main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Pretty wallpapers, Dee!

In the novel Rogue Planet, Obi contemplates a few years of solitude on a desert planet once he's free of Anakin LOL.

Hee hee...I bet he never thought 'a few years' would turn into...twenty?

I'm sure if he did that in an AU situation, though, Anakin would show up for a visit. :p

2. Jedi-knight-25

Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2007
    Nice pics, iLoveAnakin7 :D

Do you want me to call you iLoveAnakin7 or Dee? :)

I think Obi-wan should have helped Anakin after the Obi-wan vs. Anakin duel, I think maybe Anakin could have turned back to the light side if Obi-wan helped him, what does everyone else think? [face_thinking]

3. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    You can call me whatever makes you feel comfortable Ice:D [face_devil]

I certainly don't think Luke would stay that composed if the Empire had destroyed Tatooine or Han if they destroyed the Falcon and forced him to watch.

Ironically though, Luke was the much better candidate to take on Vader because he's more like Padme in the personality department, whereas Leia is more like Anakin tee hee.[face_devil]

That's why while I do like Episode 1 I still wish they had had Anakin be older in Episode 1 and Obi-Wan be the one who found him.

I don't mind Anakin's age, I'm not sure if I ever did or not, if I did, it was only for a fluke second. But I always did wish we could see the time immediately after he arrived at the Temple and began his training. I feel that we missed too much of those 10 years, and Jude Watson's EU just ain't cutting it for me[face_plain] :(

I still wish GL would have written it so that Obi-Wan found him. RotJ would make more sense at least LOL. Now the part where Ben talks to Luke after Yoda dies has gaps in it. It really does make Obi-Wan look like a liar. I'm just keep thinking... "You did not take it upon yourself to train him really, Qui-Gon wanted you to." Not to mention, he implies that HE found him, thought he was fascinating, and then chose him on his own. Yah I know, I'm picky, but I still think this is a plot hole right up there with Leia saying she remembers her real mother, almost implying she spent a period of months with Padme after she was born.

Yeah, that's... right up there with, 'Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?'

LOL Poor Obi, he's so ironic and doesn't even know it. He drops a lot of anvils in the PT. [face_laugh] 8-}

You're welcome Shrunken, glad you liked them.:D

I'm sure if he did that in an AU situation, though, Anakin would show up for a visit.

Oh I'm sure Anakin would show up and pester him just for the heck of it. [face_plain] :D

Funny thing is, by RotS, even if the war wasn't going on, I'm sure he would have invited Anakin along for old times sake....eh...maybe LOL.

I think Obi-wan should have helped Anakin after the Obi-wan vs. Anakin duel, I think maybe Anakin could have turned back to the light side if Obi-wan helped him, what does everyone else think?

Well I'm sorely sorry to have no faith in Anakin at this point, and I believe he deserved what he got. GL has said as much on the DVD. Anakin burning was his punishment for his atrocities. I don't care that Anakin was scared of losing Padme and did it all for her. Poppy-****. It may have started out that way, but in the end, she was just an excuse. You can see that in his final convo to her. The power has eaten his brain. You know I do love Anakin's character, but it stops there. I think he was all about himself at that moment and personifies the "Me me me" aspect of a person to a T. He wasn't always like that, though he often boasted as a child, but it only got worse with Jedi training. Not once did he say he wants to save Padme for herself, it was all about him not wanting to live without her. She was the last of his family since he had lost his mother. I think he could have taken losing Padme if his mother had not died.

I see a lot of people say Obi-Wan was cruel for leaving Anakin there to burn, but I do not agree. Again, people are only seeing Anakin's side here, Obi-Wan had just had his heart broken by his best friend. He was betrayed. Anakin destroyed their friendship, and everything Obi-Wan knew and stood for within a matter of a few lightsaber strikes. He slayed *defenseless children*.

In the end Obi-Wan could kill him off, but left him to the Force.

In the RotS novel, it says Obi-Wan was often a merciful man, but he was feeling merciful toward Anakin.:_|

As far as turning back, Anakin IMO had no drive to turn back until Luke came along, and he saw what pure love Luke possessed for him.

JMO:D

4. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    I was shocked at what Anakin did and I was wondering why would he do that when Anakin was trained by the very people he was betraying. He should have chose the right path and saving Padme was not an excuse for what he did, but I am gald Luke came and saved him. Luke succeded where Anakin failed, he refused Palpatine's offer.

Tomorrow I will post at least 2 pictures.

iLoveAnakin7 I will call you Dee from now on. :D

I will see everyone in the morning. I-)

5. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Dee, I see it your way, but I'll add that Obi-Wan believed (and this ended up to be a wrong belief, but Yoda also believed it) that Anakin the person, the soul, was already gone -- consumed by the evil personality of Darth Vader. In their minds he was a Sith and always would be a Sith. And the Jedi are sworn to destroy the Sith - not help them. Obi-Wan wouldn't outright kill Anakin as he's laying there helpless, but rather left it to the Force whatever would happen. So he walks away.

