main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Father's Heart (J/J, Soontir Fel)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by EmpressJainaSoloFel, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Rogue11JSF

Rogue11JSF Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2009
    THis is awesome please post more soon!!!

2. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    Rogue11: As requested, the next chapter is here!

Chapter 3

Soontir tried to contain his nerves as he stood outside of his brother-in-law?s residence. If I think I?m nervous, just think how Syal feels. This is her brother. The sight of speeders whipping by in the traffic lanes outside the viewport did nothing to calm him. Years ago, he?d loved watching the organized chaos of Coruscanti traffic. It had never been easy for Soontir to swallow his pride and ask for help, but he had no choice in the matter now. He had no friends out here; he?d abandoned them when he joined Thrawn. That left family, and Wedge was the only one left in that category.

He had tried Corellia first, only to learn that Wedge had moved to Coruscant for the time being. The Baron hadn?t seen Wedge in thirty years, and had left him without news of Syal until Jagged showed up at Ithor. It was no wonder it required a month to locate Wedge, but at last he was here. Wedge had relocated to the middle of the high-end sections, the kind usually occupied by high-ranking government officials or the absurdly wealthy. He had an apartment at the top of the Azure Towers, which was a statement in itself. How did Wedge manage to get the top two floors of one of the most elite residences on Coruscant? Surely military salary does not pay so well. Isn?t he retired, anyway? Soontir took some solace in the idea that Wedge, a man of modest taste, had to nearly as uncomfortable here as he was. Letting out a deep breath, Soontir pushed the door announcer and waited.

?Soontir? Is that really you?? Soontir smiled, same old Wedge. The years had been hard on him, Soontir noted. There were some definite wrinkles; he might have to tease Wedge about that later. But the shock on Wedge?s face made any form of jesting inappropriate now.

?And here I thought it was bad manners to keep family standing outside. Or maybe things are different among scruffy Rebels?? Amendment: almost any form of jesting. Some jabs were just irresistible.

?Now I know where Jag gets his sense of humor from. Come on in, how can I turn away the second-best pilot in the galaxy?? Soontir?s eyes widened; now he?d be sure to tease Wedge about those wrinkles. Everyone knew the best pilot in the galaxy was?

?Jag could probably outfly you with no trouble these days. I?m sure simming is his new way of working off steam. He always seems to achieve his best scores after a meeting with the Moffs. So tell me, did my sister accompany you out? I doubt you?d show up after all this time for a social visit.? Soontir had to give Wedge credit; he?d almost kept the longing out of his voice.

?Syal is here, just taking care of some last minute purchases. You know women, never enough shoes or handbags. She was most displeased at having to leave half her collection on Csilla. She should be here in an hour or so.?

?Cut the shavit Soontir. What aren?t you telling me? You don?t just go away for thirty years and show up at someone?s door without an explanation.? Now that Wedge was over the shock enough to get angry, Soontir was very glad he?d sent Syal shoe-shopping while he ?finished locating her brother.? He knew Wedge had every right to be angry with him, and he?d hoped his wife would miss the blow-up. Wedge deserved honesty; it was the least Soontir could do after barging in on him like this.

?I came here for help. The Chiss didn?t take the news of Jagged?s new job very well, and I promised you once that I?d always keep Syal safe. I left the Chiss to keep my promise to you. I feared for our safety if we stayed. Going straight to Jag is too obvious; the Chiss would be lying in wait at Bastion. I knew I could trust you. I?d like to go to Bastion to help Jag, but until that?s an option, I would like to ask if my family, plus a close friend, would be able to stay here.? Soontir could see Wedge thinking about it. He knew Wedge was debating turning him away out of spite, but he also knew Wedge would never pass on the chance to see

3. Jaya_Jag_Ben

Jaya_Jag_Ben Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 5, 2009
    :_|

Oh. My. That was so heart wrenching. (In the good way, but still)

The reunion between Jag and his father was great. Soontir thinking his son is angry with him and then Jag dashes over and hugs him tight. [face_love] That man has a big heart.

Shocked that his son had changed allegiances so quickly, Soontir wondered over the identity of this woman who had replaced Jaina at Jag?s side.

:rolleyes: typical. He never met Jaina, but how could he think that Jaina wouldn't be at Jag's side is beyond me.

The Father/Son late night chat was [face_love] and the engagement ring! That was a surprise!

=D=

Brava!

