main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fascinating Idea !

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by R2D1000, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R2D1000

R2D1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Heres a fascinating new idea. There was some discussion on another thread about mood music for writing.

Many classical pieces are highly inspirational and motivating. Theres a nice web site at http://www.classicalarchives.com with 1,768 composers listed and all their works in MIDI form. These files are also not large, around 250K each.

Let the mods pick one or more pieces from there. We'll all listen to it, and write a short story based on what that piece of music inspires us to write.

How do you like this idea?

2. Sologirl

Sologirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2004
    I like it!

I always listen to soundtracks for stuff like this and it inspires so many stories!

3. R2D1000

Jun 15, 2003
    Great! lets get this project going- all those who want to join up post in here

4. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    I love listening to music while I write (especially SW). I guess I'll join up and take the challenge.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, I think that's a really great challenge! I'll do my best to find time to write a response when a song's picked. Oooh, really good idea, I like it :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Right, I'm in. I'll do what I can to help.

7. R2D1000

Jun 15, 2003
    Oooh, really good idea, I like it

Another cool idea © Michael Kent ;)

A suggestion. The mods pick 3 pieces

1. A dark, piece, suggesting conflict/internal struggle

2. A light romantic piece

3. A fast paced one perhaps suggesting some sort of action

Its up to you to interpret it. For example, you might write a romantic interlude between Han & Leia in case #2 above or even the thoughts of an airwhale (Aiwha)
    on Kamino

8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    What?! How come WE have to do all the work! ;)

Well, I'll give you two of my favorite pieces (I don't know if they're on that website, but they shouldn't be hard to find, even at the local library):

Preludium in E Major from Partita #3 by Johan Sebastian Bach, which I'd love to use as opening track for a film someday.

and for romance, there is NO topping Clair de Lune by Debussey.

There's two! No colors, no prizes, no judging, just the joy of the challenge and a chance to broaden your musical horizons. Excelsior! :D

9. R2D1000

Jun 15, 2003
    Both are on that site. Just register as a free member first. It has every classical piece ever written.

>Preludium in E Major from Partita #3 by Johan Sebastian Bach, which I'd love to use as opening track for a film someday.

www.classicalarchives.com/m/7/bachvi1.mid

>and for romance, there is NO topping Clair de Lune by Debussey.

www.classicalarchives.com/m/1/clardlun.mid

10. Yun-Yuuzhan

Yun-Yuuzhan Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I'd suggest you use Mozart's Requiem in D minor for your Death and Dying Chanllenge.

At least the Lacrimosa if nothing else.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I once did a war fic based on Shostakovich's 5th symphony. It turned out really well. I'm going to do Claire de Lune, since I'm learning it on piano right now.

12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I thought about the Requiem[/b], but it seemed too easy. So was Night on Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky. But I could throw out Danse Macabre by St. Saens, which manages to be playful & creepy at the same time. Or "Asa's Death" from Peer Gynt by... the Norwegian fellow... blanking... ?[face_plain]

And PS, if you can get the Preludium done by Eugene Ormandy & the Philadelphia Orchestra... big plus! Wonderful, lavish rendition! They did a whole album of Bach favorites, and their Jesu, Joy of would make a great wedding march if you've got a whole cathedral to cross.

13. Yun-Yuuzhan

Yun-Yuuzhan Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    With all due respect, is the purpose of this challenge to find a piece that will make for a difficult writing experience, or to find one that will promote and result in a work of high quality?

14. R2D1000

Jun 15, 2003
    With all due respect, is the purpose of this challenge to find a piece that will make for a difficult writing experience, or to find one that will promote and result in a work of high quality?

Neither actually. The purpose is to suggest a piece,
    and see what it inspires writers to come up with.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Right, but we should chose one at a time and then post our interpretations at once so they're all on the same piece. I think it would work better that way.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Or "Asa's Death" from Peer Gynt by... the Norwegian fellow... blanking...

Grieg. Edvard Grieg. ;)

I'm not a particularly active fanfic writer, but I suppose I might make an exception for this kind of thing. I'm really into music, especially classical, and its inspirational qualities and whatnot.

17. R2D1000

Jun 15, 2003
    >Right, but we should chose one at a time and then post our interpretations at once so they're all on the same piece. I think it would work better that way.

Yes I agree. A couple of posts above, our moderator has suggested 2 pieces. We could begin on those tentatively.

18. Sologirl

Sologirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2004
    I agree - so lets pick a piece and get to it!!!

The bunnies are floating away my friends - got to get them while the gettin' is good!!

;)

19. JadeDjo

JadeDjo Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2004
    This sounds great, I'll try to find some time for it.

As for songs, how about Tchalikovsky's Barcarolle for the Dark piece. It think this would be a challange because it has a melencoly air to it but isn't all sad and depressing sounding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.