main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Theres still at least one more episode in season 1, and I think two - certainly the conclusion to the Ryloth trilogy, and I believe one move after that. Still plenty to talk about!

2. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Sorry to hear that, Ice. Bye.

3. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I might not be gone forever, I might just be gone a while. I might come back if this place get's a bit more active. This forum is pretty much the most unactive forums I go on. If it becomes a bit more active then I might come back.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Sorry to see you go Ice. [face_peace]

As I remember, SotE Vader is more like ESB Vader in that he's plotting to overthrow the Emperor rather than broken to his will as he is in Jedi,

I think you're probably right on both counts.

I do think the comics did a better job with Anakin and Obi-Wan. They managed to do a decent job of balancing Anakin's darkness with his heroism while The Clone Wars has thus far had too much of the latter and not enough of the former. I'd also agree that Obi-Wan is probably a little too jokey, but I guess they figure they need more humor to keep it light and Obi-Wan fits that role better than Anakin (though, if that's what they wanted setting it in the Rebellion-era would have made more sense given that Han would fit it almost perfectly. :p)

Well, now I want to see The Clone Wars use "Guy Love" from Scrubs.

5. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    OMG, that's hillarious! [face_laugh]

6. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Hey everyone! Haven't been aroud for a while -- too much going on in RL this year I guess.

I'm turning into one of those fans I despise,

Hey!

and I'm going to say my personal SW canon ended in 2005.

Yea, I regard the movies as the only true canon. I mean, I pick and chose things from EU for the sake of fanfic but otherwise ? movies are the only forma canon as far as I?m concerned.

I just kind of ignore Ahsoka and just tell myself that Anakin would've been perfectly happy to fight side-by-side with Obi-Wan for the duration of the Clone Wars and remind myself that Anakin didn't want a Padawan in the first place.

Yea, I have a tendency to ignore her as well, sort of. Even though the cartoon is very IC where Anakin is concerned, Ahsoka sort of?I don?t know, I think they handle her in too much of a Mary Su-ish way, if tha makes any sense.
    I don?t think Anakin wouldn?t want a padawan but I think he would wait until after the way because training a padawan at such a time would ether be extremely disadvantageous to the padawan or it would take him off the battle field for most of the time, which there?s no way he?s fall for.

The padawan would also be close to Anakin's age (male or female, it doesn't matter), so they could butt heads. Even if said padawan made it to Knighthood it would sitll fit the story because Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master in RotS anyway.

In a way you?re right, Dee, and yet that doesn?t sit well with me somehow ether. Maybe I?m just overly protective of ?The Team? image or just highly idealistic but I have a feeling that Obi-Wan havin a padawan would somehow shift the Anakin/Obi-Wan dynamic. Like?not steal from their closeness exactly but I like the idea that ? within the Jedi Order ? they only have each other. There?s no one breaching the lines of the Kenobi-Skywalker relationship. If Obi-Wan had another padawan it would be like a parent with two children ? ideally, they are loved equally. But as we?ve seen it prior to this, the have a complete duo with one one?s interference. There?s no third party. Also, you guys have mentioned that Obi having another padawan would make Ani jealous. I almost wonder if having a more ?Jedi-like? padawan would make a change somehow in the relationship from the side of well?Obi-Wan would suddenly have an apprentice who acted the ?right way? ? respectful, calm, patient, willing to follow orders, less impulsive and cheeky? Would Kenobi not idealize such a padawan? And wouldn?t that put an even bigger tift between the boys? Eh?it?s kind of a hard concept to put into words.

like the scene on Geonosis in the arena.

"...then we decided to come and rescue you."
    "Good job!"

I?ll withhold the rant ? but that ?joke? didn?t sound like one and it was highly inappropriate in the situation, IMO.

It seems generic and boring on the show

Have you noticed that as a whole theshow is a lot flatter than the movies and most of the ?adult? AU? It?s a fun way to spend half an hour on a Friday night but in general the story lines are very?not so much as flat as just sort of moralistically aimed. I think the reason is that b/c the intended audience is mainly children and pre-teens the depth is forgone for very obvious moral teachings of wht is?righ? and ?good.? Even the CW movie DVD has a special feature in which they talk about how the into blue line sets a ?tone? for the episode. And if you pay attention to what the line actually says you figure out that it?s kind of a summary of the ?moral lesson? for the episode ? incase you don?t get it.

Well they certainly do fall into this category

I love that Scrubs song!

7. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    hey! i've seen a trailer of Fanboy on HBO here.looks funny,lots of Star Wars reference.Carrie Fisher will be in it.William Shatner too(a representative from Star Trek).I should check it out.

8. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
  9. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    I'm still wondering what St.Patrick have to do with beer,unless he fed it to the snakes.

10. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
  11. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    hey,I made a funny.[face_laugh]

12. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Hello? (just to up this so it isn't buried. It was a good thread...)

13. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    hey everyone! looks like there was SOME activity while i was gone! i was gone to France and Spain for a while - yipee! :D

i have always - ALWAYS - regarded the movies as the only true canon. i usually just disregard someone's argument if they use another source. i mean, sure, it might be true, but i like it better when people use the movies to prove their opinions right...it's much more realistic that way - for me, anyway :D

i watched like one episode of the cartoon, and i was put off like immediately. i just couldn't stand it. maybe it's cause i was really sad that SW was over, and i just didn't wanna see a "fake" SW...haha. but yah...Ahsoka is just...ug. 'nuff said. :D

anyway, welcome to everyone that's new to the thread! we're very glad you're here. :D

14. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Maybe you need a fresh voice to bring back some activity here :).

I like the CW, but if there's something in there that will contradict the films, I will always use the films as reference. Although I think they're doing a great job of fitting the series in with the films.

Anyways, I haven't seen all the episodes yet, because we're a bit behind here, but I'm really hoping to see some more of the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. In AotC, we see them as father and son and in RotS, their relationship has evolved into brothers and I want to see how that happens. That would really bring some more depth to Ben Kenobi's line "And he was a good friend".

15. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Ha, that's so like you Crystal!
    Why were you in France/Spain? Vacation trip? School?

And as per Lexi's comment -- I think Obi/Ani have been majorly disregarded in the fist season and I think the addition of Ahsoka was done at their expence which...doesn't make me too happy lets just say.

16. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Heh, that's about as nice as I can put it. ;)

What TCW has shown of Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship I've really enjoyed. Then, I start getting bitter when I think of all the cool missions during season one Anakin could've had with Obi-Wan instead of Ahsoka and I get all annoyed. [face_laugh]

Seeing Anakin and Obi-Wan work together in Blue Shadow Virus/Mystery of a Thousand Moons was a season highlight for me, as was Trespass. They just compliment each other so well. I'd love to see more of that. It's basically the only reason I watch the show. If Obi-Wan or Anakin isn't in an episode or Anakin is running around with Ahsoka, I don't watch. [face_not_talking]

17. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    It's really too bad that they're not taking more advantage of CW in that regard. Here they have the perfect opportunity of showing more of the Ani/Obi relationship and they're not using it :(. But maybe I shouldn't say too much, we don't know what will happen later on the the series.

18. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Nice to see you here Lexi!

I'm with Avada_Kenobi on this one, as in the fact that I only watched the show for two specific reasons and when I didn't get those reasons I got bored.

TBH, I didn't even watch the last 3 or 4 episodes of the show. Just didn't care anymore. The fact that it's a kid's show has caused them to skip character development and focus only on the plot and that bothers me (I also think it's an insult to children everywhere that they wouldn't be interested in that kind of thing, but that's another story).

There's also other things. Like Padme always being in a state of danger, and that being the only point to her plot. GAG me. It really bothers me that young girls are watching THAT. We may be told that Padme is a strong female, but she's always needing a man to save her, and while some swoon at the big man saving the day, I cringe and gag. In fact, it makes me dislike Anakin as well, because it puts him into a role I don't like. Nothing wrong with wanting to save your wife, but it just highlights Anakin's sick obsession with her at the expense of everyone else that cares about him, that he basically showed that he didn't even give a damn about his own padawan, or rather she was a mere afterthought. He pulls the same crap in Episode 3 and it just makes me sick about his character.

And Ahsoka, ah, I've said too much on her already. Just die troll, die!

I don't think I'll watch season 2, especially after I read the atrocity of the season finale and Anakin being too weak to take out droids or some crap like that. UGH.

I'm just going to spend the rest of the summer erasing CW from my mind, and pretend I haven't turned into a SW fan that I despise, aka fans that bash Lucas for everything, such as raping their sacred childhoods, and even global warming.

19. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I haven't searched for Anakin/Obi-Wan videos at Youtube for a long time, but I suddenly was in the mood for it again.

