main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm pretty sure Yoda reacts after Anakin turns, too.

I was watching parts of RotS last night. Movies always seem more fun at 1 in the morning when you can't sleep. :p Anyway, one part that really stands out for me during Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel is their Force push. To me, that scene always looks like they're reaching for each other, but at that point in time they can't quite connect. It's a poignant little moment.

2. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Interesting....I never looked at it that way. I always saw it as two former friends testing each other in a deadly game of push and shove, so to speak.

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh I've been on, I just didn't want to have a conversation with myself. :p

I always took it as former brothers facing off and trying to get an advantage over their opponent but both failing to gain an edge over their opponent. I can see where you're coming from with both reaching out, it just hadn't ever occurred to me before.

4. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    I never thought of it that way either, but I could see it.

Is it dead in here, or what?

SOMEONE START A CONVO!!! lol:p

5. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Hey, Luver, I'm sorry, but me and Hubby get a little busy over the weekends...

Whacha wanna talk about?

I personally was amusing myself at watching Anakin and Obi-wan jumping off towers onto lava platforms the size of a rug. That part always amazes me.

6. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Hey guys! I'm back!
    I've read through most of the convo that you guys've had. I'll refraim from commenting for the moment and jump in from here on out :)

Anyway, one part that really stands out for me during Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel is their Force push. To me, that scene always looks like they're reaching for each other, but at that point in time they can't quite connect. It's a poignant little moment.

Kim, that's awesome! I've never thought of it that way but it makes sense in a symbolic way. I really like this idea. Makes the whole thing all the more tragic.

7. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It does, but I just don't see Darth Vader reaching for him at that point given that he thinks Obi-Wan turned Padme against him.

8. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I thought it was a test of wills and getting a feel for each other's force ability perhaps?

9. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    thought it was a test of wills and getting a feel for each other's force ability perhaps?

I'm sure it was. I just like tp play around with different symbolism and stuff and I thought what Kim came up with was pretty cool.

It does, but I just don't see Darth Vader reaching for him at that point given that he thinks Obi-Wan turned Padme against him.

Yea, I guess. Even if he wants to somewhere deep inside, he's not about to do it...especially not this far down the lin.
    And then, I don't see Obi-Wan reaching out for Anakin ether, given that he doesn't really try to during any other part of the duel or earlier confrontation, at least IMO.

Maybe its a double sided thing. Like they wish they could reach out for each other but they can't and they don't and in the end they push each other further away -- literary too, since they go flying to opposite sides of the room.
    Which also seems kind of reflective f their whole relationship: as much as they might have wanted to be close and reached out for one another there was always something in between them...you know the communication issues? So in the end, they end up pushing each other away because of these issues that are between them.

10. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Nice, Alley. Those two certainly had their issues. :( It's amazing that despite that they were quite the team. :) Apparently opposites have a way of evening each other out.

11. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
    I guess so arbed... lol...

Alley, I like ur double sided theory. That sounds the most plausible.

Rachel Rose@};-

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yea, I guess. Even if he wants to somewhere deep inside, he's not about to do it...especially not this far down the lin.

That's what I think, of course I think once the duel starts Vader would love to kill Obi-Wan slowly and painfully and would enjoy seeing his misery, so I tend to think that by this point he's 'Vader' and not 'Anakin.'

And then, I don't see Obi-Wan reaching out for Anakin ether, given that he doesn't really try to during any other part of the duel or earlier confrontation, at least IMO.

I think Obi-Wan tries in the duel with the whole "Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!" thing. I don't think it had a shot of working both because of who he was, he way he attempted it, and that Vader didn't have any regret about what he had become yet.

Maybe its a double sided thing. Like they wish they could reach out for each other but they can't and they don't and in the end they push each other further away -- literary too, since they go flying to opposite sides of the room.
    Which also seems kind of reflective f their whole relationship: as much as they might have wanted to be close and reached out for one another there was always something in between them...you know the communication issues? So in the end, they end up pushing each other away because of these issues that are between them.

I think it works for symbolism, but I think the in-universe reason and likely the reason for the choreography was closer to arbed's explanation.

13. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    as much as they might have wanted to be close and reached out for one another there was always something in between them...you know the communication issues?

Yes, what a tragedy. It's very hard to watch two people who love each other not connect all the way. They made a lot of progress during the war, but it seems like a few dead bodies only bonded them half way, and kept them emotionally at bay with each other a lot. *rambles and doesn't know if she makes any sense*

A lot of their problems were external as much as they were internal. Perhaps the internal being caused by the external...The Jedi Council/Order. No way could they grow as close as say a relationship one of us might possess, because one of them was raised to be detached, and it was a lucky thing that they learned the attachment of a friend, and the other was raised to be attached and never fully grasped the former, which made him frustrated and secretive.

And then it all went to hell.

14. Jedi-knight-25

Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2007
    I am back!! :D

Here is the picture of the day! :D

[image=http://www.uelsu.net/download/attachments/59313/starwars3_01.jpeg]

I hope they release more trailers for clone wars very soon.

What does everyone else want to see in Clone wars?

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm hoping for more of the greatest Jedi team. A lot of what I wish we'd see but know we won't are some of the EU characters that fought in the Clone Wars such as Nejaa Halcyon, K'kruhk, and A'Sharad Hett. I'm also hoping that the Kenobi Offensive will make an appearance as well as seeing just why Obi-Wan is called The Negotiator. It'd also be nice to see more of Anakin behaving as an actual hero rather than proto-Vader.

16. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    I also hope that they have the Anakin/Obi-wan team, I hope they show more Obi-wan and Anakin battles and Anakin vs. asajj ventress. I saw asajj ventress in the trailer looking for Anakin so I think they will battle. It might show how he got that scar.

17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    If it does I hope it doesn't conflict with the comics. It wouldn't need to really since they dueled on Coruscant which could be really cool.

18. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    LOL, Forrest and his EU [face_laugh]

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The way I look at it the TV show is part of the EU so avoiding contradictions would be good. :p

20. Jedi-knight-25

Aug 1, 2007
    They might be expanded universe but doesent Lucas approve of it?[face_thinking]

Heere are two pictures of the day! :cool:

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/Anakin_QuiGon.jpg]

[image=http://www.jedi-academy.com/film/kenobi_main.jpg]

21. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    As far as I'm concerned, only the films are included in my personal canon. Games, books, TV shows-- I don't count 'em, mostly because I don't watch, read or play them :p

22. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    He's writing the first season of the Live-Action and seems deeply involved in the development of the Clone Wars. However, he also seems to have been fairly closely involved in the first EU novels(The Thrawn Trilogy) and The Force Unleashed.

My personal canon is the movies and then some of the books and games. I'll probably include all of the new live-action show and the Clone Wars cartoon, barring any huge revelation that I feel contradicts the films.

23. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I know this has no relevance whatsoever, but is anyone else getting wet?

Whew![face_worried]

24. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    :confused: <- That was pretty much my reaction.

25. AnakinLuver

Feb 13, 2006
    If we're implying rain, then... I'M TOO WET!!!!

Rachel Rose@};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.