main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Few Questions about Episode 4

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dave75, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave75

dave75 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005
    Hi, forgive me but I'm a newbie to the original trilogy.

When R2 and 3PO were sold to Owen Lars, why didn't he recognize them? And why did C3PO not recognize his home
    planet, and R2 recognize Obi-Wan or Owen? Where were they between Episode 3 and 4 anyway?

This was the first time I saw Episode 4 since seeing the original trilogy. In the rematch between Obi-Wan and Vader at the end of ANH, it seemed ObiWan went down VERY easily, a big disappointment after the climactic duel at the end of Episode 3. What gives? How could the old master just go down like that - it looked like he just gave up. I know Obi-Wan's older, but so is Vader. I remember thinking that for a guy who was half melted in Lava, he sure has a lot of physical strength (physically choking officer aboard Leia's ship)

Maybe I missed something, but how could Obi-Wan know that Vader was Anakin? At the end of the duel in Ep3 he left Anakin
    for dead on that lava world (if did not believe Anakin was dead, he would have finished him off right then and there since he was such a grave threat), so I can only assume that he would have heard of Darth Vader in the meantime and that Anakin actually revealed himself as Darth Vader to Obi-Wan at the end of Ep3 (maybe I missed that). Otherwise, Obi-Wan and Owen and the others must have assumed Anakin was dead.

Chewbaca was left on his planet after he rescued Yoda. How did he wind up on Tattoine with Han Solo and Jaba?? Did I miss Episode 3.5 somewhere?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Here we go again...

They were on the SAME SHIP at the end of Episode III that they were on at the beginning of Episode IV. Protocol droids and astromech droids are very common throughout the galaxy. They're like kitchen appliances are to us. Would you recognize a toaster you owned 20 years ago if it was painted a differnet color? Sure, 3PO speaks, and states his name - but there is an obvious pattern for protocol droid names (TC-14, for example), so there is bound to be some overlap. He never was around R2 enough to have any memory of him.

He did give up. That was the point. Did you pay attention to what was actually going on? He said "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." This, of course, is because he is able to retain his identity, just as Yoda stated that Qui-Gon would teach him how to do at the end of Episode III. Of course Vader has a lot of physical strength: his limbs are mechanical! They're made of steel!

You must have missed the whole part of the movie where Obi-Wan and Anakin go back into the Jedi Temple and watch the security recordings. Palpatine calls Anakin "Lord Vader," and then Yoda later refers to Anakin as "Darth Vader" as well. The official explanation for how he knew that Vader survived was that he saw a Holonet recording during one of his journies into Mos Eisley for supplies.

He had 19 years to move about the galaxy. Officially, the Empire enslaved the Wookiees on Kashyyyk immediately following the battle (the scene in which they are scouting the area implies this - as does the one on Utapau in which Tion Meddon and another native of Utapau are being marched away at gunpoint). Han rescues him, Chewie owes a life debt, they become friends.

Anyway, I'm quite sure there's a separate thread on all these subjects (perhaps with the exception of Chewie).

3. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    first, you know how owen regards obi-wan. you also know how he wants luke to work on the farm. if he does remember he would not admit it. but there is a chance that he doesnt. many droids look similar to each other. there are many r2 units and protocol droids.

threepio did not recognize anything because his memory was wiped at the end of ROTS. and maybe r2 did remember but we do not understand him. and threepio is always telling him to shut up and stop babbling and all that.

obi-wan let vader kill him as influence to luke and to become one with the force.

obi-wan had to know that anakin was still alive through the force. he would know if someone he was so close to died. and he knew vader was the emperor's apprentice. and so was anakin.

chewie obviously met han at some point and they became partners. theres hardly even a reason to answer that question.

4. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    thats not owen. owen died the same time as his father. that wizards just a crazy old man.

5. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    What do you mean?

Anyway here's the answers.

Owen looked at the droids as a few of millions of droids around the galaxy, a tool or appliance, a "toaster" of some sort. C3PO's memory was wiped out in ROTS, R2 was neither around Owen or Obi-Wan that long, or probably it was part of the plan to hide Luke from the Emperor. Captain Antilles, I presume, lost the droids to the owners that you will see if you have watched the DROIDS cartoons or read the DROIDS comic.

GTG, more answers to follow.

6. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Owen only saw 3po for 30 seconds in the entire OT. they are purchased and sent into the garage.that same day the droids are taken in with luke to clean and the next day he wakes up and they are not there. he gets killed and has no time to remember him. owen didnt have anytime to talk to c3po about anything else, if he had the time he would have remembered.

and c3po doesnt remember him because his memory was wiped. and R2d2 seemed to be saying something during the purchase of the droids but c3po would tell him to shut up and stop making up stories, so r2 could have said something and we know know.

7. Jandekian_Overlord

Jandekian_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    The obviously condescending retorts to dave75's inquiry are rater disturbing....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.