Keep up the awesome work

JJB

4. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    [face_love]

First, I think I may be repeating myself but I admire the way you are writing your characters. You are making me feel each scene. That's wonderful.

You made a courageous choice to showcase Wedge's reunion with Soontir rather than the more obvious greeting of his sister, Syal. I had fun imagining what you didn't describe, and loved the range of emotions those two old warriors experienced when they came together again after thirty years. The dinner table is so well described, I could hear the chatter, the laughter, and visualized Shawnkyr taking it all in stride. I'm waiting for the fun when you add the Solos to that mix! Well, especially one Solo... [face_devil]

The nighttime father-son conversation was heartfelt and touching. You've really got a feel for Jag's character--he desperately loves Jaina to the point that he sacrifices himself at every turn to prevent adding to her pain. We've seen that portrayed in profic. Great job displaying Jag's essential selflessness!

A lovely ending, too, with Jag quietly accepting the ring.

Excellent job, EmpressJSF!

5. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

TheSwordJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2008
    The discussion between Jag and Soontir was painfully beautiful. You could feel both Jag's and Soontir's emotions just seep through. So much was said in that talk both verbally and nonverbally. And poor Jag and Jaina, losing that baby, as if they didn't have enough on their plates[face_worried]:_|. Jag keeping the engagement ring was the perfect way to end this set, on a hopeful note.
    Great addition.

6. jaina-Fett

jaina-Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2008
    I love this story!!!!!!!!!!! It's cool to see everything from Soontir's point of view, so sad about the baby though. :( :(
    I can't wait for the next update, can you add me to the pm list if you have one?

7. Rogue11JSF

Jul 3, 2009
    :_| Beautiful!
    please post more!

8. carr3107

carr3107 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2008
    Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying this story?

Jag and Jaina broke my heart, Jag and Soontir made me smile and this made me laugh:

LOL!

This chapter touched me in bunch of different ways. Good work!

9. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Time for some author responses. Again, I can't thank those of you who are replying enough. The next post should be up within 24 hours.

Jaya_Jag_Ben: I'm glad that Jag's willingness to forgive has come through here. I couldn't see him forgiving Jaina for the Killik mess without forgiving his father. Soontir never having met Jaina was part of the fun, because he fully expected to see a woman who was perfectly content in a flightsuit. This is almost a Hermione at the Yule Ball moment. Thanks again!

oldjedinurse: I kept trying to write Wedge and Syal, and it just wouldn't gel with the rest of the chapter. When I left it out, everything flowed much better. The father-son conversation took me the longest to write, it was hard to get the emotion to come through without it getting uber sappy. Jag's characterisation was something I've been really worried about, thanks for letting me know it's working.

TheSwordJainaSoloFel: I think the magic of Jag and Jaina is that they've really mastered the art of taking trials one at a time, even when everything is happening at once. After all they've been through, they've learned how to face the storm together. They take care of each other first, and give each other the strength to face their challenges. I'm glad that you enjoyed!

jaina-Fett: Thanks! Soontir took me a bit to get the hang of, but he's a fun character to write. He's so observant that I can use a lot of detail, but also so good at putting the pieces together that he can really advance a plot. Consider yourself added!

Rogue11JSF: Thanks! Check back tomorrow evening for more.

Carr3107: After I reworked everything, something just seemed missing. Your idea for an edit was the basis for that line. Thanks a million!

Current PM List:
    Kailene
    TheSwordJainaSoloFel
    jedikatie26
    Aurelius11
    _sticks
    jaina-Fett
    Rogue11JSF
    JordanCHFel

If anyone wants to be added or removed, just let me know.

10. Rogue11JSF

Jul 3, 2009
    OOOO OOO OOO ME!!! PM ME!!!
    *Jumps up and down waving hand*
    [:D]

11. JordanCHFel

JordanCHFel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2009
    Oh my gosh I have been such a terrible reader......prolly because I never check the BTS 1st page.....I just go to SWOM and go where the PMs take me....
    Can I be added to the PM list and when do we get more.....:)
    THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!
    Just a quetion and I don't mean to sound rude or anything...but are you gonna write from anyone's perspetive other than Soontir?????Just wondering
    This is soooooooooooooo good
    I almost cried at the Jag/Soontir talk...and he gave Jag Syal's engagment ring that is sooooooooooo cut.....
    Jordan

12. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Catching up again. :)

Still really enjoying the Soontir POV for this story. :cool:

Poor guy. One post he's got Syal, the next post it's Wedge. Tagteamed by the Antilles siblings! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Interesting political twists. It'll be fun to see where you take them. [face_thinking] Although if Jaina keeps her title as a Moff, that could explain why some of the male Moffs in the Legacy era are so bitter about female ones. [face_mischief] :oops: :p

The Jag-Soontir reunion was very well done. :D

Looking forward to more. :)

13. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Some quick responses before the next chapter:

Rogue11, you're added!

