I got the question what would happen if a really famous person like Natalie Portman or Hayden Christensen or so would join the boards and your local FF? Of course in the case if they have enough time to post and going to meetings and so on. :p

Would you try to do one meeting after another? Would you be in another way? More friendly? Would you speak about his/her acting or whatever his/her part was in the SW universe? What do you think would change? Or wouldn't change anything?
    Do you think that a lot of new people would join your FF just because of your famous member? And finally would you like to have a famous person in your FF?

I know that we have some famous person on board, but as far as I know they are not an active member of a FF and don't post that much.

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Great question, Sabine.

It's really not something that I've thought about, I guess. What would I do? Well, I'd probably completely freak out, and have a nerd attack. Then I'd make sure that we try to treat the celebrity like a normal person, and not like some sort of wonderous object, as they have obviously come to FF to meet 'normal' people. If they just wanted to be part of Star Wars fans, they could join any group in the world, not least just hang around fellow cast members, or the convention circuit. So they've obviously come to FF for a reason. That, and they probably would hate to be treated that way normally.

Anyway, that'd be pretty tricky - I think a few people would just have geek-attacks and go nuts. Also, I'd try not to advertise it too much, otherwise you'd get odd people from all circles coming in to "see the celebrity".

3. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    ^^^ Agreed!

I think I would be all 'Fanboy' at the start.

But I would like to think that as long as they were regular posters and not always bragging about beiing famous I would treat them as I do anyone else.

4. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, it would suck to have some pompous celebrity come into FF and want to be treated like a god.

5. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    When I get my book finished and if it does get published and becomes a best seller, I might have to start using my sock that has like three posts. As far as someone recognizing my posting style, Sabine knows I am capable of changing it. ;) I could stop using spaces after commas and periods and misspel words on porpoise. (Like I just did there) :p

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, I think I would be the same. First like " :eek: Really? Wow!", but I hope I won't post that way in the first minutes. Actually I think I won't post in these minutes, because I don't want to let him/her feel uncomfortable. After that I think I would be happy to have a famous person onboard. But not because he/she is famous, but more because it is a good sign that a FF even give the possibility to relaxe and have fun for famous persons. That would mean more to me than just the person being famous.
    I really hope that I am able to treat him/her like everyone else. And I hope the FF would be the same afterwards and won't change.

But I also see the problem that there could be a lot of users joining just "to see the celebrity". No matter if someone advertise it or not. In my view fans can act really... weird. And that could cause problems. That's why I'm not sure if I really would like to have a famous person in our FF. But I have to admit that I won't say anything against it, if someone really joins us. ;)

That was not exactly what I asked, but... if a regular user becomes popular and this user wants to use a sock, I'm sure that some people can figure it out whose sock it is. No matter if you change your style. Of course it would be more difficulty, but there are other things you can see through a post and not only the spelling and so on. ;)

But it might help for all the new people who are looking for you. ;)

7. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I believe a 90s pop star was actually murdered by a crazy fan. So in some respects, it might not be so good.

But nevertheless, it would be fun, even for only a short amount of time.

8. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Sorry Sabine, you first sentence makes it seem like you were asking that also. [face_blush]

9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Well there one particular time that I was almost able to get Hayden to come to one of my large SW parties that I used to have a few years back but plans fell through a
    few days before the party. I had only mentioned it to a few people as I did not want to create a riot. Hayden was in Toronto at the time and his folks only live 30 mins away. I wanted to make a donation... It is a long story. I had some good connections and it almost happened :(

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok, I wasn't thinking that drastically, but maybe this is some kind to worry about, too.

Don't be sorry, Frank. It's another interesting part to discuss and it still belongs to this thread, although my focus is more on already famous person. :)

11. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I would try not to totally nerd out if that happened and try to treat them like a normal person. We would probably have a boost in membership if word got out about having a famous person joining us. I know this much, I would pity poor Ewan McGregger(sp?) if he ever joined STLFF. :p

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    We would treat Ewan very well thank you.

13. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Hehe.... I can just imagine what he would go though.

In the RMFF we have a published author as a member. I think maybe in a year or two she's going to have a really popular series out.

14. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I like to think we would be very friendly and accomadating and not act like a group of nitwits. Certainly it would be very nice and rewarding to have someone visit the group.. let alone join the group. I can't say what would happen as far as gaining extra members suddenly.. but if that happened then hopefully they would stay with us long after the famous person went away. Then again.. if the famous person liked us.. they could stay forever if they so desired. :)

I know in another place I frequent we have a published sci fi author in our midst.. I don't know that much about him.. but he is nice and he helped me plan a gift exchange amongst a group of about seven of us that blog. That's not really famous I suppose. .. but it does show that people that do things like become published authors or movie stars or whatever.. still do participate in all the everyday things we all do.. one of the chess sites ..ICC has a few pretty famous movie stars that frequent that site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.