main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Father and a Son (Started with Perfect) (Xanatos,Granta vignettes, updated with Brat 11/11)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Neon Star, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Name: Perfect
    Section: Before Saga
    Genre: mild AU, fluff
    Characters: Xanatos, Granta
    Summery: Just a slight fluffy moment between father and son.

This was hiding in with the rest of the vignettes concerning Granta that I have yet to post that I wrote a while back. Considering there are about four or five others in there, I might go ahead and post them all in this thread later on. As for now, this is just a slightly cute moment in time, and I hope you enjoy it. :)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Perfect

Granta smiled a little as Xanatos absently ran an affectionate hand through his hair. Looking up as that long fingered hand drew away, he watched as Xanatos continued to work without breaking his concentration, reading over and signing paper after paper that dealt with the ruling of Offworld.

It was a busy day like always. Yet, unlike usual, Xanatos had allowed his eleven year old son to come with him to work. That rarely happened, and Granta, despite feeling a vague sickness coming on, had quickly jumped at the chance.

He rarely saw his father, due to the other things that ruled Xanatos?s time, so any time he could spend with him was a blessing.

At some point during the day, Xanatos had picked up on his mild sickness. Granta still didn?t know how he had, since Granta knew his father couldn?t possibly have felt it. After all, it wasn?t as if Xanatos could sense it, considering his son lived in an odd, natural anti-Force bubble, which prevented the Force from reaching in or out.

Xanatos never told him that he had been watching him, even when he was seemingly devoted to his mundane tasks. He didn?t tell him his face seemed too flushed, and his eyes were a little dull. Those were the signs that Xanatos had picked up, and though he rarely acted like a father, he had instinctively known his child was sick. Much like how Qui-gon always picked up when he was sick, despite his best shielding.

Xanatos had ordered Granta to rest on the couch in his office. The child had complied, at first, never wishing to disobey his father. But as he had lain there, the discomfort that had been only mild that morning, had grown. He became too hot, then too cold, and he was constantly restless.

That had led him to getting up off the couch, and wandering to his father?s side. He had stood there watching for a while, and Xanatos seemingly ignored him as he did so. Then he had grown too tired to stand, yet, since there were no movable chairs in the small office, and he didn?t want to leave his father?s side, he had opted to sitting on the floor, leaning against Xanatos?s legs.

Xanatos never said a word about it, he just went on with his work, understanding his son?s need for comfort. His free hand had gone to gently stroke his child?s longish raven hair without much thought on his part.

And that was how they were now. Granta hadn?t moved much in hours, just leaned there, enjoying the rare affection his father was showing him. Xanatos freely gave it, in his own way.

He knew that he was considered an uncaring father. That there were rumors flying around about his supposed neglect towards his young son. Yes, he left him often in the hands of maids, and private tutors. And yes, at times, he showed little love or caring towards his only child. He knew he was not a perfect father, or even a normal one at that.

It was not often that a man was the head of a massive company that controlled planets, and made billions of credits in a single day. It was not often that a man was a dangerous former Jedi, and a traitor to the Order. But Xanatos was both those things, and those things prevented him from being free to truly care for his son properly. His company kept him busy most of the time, and this constant hiding behind a false name, and fake ties to elude the Jedi, left him with little heart to give to his child.

But Granta had never asked for more from him. The boy had simply taken what Xanatos had been willing to give, without questions or complaints. Yes, the boy wanted more, needed more, but he had never pushed, a

2. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I absolutely loved it! :) Xan wasn't all bad, he had his days like everyone else but deep down where it mattered...he's way above the others! :D

Wonderful vig! :)

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I loved it! [face_love] Xanatos is one of my favorite characters (yeah, I've got a thing for bad boys!) Loved your characterization of him! =D=

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwwwww...you mean deep down inside Xanatos is really a nice guy? :eek: :eek:

Must have been a momentary lapse! :D

Great story

=D= =D= =D=

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_love]

If I start liking Granta in the JQ books, I'm blaming you, Neon. :p

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That is really nice. I have not read any of the JQ's and didn't realize that Granta was suppose to be Xanatos son.

You did a wonderful job with the viggie. I love fluff!

7. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :_| That was sad! Sad because I couldn't help thinking about how uncaring Xan was to Granta in the books. Very nice. More would be lovely.

8. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    But Granta had never asked for more from him. The boy had simply taken what Xanatos had been willing to give, without questions or complaints. Yes, the boy wanted more, needed more, but he had never pushed, as if inwardly feeling that his father could not give more.

