main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0!

This thread extends a warm welcome to all and sundry who wish to bask in their admiration and appreciation for the Anakin/Obi-Wan partnership. Together let us explore the sometimes turbulent relationship of these two brothers and comrades throughout their 13-year history during the PT, as well as their adversarial relationship during the Dark Times of the OT's Empire years as Vader/Ben. EU discussion as it pertains to Anakin and Obi-Wan, is also permitted, and this includes literature, graphic novels, and animation.

Stimulating and varied discussion is encouraged on this thread, as we appreciate that there are many types of Anakin/Obi-Wan fans out there. This forum is also a sanctuary for those fans who would like to simply bask in their celebration of both characters, and therefore, bashing of either character for its own sake, is discouraged.

Come and post opinions, pictures, fan fiction links, videos, anything you like as long as it's related to Anakin and Obi-Wan. If everyone can behave and keep it civil, as these two characters have been known to divide some fans, we can all have a place here to enjoy ourselves. In the end, it's all about sharing in our mutual appreciation of these characters, so the ultimate point is to be respectful and have a lot of fun.

[i]*Written by and credited to [b]iLoveAnakin7[/b]*[/i]

[hr]

Break out the Champagne!

[image=http://www.topgunsinc.com/Champagne%20POP.jpg]

Ladies and Gentlemen, I propose a toast.

The old thread, that we all love, started out with a bang a little over a year ago. Things have surely slowed down since then. But, and I am sure of this, our love for the boys has never faltered. We leave some wonderful times behind in that thread but I am sure that we will make some wonderful NEW memories in the NEW version of out Obi/Ani oasis. May we always look to the future.

So here is to new beginnings!

CHEERS!

[hr]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_community/b10012/23932479/p1]A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 1.0[/link]

2. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Whooo! thanks Alley for the new thread. Here's to 300 more pages LOL:D

Oh and, Dark Disciple deserves the credit for that opening, not me[face_peace]

3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Oooh, a shiny happy new thread! Looks good, Alley! Ani/Obi forever! :D

*This post brought to you by amidala-on-a-Simpsons-movie-high-chick*

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Glad to see the new thread, and yeah the Simpsons Movie was awesome.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Congrats on the new thread, guys. :)

6. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Oh and, Dark Disciple deserves the credit for that opening, not me

Oh really?
    Sorry about that, D_D!

Ani/Obi forever!

Cheers!

*This post brought to you by amidala-on-a-Simpsons-movie-high-chick*

[face_laugh] I can tell too!

Thanks, DarthIntegral:)

7. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    [face_dancing] Yay! a new thread for Obiwan and Anakin. Let's party!

8. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    Thanks!:D

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/141404617_a0cf1a7da2.jpg]

Never seen these before!

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/141404655_610c090238.jpg]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/0/01/ObiWanMeetsAnakin.jpg/240px-ObiWanMeetsAnakin.jpg]

[image=http://img112.exs.cx/img112/492/ep3anakinobilavaquote1yc.jpg]

9. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Here we go again! :D

Here's to 300 great pages and 300 more to come! It's been great!

10. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    Hey guys, this might be a dumb idea, and I'm not sure if you guys want to do it, but maybe we could post a pic of the week, or day, and have a mini-disccusion on it:D Maybe every 3 days or so. I don't think we've done that before, and I've seen it done in other threads, and lj communities, and it seems to work nicely.

Your thoughts on how that particular moment made you feel. Did you like that scene or moment, what could have been done better, how important was it in the scheme of things? Things like that.

Yay or nay?

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it'd be great as it will help stimulate discussion until the release of the 3D Clone Wars, which I'm sure will cause a resurgence. :p

12. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    maybe we could post a pic of the week, or day, and have a mini-disccusion on it Maybe every 3 days or so.

I like that idea, Dee!

Maybe we can have Friday Night pic spams. I use to do those for the Hayden thread and it was pretty fun :)

I'm thinking we should do the caption game again. I'm starting to miss all the gutter fun we use to have;)

13. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Regarding these picture ideas, all I can say is...

[Palpatine voice]Do it![/Palpatine voice]

:p

14. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    LOL @ Kim. Okies everyone. I don't have a lot of good pics in stock though. Alley, I think you have some nice ones though, so I'll PM you about that:)

Picspams sound fun too!:D

Anyway, I guess we can start that later tonight after my annoying day is complete[face_frustrated]

15. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Oh,those are good ones.love them all especially the last ones.those first two appears to be their stand ins.I think it was in the ROTS dvd.

16. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    Can't wait to for those pictures!