Jordan: You're added as well. At this point, I'm planning on keeping the Soontir POV. This is Soontir's story, although J/J will feature heavily. It will allow for quite a bit of fun with the J/J relationship as well. Thanks for the response!

Lex: Thanks, Soontir is really an interesting character to work with. I'm glad you enjoyed the reunion, it was very challenging to write, but very worth it.

And now for:

Chapter 4

Soontir had always risen early, and even the events of the previous day were not enough to change that. He dressed quickly, refusing to dwell on the differences between civilian and military attire. Syal, still tired from the shopping trip and subsequent reunion, slept peacefully on. Silently shutting the door, Soontir made his way to the kitchen. No reason to wake her. Let her pleasant dreams continue, I?m sure she?ll need to do more shopping anyway. After all, just last night she was asking Jaina about the best boutiques in the area. It had surprised him that Jaina was able to provide the information, even if she?d had to think about it. Jagged had leaned over and quietly informed him that Jaina had been dragged through a dizzying variety of shops since she got out of the medward, giving her a good working knowledge of who carried what. I suppose that fits, she is a duchess now. She ought to dress like it, even though I doubt she likes it much more than Jagged. However much Jaina had disliked it, she made a lovely picture, especially when her handmaiden dragged her upstairs to change into slightly more formal dinner attire. She protested, claiming that it was only a family dinner, but the Solos had wisely found her a handmaiden that was her match in stubbornness.

?Would you like a cup of caf? I was just going to start a couple, and if you?d like one I?d be happy to add another.? Even at this early hour Jaina was dressed for the day. Her hair was elegantly twisted and coiled atop her head, although a few face-framing wisps accented delicate cheekbones. The silk gown was elegantly tailored, showing off a trim waist before flaring gently over her hips and flowing to the floor. The lavender coloring reminded him of sunsets on Corellia, when he used to talk with his family in the garden. He couldn?t help but wonder what part of the gown hid her lightsaber.

?I?d love some, Jaina.? He?d never been alone in a room with her before, and the thought of speaking with her was strangely unnerving. Yesterday, he?d had Jag and Wedge to serve as buffers. However, while there was no one else around, it was the perfect time to obtain the answer to a question that had been nagging at him for some time. ?If I may, I?d like to ask you a question.? He saw her back stiffen slightly, although she held her hands steady as she continued preparing the caf. ?When Jag sent back the report on Alema Rar, you added information about his condition. Why did you do it? You had no obligation to us.?

?A mistake I made cost your family dearly. If it wasn?t for my lack of judgment, you would not have had to endure the financial hardship resulting from my actions at Supply Depot Thrago. I trusted the wrong person. My mistake cost you your son. I know I can?t ever change that. The least I could do was let you know he was being taken care of.? Soontir barely heard the chime of the caf dispenser as he struggled to find a way to tell Jaina that he didn?t blame her. How could he blame her, knowing what the Chiss had planned? She had done her Jedi duty, time and time again without ever stopping to put her own interests first. Now here she was, shouldering a heavy burden, calmly pouring caf as though this was a daily occurrence. Perhaps for her it was.

?How do you like your caf??

?Black. Thank you.? Soontir gratefully accepted the mug, watching quietly as Jaina prepared the other two cups. One was kept simple, just a bit of cream, while the other was a rather complex mixture of flavorings

14. Rogue11JSF

Jul 3, 2009
    =D= [face_laugh] LOVED IT!!!

15. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Got to run this morning, but wanted to let you know that I read this during breakfast and absolutely enjoyed it!!

More later...

oldj

16. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    =D= [face_love] =D= [face_love]

This is such a wonderful, heartfelt story. You are able to bring such depth and life to each of the characters.

Chapter 3 was so heartbreaking and emotional. The caf bit in chap. 4 was brillant, [face_laugh] [face_laugh] you had me laughing, I have a friend that is that particular about her caf, nobody can seem to get it just right. The Han/Soontir reunion was great, I love that they were able to fall into being friends & comrades and able to talk with one another like that. They both have suffered so much and are able to understand the other.

