main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Father's Heart (J/J, Soontir Fel)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmpressJainaSoloFel, Jun 17, 2009.

1. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    Disclaimer: I own nothing, although I'm quite happy to pretend I own Jag. Everything belongs to George Lucas.

First off, thanks to my wonderful beta, Scarlett. I couldn't do it without you!

This story takes place just after LotF, and is AU from that point. All feedback is appreciated, if it's negative just keep it constructive. Thanks for reading!

Prologue

General Baron Soontir Fel had always questioned if he?d done the right things for his children. Had their meals been nutritious, their education well-rounded? Had he taught honor, discipline? His mother had once said that parenting was full of doubts and fears; certainties and confidences. This phrase had consoled him when newborn Davin was inconsolable, all the way through to Jagged?s exile. Through his many years of parenting, the aging general had learned that this phrase hid a much deeper meaning. As much discomfort as it brought him, Soontir believed thoroughly in being honest in all things, even to the man in his mirror each morning. He knew he had made mistakes, many of them he eternally regretted. Would Davin still be alive if he had not decided to wait until the next day to teach him that crazy little spiral he?d learned from Han Solo on Carida? If he?d been a little more understanding, would Cherith have stayed home rather than taking on the mission she felt would earn his respect? Even though Soontir doubted his parenting decisions over and over again, only one event had ever caused him to wonder if he?d failed utterly at parenting.

Csilla, shortly after the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War

Only a parent could understand the surge of fierce pride that roared in his heart as the lone clawcraft settled lightly as a dancer on its landing gear. With his experienced eye, Soontir saw that the fighter had been maintained in peak condition, although there seemed to be some slight modifications to the engine. Given Jagged?s love interest, this was hardly surprising. Jaina Solo had an aptitude for mechanics, and the battle statistics Soontir had seen suggested some performance-boosting modifications to his son?s fighter. While Jaina would hardly have been his first choice for a daughter-in-law, he couldn?t deny the newfound sparkle in Jagged?s eyes that testified to Jag?s happiness. Jaina was truly Han?s daughter, although in some respects she resembled her famous mother. The son he loved had blossomed into a man, and Jaina was the kind of woman to appreciate the man Jag became. He knew Syal entertained quiet hopes of a union, and he couldn?t deny his own hopes in that regard. Those hopes were abruptly dashed with the appearance of the lone clawcraft.

Dinner that night was an uncomfortable affair. Syal and Soontir instinctively avoided the topic of Jaina Solo, but Wyn couldn?t be counted on to do the same. Out of his children, Soontir knew that she was the most likely to voice her thoughts. Tonight would be no different. Wyn only tolerated half an hour of discussion on the uncle she?d never met. Her mom might care, but why talk about Uncle Wedge when there was the far more interesting topic of Jag?s girlfriend?

?Jag, where?s Jaina? I?d really hoped to meet her before you marry her.?

?She still has her duties in rebuilding the galaxy, and wasn?t able to get away.?

Due to truncation, you can find the full version of my fic at: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5201391/1/A-Father-s-Heart

2. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

TheSwordJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2008
    I find it's quite fitting that Soontir of all people would understand Jaina's decision between what she desired and what was necessary, and how those two objectives weren't able to coincide with one another.

Wow, simply wow.

Wonderful, wonderful insight of Soontir. I love his thoughts. You can feel Soontir's disappointment in himself and Jag at his (for lack of a better word) failings as a parent.

=D= Well done. A nice, fresh take on Jaina's and Jag's breakup.

3. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Beautiful start.

It's refreshing to see a look at J/J's relationship from Soontir's point of view. Most fanfic stories I've read depict Soontir as not liking Jaina (Han's daughter, rebel, not good enough, etc.) But, he of all people understands the conflicts between duty & honor and family. Every parent wants better for their children than they had for themselves and Soontir knows the mistake that Jag is making, but has to stand back and watch him figure it out for himself.

Can't wait for more. Please put me on the PM list if you start one.

4. carr3107

carr3107 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2008
    I like so many things about this story ;)

I like that someone gets why Jaina said no, not just that she was being difficult and how brutal it was on everyone. Your use of narrative, dialogue and internal monologue is really effective.

Very nice!

5. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    TheSwordJainaSoloFel: Thanks! One thing that has really stuck out to me in the last several books is how Jaina is willing to do what needs to be done, even at the expense of her own wants/desires. I wanted to use the POV of someone who could understand that, but also had a very real interest in how the relationship turned out. I'm glad that you liked it!

