main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I don't mind that and it doesn't just apply to Padmé. It just goes to show what Anakin's character is all about, not being able to let people go, which ultimately leads to his downfall. He is the same with all the people (and droids) close to him. Remember in Downfall of a droid, when Anakin goes to rescue Artoo, despite being told not to and even in RotS when he rescues Obi-Wan even though Palpatine tells him to leave him. These are just a few examples and I'm sure that if Ashoka would be in danger, he would risk anything to save her as well.

2. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    there is a rumor floating around that Zac Efron will play Luke Skywalker in the live series.would you agree? there's always Nathan Hamill,who's a deadringer for his dad,Mark.

3. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I wouldn't really call it a rumour. Efron visited the Skywalker Ranch, and when he learned that they are doing a live action series, he claimed that he wanted to play a young Luke Skywalker.

Well, Efron can't be a huge fan of SW, because in that case, he would know that Luke won't be portrayed in the new series. And a young Luke Skywalker? Doesn't he realise that he's about the same age as Luke in ANH already?

I think it's fun that he wants to be in the new series, but I honestly think that was just something he said at the spur of the moment, surrounded by all the SW props and memorabilia at the ranch.

4. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    really Dee? you hate Anakin in ROTS for his whole obsession with Padme?
    well...actually, i guess it is something normal people would hate ahha...it really was boderline unhealthy.

but yah...Padme's character was really disappointing in ROTS. just in the end actually...i really didn't think she would die that kind of a death...i don't know...i kind of wish she got killed or something - and not necessarily by Anakin.

yah i'm really glad i didn't watch the clone wars...doesn't sound too fun to me haha :D

5. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Well, I'm not to fond of his obsessions either. If I had a hubby like that, I'd ditch him - like real quick. (not that I'd ever have one like that in the first place, but that's another matter...)

6. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Oh God...I'm glad Efron won't be able to fufill this 'desire" of his.
    No offence to his fans but he has the same effect on me as Miley Cyris and Hilary Duff [face_frustrated] [face_sick] Atleast untill he proves that he can do well in a movie more mature than High School Musical.

7. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Hey everyone, I have decided to come back! [face_peace]

Is anyone here actually looking forward to the next Star Wars TV series? You know, the live action one? I am not sure what to think about it. As for the Clone Wars, I have seen an episode of it, and honestly I did not really like it, I found it kind of boring. I liked the other Clone Wars series, you know, the cartoon version.

8. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    I,for one,am waiting for details as to when and where it will be shown.from what I heard,Boba Fett will be featured first,and Daniel Logan will play him just as he did in AOTC. I would love to see Rogue Squadron featued as well.

9. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I also heard about Boba Fett.

10. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Hey, Ice, good to see ya back.

11. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Hi,Ice! Hey,guys,any word from HK? seems like some of the old dezinens here are making a comeback.

12. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    Thanks! :D

I have not seen HK for a while. :(

13. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    seems i misspelled denizen as dezinen.:oops: oh,well.

14. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Up? Looking for posters?

15. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Hey, I'm around :) Long time no post. Haven't really had anything much to say, I guess...

16. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    hey guys...i think our only hope to preserve this thread for as long as possible is good discussion topics haha. :D

well here's one...who do you like better? Anakin or Obi-Wan?

17. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Oh, I would agree. Discussion topics = good.

As for which I like better, well... I think that would depend on what you meant by 'like', and which version. I'll explain. :p

If like is meant as, which do you think is a better person, I would definitely have to say Obi-Wan. Obviously, he doesn't have the kind of gaping character flaws Anakin does, but he's also a more studied and intellectual person who understands that things aren't always what they seem. And in his own way he is almost as insanely devoted to what he gives himself over to as Anakin, just differently. Devoted to the Jedi Order, the principles it stands for and his 'family' in it - Qui-Gon, Yoda, Anakin and his family. It's been shown that he'll do almost anything when it comes to this: spend lonely years on Tatooine keeping an eye on Luke, come to Leia's rescue, fight a Sith Lord. Leave his best friend and 'brother' to die because he betrayed the order and all it stands for. I think that's an important point - Almost anything else, I think Obi-Wan could have found a way to forgive him for. And he still doesn't want to fight Anakin, he begs Yoda not to send him. But betray the Order and all its ideals, THREATEN and KILL the Order, condemn the people of the Galaxy they're supposed to protect to the whims of a cruel dictator. That Obi-Wan can't and won't forgive. Even in himself, if he blames himself for any part (which I think he must- sencond thoughts about his actions on Mustafar, etc).