I am really enjoying the story from Soontir POV, I love the way he notices all the little things, especially since Jag & Jaina think that nobody can tell.

Can't wait for more.

17. carr3107

carr3107 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2008
    More later, but I liked the chapter before, and I think the parts that you put in after the beta are my favorite. Nice work.

18. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

TheSwordJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2008
    Wonderful job of letting the details tell the story. And I love how Soontir notices all the little things about everyone. Can't wait to see if Amelia spills the beans!

19. JordanCHFel

JordanCHFel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2009
    Oh that was so great thanks for the PM and I can't wait for more!!!
    Michelle

20. jaina-Fett

jaina-Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2008
    That was a very lighthearted and fun update, for the most part. Jaina losing the baby is still so sad. :(
    Jaina preparing Jag's caf was fun, who knew Jag was so picky about his caf. :p

Looking forward to more.

21. JFEL13

JFEL13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2009
    Oh this is a really good idea!!!

Can't read it right now, but will tonight and then do a real reply.

22. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    Next post is at the beta's now, but it may be a few days. I'm not quite happy with how it's coming.

Rogue11JSF: Thanks!

oldjedinurse: I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Kailene: I think that the defining things in the J/J love story really are the little things, and that they underestimate how well they know each other. Both Han and Soontir are men who have braved things that scare the jeepers out of most people, and they've learned to take and hold what happiness they can. If that means having a laugh at their children's expense, they'll laugh together. Thanks for the feedback!

Carr: I can say it a million times, and it won't be enough, you rock!

TheSwordJainaSoloFel: Oh, Amelia has her ways :-D I'm glad the details are working, sometimes I fight with whether or not I have too many going. Thanks for letting me know you liked it!

JordanCHFel: Thanks and you're welcome!

jaina-Fett: Jaina losing the baby was heartbreaking for both of them, but it also showed them how much they really could have together. They had to lose that to know how much they wanted it in the first place. I'm glad you enjoyed the caf scene, I had a blast writing it. Thanks for reading!

JFEL13: Thanks! I can't wait to see your thoughts.

23. JFEL13

JFEL13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2009
    Okay, so I read it last night and I loved it! It's moving, funny and fresh. I love the Soontir POV idea and the timing of the fic itsself. Jag going home without Jaina after NJO, their break-up, and immediately post-LotF (plus telling the side of the poor Fel family at that time - brilliant!) are all things I've pondered. Since I've had to catch up:

PROLOGUE: Brilliant piece of writing! Beautiful, believable from all angles. My heart aced for Soontir. The break-up masterfully showed their age and personalities. People that age are so passionate, about each other and about their aspirations. Without the benefit of hindsight and maturity, they often can't find workable solutions to their issues. Jag's naivity, stubbornness and pride really fit with where the DN and LotF went with him. Jaina's dedication to the Jedi and her fear of losing herself were evident as well. Soontir's regrets too were so real and struck a chord for me.

CHAPTER 1: "Then why had he so hoped that a pregnant Jaina was evidence that Jagged had pulled his head out of his exhaust port?"..............I just love that line. Made me laugh.
    The journals were a great trick to add details and to show Jag's vulnerabilities. I am LOVING the details. You have a true gift that way. The way you humanize Soontir with planting of roses and his growing closeness with Jag is awesome. They've just dumped all that in the series. In Dark Journey when Soontir sends Jag to Known Regions, there were a couple lines that made him seem more fatherly, which developed not only his character but Jag's as well. After that, though, there was nothing which I thought was a shame. Another reason why I like the angle you're taking with this story.

CHAPTER 2: The Soontir/Syal banter was cute and unexpected...loved it. Curious to see what Shawnkyr's place will be....seems like she'd be a fish out of water]-} The rant about Jaina's legitimacy to Duchess was cool. I'd never thought about all those inherited titles. This story is taking a different political direction than I've seen before. I'm interested in seeing where it goes and how it affects our people.

CHAPTER 3: Love Wedge's reaction to Soontir arriving on his doorstep. Wedge is so cool!! It was like, Is he mad? Is he kidding? Little of both? Awesome! I liked your descriptions of J/J's laughs - the soprano and baritone - like their happiness resonated right off the page. Soontir's impression of Jaina was a bulls-eye! Father's are like that. My dad could always tell what my date was like with just a 5 minute introduction.