Kailene: Consider yourself added! I got the sense in Dark Journey that Soontir is the kind of parent to let his children make their own choices, even if they are mistakes. I wanted to really make sure that part of his character stayed true, because it's just so awesome. Thanks for reading!

Carr: Thanks a million, you know I couldn't have done it without you!

6. JordanCHFel

JordanCHFel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2009
    AMAZING- Is there gonna be more???/

7. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Jordan- Thanks, and as requested, here's the first chapter:

Chapter One

Soontir sat in his office, glumly contemplating the glass before him, as though hoping desperately to find answers floating in the amber depths. Jagged, a head of state? Is he really up for this? And Daala? What in all nine Corellian hells is the galaxy coming to?

Confused and angry, Soontir swept aside the many intelligence briefings he?d collected during Caedus? power grab. It didn?t matter that they scattered through the room, carried far from the polished desk by currents from the heating vents. No, the only thing that mattered was Jagged, caught in the media frenzy his appointment generated.

?In a shocking move, the Moff Council has declared a new High Moff. Spokespersons for the Moff Council have declined to comment on whether Moff Jagged Fel?s appointment was forced on them by Jedi Grandmaster Luke Skywalker. Join us later tonight for Moff Fel?s address to the Galactic Alliance Senate, detailing the Remnant?s new stance on galactic peace and prosperity.? Didn?t that artificial blonde airhead have anything to talk about other than his son? Didn?t she know that after years of nothing more substantial than the occasional intelligence briefing, so much news of their exiled son was overwhelming? As the blonde droned on and on about Jagged?s new policies and his life story, Soontir began to wonder if there were any other stories to occupy her time. After a highly in-depth analysis of many irrelevant details regarding the current state of the Imperial Remnant, she moved on to the hottest story of the night.

?In further news, we have learned that Jaina Solo has completed the first of many surgeries this morning. She is still listed as being in critical condition, despite improvements. Rumors of a pregnancy complicating her treatment have yet to be confirmed. The Solo family has not yet released a statement, but a close family friend reports that they are recovering from the stress of recent events. Join us after Moff Fel?s speech for exclusive footage taken of Jedi Solo?s duel with Darth Caedus, taken from the personal spy cams of Darth Caedus himself!?

Wearily, Soontir pushed the glass away. Drinking would not burn from his mind the images of Jag standing tall and proud as he outlined his plans for the Imperial Mission, nor the image of Jaina rising to fight Caedus even with severe burn injuries. How had it gotten this far? What happened to the peaceful young man he?d once met? And Jaina, forced to strike her brother down? Nothing would free him from the nausea he felt watching her cradle her brother?s dead body as she sat broken on the floor. Yet, in the midst of tragedy, perhaps there was hope. Soontir saw the way Jagged looked at her and the fear in his eyes as he called for the med team. The look that passed between the two suggested a newfound understanding, acceptance, and friendship. Could a love, once so strong and vibrant, be reborn from the tattered shreds of lives left behind after the flame sputtered? Or was the concern in Jagged?s eyes for his child?

Wait, where had that thought come from? If Jagged was the father, wouldn?t he be in carbonite right now? Or shot into a black hole? Soontir doubted anyone touched Han?s girl and got away with it. Besides, the news of Jaina?s pregnancy was nothing more than a rumor. Then why had he so hoped that a pregnant Jaina was evidence that Jagged had pulled his head out of his exhaust port? Wouldn?t a nice, big, sparkly rock on her left ring finger be as good in the way of evidence? As good, yes. Truthfully, even better. That way Han may just injure Jag instead of killing him outright. Soontir had lost too many children to want to lose Jag over such a thing as a physical relationship with the daughter of the second most overprotective father in the galaxy.

With a sigh, Soontir turned to the one tangible piece of Jagged that remained in his home. It had only been after Cherith?s death that Soontir

8. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

Dec 3, 2008
    Yay! It's a story! [face_dancing]

Wait, where had that thought come from? If Jagged was the father, wouldn?t he be in carbonite right now? Or shot into a black hole? Soontir doubted anyone touched Han?s girl and got away with it. Besides, the news of Jaina?s pregnancy was nothing more than a rumor. Then why had he so hoped that a pregnant Jaina was evidence that Jagged had pulled his head out of his exhaust port? Wouldn?t a nice, big, sparkly rock on her left ring finger be as good in the way of evidence? As good, yes. Truthfully, even better. That way Han may just injure Jag instead of killing him outright. Soontir had lost too many children to want to lose Jag over such a thing as a physical relationship with the second most overprotective father in the galaxy.