Anyway, I thought I would share one of my favourites with you :).

I don't hate you

20. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Hooray! and I thought no one on this thread any longer.it will be such a tragedy to lose this thread.let's keep it alive.

I agree that the movies are canon,but I read certain EU,like X-wing,and anything that has Obiwan and Anakin/Vader.

21. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    yah i was on a school trip Alley :D it was awesome.

you know...i've never really had a problem with missing out on how Ani and Obi became brothers...i guess i've just appreciated the fact that it acually happened :D but now that i think about it more and more, it is quite a big part of the series that was left out. obviously we know WHY they became such good friends - fighting in the clone wars - but everytime i hear Anakin in the beginning of ROTS talking about how he saved Obi's life and such...it does kind of hurt that i'll never actually get to see it with THOSE TWO. Hayden and Ewan i mean. that would have been absolutely amazing...

man...thinking about how it's over makes me so depressed. like i have a PHYSICAL reaction of uneasiness when i think about it :(

22. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Yes, alive this thread must stay.

Nice vid, Lexi!

and I do wish often for more of those missing years in a LIVE action form with Ewan and Hayden. Ah what could be...

23. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    I completely agree. Ewan and Hayden had a very good chemistry with each other that I think was pretty obvious even when Anakin and Obi-Wan were all catty with each other in AotC. And they certainly didn't spend enough time together being bros in RotS.

I really like Anakin and Obi-Wan as far as the characters are concerned, and while I like Matt Lanter and James Arnold Taylor's characterization of them on TCW, no one can play them as a pair like Hayden and Ewan did. Hayden's facial reactions to Ewan's delivery was always just wonderful to see. The scene in RotS when Anakin is defending Artoo to Obi-Wan and tells him, "No loose wire jokes" puts a smile on my face every time. :)

*sigh* Me and my essays when I respond. I'm long winded at times; I'm sorry. :)

24. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Ah yes, we need more scenes between them like the "no loose wire jokes" bit. I guess that is what I miss most in the CW series. Instead we get "Snips" and "Skyguy" doing what Obi and Ani should be doing. [face_frustrated] All in all I'm not thrilled with the padawan idea for Anakin. I'm slowly getting used to her, but...

To me, the writers just don't get the interplay between Obi-Wan and Anakin quite right. The banter is unnatural at times and seems "forced", to use a pun.

25. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    The fact that it's a kid's show has caused them to skip character development and focus only on the plot and that bothers me (I also think it's an insult to children everywhere that they wouldn't be interested in that kind of thing, but that's another story).

Well, tbh, they have to realize that a large bulk of their audience are gonna be boys ages 6-9. My brother is 7 going on 8 and he?s a fairly smart kid but I think that any subtle, well done, character development would just go over his head. He?d notice it after a while but I doubt he?d be able to appreciate it the way an old3er audience would. There?s a reason why children?s stories have simplistic plot lines.

Like Padme always being in a state of danger, and that being the only point to her plot. GAG me. It really bothers me that young girls are watching THAT.

Don?t forget though, that Ahsoka (as much as we all dislike her intrusion) and other female Jedi (Luminara and Adi I think we saw) were also portrayed as the ?feminist? role model in the show. Sorry, Dee, but I don?t think there?s an anti-feminist strand in this show.

and while some swoon at the big man saving the day, I cringe and gag.

It doesn?t make me swoon, but I like the idea of a strong male hero. And I don?t see anything wrong with that. Since when is a male hero a bad thing?

Nothing wrong with wanting to save your wife, but it just highlights Anakin's sick obsession with her at the expense of everyone else that cares about him, that he basically showed that he didn't even give a damn about his own padawan, or rather she was a mere afterthought.

Wait, ok, which episode are we talking about here?

everytime i hear Anakin in the beginning of ROTS talking about how he saved Obi's life and such...it does kind of hurt that i'll never actually get to see it with THOSE TWO. Hayden and Ewan i mean. that would have been absolutely amazing...

Tell me about it, Crystal! Lucas really needed to do two more movies (1.5 and 2.5 :D ) Someone?s gotta get it through his head that he?s SO not done yet, lol.

The scene in RotS when Anakin is defending Artoo to Obi-Wan and tells him, "No loose wire jokes" puts a smile on my face every time

?Hey, no loose wire jokes.?
    ?Did I say anything??
    ?He?s trying.?
    ?I didn?t say anything!?

[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.