CHAPTER 4: Again, love love love the details. It shows how Jaina & Jag have calmed down, more mature, loving, letting go of pride. Jag's coffee, crack me up!!! Who knew?
    Han hugged Jag? Weird, but cool.
    The bit with Lecerson vs. Jag over Jaina - super cute and funny.

Excited to see where this all goes. Great start. Great fresh idea!
    (sorry so long, I'll keep up on your next chapters)

24. Jaya_Jag_Ben

Jaya_Jag_Ben Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 5, 2009
    Aw. I am such a bad reader. I thought I replied!!! :oops:

Loved Chapter four Empress.

Jag. Picky about coffee. [face_laugh]

Jaina, she would know exactly how he liked it.

The Baby! [face_shocked] :( That's so sad. I lost four siblings. All miscarriages. So I kinda feel Jaina's pain.

=D= All in all, good post.

JJB

25. EmpressJainaSoloFel

Jan 3, 2009
    JFEL13: Wow, thanks! I'm so glad you enjoy the details, they're the trickiest but fun to write. I think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that our fave characters are human too, as they've just been heroes for so long. The politics are challenging, but I'm learning a lot while working with them. Thanks again for the wonderful review!

Jaya_Jag_Ben: It's all good, I've done that on your story a few times, lol. Thanks!

Soontir couldn?t stop laughing, and he wasn?t the only one. The entertainment value was well worth the lost fifty credits as little Amelia boldly walked up to Jagged, fists planted on her hips. ?When are you going to marry my sister? You better have a really pretty ring for her, she deserves it.? She?d mastered her ?sister?s? trademark glare very quickly.

The young couple had barely walked through the door, and Soontir was sure Jaina was tempted to turn and run back out. The shock on her face was something Soontir would never forget, but he didn?t miss that her brandy eyes flicked quickly to Jag to see how he would handle the situation. Not for the first time that day, Soontir marveled at how the Solo family?s resiliency. Amelia, so recently adopted, loved and admired her ?big sister? with no reservations. Earlier, as the grownups had discussed the possibility of a pending marriage, she had looked most troubled. As Soontir looked to Jagged to see how his son would react, he was shocked to see Jagged crouch down in front of the little inquisitor, a small smile on his face as he drew out the battered box Soontir had handed him the night before. Despite the laughter of everyone else in the room, his son remained quite serious.

?Do you think this is good enough for her?? Jagged held out the ring for the child to examine, and Jaina?s eyes grew even wider. As much as Soontir had hoped his son would make his alliance with Jaina permanent, he certainly hadn?t expected this turn of events. Apparently, neither had Jaina. His son waited patiently for Amelia to complete her examination, his face betraying no hint of anxiety or anticipation. When had Jag grown to be so good with children?

?Well, it?s a pretty ring. I approve. But when are you going to marry her?? Amelia?s tone was oddly formal; her young voice already had a ring that spoke of royalty and confidence. Despite her formality, she was smiling widely as she handed the ring back to Jagged. ?And you?d best say yes Jaina, I want a brother.? Jag?s smile widened as Jaina blushed furiously.

?I?ll marry her just as soon as our mothers can help us plan the wedding.? Jag winked at Amelia before standing and turning to Jaina, who still looked as though she couldn?t believe this was happening. Her eyes were still and her lower lip had started to tremble. Soontir wondered if anyone else in the room saw the small tear threatening to spill from her left eye or the way her breath caught as Jag took her left hand. ?Marry me, Jaina.? His son looked as if he wanted to say more but couldn?t find the words and for a moment it seemed they had frozen in time, unaware of the world outside the two of them. The threatening tear finally spilled, followed by more slowly winding their way down Jaina?s porcelain cheeks.

Soontir hadn?t heard her whispered response, but Jag?s laughter as Jaina collapsed against his chest told him all he needed to know. Her small shoulders were shaking, Soontir guessed she was crying. His guess was confirmed as Jag released her to slide the ring on her left hand. Jaina?s eyes sparkled, and Soontir soon found himself being embraced by his now-sniffling wife. As hugs were exchanged all around, the only serious face in the room remained on little Amelia. Soontir watched his son disentangle himself from Iella to turn back to the little girl who was tugging insistently on the leg of his pants.

?You?d better be extra nice to her. Papa Han knows where carbonite is and he isn?t afraid to use it.? As the room erupted in laughter once again, Soontir couldn?t hear Jagged?s response, but she lis