I loved this passage. Soontir's undying hope for Jag and Jaina is so sweet. Not to mention the entire paragraph is hilarious. [face_laugh]

The journals are a wonderful idea; I could certainly see Jag writing Cherith. And the story Jag writes to Cherith- great job in capturing the awkwardness between J/J during the NJO. I loved Jag's vulnerability. [face_love]

I can't wait to see the Fels arrive on Bastion. :) But I think Soontir is going to have competition when it comes to babysitters. :p

Great update! If you have a pm list, I'd love to be added.

9. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    EmpressJSF:

Wow! Congratulations on a terrific start to this fic. I can hardly wait to read what you have in store for us.

You've done a spectacular job with Soontir's POV here. His disdain for the holopress was a great contrast to his need for them as one of his only sources of information about Jag. Well done.

I loved this passage. I had not considered holo footage of those events although, of course, it is highly likely everyone would have seen it. Soontir's feelings are palpable here. "Second most protective father in the galaxy" indeed!

=D==D= I'll be watching for updates!

oldj

Edit: BTW, ...pulled his head out of his exhaust port? Classic line! [face_laugh][face_laugh]

10. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    The diaries of Jag writing to Cherith is a great addition and very sweet. Can't wait for the Fels to arrive, it will be a nice surprise for Jag, he's surely going to need to back up.

More soon please [face_praying]

11. Jaya_Jag_Ben

Jaya_Jag_Ben Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 5, 2009
    Stang straight!![face_laugh]

That would be better, except for the fact that the boy is CORELLIAN!!! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Only second? Whose the First? [face_thinking]

Great job!

More soon. Please. [face_batting]

JJB

12. carr3107

May 8, 2008
    I think this is my favorite part. Very good use of third hand coverage of questionable reliability, introspection and flashback of sorts.

I'm eagerly awaiting more.

13. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    First of all, I apologize for any incoherence on my part. I'm still pretty tired from a 3 day event and parade that the 501st over here had this weekend. Tons of fun, but very exhausting so my brain isn't quite working clearly. I'll be working on the next chapter, but given current craziness it may take another week or so. Thanks for your patience!

TheSwordJainaSoloFel: Thanks! I think by the time Jag and Jaina started their relationship, Soontir had really been at the point where (almost) anything that would make Jag happy would be something he supported. I always thought of Davin, Cherith, and Jag as an almost inseparable trio so their deaths would have hit him hard. I also think that Jag was probably pretty miserable after his break-up with Jaina. Soontir would know that the spark is still there, and as every parent just wants their kid to be happy, I kinda thought that might translate into wanting those two back together. I am looking forward to Soontir/Han babysitting arrangements! :-D

oldjedinurse: I'm glad it worked out. I've been tossing around this idea for a fic for a while, and I just kept coming back to Soontir but had no clue how to work him in. It was about when I finally got mad and decided to move on and play with a different idea that I thought to use Soontir's POV. Then it took me a bit to work out how he'd even know what was going on and to decide on playing with the LOTF idea of using the holonet. I was worried that it wouldn't work out, but I'm glad it did. Thanks for letting me know that it did!

Kailene: Soontir is a blast to write because he doesn't show much emotion, which leaves sooooooooo much room to play with what's going on under the stoic demeanor. Since Jag is the same way, it's going to be interesting when Soontir does get to Bastion. Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you liked and why!

Jaya_Jag_Ben: Jag is very Corellian, serves Han right :-D Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Carr: As always, a ton of credit in this chapter goes to you. You're the best!

14. jedikatie26

jedikatie26 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    I like this story, it is interesting.
    Do you have a pm list and if you do may I be put on it?
    Please and thank you.

15. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Great start! :D

The prologue was heartbreaking. :_| But it has to be, for that point in Jag's life. You did a great job portraying Jag's initial disappointment at returning to Csilla without Jaina, and contrasting it with the hurt and bitterness he feels later as his hope and optimism fades. :( And showing us all of that through Soontir's eyes was a great idea - given all that Soontir has sacrificed for his love and his family, he certainly has a wise, experienced perspective on what Jag's going through.

Chapter One was great fun. Poor Soontir, it's always very disconcerting to be so out of the loop when all these major events are transpiring. Even worse to be learning news about his son from the Holonet! [face_hypnotized] Although his musings on whether Jaina might be pregnant, and Jag as the father, were my favorite part. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Looking forward to more. The Soontir POV is great fun. :cool:

16. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Current PM list:
    Kailene
    TheSwordJainaSoloFel
    jedikatie26

jedikatie26: Thanks! And I'll get you right on that pm list!

