main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL A few questions....

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthJurist, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Some questions for the Chicago Force Jedi Council:

What are the plans for the DVD party?

What?s up with WindyCon?

When is the next public meeting?

What are the plans for seeing AOTC on IMAX? Is there going to be an official CF group event? There are other clubs thinking of coming to the area, are we going to work with them, or just do our own thing?

According to the website at the last JC meeting, the ?future expansion of Chicago Force? was discussed. What the heck does that mean?

~H~

PS. Yes, I know I could have emailed this to the jedi list, but I think there are a few people here that would like to know the answers to these questions. Of course, if I?m the only one curious, I?ll just crawl back down in my hole and watch the TTT trailer over?. and over.. and over? :)

edit/markup

2. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    The plans for the DVD party are still in flux. With the DVD release sandwiched between WindyCon and FilmCon, we're looking at December and making it our Holiday event.

We are planning a room party at WindyCon with a Trash Compactor theme. Still hammering out the details. We're aiming at having a public meeting at WindyCon.

We were discussing Navy Pier on November 2 for a CF gathering for the IMAX release.

Hazmatt wrote the meeting blurb, but I remember we talked about increasing our awareness at the IMAX release, handing out business cards, etc.

Phil

3. R2-EF-U

R2-EF-U Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    Thank You, Darth Jurist for looking out for the little folk. Hey, Phil you wonder why I am so hostile. Here you are in the Jedi inner circle while us peons don't even know what is being discussed. The Counsel has great resources in it?s current members but the cousel is to busy being the ?idea man?. Did you ever really ask yourself: Why did other counsel members trully quit than disappear from the boards?

For example: Is Amber Eyes part of the Counsel? She single handedly is one of our great supporters (physically). She has been to more events this past year than anyone else. How about Schph_Gochi? She wants to be a big part of the Chicago Fan Force if you don?t see that on the boards than please wake up and smell the Jawa Juice.

"My Rant is over" {The Droid R2-EF-U has spoken}

4. NOT_JediJeff

NOT_JediJeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    WOW!!! Someone who's almost as big an @ss as myself.

You wanna get married or something?

5. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, and to paraphrase you at the meeting at Dave's house, Heather, we've have a pretty bad case of Real Life lately. Matt's been without a PC for a couple of weeks now. I have been frantically trying to find gainful employment before all my sources of cash run out in the next couple of weeks, other people have had issues closer to home...............it's been one of those months.

We had talked about getting together at Navy Pier, but as of the last meeting, we weren't sure they were even getting it. By the time the announcement hit, all this other crap was going on. I think the news item for the Video Scavenger Hunt is about to go out.

And not to make a rebuttal rant, but it's 1 AM, I haven't slept in 20 hours, and this is as close to drunk as I get. So if I wake up in the morning and regret this, I'll at least have something in common with those that imbibe the fiery spirits.

I've been feeling a little burnt out lately. Maybe it's just my continued unemployment, but it's spilling over into my hobbies now. This may be the case with other people, because it seems like it's harder and harder to get people actually OUT to the activities that get planned. Ray put a lot of effort into the paintball thing, and we only had 12 people show up, and 3 of those were friends that people brought along. If everyone shows up that RSVP'd, we'll only have 10 people, the bare minimum for the group rate, at the East Troy Museum tomorrow. There just seems to be a general waning of interest, and it's hard to plan outings when no one shows up.

OK, OK, paintball is not for everyone and, well, maybe a train museum isn't either. Are we planning the wrong type of events?

Maybe it's just the post-movie slide. It took a lot of energy (and money), and maybe people just want to take a break. There has been a lack of attendance at most events, including the "regulars". I mean, I can't remember the last time I saw Richie.....sorry, I mean R2-EF-U out at an event.

I dunno. There seems to be quite a bit of interest for the Video Scavenger Hunt and of course the DVD party. I just think September was a bad month for everyone. October should be much better.

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Once again, I preface this with...."I am new here and don't know hardly anyone"

tossing in my two credits.....

I can sympathize with both sides of this coin. In many of the things I do in my "real life"....I am the "one in charge" and it is exhausting....there is always interest...but it usually fails at the last minute and I end up up to my butthole in doing everything. I bitch and complain about the same things in my other pursuits...no one comes out and really does anything. So much of my life is spoken for months in advance and I find myself giving up things that I WANT to do for things that I feel I HAVE to do. I really WANT to do more with Chicago Force but those things that I HAVE to do usually get in the way.

As usual with me also...I end up in the wrong place and at the wrong time. I went to the filming at Big Wigs...but it was the week AFTER everyone else was there. I could only go to one of the Cons...I chose Film Con rather than Windy Con...and it looks like Windy Con is now the Con of choice and the Con of the meeting...but I can't change my vacation request.....I am not at the train museum today because I am being "dusted off" for the 25th Anniversary of a car club that I helped start in 1977. Most of my Saturdays and Sundays through January are already spoken for.....

as they say....
    Reality Bites.......
    :(
    I bow to the "powers that be"...I have been in your seat in most of my "other life" pursuits....
    I bow to the "peons"....as I also occupy your seat in this forum.....

I vow to make whatever event I can....but once again....reality may kick my *ss for the Video Scavenger hunt if my sister finally decides that weekend will be a good time to come in for a visit from Utah....I think she will end up a little p'od if the one time I get to see her all year I blow her off to do something else....

I have requested a vacation day for Friday, November 1st if that is the day that Chicago Force and the other groups plan to see AOTC at the IMAX.....(once again....there is that sisterly visit looming....I wish she would decide on a date already)...if not Nov. 1...then I am trying to hold November 2nd open.

