main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Talking to me, since I was the one who brought up Spock? I'm not Crystal, I'm Val-- but don't worry about it, I can't keep names straight either. Except I know yours is your username spelled backwards, Deb. Around the JC I usually just go by Shrunken. If you didn't mean me, welll... sorry. :p

I'm not really a Trekker in a fangirl sense (haven't seen all the episodes, for one), but I do enjoy it a lot. I think the original series and Next Gen have a lot of very intelligent sci-fi moments. I wrote part of my big end-of-college project on it, in fact, but that was one part I had to really research because I wasn't a real Trek aficionado.

...the short bit I had about Star Wars I could have done in my sleep. And to think about it, probably did. :p

2. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    I used to watch the classic Star Trek series with my late sister.she is the Trekker.but she enjoyed ROTS.

3. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    :eek: Sorry about the screw-up, Shrunken. Yeah, I meant you. My bad. [face_blush] Please ignore my sometimes user mix-ups. There are just so many of them... LOL I will try to do better in the future. [face_peace]

4. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Don't worry about it. Like I said, I have a terrible memory for names myself, trust me I understand. :p

5. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Ummm.... folks still around? Didn't mean to scare anybody off.

6. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Just been feeling kinda embarrassed... [face_blush] but, yeah, I check in here now and then.

7. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm not into Star Trek, so I can't comment on any of that. :p

I know this topic was brought up a while ago, but I just wanted to chime in and add that between Anakin and Obi-Wan, Anakin is my favorite character. He's a deeply flawed human being...much like two of my other favorite characters in other fandoms (Dr. Gregory House and Homer J. Simpson - the three of whom, including Anakin, are hereafter known as AHH). He's loyal to and cares deeply about the people close to him, albeit not always in a healthy way...another common trait to AHH. Yet, ultimately, he does what's right (as do they all at one point or another). While I am generally a cynical person, I also have an optimistic hope that we (the human race) are basically decent people who will eventually get things right. So yeah...I like Anakin because, to me, he represents humanity with all the complexity and flaws and screw-ups and goodness that entails.

Not to say that Obi-Wan isn't flawed and human and everything, too...he is. But I think, to me, Anakin and the other characters I mentioned just embody those qualities more? And it doesn't hurt that they make me laugh and aren't bad to look at (yes, I do include Homer in that).

And it's still early here for me, so apologies if all that rambling makes no sense. :p

8. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    That's just it...to me Obi-Wan does have flaws and feelings that draw me to try to understand the way he thinks and believes - and as I mentioned, Anakin is fascinating in his complexity, and he does have a monumental decision to make with conflict inside, etc., so I can most def see what brings fans to each. (and I better leave the hotness factor out, as that isn't story-character related and another thing) :)

9. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Well, while they're great as a team, they're also both great characters in their own right-- we may each prefer one over the other, but I doubt we'll come to any sort of consensus except as regards facts. But that won't stop us trying, will it? :p

BTW, I really like House too, oddly enough given his abrasive personality - he may be extremely cranky, but sometimes I think it's his way of keeping others from feeling sorry for him. He probably wouldn't take kindly to that. It's also his way of getting in and efficiently doing what needs to be done without the formal niceties that would keep him from doing it until too late, which I can respect. It shows that (despite outward appearances) he does care, and cares more about people's welfare than social or even legal niceties. :p

10. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    haha, Alley. what am I trying to start? i had a feeling everyone here could keep it civil, so i wasn't afraid to ask the question. :D

yah Deb, i was like...um...what do you mean am i a Trekker? ahaha. i was so confused for a second.
    i'm Crystal by the way...for anyone that doesn't know...or forgot ;) haha. i'm only kidding.

yah...i was getting worried for a second...Obi was getting way too many votes, but not to worry, I AM HERE ahah.

i think everyone basically covered it. nothing i haven't said before.
    I love characters that you can't understand right away. i love characters that even after analyzing them for years, you STILL can't understand. it draws me in, it frustrates me, my life starts to revolve around them and their story...and i love that feeling. so kudos to George for making such a character out of Anakin. and kudos to Hayden for being so damn hot. ;)

so yah...haha. i didn't even know Angels and Demons was out already ahha. i wasn't too excited about it before, but when i heard Ewan was in it, i actually got really excited so hopefully i get to see it soon.

oh funny thing, "higher ground" was on today and i watched it, and i actually got REALLY into it...like a lot. i'm starting to really like it even though i've tried watching it before. Hayden does a really good job in it actually.

11. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Hey there. :)

Higher Ground? I know I'm not entirely up on my movies as of late...

12. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    He'd make a great Anakin Solo, though...

13. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    haha. no Higher Ground is the TV series that Hayden did a while ago, Val. it never got that much buzz so its no wonder you don't know about it :D

and yah...i personally would just suggest to stay away from the whole Zac Efron-and-SW-coming-together-as-one idea haha. i don't know, that's just my take on it. he just doesn't fit for me, and i know i would personally be turned off if he was ever playing any sort of character in SW. i like him and all...but not in the SW world :D

14. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Ah, that would indeed explain it, A_L

As for any extra people or other stuff in Star Wars... well, I already pick and choose what goes into my personal canon besides the two trilogies (and even there there are occasionally some things I prefer to forget!), so I don't think it would change anything for me no matter how bad stuff is. I'll just pretend it didn't happen. :p

...Of course, I'm sure if the characters had any say, they'd ask me to forget that Anakin ever went over to the Dark Side, but it doesn't work that way. I rather like dark plot, and I can't possibly erase the OT. Okay, maybe forget elements of how he slid Dark, but that's all. :p

15. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    *waves* hey guys

Can any of you come up with an adjective/some discription-able word for Anakin that starts with the letter "Q"?

16. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    How about Quaint?

17. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    quintesential??? quipster??? qualifier??? I dunno... he's sure not quiet. LOL

18. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Hah. I say Quixotic (or questing), Quibbler, or Quagmire. :p

19. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Haha, yea, Deb, he's most certainly not quiet.

Ohhh! Shrunken! I like "quixotic." Thanks :D

20. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Oh, thanks, Alley. :D

Let's see if I find an interesting question we haven't already done to death, folks... What do you see happening to the team if Anakin hadn't gone to the Dark Side? The kids had still been born, Padme lives, and... well, that's the question. I suppose there are two potential angles, whether Palpatine could have taken control without Anakin's help or whether he is taken down.

Personally, with Palpatine seizing control and Anakin on the Light, I see the boys as closer than ever: they have a common enemy to fight, and I can't see what Jedi remain after Rule 66 (if it happens) *not* bending certain rules for Anakin. They're not in a position to be picky. Luke and Leia grow up with 'Uncle Obi-Wan' a regular fixture of the household, which may well be in exile.

On the other hand, I think if Palpatine is taken down it's a little more dicey. The two might be close colleagues, but either drift apart as their lives separate and they take different missions, or are separated if the Jedi are harsh on Anakin and he is no longer accepted within the order. Which I don't think would happen if Anakin himself were to take down Palpatine, but I don't know- I'd think they might give him a little more leeway there. And it would also be affected by how much of a defender - or detractor- of Anakin's actions Obi-Wan is.

21. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    what does "quixotic" mean? haha!

yah...its so hard for me to imagine anything else happening besides what we saw in the movies...either way though...i definitely think SOMETHING confrontational between Anakin and the Jedi would have happened because things were just not headed in the right direction...

and when that took place...Obi would have sided with the Jedi and Anakin would have felt betrayed and well, i do think they would have drifted...but it all depends on how Anakin would have chosen to deal with it...

very iffy.

22. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Quixotic: a propensity to become fixed on a thing or idea on the spur of the moment; quirky; referring to Don Quixote de la Mancha, the subject of the great Spanish novel where he (Quixote) decides he'll be a gallant knight on a quest well after this sort of life has ceased to have any basis in reality, after a little too much old-time literature gets into his head. Also see: tilting at windmills (another Quixote reference).

:p

And I tend to agree with you, that it depends on how Anakin handles the situation... whether he extends a proverbial olive branch or not.

23. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    no one is in here but i thought i would bump it up anyway and also mention a thank you to Shrunken for the definition :D :D

24. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    You're welcome :D

*hums idly *Ani roasting on a Musta-fire... Obi sunburning his nose...*

*bump*

25. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.