I saw the Simpsons movie on Saturday night... i couldn't stop laughing! I was so surprised it was that good.

I'm watching AOTC and something occured to me when Anakin and Obi-wan were having their little fight about the mission of protecting Padme in the prescence of Padme. I believe that Anakin always expected Obi-wan to be more like Qui-gon in a sense. Ya know, like a padawan should be in some shadow of his master. I think Anakin was sorta expecting Obi-wan to be more against the Council in some aspects, but we all know Obi-wan can sometimes be a stiff. Does anyone else feel this way or am I the odd one out?

17. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Glad I found the new thread.

As regards to Obi-Wan and Anakin in the above mentioned AotC scene - I won't get into any bashing of character behavior there. I think we all know what was going down.

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it may be that Anakin expected Obi-Wan to be what he saw Qui-Gon as(though he likely idealized him since he barely knew him before he died.) However, I think it was mostly Anakin's hormones/love for Padme causing him to act like he was in charge of the situation and make promises that he had no way of keeping. That said, I don't know that Qui-Gon would have permitted Anakin's behavior either given how stern he was with Obi-Wan when he said that he felt Anakin was dangerous. Qui-Gon may have been less public about it however I suppose.

19. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    Glad you found us Deb:)

My opinion on Rachel's question: I don't think Anakin expected Obi-Wan to be like Qui-Gon. I don't think he expected him to be anyone but him, which was maybe a problem for Anakin. Obi-Wan was raised from an early age following the Code, so it's easy for him to put his personal feelings aside (as he should) and do what they were ordered by the Council to do. Then you have Anakin, well he's been told he needs to do the same, and follow the same protocol. But it's not ingrained in him, and as we can see, he goes off on a tangent and says what *he* personally thinks would be the best thing to do in the sitaution, rather than follow the Jedi way. Do I make any sense? LOL. I think Qui-Gon ultimately was somewhere in between these two, which is why he got along so well with both of them. Let's face it, Anakin and Obi-Wan are polar opposites when it comes down to how things need to be handled, but, the beauty of it is, that we see later on how much they do indeed rub off on each other, and that in turn shapes their last days as Jedi.:D I hope I answered your question nicely.:-B

Likewise, I was watching TPM last night for the first time in MONTHS. Many Months. It's always nice to take a long break, and then re-watch how everything went down. It just gets more tragic each time though. Usually when I go back, I like to look at little things, like facial expressions they might have passed each other in the early days. Sometimes, that can be a lot more telling than dialouge.

Enough of my rambling...here is the first pic that I could come up with for possible disccusion. One of my favorite scenes tee hee

[image=http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i129/Sarad_Thamia/AnivsObi-Wan.gif]

DISCUSS!!!!:p

20. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I always wondered - what's with all the flinging around with the sabers, guys? Tee hee. I also love that scene just for the pure insanity of it. Ha.

21. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Heh, yeah, with that scene in AOTC Anakin was definitely overstepping his authority it seemed (although with certain reason, as well as, yes, hormones encouraging him to give Padme everything he could), but Obi-Wan should've at least listened to him. Of course, if he has a history of overstepping the boundaries and Obi-Wan has no time to waste catering to Anakin's personal involvement but instead needs to immediately remind him that he *cannot* let his emotions get in the way of doing exactly what the council and his master need him to... well, you get the idea. It's complicated, certainly.

22. BattousaiCV

BattousaiCV Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2007
    It's probably been posted already but - http://aniwanrave2.ytmnd.com/

As to why the twirling was done (aside from that it looked cool and just because they COULD), maybe taunting?

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    As far as Anakin and Obi-Wan I do agree with what Dee said about how Anakin always ends up saying what he personally thinks, whereas Obi-Wan operates more as a representative of the Jedi Order and as such at times holds his tongue when Anakin wouldn't.

I love the pointless twirling in that part. What I find most interesting is that that picture and the push that comes just after what the picture shows is that it really doesn't make Vader look like he's far above Kenobi's power as he should be.

I love that ytmnd, and yeah I suppose it could a taunt. I thought it was also supposed to be a way to build up speed and momentum, but that really doesn't make much sense for a lightsaber given that they're weightless.

24. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm watching AOTC and something occured to me when Anakin and Obi-wan were having their little fight about the mission of protecting Padme in the prescence of Padme. I believe that Anakin always expected Obi-wan to be more like Qui-gon in a sense. Ya know, like a padawan should be in some shadow of his master. I think Anakin was sorta expecting Obi-wan to be more against the Council in some aspects, but we all know Obi-wan can sometimes be a stiff. Does anyone else feel this way or am I the odd one out?