That is so sad...
    Yeah now I kinda feel bad for Granta...

9. lost_jedii

lost_jedii Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    Wow, great fic =D= I felt so sorry for Granta in some parts...but it was really nice to see Xanatos's good side, erm, okay maybe more like his tiny, tiny good side...but he's still got some goodness :D :D This really was wonderful, will there be more? PLEASE? :D :p

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    You mean that you seriously think that Granta Omega is actually Xanatos's son, when he's obviously a heretical Yuuzhan Vong infiltrator? :eek: :p (But that is what I think...)

11. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    bek: I'm glad you agree that Xan isn't all bad, and that he does have his good days. Heh, and he certainly is. Thank you. :)

VaderLVR64: Having a thing for bad boys isn't a bad thing. ;) And thank you, I'm happy you did. :D

KELIA: Right, just a temporary lapse. ;) Thanks. :D

JadeSolo: Blame away, I'm doing my best to turn as many people to the Granta side as possible. ;)

Healer_Leona: I was the same way before I found out about Granta through the Xan fandom. :) Thank you. :D And I love fluff too, I just don't write it enough. ;)

obi_ew: I know, thinking on that is really sad. Good thing we can ignore the books when we want to. ;) And thanks, I'll be happy to supply more. :)

TRADMIC: It is sad, but don't feel too bad for Granta, he knows he's loved at least. :)

lost_jedii: Right, and a little goodness is all that matters. And since you asked so nicely, I think I can provide more. ;) Thank you. :D

Kudzu: LOL, alright, we each have our own thoughts. I'll keep thinking he's Xan's son, you can keep your Vong theory. ;)

Thank you all so much for your wonderful reviews. I am sorry it took so long to get back to you, and seriously, I shouldn't be doing this when I have two tests coming up tomorrow for college, but, eh', if I die, I die. ;)

So, instead, I'm supplying another vignette. Not as fluffy as the last, and it's not connected to Perfect, unless you wish to think it the back story to it. I'm just throwing it in here to save board space and not to clutter the place up with even more threads. Force knows this place has enough of my stuff floating around. ;)

BTW: If anyone has a better idea for a title for the thread, feel free to give me suggestions.

Sorry if it seems a little rough, but, please enjoy. :)

Name: Memories
    Genre: mild AU, introspective
    Characters: Xanatos, Granta, Granta's mother
    Summery: A quiet night and old memories for Granta's mother.

The little boy stared up into the bright sky. His clear midnight blue eyes studied the pin points of light high above with an unnatural fascination for one his age, yet the woman watching him let him be.

He was different, she knew. Just like his father, but in another way all together. He was quiet, and often thoughtful, in a pure way, while his father had been so in a manipulative way. And where his father had seemed to bear unlimited power, he seemed merely a void. That did not make him less powerful, she knew. But where as his father had mastery, he had his own form of quiet, undemanding power.

He seemed almost a younger mirror image of the man who had fathered him, a man she had not seen in six years, not since that fateful mission of his which had swept him into her life, and out within a span of a couple of nights. Before then, before him, she had been a proud and hard woman, sarcastic and sharp witted. She hadn't been of noble blood, but a simple mechanic's daughter that could swear with the best of the pilots that passed through, and could take apart a ship as easily as any other ship repairer.

That had all changed when he had come, strolling into her father's shop as if he owned the place. A lot of her memories of him had faded during the years, but she could still remember his charming smile, and honey coated words.

She had been wise enough then to know it would not be a long term relationship. She had known it was rather unwise of her to open her heart and her bed to him, but she couldn't refuse him. Not that he had tricked her into it with his odd powers, but because deep inside, she had needed him, in a way that had not been matched by any other before or after him.

Whether it was lust or love, didn't matter after so long. He had gone, and she had been left with his child. When her little one had been born, she had briefly thought of contacting the man, but had decided against it. He didn't need the burden, being what he was, and she was fine raising the boy alone.

The hardness in her had melted, the sharp wit

12. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    There was no need to explain, he understood, and he wasn't angry at her for keeping their son from him. When he finally looked back to her, she understood as well. Those six years of silence were over, this time, he would not leave without them.

