main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    I?m like Crystal, in a way, I?m more interested in the ?bad guys? though I think that?s too simplistic. I guess, what happens is that we usually only have a faintly blurry picture of the antagonists and it?s fun to fill in the blanks. Also, characters that may be ambiguous or ambivalent. Not ?perfect? like Obi-Wan or Luke (I don?t really see how Luke is THAT tempted, Forrest) but maybe not as obviously evil as, say, Palpatine of Voldemort (Harry Potter). I tent to like characters that are knda grey-ish or have grey streaks in them ? like Anakin; other examples include: Dolokhov, Helene and Anatole Kuragin (War And Peace), Lucius and Draco Malfoy, some other Death Eaters (Harry Potter), Bazarov (Fathers And Sons), Paolo (Lizzie McGure), etc. Whether they?re ?good guys? with a tinge of darkness or ?bad guys? with a tinge of light, or that can be expanded on I tend to kinda go for the slightly more in-between characters.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Luke was definitely no where near as tempted as Anakin or other tragic heroes. However, he at the very least has to struggle with his internal evil in addition to the external evil in scenes like the end of RotJ when he has to resist his anger and throw away his saber to do the right thing. Obi-Wan on the other hand doesn't even have that conflict within him. It's part of why he's one of my favorite characters, but I find it less interesting than Luke's struggle. Of course, I suppose Anakin may have replaced Luke on that list if not for him becoming Vader.

3. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Characters who struggle with the dark side are very interesting.

4. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    However, he at the very least has to struggle with his internal evil in addition to the external evil in scenes like the end of RotJ when he has to resist his anger and throw away his saber to do the right thing. Obi-Wan on the other hand doesn't even have that conflict within him.

I don't think Luke has an internal "evil." More like a generally natural range of human emotions -- love, hate, anger, sadness, joy, etc. And these emotions are very specific, as in, not just like an abstract love for all beings like what Obi-Wan and the Jedi supposedly felt but a very specific love -- for his sister, for Han and his other friends/comrades. It seems only natural that if he feels strongly on one side of the spectrum than why not the other? But see, it's very hard with something like universal love to feel on the other side of the spectrum. I mean, what would that be? Universal hate? See the two are mutually exclusive. Which just makes Luke more...IDK...human, I guess, to me than, say, Obi-Wan.

5. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    Obi-wan did struggle a bit with the dark side when Darth Maul killed Qui-gon. Every jedi has too struggle with the dark side not just Anakin or Luke.

6. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It does and that's why I would argue he was tempted. It's certainly not an internal 'evil' on the level of the one that tormented Anakin. However, because he had experienced 'normal' life Luke has attachments in a way that Obi-Wan never did (at least, other than Qui-Gon or Anakin) which give the Dark Side greater sway over him than it has over Yoda or Obi-Wan (though as Icestar noted, Obi-Wan was tempted when Qui-Gon died.) However, by the end of Jedi he manages to relinquish those attachments and trust in the Force (as does Anakin in the end.)

7. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    ^^^

yah. the inner "evil" that is referred to in Luke is not actual evil. it's just the human emotions that Jedi are not supposed to feel. like attachments. those are the dangerous emotions that Jedi have to stay away from so that those emotions don't heighten to an even more extreme level (which is what happened to Anakin).
    hopefully that's what Forrest was refering to :D

yah definitely Alley. and i haven't read the last HP book, so DON'T SAY ANYTHING, but Draco has been one of my favourite characters FROM THE BEGINNING. i don't know...i guess i'm just drawn to those characters from the start.

can't get over this one...i really didn't like Shakespeare at all, and then we read Hamlet...and WOW. my appreciation for the guy went right up. mostly because Hamlet is - honestly - one of the most interesting characters i have ever had the pleasure of reading about. it's cause you can't describe him as good or evil.

8. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    yah definitely Alley. and i haven't read the last HP book, so DON'T SAY ANYTHING, but Draco has been one of my favourite characters FROM THE BEGINNING. i don't know...i guess i'm just drawn to those characters from the start.

The last book is great, Crystal. Somewhat different, I guess you could say, from the previous ones, though. I?ve just finished it. (lol, I never got THAT much into the HP hype until very recently, so I took long breaks between books.) You know?I wish we had a little more on the Death Eaters, and I wish JKR didn?t make their characters so flat. Thank God for fanfic, lol.

can't get over this one...i really didn't like Shakespeare at all, and then we read Hamlet...and WOW. my appreciation for the guy went right up. mostly because Hamlet is - honestly - one of the most interesting characters i have ever had the pleasure of reading about. it's cause you can't describe him as good or evil.