Lex: I'm glad you enjoyed it! His musings on Jaina being pregnant were probably the most fun to write.

Thanks to everyone for your patience, the second chapter is nearly done.

17. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Chapter 2

Packing had gone swiftly as Soontir was no fool and had been planning for such an eventuality since Jagged had been exiled. The few boxes were loaded carefully into the Starflare, Cem and Wyn already starting the preflight. After the last walk-through had been completed, all that remained was to find his wife. Syal hadn?t been in the garden, or in any of her usual places. The echoing kitchen was empty, as was Cherith?s old room. Concerned, Soontir moved on to Jagged?s room. It was there he found Syal, beautiful as ever, standing by the window with tears streaming down her face. Gently, he took her in his arms, silently willing all her torments to end. He was a man who could easily stare down an enemy fighter, but the sight of Syal?s tears had always undone him. As she leaned into his chest, Soontir ran his hands through the silky golden strands of hair just now beginning to show gray. The last several years had been hard on them all, first Jagged?s exile and then the death of Wyn?s husband; followed by the loss of the baby Wyn had been carrying. Going back to the Known Regions was going to be a large change, but a welcome one. However, that did not mean leaving the last thirty years behind was easy.

?Are you ready, love??

?Not really, but I suppose I never will be.? As she spoke, she lifted her head and shook her blond locks out of her face. The blue eyes still had that signature twinkle, even through the sadness clouding them. ?Do you suppose Wedge really will help us? Will he ever forgive me??

?Your brother loves you, Syal. Very much. I doubt that he?s ever stopped worrying about you, but that?s something he needs to forgive me for, not you. Besides, if he can?t help us, maybe I could look up Han Solo??

His attempt at humor had the intended affect, as Syal smiled, even though it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. ?Now that is something I?d love to see. My husband, asking a Solo for help! I?m sure it would simply turn into a very animated discussion of different Corellian brandies, which would then require a taste test, and then a few more taste tests, and probably end in a very drunken sabacc game where you lose a large amount of credits.? That was the problem with being married to an actress, they could joke and keep a perfectly straight face. Well, two could play that game, even if only one could win.

?You may be right about the sabacc game, but how do you know the discussion will be about brandy??

?You?re Corellian, dear. You?d never pass up the opportunity to discuss brandy with another Corellian.?

?We can talk about ships too, you know. Besides, I can always take a jab or two at his flying junk heap.?

?That would be bad for your health and you know it. Besides, I bet he?s faster with a blaster than you are.?

?But being a Corellian, I?m a sucker for impossible odds.? The banter continued all the way to the Starflare, where Soontir assumed the pilot?s seat to Wyn and Cem?s very interesting argument about whose turn it was to copilot. The argument was abruptly ended by the ring of a booted pair of feet at the door to the cockpit.

?Shawnkyr, I didn?t expect to see you here.? Soontir struggled to keep his voice level and calm. If she was here?

?I could not pass up the opportunity to see Jagged again. Besides, who else is there to shoot him down when he takes too much pride in his flying skills?? She looked unsure, which was highly unusual for her. Cem had dubbed her sense of humor a work in progress. That she would attempt a joke was no longer surprising, but to see her uncertain was another thing entirely. Had the Chiss decided to move against him already? ?Could you fit a passenger on your journey? I fear my involvement with your family could mean my end if I do not leave, quickly.?

It only took him a second to reach his decision. ?Of course. Please take the copilot?s station.? Cem and Wyn glared as Shawnkyr strapped in, but Soontir pretended not to notice as he engaged the repulsorlifts and set the

18. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

Dec 3, 2008
    It will be interesting to see how Shawnkyr plays a role in this story, she's such an under used character.

Absently, Soontir wondered what would happen to that reporter when Jaina was well enough to get out of the medward with lightsaber in hand.
    [face_laugh] That will certainly be a sight to see.

Duchess?- That's quite a turn of events. Poor Jaina, duty always seem to be there, just waiting for her.[face_worried]And what a way to add stress to Jag's and Jaina's already complicated relationship- forcing marriage upon them.

You have quite a few original ideas that I haven't seen in fanfic before, it's great to read a story that stands out. =D=[face_peace]

19. Jaya_Jag_Ben

Jaya_Jag_Ben Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 5, 2009
    AWWWW....

The Soontir/Syal banter was well played, Empress.

SHAWNKYR!!!! My gosh. I mean, I like her and all, but something about her in cannon always bugged me.

Soontir needs to find that Blonde reporter and... well... put her in her place.

