main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT A few questions about ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FartFace, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FartFace

FartFace Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2011
    The ion cannon that took out the Star Destroyer when they evacuated Hoth: why didn't they use those all the time?

Lobot: Did he once have circuitry covering most of his head, and he went bald?

If the Force is everywhere, is it in the toilet?

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes. However, some toilets are strong with the dark side.

3. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I just sithed my pants

4. FartFace

FartFace Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2011
    Seriously though, the ion cannon question was genuine. Why would they not use these to disrupt the Star Destroyers all the time? Perhaps they require too much power?

5. starkiller1980

starkiller1980 Jedi Knight

Jul 12, 2010
    These questions seem awfully BROWN to me. Like the Ice Castles of the Stallion.

But yeah, the Ion cannon took a lot of energy to run, and it disabled starcraft, not doing any real damage.

6. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Those ones tend to get backed up a lot.

7. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Well, for a start I don't think the ION cannon was exactly mobile. It was set up as a defence base weapon and probably wasn't capable of being set up on a ship. Also it would only short circuit a ship temporarily so wouldn't have singlehandedly won the war for the Rebels.

8. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Oh okay, since you want serious answers, in order:

1. The empire is said to have them on star destroyers in a bunch of books an comics. The rebellion had them in very limited qualities. We're never told why, but I would hazard a guess that it would have something to do with the empires control over the military-industrial corporations of the galaxy. Some tech the rebels got, some they didnt, such as the X Wings. They got those when Incom defected. Maybe something similar did not happen with ion cannon tech. There is also notes in the various source material that the did indeed consume a lot of power and that they really weren't all that effective on professional military capitol ships as Damage Control personnel could relatively easily reboot the ship for lack of a better term. Good if your enemy isn't expecting it, gets a you a quick reprieve but thats about it. The other thing to remember is that the Empire always threw large fleets and task forces at its engagements. With a squadron of star destroyers taking out one or two temporarily really wouldnt turn the tide all that much. If you look through the timelines, large scale fleet engagements a la WW2 pacific battles were very rare.

2. No, the circuitry was implanted when he arrived on bespin as a stowaway. Part of his sentencing/conviction by the administrator at the time was something like 15 years of servitude to the cloud city administration. They never say what in the stories or comics but apparently he had some good office/admin sensibility and this was augmented by the implants.

3. Yes, and the urinal as well!

9. FartFace

FartFace Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2011
    I'm on to you, starkiller1980!

It was only the ion cannon question that was really serious. Good answers though! I now understand why they didn't use them all the time.

10. gobalicious

gobalicious Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2010
    There are no toilets in Star Wars because no one poops. In addition to their role in mediating the Force, Midichlorians inhabit the bowels, converting all fecal matter to gas such that it continuously seeps out the anus.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Supposedly the Death Star had ion cannons. I think this may also have been mentioned in Darksaber.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "What a wonderful smell you've discovered!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.