main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

a few lightsaber blade questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by AWB1989, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    i have some of the prop lightsabers made by rubies. i will probably remove the blades from the sabers though. but i have a few questions about the good blades:

1. what kind of blade should i use?

2. how long and how thick of a blade?

3. how do i install it into the saber?

4. when i install it is there a way to remove it for shots in fanfilms like where someone is carrying around a saber but it is off

thanks in advance,
    aaron

2. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hi and peace be yours Arron,

I'm gonna try and take a crack at this one.:D I'm going what what I've heard other Jedi mention about this.

1. what kind of blade should i use?

a. Some use a wooden dowel rod and roto scope the Sbare light later on.
    Dowels can be good, they do break but are easliy replacable.

b. an acrylic blade.
    preferacne depends on the person. Arcylic, Ehh I don't if they can break.

C. EL blades- the cadilac of Saber blades VERY expesnive.
    Some people sell kits for these.

My saber has an Eletroluminesant blade in a bullet proof tube. I tried to break the bugger and couldn't. But that's major expesive for a fan film.

all in all a dowel rod thing is best, you break'em hop up to a Home Depote and snag a few more blades<G> They'll even cut 'em to size for ya'.

ALl these ahve pros and cons. 'pends on bugets.

2. how long and how thick of a blade?

Total length is blade is 41 inches. Sounds long BUT, you've 5 of those inches into the hilt to it's not gonna fall out when you spar. That'd make it 36 inches acutally seen.

3. how do i install it into the saber?

Kai or another can tell you to techie stuff, But I can try to descripe what I see on mine.
    My saber has a screw hole towards the top of the hilt. It's used to lock down the dowel or acrylic blade. Just a regular knob type screw.(again if i goofed the name up someone'll correct me.<VBG>)

4. when i install it is there a way to remove it for shots in fanfilms like where someone is carrying around a saber but it is off .

yes.
    Use the screw in method and you can remove your blade anytime you wish.
    I do recommend you contact KiaRhann or another Jedi here. Anyone of them has smade some kickin' sabers and can really get yours tricked out for battle. :)

You can PM me and I can send yousome pics of my saber hilt so you can see where the blade is placed.

Hope it made some sense.<G><

Jauhzmynn

3. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    thanks a lot for all of the info

I just realized that the RUBIES saber hilts are okay, but don't look like metal, really. So I will go and make my own sabers, but do you know know any sites that says where to make inexpensive lightsaber hilts other than the big yellow box. the first saber i will make it darth vader's.

aaron

4. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Thickness on the movies were 3/4" but its up to you...

Also I find the hasbro handles way too thick :)

Justin

5. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    oops meant Rubies :)

6. master-kevin

master-kevin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    A site that you can go to is the big yellow box. They have great lightsabers that you can make.

7. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    yeah, that is the only place i know of. i am planning on making vader's saber soon. then i will make the double lightsaber but make some changes because i would want a different design the one on the big yellow box.

8. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    1. I prefer the 3/4" diameter acrylic blades. Cheap and durable. Yeah, they can break, but you gotta be whackin em pretty dern hard to do it (in other words you pretty much gotta be trying to break it).

2. usually around 3ft (36") long and 3/4" thick.

3. refer to the Wood Dowels thread for my way of fitting the blade for a home-made hilt (like the ones at big yellow box). I'm not sure about the rubies ones though.

4. Most people use a set screw to hold the blade in. That way you just have to untwist the screw a little and pull the blade out.

Any more questions, just PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.