If as a character, they come out a little more even. I like the idea of Obi-Wan as a kind of melancholy character a-la episode iV remembering the old days and still thinking about what he should have done differently. Knowing both Anakin and Vader and keeping that secret locked in his own heart for so long. Mostly, wanting to redeem himself some way. But I also like the character idea through AnaVader of exploring how a person can be both so good and so bad, how obsession and greed can turn a well-intentioned person into the worst and how a spark of recognition, acceptance and love can turn that person to do something good again. There's just still no bigger thrill than hearing 'Luke, *I* am your father', and the prequels just amplify it by giving it context so it has even more weight. Hearing it not just through Luke's eyes, but through Vader's. I can hear Anakin there, and it's heartbreaking.

18. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Does my username give it away? ;)

I like Obi-Wan more, but that mainly grew out of my love of Ewan McGregor. It's difficult to explain, but I'll try.

See, Ewan McGregor is my favorite actor and has been since Trainspotting came out back in 1996. I've seen every film he's been in more than once. Though I've always liked Star Wars, I paid more attention to the prequels when I knew Ewan was going to be in them. I started liking Obi-Wan because of Ewan, but now that I've watched the prequels and I've watched both TCW and the Tartakovsky cartoon that Ewan wasn't involved in and I've completely fell in love with Star Wars as a whole, I can say that Obi-Wan, as a character, is very appealing to me and he's my favorite character in the prequels, hands down. Long story short, I used to like Obi-Wan because of Ewan, but I've grown to like Obi-Wan because of his character. Does that make sense? :) Now, I suppose it's fair to say that the cartoons tend to use Ewan's mannerisms and facial expressions as an inspiration for the Obi-Wan character--which he, in turn, was inspired by the great Alec Guinness--but the non-Ewan Obi is still cool to me. I tend to like those quiet but kick-butt kind of guys and that's exactly how I picture Obi-Wan.

I have a bit of a reversal with Anakin. I liked the character and because I liked the character, I grew to love Hayden Christensen. Now, if I want to watch someone burst into the scene lightsaber blazing ready to kick butt and take names, then I'm going with Anakin...or Han Solo. Whichever trilogy I'm watching. ;)

19. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Wow, talk about putting us on the spot.... :D

Anyway, I personally am obviously an Obi fan because I like his qualities and my David is somewhat like him in that regard. BUT I also like the depth of Anakin's character with relation to how he turned from being a Jedi to a Sith. He is a remarkably complex character in a way that Obi-Wan is more straight forward. You just KNOW what line Obi-Wan is going to fall into while to me Anakin is a big puzzle and harder to figure out what is going on in his head.

So for me, I like the dynamic of the TWO characters TOGETHER the best. You need both to make the PT work. Without that, there is no confict, no intriguing story, no interest for me. Obi-Wan and Anakin make the PT zing. The PT is the meat of how things came to be the way they were.

And like what AvadaKenobi above, Ewan is one of my favorite actors and I never miss anything with him in it. (BTW Angels and Demons is great! What a shocking ending...):)

20. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Hello there!:D I found this thread and thought: why don't you join in? Looks like fun:p

So, I definitely like Obi-Wan better, he's just a great guy.;)
    And of course Ewan Mcgregor is a great (and handsome[face_whistling] ) actor.
    I really liked Angels&Demons, too...though the ending was surprising.

21. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    *gives Crysral a look*
    What are you trying to start here? Lol.

Anakin.

Hands down, no questions asked, Anakin.

I?ll try to be brief to avoid writing pages and pages on the subject so then?

(Disclaimer: the following is all IMO)

Strictly as a fiction character and the interest that characters ? invented personas ? must inspire, Anakin is just more interesting and vivid. I like the depth and complexity of his character. I like the fact that he?s not ?perfect? in a cloying Mary Su-ish way as Obi-Wan is. Also, I like the tragic hero type more than the classic hero. I empathize with them more. Anakin?s faults are what make him interesting and real. Playing on the safe side is always a lot more boring, there is no adrenaline, no risk. When everything is linear and pre-decided by some code ? in Obi-Wan?s case the Jedi Code ? there is no room for maneuvering. There is no try. There is no thinking for yourself. There is always some benchmark that must be met one way or another. Anakin?s flaws and abilities to bend and think beyond the rules make him more pliable more intriguing. Most happy endings and families are happy in much the same way. Everything there is up to the standard, by the rules. No room for exploration. When you cross the line into tragedy ? those sad endings that Hollywood banishes and classic literature is full of ? there is room for thought, consideration, exploration. There are many ways that suffering and irregularity may be presented. Just like you can?t have a good story without a conflict, you can?t have a good character without a conflict, without those thought provoking faults. All this leads into one thing really: as a character ? a persona ? Obi-Wan is boring and frustrating to me.

