main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A few questions about GL and his involvement...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Seagoat, May 8, 2013.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Have a quote or link? Thanks.

Corax78 likes this.
  2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I have posted several on this thread, here is one of them

We have complete creative control -- over the name of the movie, how it's made, what's in it.

Now, does that sound like conditional creative control to you?

3. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Fair enough, will peruse those.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Guys, I think the problem here is that some of you are assuming that "clauses in George's favor" means "creative clauses". It could just mean that Disney has to honor Kathy Kennedy's contract or things like that. Maybe it means that Disney can't alter the old films at all without Lucas, but it's pretty clear that as far as any new films are concerned they "have unfettered rights to [Star Wars and Lucasfilm's other properties] going forward. We have complete creative control -- over the name of the movie, how it's made, what's in it." Not a lot of grey area or room for interpretation there. My 2 cents.

Corax78 and Jcuk like this.
  5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    At any rate, welcome to the brave new world of Star Wars according to focus groups and audience polling.

Put some pants on the Wookiee!

6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    These are good points.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    In his past work the "story treatment" has been dozens(?) of free form pages on yellow notepad, handwritten.

If you've never read an actual script they have a very set formal format to them, which helps the director plan out the shooting pace and sets in addition to containing the dialog. So that process alone takes time, let alone flushing out the plot.

8. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    [​IMG]As you can see Disney has safely filed Lucas treatments in a very safe place.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  9. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I know, let's have a committee review the scripts. That way they can be completely scoured of any creeping originality.

SeinEwigerSchatten likes this.
  10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay, if Disney has full control now, does it mean they can go back and change things in the previous films? Or did GL stipulate that in the no clauses? I mean, if they have full control, what exactly does that mean for the older films?

11. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    If only Lucas had listened to his advisors on ANH. He doesn't care that he introduced children to a world of Wookiees and their junk!

SeinEwigerSchatten likes this.
  12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I think Pro Scoundrel's post does a good job of addressing that... we don't know for sure, but it seems likely that the old ones are off limits while the creative control they have is mostly in relation to the new movies.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Disney does not hold the distribution rights to the first six films. 20th Century Fox does. They will revert to Disney in 2020. Except for ANH, which 20th century Fox holds indefinitely. So, as of now Disney can't do much of anything with those titles unless they deal with Fox.

14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I've heard this a lot, and I have no reason to doubt it, but can anyone provide a link to 'for sure' it?

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

16. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Thanks!!!

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    no problem

18. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    This is the reason there are no more 3D releases. In terms of changing the other films as Disney sees fit, this is where I believe Lucas got clauses in the contract to stop that from happening.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    All that means is that the rights they have are absolute. I huge company CEO speaks like a lawyer sometimes. Iger wants you to think that, but if the contract leaked, and he were called on these statements, he would clearify, and the result would be that he/Disney would honor the agreement made, and the rights and power that the agreement outlined would be enforced.

Its not that he is lying when he says that, he's just not telling the whole truth.

Corax78 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I think there may be some chest-beating going on in there too, in the way Iger says what he says in that quote.

Corax78 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Precisely what I discerned from the tone, as well.

Corax78, eht13 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    There is a lot of denial on this board

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, I know what level of control they have, because it has been made public knowledge through several mediums. But, the tone really is "alpha dog" barking for the sake of (justifiably so) promoting Disney Supremacy.

Sum-Wan, Corax78 and eht13 like this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've been very critical of the prequels but I hope Lucas has a lot of input into these sequels , I think he's really quite brilliant in terms of writing stories , he just needs help in the final stages of dramatisation / execution .

Bob Octa likes this.
  25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

They just shelled out four billion, share holders are going to want assurances.