main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A few questions...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JackHyde, Feb 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHyde

JackHyde Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2002
    Hello everybody, my first post on the boards, so excuse me for being an annoying newbie. I hope this is the right forum, if not...well...sorry. :p

I've got a solid plot synopsis for a novel set in the SW Expanded Universe, which I'm currently developing into a fully fledged book. However, as the final draft will be around the length of SoTE, I would kind of like it to be more than just fan fiction, and I was wondering if there was any sort of 'seal of approval' or official board I could submit my novel to, to make it an official part of the SW saga. I'm sure many people have gone down this road before, but have hope, everyone has to start somewhere. :)

Secondly, to achieve this I'd need to have everything in my story to tie in with the current expanded universe, however, I have neither the time or money to read every single publication. I've heard rumours that there's a compendium that all the writers have to read before their books are published, to ensure their plots don't contradict previous novels. Is this true and how would I go by obtaining a copy?

Thanks for your time, excuse my niavety, I dearly want my story to be a part of the SW universe and I thought this would be the best place to find out information.

Jack Hyde

2. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    there is no possible way for a fanfic author's book to acheive officialdom... only LFL may determine officialdom... and this isnt an official site either.

3. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    To put it bluntly you have zero chance of ever getting something official with your story. People only write SW by invitation and only if they are already published.

For the rest I rest I'm not to giving those issues the space they deserve. I'll let someone else do it.

4. JackHyde

JackHyde Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2002
    How did Kevin J Anderson or Timothy Zahn go about getting their books published then? Sent them of the LFL? What channels would I have to go through to obtain an address?

5. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    It has been said that LFL / Del Rey do not accept outside solicitations of works. They hire authors who have established and distinguished themselves in the field through other publishings. So, basically, you have get published and get noticed to write Star Wars.

Best of luck!
    ;)

6. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    LFL and then BDD invited Zahn and KJA and then stories were discussed, contracts signed, outlines submitted for approvel and then they began to write.

If you're aren't invited and you submit something to DR or LFL it will not be looked it. I would think it would go straight to the trash without a second thought.

7. JackHyde

JackHyde Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2002
    Thanks for your help guys, guess I'll just have to publish it as fan fiction and see where that takes me.

8. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    where are you gonna post it ????

9. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Of course if you have previous published work in respected magazines, or other books, or have had a career in editing for major publishing company, you can solicit short stories to gamer for consideration. But gamer has the right to accept or deny publication in the magazine. Once they deny something it stays in realms of being fanfic again.

10. JackHyde

JackHyde Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2002
    Well, I've posted some of my work on other websites with fairly good response, but I've never had the opportunity to publish something in print. Here's a chapter from a story I was asked to write for a game mod (the game was later abbandoned unfortunatly, the development team went on the bigger and better things.) Bare in mind I did write this a couple of years ago, my writing style has significantly changed since then (for the better I hope).

The Tides of War

edit: oops..forgot your question Gr-Adm-Thrawn. It all depends on what format I decide to post it. If I choose to post each chapter as I write it, you should see the first chapter in a matter of weeks, however if I decide to write it all, don't expect to see it untill late summer. Any advice from people who have published story's in this way?

11. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    My advice would be for the admins to close this thread, and for you to go to the FanFic forum. There are lots of great stories there, and you can get an idea of how to post your story and advice from other writers.

12. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    So, basically, you have get published and get noticed to write Star Wars.

Thats what I am trying to accomplish, with my peice of work, I get to taek 3 hours off of school everyday to work on it!

13. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I hope that what you're trying to do is get your own work published. If you're a real writer, you should want to get your own stories published, and expand the literary world with your own work, not simply write Star Wars stories.

14. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I am, actually my novel takes a look at religiose fanaticism and athism.

Please dont correct my spelling...

15. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I won't because you asked; but if you want to be looked at as a credible and intelligent author, you really should work on it. (And accept correction when you get it; if you have a publishing schedule, you must have an editor, and I know they give you grammatical and spelling corrections all the time.)

Secondly, where can I get info on your book? It sounds interesting, but I cannot find it online. Who is your publisher?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.