Bravo! =D=

More soon. [face_batting] Please

JJB

20. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    And the intrigue really begins...

I love the way you drop in unexpected details ("the death of Wyn's husband...the loss of the baby Wyn had been carrying"; "Duchess Jaina Solo"). Syal's concern about how her brother will react to their reappearance in Known Space is realistic and touching, as is the way you write the relationship between Syal and Soontir. [face_love]=D=

I've always believed that Shawnkyr would respond just the way you've written in this chapter. She has been established as a close friend of the Fels and it stands to reason that she would be suspected by the Chiss of being a little too close. That vulnerability could certainly send her back to Known Space as well. Who better to go with than Jagged's family? Can't wait to see what you do with her character.

Suggesting that a marriage between Jaina and Jag is becoming politically motivated opens up lots of interesting possibilities. If they still love each other--as I believe, of course :*--that love is going to be tested in a big way.

Great set up for a fascinating story! I'll be watching for more!

=D==D=

21. Kailene

Feb 17, 2009
    Wow, what a chapter. =D= =D=

The exchange between Soontir & Syal was great. They know each other so well, after everything they have been through and the threats awaiting them, their love for each is evident.

Jaina a Duchess?!?! Poor girl isn't even close to being recovered from her injuries and already she's being thrown back into the thick of things. Jag & Jaina are just beginning to rediscover their feelings for each other and then this happens. They just can't catch a break. A marriage between them for political reasons, [face_thinking] interesting. They would do anything to protect each other, but will a marriage for that reason ruin their chance of finding the love that they lost ??

Good thing that Soontir will be there. I think that Jag will need his wisdom (and protection), I do hope that he takes his fathers advice. I love the addition of Shawnkyr, Jag will need all the friends on his side as he can get.

Oh, yea, and that holoreporter, I'm with Soontir, can't wait for Jaina to get well enough. That will make for very juicy news indeed. [face_mischief]

Another update soon please. [face_praying] [face_praying]

22. Aurelius11

Aurelius11 Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2009
    Great story so far!

Could you add me to your PM list?

Thanks.

23. carr3107

May 8, 2008
    I just love the way you keep layering the intrigue. I'm really hearing Soontir's voice.

24. _sticks

_sticks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    Can I be added to the PM list?, if there is one.

25. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks to some extra time on my hands this last week, I've got the next post nearly done. It should be up tomorrow.

Current PM List:
    Kailene
    TheSwordJainaSoloFel
    jedikatie26
    Aurelius11
    _sticks

Now, for some replies. Thanks to everyone who is reading and giving feedback.

TheSwordJainaSoloFel: I'm glad this stands out, I've been kinda scared of provoking the "here we go again" reaction. Jaina and Jag have spent so long with duty tearing them apart that I really wanted to play with duty forcing them together. I agree that Shawnkyr is underused, I'm really looking forward to writing how she'll cope with a group of Corellian pilots :)

Jaya_Jag_Ben: I'm glad you liked Syal and Soontir. I'm thinking that with all they've been through they've developed a laugh or cry reflex. They're at the point that they've learned how to pick each other up and find the humor in any situation. I'm hoping to play with Shawnkyr a bit, after all, hanging around Cem and Jag ought to have some impact on her :-D

ojn: I'm glad the details worked out. I was scared at first of going into too much detail, but I really wanted to bring out the fact that the Fels have not had an easy run of it. I wanted the return to the Known Regions to be a needed changed, one that really had some promise for them. I think Soontir kinda needed to learn the lines between duty and happiness himself. Shawnkyr is going to be a lot of fun to work with. She's grounded, practical, and not afraid of telling Jag or Soontir what's what. She's a stabilizing influence on the Fel family dynamic, and I'm looking forward to showcasing that.

Kailene: I think Syal is a stronger person than she was given credit for the the FH trilogy. She stands by Soontir, no matter what's going on. She's not a flashy character, but one of those quiet, strong ones who tends to get overlooked because they're just in the background doing the little things. But I think it's those little things that's kept the Fels going strong, and she's another role model for Jaina to pull from. The political reasons are part of the fun, but something I haven't addressed yet is that Jaina's now the galaxy's most eligible bachelorette. Jag may just have a problem with that :evil grin: The Jag/Soontir dynamic is turning into a lot of fun to play with. Soontir has learned some hard lessons, and Jag knows that.

Aurelius11: Thanks! You're on the list.

Carr: Thanks a million for all your help. You've helped this story gain a lot more depth than I otherwise would have given it. I've learned a ton from you already.

_sticks: Sure thing! You're on.