main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A few questions about GL and his involvement...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Seagoat, May 8, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't know if this warrants its own thread, but there is no "General questions" thread right now for the ST section, so I've created this.

Anyway, I know that Lucas has written the "story treatments" for the ST episodes, but what exactly does this mean? How in-depth do they go? And most importantly - do the writers and directors of the ST have to follow them, or not?

As for Lucas a creative consultant, what exactly is his role here?

Please excuse my stupidity, btw :p

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    My guess: The final SW7 script will be a combination of Arndt, Lucas and JJs ideas. Now how involved he is in the movie might be up for debate since he has said that he wants to retire and SW7 is in good hands so there might not be such a huge need for him. Its all up to him I guess.
    Also they dont have to follow it. He's not the boss anymore so they can do whatever the heck they want now.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  3. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    A creative consultant in practice means he will have almost nothing to do with the movies.

As regards his story treatments Disney has the rights to this franchise now and they do not have to follow his story treatments.

4. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Story treatments are basically like a short summary of what will end up being the script. From what I gather (according to Businessweek), it was part of the Disney contract that they have to follow Lucas' treatments. Obviously the writers can put in their own content, such as the dialogue, etc, but the plot still has to follow the treatment. Creative consultant is basically an expert that the movie makers can go to to ask questions to make sure they're making something more authentic.

5. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    In the reply of Corvax855 CAN is the magic word in can go to Lucas for advice it does not mean they will.

6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Is there a source stating that following the Lucas story was part of the contract?

7. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    I may be wrong but I think Lucas presented the treatments as part of the deal but I don't think they have to use them.

8. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    http://www.businessweek.com/article...-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars
    It should be on page 4 of the article. Lucas says: "Ultimately you have to say, ‘Look, I know what I’m doing. Buying my stories is part of what the deal is."

JainaSoloYJK and Seagoat like this.
  9. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I think Lucas will have a bigger say than we think in these movies. Look at TCW cartoon show, if you watch those clips - you can see Lucas still had a alot of involvement. That was before he sold, but Kathline Kennedy still values Lucas's opinion. And in the end, it is his world that he created...

That is why i dont have all too high confidence in the ST..

-C

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That just means that the treatments were part of the package, they now belong to Disney. Disney is in control of the project.

11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Wait wait, you're saying you have low confidence in the ST because Lucas probably will influence it a lot, or probably won't influence it a lot?
    Sorry, hard to tell what you meant, especially when there's a fanbase as split as SW's

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    This isn't Die Hard 10 or whatever they're up to now. It's Star Wars. Everyone involved will have tremendous pressure on them and I'm sure they will seek out Lucas as much as they can.

If the first movie does well then they may feel more comfortable being "independent".

13. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Lucas is still co-chairman of the board of Lucasfilm for the time being.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    He's transitioning out of Lucasfilm, he has stated that pretty clearly

15. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    It's anyone's guess how "in-depth" Lucas' story treatments are but I am sure they will follow them as close as they can..

Corvax855 and Jedirush2112 like this.
  16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    JJ said no Jar Jar......

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  17. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Unfortunately, this will be how it is with the GL haters: if the ST is successful it will be successful despite GL's treatments, and if the ST is not successful it will fail because they had to follow GL's treatments.

18. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Thats kinda how it is with MOS. Snyder gets the blame if its bad, Nolan gets credit if its good. So I guess that might mean if SW7 is good JJ will get the credit but if it fails Lucas will get the blame. Sad but kinda true.

19. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I'm saying more George = more like the PT = disappointing.

-C

20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I've never had a problem with George's involvement. Especially since he is 'The Maker'. I think he's the great, big, theme, idea man. And the vision...the visual representation is astounding. HE IS A GENIUS...no doubt about it. I love him as creative consultant for clarification and authenticity, baby. Issues with GL were always dialogue and other voices/opinions helping to flush out the best possible product originating from his vision. I think this is the best of both worlds and we couldn't be any luckier as fans to have this situation arise. Now, this all depends on whether the film is any good or not!

More George is more SW, but with other input and perspectives. This may be why GL decided to continue the franchise by selling. To force other voices to come out and collaborate. He may have found that the PT situation was difficult. Difficult for others to presume to know better about SW. Who's going to tell him? Now people can feel some room to talk. Feel a little freer to exercise their opinions. I think it's ALL GOOD, BABY!

21. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Unless it was in the contract!
    :oops:

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It was not in the contract, Disney, or anyone else for that matter, would not spend that kind of money on a title they don't control. All parties have been very clear on this, Disney is in the driver's seat. Now, Lucas has stated that part of the reason he was willing to make the deal was that he trusted Disney with the property, and that it looks like they will let Kennedy and crew run the operation. But make no mistake over who owns the title, or what they can and can't do with it.

23. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    If you honestly believe that George Lucas wouldn't have an iron clad contract, no matter how much he 'trusts' someone you would be sadly mistaken.

For the love of the Force he only allowed Iger to read his treatments after he made him jump through hoops to do so. After all this is a man who was shrewd enough to own the rights to any and all additional movies way back at the beginning. This is also the same man who pocketed a very healthy chunk of the merchandising profits since 1977. Yeah Lucas and his team of lawyers know exactly what they are doing.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the deal was only signed because Lucas contractually bound Disney to use his treatments.

Corvax855 likes this.
  24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

You have no idea what you're talking about. This was a sale. The rights over control of the property is what Disney wanted. Lucas is retiring from big movies. This was him cashing out of the game and walking away. People just don't want to accept it, and Lucas isn't hiding the fact. He'd tell you himself. They have all been very open about all of this. Lucas sold his control. Disney does not need his permission to do anything going forward. They paid a lot of money for that right.

Fans have been in a state of denial over this. The next movies, and everything about them, are in the hands of the mouse.

25. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I've a bit of a silly question that I'd like an answer to

if he's going to be Kennedy's "Yoda on her shoulder" as she put it, would that mean that lightsaber colours would retain their red, blue, green and purple status,

or will different colours be added?