Now, looking at the too of them as people?

One of the things I admire the most in people is loyalty. Not duty but loyalty. Loyalty to individual people. Also, duty has the ring of obligation to it. Loyalty comes from the heart, from free will. There is no obligation in loyalty other than that that the person feels. Anakin isn?t loyal to Padme or Obi-Wan because he has to be. He is loyal to them because he wants to be, because he loves them. Obi-Wan, on the other hand, is dutiful. He has a duty to the Jedi Order. A duty to follow their principles. Duty is his defining word for at least the simple reason that it is the central ideal of the Jedi Order that he serves. Duty above all. Duty to principles not loyalty to people.
    On the subject of love I must say I believe Anakin?s love more that Obi-Wan?s ?love.? Universal love is week, t is week because it is so defuse. You can?t love everyone. What is love without loyalty? And how can you be loyal to everyone at once? There must be aside, a person or group of people. Universal Love is nebulous. It is a concept, not in any way concrete. However, when you love a specific person or group of people ? like Anakin does ? that love is concentrated. It has a specific target, it can be acted on. This sort of love inspires intense feeling, loyalty. It is the sort of love that can ?conquer all? because it is so intense, so full of motive. It?s a hard concept to explain if you don?t understand it?I?m not quite sure if I?m making sense because it is hard to put these sort of things into words.
    To take this down to more concrete situations in the movie?the whole Obi-Wan/Anakin dynamic has given me reason to dislike Obi-Wan. He comes off as snobbish and at times just heartless. This is a slightly different topic and it?s a huge one with me. For those who have discussed this with me earlier in the thread (this and previous one) I?m thinking Obi-Wan?s attitude in EPI, the ?Dreams pass in time? line, Mustafar (Jed over Anakin) and other things among those. If you have no idea what I?m talking about, I?ll explain later but I just don?t have time right now?

22. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Hey, Alley!

I'm don't think I disagree with what you say, I just see it in a different way... I'll try to explain.

I don't see Obi-Wan as perfect so much as trying to live up to perfection. Despite his very Jedi-like exterior, he can't hide his human emotions completely, which I find very endearing. Deny them as he will, they will out. Going Dark-Side when Qui-Gon was dying to destroy Maul, jealously at first toward Anakin, his feelings for Siri Tachi, pretty much eventually considering Anakin and his family like his own. Oh, he cares, I think, but he knows what comes of human attachment - favoring one person/group over another when you logically shouldn't. It's all a game of corrupt politics, which he struggles against. And he's right, but wrong in the specifics and I think he knows it. Anakin isn't completely gone into Vader - it's just that he thinks so differently from Obi-Wan that poor Obi-Wan can't figure out a way to pull the right strings and make Vader back into Anakin. I don't think Obi-Wan allows himself to realize how hurt he is, personally, by Anakin's betrayal, either.

I love characters with internal conflicts (I don't think Ani/Vader is so much - he always thinks he's doing the right thing. At the time, at least. Afterwards, he seems to realize what he's done but doesn't correct it. He hurts, but not generally in any productive way. I think Obi-Wan second guesses himself more), and I love the struggle between wanting to do what's logically right and one's own innate human impulses. Of course, I'm a Spock fangirl, too - insanely intelligent, and so bent on being logical he denies the meaning of his being half-human. He cares, but he'd never admit it, which I think is what gets under Bone's collar so darn well. If he actually had no feelings, the two of them would never have gotten into the rivalry they did.

23. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Obiwan,of course.I don't need to say why,you guys covered all the bases.

welcome back,ShrunkenJedi![:D]

24. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Hi there yourself, Rogue! [face_peace]

25. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Okay, as others have mentioned, this is strictly my opinion: All I can say is when love and loyalty are taken too far (to excess or a fault), and this affects someone else or others extremely negatively and in a very bad way, this to me is not good. It is harmful not only to the person who loves to that extent, but can do unimaginable harm (as is shown in SW with the fate of a whole galaxy none the less) then it has gone too far. (Gosh I hope that made some sense...)

Ah, Crystal, another Trekker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.