main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think very many people expected to see Padme duel Anakin. :p Admittedly, I don't know if I still expected that by the time TPM actually came out given that I think I read the RotJ novelization by then (which has Leia see 'images' of her mother smuggling her onto in a trunk. Of course, I suppose I may have thought that she did that before she went off to face Vader.)

Definitely. As much as I'd have liked to see what I was expecting, the way Lucas did it worked so well that I have a hard time imagining what could have been.

Same here.

I wish I could have had that reveal in the way Lucas intended. Instead, it was more "When will the Jedi find out!?"

2. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Lol, I saw the PT first?and backwards at that. Oh, not only that but a friend of mine had gone to see ROTS when it came out and she told me that Anakin turns to save his wife. I knew about Obi-Wan from a Jedi Quest book I read a couple years back in the summer just randomly so not really surprised on their account.
    Lol, honestly, I still can?t believe I didn?t make the connection between Anakin and Vader until after Palpatine calls Ani ?Lord Vader? (I knew about the movie character Vader but only vaguely) and at that point I was going ?oh my gosh but how does he get in that suit thing?? and so when Obi and Ani started fighting I just knew somehow that Ani was gonna lose?I didn?t image in quite like it happened though.

Definitely. As much as I'd have liked to see what I was expecting, the way Lucas did it worked so well that I have a hard time imagining what could have been.

That's what you get for trusting EU too much, Forrest. :p

3. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    honestly though, if i had tried to see the connection between Palps and Sidious, i probably would have but the fact is that i'm a very PRESENT movie watcher. i rarely ever think ahead in what may or may not happen in the movie. and especially since the first time i saw TPM fully was on a CBC special on TV, and then saw AOTC the next weekend or whatever, i was too preoccupied with my NEW ADDICTION to even concentrate on where the story was going. actually i remember consulting this one friend of mine about what the heck was going on with the movies. it confused me so much because i was like "wait, there's these old movies, so what are they?" and then he told me, and i was like "what the heck? that makes no sense" and oh geez...

it all happened so quickly...my obsession i mean. within like two months i had seen all the movies and was pretty much ready to implode with excitement. the SW obsession was the most INTENSE obsession i've ever been through ahha!

4. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I saw the Original Trilogy first then I saw the Prequels.

5. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Lol, I saw the PT first?and backwards at that. Oh, not only that but a friend of mine had gone to see ROTS when it came out and she told me that Anakin turns to save his wife. I knew about Obi-Wan from a Jedi Quest book I read a couple years back in the summer just randomly so not really surprised on their account.
    Lol, honestly, I still can?t believe I didn?t make the connection between Anakin and Vader until after Palpatine calls Ani ?Lord Vader? (I knew about the movie character Vader but only vaguely) and at that point I was going ?oh my gosh but how does he get in that suit thing?? and so when Obi and Ani started fighting I just knew somehow that Ani was gonna lose?I didn?t image in quite like it happened though.

I still can't imagine seeing it that way. I wish there was some way to wipe Star Wars from my mind so I could experience the other viewing orders. :p

That's what you get for trusting EU too much, Forrest.

[face_laugh] I actually hadn't read much EU by that point. :p The only books I had read were the RotJ novelization, the Glove of Darth Vader, and the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology.

I tend to be the same way. I get brief flashes of seeing the bigger picture in moments like Qui-Gon introducing Anakin to Obi-Wan or Obi-Wan saying "Be careful master, we could be stuck here a very long time." However, it didn't really occur to me that Obi-Wan couldn't die in his duel with Maul. I felt the tension of that duel as if it was a new Jedi we'd never seen dueling him. Of course, that's probably in large part due to Qui-Gon's death which took me completely by surprise.

[face_laugh] I'm the same way still. :p I have other things that might qualify as obsessions (I love the series Firefly for instance) but none of them capture my imagination to quite the extent that Star Wars has.

6. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    yah, i have some other obsessions, and i can't really compare them to one another because when i'm watching a Prison Break episode, it literally feels like it can't get any better than that. but of course, i'll be watching one of the LOTR movies and feel the exact same way, so it's really hard to compare. but i do find that no matter what, SW is at the top of my list, and a lot of that has to do with the things that i've learned on this website. seriously, that was one lucky day when i found this website. it's really changed my whole outlook on what an obsession TRULY is :D

my sister can't believe her eyes when she still sees me on this website now. she just doesn't comprehend the fact that SW never gets old. ;) everyone whose seen me log on to here is so perplexed. they just don't understand aha.

7. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I can compare mine but that's largely because Star Wars and Firefly are the only two which seem to have any staying power. :p

8. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I have seen the original Trilogy when I was in Elementary school, I bought the Original Trilogy special Edition VHS when I was in third grade and I was into Star Wars a lot when I was younger. Then I saw Episode 1 and I still liked Star Wars a lot. When I saw Episode 2 I got really into Star Wars a lot more than before and I couldn't wait until Episode 3 came out so much that I read to many spoilers and I wish I did not read those spoilers. :p

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I was incredibly spoiled for AotC but I was spoiler-free for the other two Prequel movies. Well, I was spoiler-free until the line for RotS. Someone in line told me Padme died in the movie.

10. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    I was SO spoiled for RotS[face_laugh]

I snuffed out every spoiler imaginable, and even read the SCRIPT a few days before I saw the movie.

The movie still blew me away at the midnight showing though.[face_love] I was so depressed for like a week after.

I was spoiler free for the other prequels though.

I have to say that SW is the one obsession with fandom that has remained constant in my life. I go in and out of other fandoms, but always come back to this one. There's just so much to the SW universe, I think that helps hold my interest.

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think that the reason Star Wars manages to hold my interest is two-fold. First, it's so archetypal that you can immediately indentify with many of the characters and can read pretty much anything into it. Secondly, there's just so much there. If you're wanting something akin to a Western, you can focus on Han. If you want a more religious/spiritual story you can focus on the Jedi. etc.

12. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I was spoiler-free for episode 1 and 2 but not 3. :p.

I am still interested in Star Wars, but I wish there were more movies.

13. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    I only read spoilers after I've watched the movies.I then make my own assessment,then share my insights with you guys.that way is more fun.;)

14. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It is. :p

I'm also not sure whether or not I want more movies. On the one hand, it would be cool to go through that hype again, but on the other hand we now know the entire story and so we can analyze the entire picture rather than just fragments. I would be interested in seeing 7, 8, and 9 done in the style of the OT (ie: Lucas writes and advises another director) just to see how the older Lucas' style would influence it.

15. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    They don't have to be movies, they could be a TV series. I just want a good live action series. I am just not into the new Clone Wars series although I liked the cartoon version.

16. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    There's going to be a Live-Action series set in the Dark Times following Bounty Hunters and other criminals in the next couple of years.

17. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I hope it's good.

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I hope so, but as someone who is mostly interested in the Jedi I'm not looking forward to it that much.

19. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Bounty Hunters? Eh..I can't say I'm that interested either. Like, Forrest a lot of my interest is in the Jedi...and mabye the Sith as well;)

I would LOVE a live action show about Palpatine's early years.[face_devil]

20. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    That would be interesting, Dee. [face_thinking]

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It could be interesting, but I wonder how interesting it would be given that it would essentially just be training and political intrigue. Of course, writing that out has made me think it would be awesome.

22. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I'm definitely more intrigued by the Jedi. It's a lot easier to be evil.

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It's also less interesting, at least imo.

24. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    wow, really? i find the bad guys about ten times more interesting in every situation. good people are just too predictable :D

but definitely. the Jedi and Sith are the most interesting part of the whole series. bounty hunters? like that's great and all, but...yah. you get my point. :D

well, i was spoiler free for everything. and they only hype that i got to be a part of was the one leading up to ROTS. i seriously can't figure out what planet i was on when the other two movies were coming out...all i can remember is my sister going to see AOTC with her astronomy class (her teacher said they would learn about "stars" but he just wanted to watch the movie :p ). i never even realized how big SW was until i became a fan myself. you enter into a whole new world once you invest this much time in something. :D

25. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I imagine my interest in good guys is in part in reaction to the cultural trend which states that evil is more interesting. I should clarify though, that I find characters who are tempted but ultimately choose to be good to be the most interesting. That's part of why I prefer Luke to Obi-Wan.

I think part of why I think that is because while I find good more interesting than evil, I find evil more interesting than purely self-serving neutrality. :p

You really do. The closest anyone I know who isn't in the fan world is that a girl once jokingly said she'd style her hair like Leia if I took her to the next Star Wars premiere. Of course, that was after RotS had just come out, so I've since lost contact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.