Hmm?we?re gonna start reading Hamlet after finals. I hope it?s better than Oedipus Rex?I didn?t really like it.

9. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    I've read enough Shakespeare (had to in high school and college), and I must say Hamlet was the best. Although I liked Romeo and Juliet and Taming of the Shrew, too.

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, that was what I was referring to. Luke's impulses are no more evil than any normal person's, they simply become incredibly dangerous due to his connection to the Force and the fact that as Ben says "They could be made to serve the Emperor."

I've only read Romeo and Juliet (which I liked parts of but found parts boring, of course I was only 16), but I did a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream in High School and while the scene would have been boring to read, the audience seemed to find it enjoyable performed so I imagine that some of Shakespeare's plays just don't translate well when the spark of life actors provide is removed. I still really want to read Hamlet. :p I know the overall plot and it sounds really interesting.

I loved Oedipus Rex, though I can definitely see why someone wouldn't.

11. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    i haven't read Oedipus Rex but i read Antigone, which is like the next part to it, i guess. it's about Oedipus' daughter.
    but i know the storyline to Oedipus, and i must say...it is quite SOMETHING ahha :D

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It's something alright. :p

13. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    [face_laugh] It's disturbing, that's what it is. I had to write a paper on the damn thing, too.

14. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I had to use it as a basis for writing a story akin to Greek myth and I essentially adapted RotS. :p

15. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Wow, Forrest, I would have never thought to see any connection between ROTS and Oedipus...aside from the Tragic Hero thing. I mean, yea, they both include the concept of darkness vs Light but in ROTS it's more of the two opposing one another rather than co-existing. In ROTS it's more of a Ying Yang thing while in Oedipus it's more of an equilibrium thing. And I have no idea why I?m writing this...lol?

16. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Definitely, and I had to shift around a number of aspects. I'm also pretty sure that I wouldn't look back too fondly on it if I read it now and I think that the only Star Wars related assignment from high school that I'd be somewhat proud of would be the paper I wrote arguing that Luke Skywalker was a greater hero than Odysseus. :p

17. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    lol, Forrest, you would argue something like that.
    We read Odysseus in freshman year...another one I didn't really like. Honestly, I don't seem to be very fond of all this ancient Greak/Roman/etc stuff...

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, I remember that no one was particularly shocked when I told them about the paper. :p It essentially was based upon the concept that Luke's greater capacity for mercy and his selflessness make him better than Odysseus who essentially functions as a murderer when he kills all of the suitors.

And yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Greco-Roman myth. I love the concepts, but I'm more interested in Eastern and Judeo-Christian stories.

19. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    first off, i gotta say that i just love how you Americans actually use the terms "freshman" "sophmore" and etc. we don't use that stuff at all. we actually just have two categories. seniors: grade 11 and 12. juniors: 9 and 10.

second. i know, off topic. but anyone willing to give me an overview of how January 20th looked for them? i know how it was here in Canada, but i'm just curious as to how you guys were experiencing that entire day.

third, i have never written anything Star Wars related for English, mostly because it would be so typical me. everyone would just take it as a joke, including my teacher, so i decide to stay off that road ahah. just for grades sake.

although there are probably a million topic ideas i could cover with SW. :D

20. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I remember writing something about Star Wars in my 12th grade English class, but it was just a little though.

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I wish we only had two. It makes so much more sense. :p

I woke up at about 6 Pacific and went to a small movie theater which was airing CNN's feed of the Inauguration. I mean, given where I live the crowd was fairly liberal so Obama received a standing ovation and people hissed and booed when Bush or Cheney were on-screen. :p

I was essentially the school Star Wars geek (given that I took days off from school to go to Celebration III and waited in line all day to see the midnight showing of RotS :p), so no one was shocked in the slightest that I tied a couple of things to it. Luckily, my English teacher knew about Joseph Campbell and taught the Odyssey via the Hero's Journey, so she was able to appreciate where I was coming from and gave me an A.

22. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Lucky you, MS. If I'd have tried that I certainly wouldn't have received an A. :p

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    [face_laugh], yeah I don't think it would have worked that well with most teachers. :p

24. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Hi, just checking in. It seems I'm in the land of the lost here...

25. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm still here, I just didn't want to double post. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.