main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Faulty Kylo Ren Black Series Lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Miku, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miku

Miku Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2015
    So here's the deal. I bought the Kylo Ren Black Series Lightsaber from Amazon and received it last week. I didn't notice it at first, but I think the lightsaber might be faulty. The two small side blades make a somewhat obvious noise when I'm moving the hilt with the lightsaber turned off. It kind of feels and sounds like some sort of tube is moving inside the side blades. (I can't see anything moving though.) When I put my fingers around the side blades, I can also feel something moving there from one side to the other and I hear an almost clicking-type sound. Is this normal? I was wondering if they are some sort of motion sensors/tubes that are supposed to move inside the blades?

And no, I have not wacked anything with this lightsaber, except my own hands and feet in those videos when testing the clashing sounds, but this should not cause the side blades to make such a noise, especially because I tested them very gently and the hilt is made of polycarbonate. This is also my fourth FX Lightsaber. I have Anakin ROTS from Hasbro, Obi-Wan ROTS from Hasbro and Vader ANH from Master Replicas. I've owned those lightsabers since 2008 and 2009 and none of them have ever had any sort of problems, as I use them for display purposes only and when I wack something to show the clashing sounds, I do it very gently like with this Kylo Ren Lightsaber.

Another problematic thing is the clash sounds. When I'm trying to produce a clash sound with the lightsaber for example hitting it with my hand, it most of the time produces a short hum sound (which it also produces when swinging around). I checked a lot of YouTube reviews/unboxings of the Kylo Ren Black Series Lightsaber and the clash sounds seem to work either perfectly or near-perfectly. Again the other three, much older FX Lightsaber I have, produce the clashing sounds perfectly and much better than this new Kylo Ren one, which definitely should not be the case.

I uploaded a couple YouTube videos where I shortly demonstrate the said problems. Could other users who also own the Kylo Ren Black Series Lightsaber kindly check those videos and then tell me whether you have these issues (if they are issues at all). If these are just common things with this lightsaber, it's fine, but if they're manufacturing flaws, I probably have to ask for a replacement from Amazon. I know those two things are not the biggest flaws possible and I'm being kind of picky here, but I paid 200€ for this Lightsaber and I expect it to be top-notch in terms of quality, and I think I have a right to be picky since it was so expensive, as this is not a 20€/$ toy, but a very expensive collectible.

Here are my short videos where I show the clash sounds and the clicking/moving noise of the side blades. Please check them out and leave a comment.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    the only thing I can suggest is pretty much the obvious:

get a refund on Amazon and get a replacement.

If you get exactly the same problems it's simply how the lightsaber is made, if not...you get a new, correctly working lightsaber.

I'm no expert but from what you describe it does sound faulty,

the only other thing I can suggest is take a look in the collecting forum on this site, someone there might be able to help.

In any event, good luck is sorting out the issue.

3. Miku

Miku Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I contacted Amazon about this and they sent me a replacement. It should arrive in the next week or so.

Dandelo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.