Obviously Luke proved this wrong, but until that time, it's what was firmly believed by the Jedi. It turns out that only awakening love in the soul would be able to bring Vader back into the light.

6. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    He slayed *defenseless children*.

Click this link. Scroll about halfway down the page to BlindMan's post from 6/18/06.

You will never view that scene the same way again. [face_devil]

In all seriousness, I'm not entirely sure what I think about the aftermath of the duel. Anakin did horrible things, yes, and I can definitely see Obi-Wan's side. I probably would do the same things if I were in Obi's situation. But...I have a fire phobia, and what happened to Anakin is about the worst fate I could imagine. I can stomach a lot of gore and violence, but watching that scene physically hurts (which is why I don't watch it anymore...Mustafar never happened at all in my world! [face_not_talking] :p) And I guess I'm just not sure *anyone* deserves that.

7. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I wouldn't say he "deserved" that, but there is usually a price to pay for ones actions. I guess that was the price, albiet awful as it is.

8. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    I guess that was Anakin's punishments for what he did, but Luke still succeeded where Anakin failed by refusing Palpatine's offer.

Here are 2 pictures for the day.

[image=http://www.obroa-skai.net/videogames/pix/starwars/sw-lightsaber.jpg]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/6/61/AnakinSkywalker.jpg/250px-AnakinSkywalker.jpg]

9. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    Thanks Ice for the pics:D

Have you guys been to the EU section of the board yet? Under Small Screen SW they have concept pictures if you want to check them out.:D

I was shocked at what Anakin did and I was wondering why would he do that when Anakin was trained by the very people he was betraying.

Sadly, Ice, I fail to think a lot of times Anakin operates on logic. We know it's wrong - heck, he knew it was wrong as well, but his attachment issues got the better of him. He thought he was going to lose Padme, and instead of using his Jedi training and remembering that the future is always in motion, he took matters into his own hands with no regard for anyone but himself, and paid for it in the end. Sometimes, I not sure if we're actually supposed to be sympathetic to RotS Anakin or not. Maybe so, maybe not. Because I am to a degree when I think about the other movies, and what led him to that point, but then I'm not because he does have a brain and he could have said no and stopped being so selfish. Eh, I don't know. Mostly I love Anakin's story and character arc, but if I ever met a person like him IRL, I would back away slowly.[face_devil] Alley is going to KILL me when she reads all of this LOL[face_laugh]

And the Jedi are sworn to destroy the Sith - not help them.

True Deb. And I agree with the rest of what you say as well. This why I don't get why people do not understand Obi-Wan's POV in this. He often gets raked over the coals for his part in the duel, but it wasn't he who betrayed those he loved. Am I wrong here? Was he supposed to just let AnaVader run rampant?[face_worried]

But...I have a fire phobia, and what happened to Anakin is about the worst fate I could imagine. I can stomach a lot of gore and violence, but watching that scene physically hurts (which is why I don't watch it anymore...Mustafar never happened at all in my world! ) And I guess I'm just not sure *anyone* deserves that.

LOL! I can watch most gore, except people getting knifed...OMG!

Mustafar never happened in my world either....little Anakin that is still nine years old had a terrible nightmare.[face_whistling]

Some people say Anakin got off easy. But I'm glad he did not die (not just because the OT wouldn't make sense anymore LOL), but because I am firm believer that those who committ terrible crimes should be alive to suffer for them. Dying is like getting off easy IMO.

Ooooo I sound so crass:eek: [face_devil]

10. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    I agree, if I saw evil Anakin I would not go near him. [face_worried]

I would only talk to the good Anakin. :cool:

11. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I may also seem a bit cold-hearted, but I again agree, Dee.

That type of man just wouldn't be my type. I need my space...not someone obsessing over me all the time. Oh, well. To each his own.

For me it's freedom.

12. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    Some people say that darth plagueis or Palpatine had somthing to do with the birth of Anakin but I don't think that the sith were involved in any way. I am curious about this subject. :oops:

I don't think Darth plagueis knew how to influence midichlorians. I think that Palpatine caused that dream to scare Anakin and to cause him to turn to the dark side.

What does everyone else think? [face_thinking]

13. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Oh, boy ICE, I just don't know. I used to think Plaguis did and then again, I revert to my theory of the Force had a hand in it, and Anakin just didn't follow the light path and took a big 20 year detour. I know, just more of my nonsense...

I also am quite sure Lucas deliberately left that end a big mystery on purpose to give us something to wonder about. I don't think he ever answered any questions with regard to the origins of Anakin. All we are told in Ep 1 by Shmi is "there is no father" Huh??? I guess we can make of that what we will. Wow, that just blows my mind.

14. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    Yeah, this is all confusing, it is one of that most confusing things of star wars.

George Lucas did say that this is something that will be kept a mystery.

15. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    And in a way, it's neat that way. Does EVERYTHING have to be spelled out, so that there's no speculation or anything left to the viewer? It's fine the way it is to me.

16. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    Actually I agree with you, I don't think everything needs to be explained. I think there are somethings better of not explained. I like this way. :)

17. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    regarding their battle aftermath,Obiwan would have wanted to help Anakin,but by that time he was already deep into the dark side(his eyes were aleady yellow),and his expression towards Obiwan at that time was of pure hate.Anakin was gone and Darth Vader had taken over his soul.

Luke in ANH was more like Anakin...whiny.I like him better in ROTJ.

18. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I think Luke takes after his father a bit that way, too. I have this feeling I'm in for it... [face_worried]

19. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    Oh, that?s just I call the ?whole picture.? Like, to make sure that none of my opinions contradict with each other. I don?t have the whole thing written out b/c I haven?t found the time or way to make it well organized. Its basically just all my view points and arguments.

OOOHHHH.... I guess that makes so much sense.

Yea, but she and Obi-Wan weren?t really friends, just acquaintances, really. One could say that Padme and Anakin had become closer friends during the time they were hiding on Naboo.

Yeah... I can see that, but IMO Padme and Obi-wan were good friends too.

I strongly disagree. He was an indirect cause, in this case, but certainly not a direct one.
    A person choose whether they want to ?loose the will to live? or not.
    Look just because a guy dumps a girl and ?breaks her heart? and she goes and commits suicide doesn?t make him responsible for her death does it?

I see.

The Son Of The Suns is a prophecy that was in an earlier draft of Star Wars as well as I think the novelization to A New Hope. All we know about it is that it's from the Journal of the Whills and that the Prophecy is:

"...And in the time of greatest
    despair there shall come a savior,
    and he shall be known as: THE SON
    OF THE SUNS."
    Journal of the Whills, 3:127

It was written by Lucas back in 1975 I believe and was about Luke, though it's never mentioned in the films. I think it still fits Luke better than anyone given that he was born into the galaxy just after his father's corruption, the rise of the Empire, and destruction of the Jedi Order. He ends up a savior in more ways than one in the Original Trilogy as he destroys the Death Star sparing other systems from the fate of Alderaan, saves his father's soul by redeeming him, and saves the Jedi Order from extinction by founding the New Jedi Order(even in the movies it's made clear he's going to do this).

Thanks so much. It's so much clearer now.

I'm pretty sure that Yoda only felt Mace die though, not Anakin turning. I think Jedi can only feel life passing through the force.

Dee, wasn't that after Anakin pledges himself, not when Mace dies?

Yeah, Padme had such a strong character, and in ep. 3 she just dies of a broken heart? I think not. One of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. Couldn't she at least have died of natural causes? She could still die at the same time as Anakin becomes Vader and the same time as the Republic dies, retaining the symbolism. But honestly, just save me from the utter lunacy of her dying of a broken heart. It's not in her to go that way in those circumstances, quite apart from the fact that it's not a credible way for *anyone* to die.

So true, Shrunken... it seems to make more sense if she died of natural causes because of Anakin's force choke or giving birth to Luke and Leia.

I'm not sure. I mean, I think he felt the deaths of Mace, Ki-Adi, Plo Koon, Aayla, Stass, etc. but I think he sensed what Anakin had become sometime because when Obi-Wan looks in the security recordings to find out the truth it seems as though Yoda already knows he has turned to the Dark Side.

See Forrest that's what I was thinking, but I don't even know myself yet.

He looked over at Yoda. "Master Yoda, you and I have been close since I
    was a boy. An infant. Yet if ending this war one week sooner-one day
    sooner-were to require that I sacrifice your life, you know I would."

"As you should," Yoda said. "As I would yours, young Obi-Wan. As any
    Jedi would any other, in the cause of peace."
    "Any Jedi," Obi-Wan said, "except Anakin."

Obi-wan nailed it!

"Because," he admitted reluctantly, "he knows I would do the same for
    him."

I almost cried when I read this... Poor Obi-wan... I don't care what anyone else says! These two are, godforgiven, definitely BROTHERS!!!!

I wish more scenes like this were in the movie. And yes this sce

20. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    Does anyone know if there is any new news for the live action star wars tv series yet? :)

Here is a poster for Clone Wars. :)

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/SWTCW_CIV_Poster.jpg]

21. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Forrest may be the one with the answer to that, Ice.

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think Obi-wan should have helped Anakin after the Obi-wan vs. Anakin duel, I think maybe Anakin could have turned back to the light side if Obi-wan helped him, what does everyone else think?