Well, I don�t think Ani necessarily thought that Obi-Wan would be like Qui, I mean Ani had known bim for long enough to know that that's just NOT happening. But, I guess maybe he did kind of hope that Obi would be more sensitive ala Qui-Gon. (And, as a side note, I think Qui-Gon would have listened to Anakin, or even more likely would have held investigation as an option even w/o Ani's comment.) I do think that Anakin shouldn't have publicly contradicted Obi-Wan. I don't blame him for his eagerness to help of his more liberal way of thinking but contradicting his master in public probably wasn't a very good idea. But then, Obi-Wan, as the master and the example-setter as well as, supposedly, the more mature and level-headed one, should not have answered in kind: humiliating Anakin in front of Padme like that. A stern look and a "we will discuss this later" would have done the job.

As to why the twirling was done (aside from that it looked cool and just because they COULD), maybe taunting?

You know, I never thought about it, as in why they did that, but ye taunting could be a reasonable explanation.

I thought it was also supposed to be a way to build up speed and momentum, but that really doesn't make much sense for a lightsaber given that they're weightless.

Well, actually, the hilts aren't weightless Also they would be building up speed in a way. As for momentum...well I suppose maybe not momentum for the blades themselves but for the wielders. Then when they clashed blades they would have more momentum and could push down on their opponents blade with more power.

What I personally love about that moment is how perfectly in synch they are. On some documentary I think it was, (I don�t remember if GL of Nick said this) it was said that after the first few moments of the duel all the flashy moves were over and they were really choreographing it in a way so it would really be like "fighting yourself. They are so evenly matched that sometimes they just can�t get through." And it makes sense. I mean they probably know each other�s way of thinking/fighting by heart by that time.

25. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    Nice to meet you BattousaiCV. thanks for that rave LOL, I love that. Does look like they are dancing, eh?:)

Yes, it did look cool tee hee, but I think it was done from a cinematic POV to show how in tune to each other's moves they are, and done from an Anakin/Obi-Wan POV to, IDK, size each other up. While they are twirling they are probably both thinking, "Come on make your move, blah blah blah." I guess after 1000+ hours of sparring they are bound to be playing the same tune.:)

As far as Anakin and Obi-Wan I do agree with what Dee said about how Anakin always ends up saying what he personally thinks, whereas Obi-Wan operates more as a representative of the Jedi Order and as such at times holds his tongue when Anakin wouldn't.

Yup, and that's why they often clash in canon. :_| I'm sure Obi-Wan cannot understand why Anakin cannot hold his tongue, probably because he's never had those feelings as strongly as Anakin to just speak your mind and say to hell with the code, but I'm sure as time went along the urge might have become stronger, especially after being around someone like that for 13-14 years. Likewise, Anakin cannot understand why Obi-Wan doesn't use his feelings more often, or at least he might understand the basics of that, but is often frustrated, and then he runs to Palpatine who more often than not assures him he was right, so Anakin never really learns at all. [face_devil] (This is why i do not view Obi-Wan as a bad teacher. He couldn't possibly stand a chance with Palps on the sidelines feeding Anakin's ego day and night).

(And, as a side note, I think Qui-Gon would have listened to Anakin, or even more likely would have held investigation as an option even w/o Ani's comment.)

Alley, let me say that I love that you are here because we often have opposing views, and that keeps up the debate! [face_devil] :D

I have to disagree and say that Qui-Gon would have been like Obi-Wan in this situation. Maybe even more severe. We have to take into account Qui-Gon the man, and Qui-Gon the Jedi. We seem him as fatherly and nurturing to Anakin in episode one because he thinks Anakin is the Chosen One, and Anakin has gone to great lengths to help them in their time of need. He pretty much dotes on Anakin like a son here, even in the more traditional sense of the word than Obi-Wan. (Is it any wonder that Obi-Wan might feel a little slighted like an older brother?). But....if Qui-Gon had lived and taken Anakin on as his apprentice, I highly doubt Qui-Gon would be letting him spout of the way he was to Obi-Wan. While I do not think Qui-Gon a strict heartless man, he takes his duties seriously as a teacher and mentor, and IMO, there's no way Anakin would get the lee-way he does with Obi-Wan. I think, Anakin being his first student, Obi-Wan actually goes easier on him than he should. If we look at the entire PT in context, Obi-Wan really turns a blind eye to a lot of Anakin's rule breaking, whereas I think Qui-Gon would have put his foot down. Overall, Obi-Wan was too attached to Anakin by the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.