It appears that Xan learned a few lessons in life. :)

13. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    He was different, she knew. Just like his father, but in another way all together. He was quiet, and often thoughtful, in a pure way, while his father had been so in a manipulative way. And where his father had seemed to bear unlimited power, he seemed merely a void. That did not make him less powerful, she knew. But where as his father had mastery, he had his own form of quiet, undemanding power.

Beautiful description of Granta. :) I loved every word of it.

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    OH very nice! =D= I love how you're exploring Granta's character! [face_love]

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, that was really moving. Makes me wonder if they delve into Granta's mother much at all in the published books. Lovely Neon.

16. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    bek: That it seems like it. Glad you noticed. :)

obi_ew Thank you so much. I am pleased you liked it so well. :)

VaderLVR64: Thank you. :) I admit, I'm having fun expanding on him.

Healer_Leona: Sadly they don't, though they really should. Thank you for your comments. :)

Thank you all for your replies. Back again with yet another vignette. Its pretty short, and rather random. Forgive the over use of one word. I hope you enjoy it, :)

Name: Brat
    Genre: mild AU, first person
    Characters: Xanatos, Granta
    Summery: Xanatos thinks on his son.

I know I have raised a brat. Though, considering I did it with only a few volumes of child care material, I am considerably proud of my accomplishments. I only wish that Granta had turned out better.

Of course, I know I have probably spoiled the boy too much, and have given into him far too easily. But what can a single father do against big, wobbly blue eyes that just begged for attention and brought to mind the thought of an abused pet?

Absolutely nothing, even if said father is called the most black hearted man in the galaxy. I can say no, but he always finds a way around those denials, either through me, or by going about getting it another way.

Watching him prance about the room in which this party is being held, dressed in his fine black silks and silver trinkets, reminds me all the more that my son has indeed come to be a brat. He flutters from group to group, slick of tongue, smiling so dazzlingly while he flirts with the women, and charms the men.

I don't know when he changed from that sweet and quiet little child he had been, to this. But I know where he got it from. I can see the echo of my own movements in his, and how he tilts his laughter to sound so much like mine. It's almost like looking back nearly fifteen years ago, when I used such seemingly innocent methods to gain power, to get what I wanted. My son had watched me then, and now he acts the role, manipulating these rich pomps with his class and elegant words, subtly seducing them to his will. I am amused how easily they fall for his lures, and become so wrapped up in his traps that they don't even realize that they are caught.

But, he is still a brat. He has no need for this as I once did. He has everything he wants, all the money, power, and possessions he could desire. There isn't a single woman here that wouldn't wish to bed him. And yet, he does this to ensure his place, for his own lust and amusement. I have truly raised a brat child.

He approaches, all smiles and slight swaying of the hips. One arm wraps around one of mine and he leans a little into me. Either he noticed my glance from across the room, or this is one of those times when he wants affection. He never cares who finds it strange for a nearly grown son to cling to his father. It is merely a habit he has retained from childhood.

I do not mind it, though I usually do not prefer such tender shows. Yet, I indulge him, as always, even though I am watchful for his tricks. I will not be played by my own child, especially now. I choose when I give in, no matter how pleading he can get.

?Father?? a breath of warm air brushes against the skin of my neck at the utterance of that soft, simple name. He is still a little shorter then I am, and he may always be, due to his mother's traits. ?Are you angry with me??

I glance at him, raising an eyebrow, ?Of course not. Why do you say that??

?Because you keep staring at me,? he states, blinking oh so fake innocent blue eyes.

I pause. I suppose my thoughts have led me to stare at him enough to make him uncomfortable, ?I am sorry, I was merely thinking.?

?On what?? he asks, truly curious.

?On how much a brat my child has become,? there is a note of affection in my tone, despite my efforts to keep it out.

He grins, and squeezes my arm briefly, ?I take after the brat prince after all,? a teasing wink, and he's gone, back into the crowds to continue his game.

Shaking my head, I cannot help but smile a

17. salem-aubrey

salem-aubrey Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    [face_laugh] Brat Prince!!!! That was great, Neon. Just what I needed today!

I love these viggies. THEY"RE ADORABLE!!! [face_love] There should be more fics w/Xan and Granta together.

Keep up the awesome work!!!

18. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    :D Loved it! Granta sort of having Daddy Xan wrapped around his finger.

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_love]

Definitely loving these! The weird thing is that even though Xan can now spot all of Granta's little faults, the relationship still hasn't changed much. Xan still loves him immensely, and Granta still wants nothing more than to be loved. Which is probably why he's always turning those big blue eyes on his dad. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.