I think by that point Anakin was too consumed by his anger, hatred, and lust for power for Obi-Wan to be able to reach him. I think even in RotJ the only people who had a hope of redeeming Anakin were Luke and Leia since they were the last Skywalkers and Leia couldn't because she was too full of anger towards Vader to be able to see what was left of Anakin. Luke was really the galaxy's last hope as only the Chosen One could destroy the Sith and only he had a chance at bringing the Chosen One back from within the darkness of Vader.

Ironically though, Luke was the much better candidate to take on Vader because he's more like Padme in the personality department, whereas Leia is more like Anakin tee hee.

Oh definitely, Leia would have probably given into her anger and killed Vader given that he'd tortured her and was complicit in the destruction of Alderaan. It's one thing I think the EU got right as Anakin appeared to her soon after Endor in order to apologize for what he had done as Vader and she basically told him to get lost because of what he had done and she soon after said

"Maybe Vader had died heroically, but ten minutes of contrition did not make up for years of atrocities."

Now of course as far as Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and the Force are concerned his final act does in fact make up for it, but I think Leia was probably harsher towards Vader. I think the EU book I,Jedi does a fairly good job of putting Luke's view of Vader into words during Luke's lecture to his students about how "many truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

"You all know of Darth Vader as the most vile creature that ever lived. He became a symbol of the Empire's evil. He personified
    evil in the minds of many, including all of you."
    Luke's voice dropped to a harsh whisper, forcing us to strain to hear him. "But I tell you this, he was [i]good.[/i]"
    My jaw dropped in complete disbelief. "That's some point of view."
    The Jedi Master nodded. "Please understand this: there was, inside Darth Vader, the core of the man he had once been. Though wrapped
    in layers of evil, this man still existed. In Vader's final moments, he won out. He rejected the evil that had become his life. He
    rejected his master, the Emperor and killed him."
    Brakiss' head came up. "I thought you killed the Emperor."
    Luke shook his head. "I caused the Emperor to be destroyed by reaching out to the good in Darth Vader and making him change his
    heart. I was just the instrument of change that allowed Darth Vader to redeem himself."
    [hr]

I'd have put Leia's actual response to Anakin's ghost earlier but I have no idea where my copy of Truce at Bakura is.

[b][color=blue]I don't mind Anakin's age, I'm not sure if I ever did or not, if I did, it was only for a fluke second. But I always did wish we could see the time immediately after he arrived at the Temple and began his training. I feel that we missed too much of those 10 years, and Jude Watson's EU just ain't cutting it for me[/color][/b]

Even I don't read Jude Watson's stuff. :p I also think that it's important that we know the younger Anakin, but I think it's less critical than the later parts of Anakin's life once he's already a Jedi but given that Lucas hates the only ways to handle it are the way he did or to have Anakin and Obi-Wan mention facts about it in the same way that Ben and Yoda mentioned facts about the way Anakin was before he became Vader, which I actually think could have worked.

[b][color=blue]I still wish GL would have written it so that Obi-Wan found him. RotJ would make more sense at least LOL. Now the part where Ben talks to Luke after Yoda dies has gaps in

23. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    EEK, there's so much to quote, so I'm going to do this in two parts, and I'll do the other part later today or tomorrow.:D

Ice asked if we thought Anakin was created by Plageuis, and I'll have to say no. I never thought that. I've always believed it was Palpatine lying to him. I can't believe that evil and deceit can understand and find the pathways to achieve the power to make life, when Qui-Gon Jinn had only recently discovered the path to immortality.

And then there's many other reasons, but my main one is this: I believe Anakin was created solely by the Force as a reaction to an ongoing inbalance that the Sith were causing in the Force.:)

Dee, wasn't that after Anakin pledges himself, not when Mace dies?

You know, I honestly cannot remember now LOL. I'll have to go back and watch RotS. Everything in those scenes happened fast.

I almost cried when I read this... Poor Obi-wan... I don't care what anyone else says! These two are, godforgiven, definitely BROTHERS!!!!

*shakes head up and down and nods in agreement*:D

Just look at the expression of Vaderkin's face, plus the eyes... *shudders*

Very freaky, and there's at moment during the duel when before they get to the lava bank where they are floating along on those thingies, and Anakin stares Obi down with evil eyes, and Obi just looks at him with disbelief.:(

Thank you Ice for the poster. Anakin to me, looks like he's wearing a dress LOL!

Ta-ta for now!

24. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    You know, I honestly cannot remember now LOL. I'll have to go back and watch RotS. Everything in those scenes happened fast.

I thought it was during Order 66, but I may not be remembering correctly.

25. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Yeah, he drops his ol gimmer even at that one. [face_laugh]

Hey, where's everyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.