main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT A fan version of a fan version

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So by now, most of us know about Adywan and his SW Revisited projects. I have to admit, his revisions concerning special effects are excellent, the picture/sound restoration that George's edits didn't fix, etc. All amazing. However... for me and several other fans, these revisions are marred by one thing - he reverts most of the edits George and co have made over the years. I am one of the fans who loves pretty much every change. I like the Jabba scene. I like the new Palpatine scene and Boba's voice. I like Anakin's ghost and the "Nooooo"! in ROTJ. Hell, I even have a liking for Jedi Rocks. It pains me to see these removed, despite all the good Adywan does.

Anyone know of a fan edit, or a possible future one, that has the best of both worlds for fans like myself?

*Adjusts nerd glasses*

2. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Can they be watched online?

3. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    None that i'm aware of that are available. I think Dark Jedi did a Special Edition restoration 8 years ago. Most can be found on Originaltrilogy.com. Most fan edits don't have the care and attention to detail that Adywan had. Having seen the ESB:R February Workprint last week - nothing comes close - not even Harmy's Despecialized (there is a debate online about his edits). Where restorations are concerned - 99.9% of fan editors don't even restore the original framing of the SW movies after using the cropped frame DVD or BR as a source.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Nope, Adywan is in a league of his own. Even if someone asked to alter his edits, I'm not sure what his response would be. Even while most of his edits are corrections of errors that were in the film, a lot of it is centered around his opinion - after all, it is his project.

For what it's worth, you can send him feedback on the Facebook page; he's restructuring ANH:R, and has already made a few changes (taking out the added effects to the torture droid).

I'm also interested to see where he goes with Return of the Jedi and the prequels. While the first two edits were focused on correcting errors, it seems he's going to be doing a complete overhaul on these films.

5. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008

Adywan has said that the prequels will be unrecognisable when he's done with them. Characters cut, re-dubs, new effects and scenes etc. Some very strong ideas too.

Jedi on the other hand - it's been said that Ewoks will be cut back in the Endor battle and working on more Rebel Commando action. Fett also gets a proper death scene, but will be dead completely so he can't resurface. There is other stuff - but it's all hush hush.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hmm. Looking on the site and some of the videos on youtube, this will be fun to follow.

7. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    ANH: R has relegated my ANH bluray to coaster status. There's only really two things in Adywan's version I dislike, as opposed to the many on the official bluray.

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    If my computer had enough power for hi-def renderings I would have done that myself. I love what Adywan did with the graphics (and I really liked how he re-cut the Vader vs Kenobi duel to look faster while putting the 'Battle of the Heroes' music in), but his deleting scenes really annoyed me.

But he will block you if he gets the slightest wiff of you being a Prequel or Special Edition fan. Only OOT opinions are allowed on his page.

From what I've heard so far, RTOJ will have ALL of the SE stuff replaced with OOT stuff (including going back to old Yub Nub), and the Prequels will be completely butchered. He even is planning on removing Mace Windu's purple lightsaber.
    It will be less of a 'fan' cut and more of a 'hate' cut.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I can see how you'd get disagreeing with how the prequels were made confused with hate.

10. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I saw that. It's mind-numbingly stupid. How could you take away Mace's purple lightsaber? Even the most staunch prequel haters I know love that!

If anything, I would add more lightsaber colors to the prequels than just blue and green. Especially in the Geonosian Arena. (Give Plo Koon back his yellow lightsaber!)

11. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    You do realise that Plo's yellow lightsaber was an EU thing and never on screen (only seen in the PS1 game Jedi Power Battles). That was a time when the EU wasn't canon (The EU only finally became canon on and off from 2005 onwards) and Lucas always said that Jedi's were supposed to have Blue or Green lightsabers and Sith Red originally before the prequels were even in production, so therefore Mace's purple lightsaber was purely at Jackson's request.

It's a fan edit. Adywan said he wants to tackle (if he does do them) the prequels to get it back to the feel what the OT had. Then again he said it's his take on SW after 37 years of fandom and if you don't like it - don't watch it. Nostalgia overrules.

12. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I won't. I only watched his OT cuts to see the graphical improvements. There will be none of those in his PT cuts so I'll regale them to the heap of other terrible 'fan edits' of good films.
    Nostalgia destroys creativity.

Samnz likes this.
  13. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Not everbody loves something with a SW logo attached to it. He hated the prequels (like a lot of passive cinema goers and older fans) so he's rectifying it to his vision of the much debated "missed opportunity" of those prequels.

Oh well, there are 34,000 other people on the Facebook page to enjoy Revisited.

14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Adywan screams "I HATE YOU" at a picture of George Lucas every time he makes an edit.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Wouldn't be surprised.

17. vizual1138

vizual1138 Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2013
    That's funny, because i have been a member of his facebook page for a few years now and i have been able to talk with him about the prequels without a problem. There are lots of people openly talking about the Special Editions and the Prequels and they're not getting banned. The only time i have seen people get banned is when they start attacking adywan personally just because of his edits or are just plain trolling. You say only OOT talk is allowed, so why is he keeping a lot of the Special Edition stuff in his edits? He has also said that he isn't going back to Yub Nub or Lapti Nek for his ROTJ. You say he hates the prequels, so why add prequel music into his ANH edit and why would he spend time working on the prequels if he hates them? Wouldn't he have just ignored anything to do with them and turned ANH into Episode 1 of the saga?? And he hates George Lucas? Even though he has said on numerous occasions how much he respects the guy. That he warns people with bans if they start bashing George Lucas. Just because someone doesn't agree with something George has done to the films, doesn't mean that they hate him. So why Sure, i don't like all of his changes and don't agree with all of his ideas, but you seem to have a problem with anything this guy does, enough to make stuff up about him to try and discredit him. The guy has been pretty open to talking to me through private messages on facebook about the prequels and the special editions, so i don't know why you think that he bans anyone that talks about them. Or were you one of the people who got banned over there?

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Can't see this thread going anywhere good, and it isn't really appropriate for this forum anyway.

Locking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.