On the IMAX note....I have called the Addison IMAX on several occasions and only got phone droids...The last call I made was friday afternoon....got past the phone droid to someones voice mail...left a message asking that the person call me at work on Monday.

Hope to see you all soon....

7. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    Gochi, you won't be disappointed in Filmcon so don't be sorry in picking that over WindyCon. I couldn't make the trip today either for several reasons; Sunday's really aren't good for me for doing events, car giving me problems, and this is the weekend between paydays.

As for the council, I'd rather be a supporter than a "leader". Every group needs more supporters than leaders. I'm happy where I am.

Addendum: And Gochi, if your sister comes in when we're doing something, drag her along.

8. Rex_Karrde

Rex_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Hmmmmmm... This is a good subject. I'm speaking for myself and not the rest of the Chicago Force Jedi Consul.

Sorry to Schph_Gochi and all the other new & old members in this board, I know that all this rubbish doesn?t look good, but is just really bad timing.

All this different plans that are in the making; ?Scavenger Hunt, Imax, Vader Tour, WindyCON, FilmCON, DVD party?, etc. takes lots of time, lots of planning & lots of waiting. (Heather, ?DarthJurist? you know how bad it can really get sometimes)

We apologize for not informing you guys about the updates, but if we don?t have a confirmation, we can?t announce anything.

"There just seems to be a general waning of interest, and it's hard to plan outings when no one shows up" - ?HazMatt? We put a lot of effort in every event, and it is really disappointing that after we spend all this energy and time, all we get is just a little support (but it does not stop us) We are still planning and going places. In the past two events, we had lot?s of people that backed out at the last minute (we don?t blame them, we are all humans) we still went to the events and had a blast.

Heather, you are right, and we will work on it (our comunication with the rest of the members) Just please be patient and work with us. Things have not been going right this last month, and like I said is just bad timing.
    R2-EF-U, there is no ?Jedi Inner Circle? is just a planning committee. And if you are not going to say anything costructive, you are in the wrong board. We do recognise everybody that support us, they are there more than you are. Maybe if you start coming to our events, you will get some recognition also. "By the way, I think you need to wake up and smell the Jawa Juice".

9. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Communication is vital to the smooth running of Chicago Force but, as has been pointed out, is largely futile until we have confirmed details about events. If this seems like the membership is being kept in the dark, it isn't meant that way. We do listen to all comments, whether they be complaints, praise, or suggestions.

HazMatt brought up a good point: maybe the events we've had lately aren't your thing. So... if you have an idea for an event, please share it! If you have a question, ask... a complaint? Tell us! Bring it up here on the FanForce boards (though not in a rant *looking at R2-EF-U*) or via e-mail to any or all of us.

Also, I believe (and any of the crew that made it to East Troy can confirm or deny this) that the regular monthly CF Jedi meetings will now be open to all Chicago Force members, held on the second Saturday of every month (barring disaster) at varying locations around the city and suburbs. So this would be another way to make your voice heard among Chicago Force. :D

10. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    lol....
    drag my sister along....I just got a mental picture of my sister at the line up for the IMAX for AOTC......she would never do it....she just doesn't get Star Wars and my whole fascination with Star Wars....
    ...and one of these days on one of her visits...I am afraid she will put me in the "laughing academy"....no need to let her see me in costume and convince her that NOW would be a good time to have me put away! I have to stay mobile until after Episode III!
    :D

11. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I don't think it is too productive to call one person on the carpet for what is or is not a miscommunication issue, especially when one is the sock of the group in question. Play nice.

12. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Dunno, I would come to more events if they were nearer, but when they're in the city, and South of the city, it's like impossible to get there. I just got my license on July 2nd of this year, there's no way I could drive myself into the city/past the city yet.

I'm not whining, but sometimes I feel I get a lot of crap about never coming to an event (understandably so, I guess [face_plain] ) but I'm a high school Junior taking two classes at Harper College plus normal high school classes plus basketball practice plus social stuff with my other friends, plus church, plus work... It's a lot, okay? [face_plain]
    Sorry about my tone, but I seem to get a lot of annoying responses/quips from different CFers at times (notably Thom if I ever IM him when he's online).

If we have an event at in the NW suburbs area, I'll definitely see if I can make it.

...Just thought I'd share my feelings.

13. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    R2-EF-U, chill out.

Second, thanks to all the Council members that chimed in, I really appreciate it. :)

I totally understand about re-life taking precedence over this or any other type of social event. And you are guys are doing a good job of planning a variety of events.

What prompted the above post was my concern about communication, and the veil of silence that surrounds the operation this group. Even just a few sentences about upcoming events every month to let us know what you are working on would be great. I for one don?t mind getting ?status-updates? rather than waiting for the final plans.

As for attendance, that?s been a long term problem, but my personal view is that if you get more people involved in planning, then more people will show up for events because they will be more invested in the event.

My suggestion to help address both the communication and attendance problems: monthly updates to the email list and ideally here. It may not cure the inevitable post-movie release drop-off, but I think it might help.

I?ll be at Windy Con (unless there are plans to turn me into bantha fodder ;)), I hope be at Film Con, I?m planning on attending the Video party, and will likely show up at an IMAX showing. I can?t make it to the meeting/video event on the 19th because I?ve got a wedding to attend.

Maybe I?m overestimating the wants/needs of our group. Only four regular members have responded to this thread, so it?s also possible that I have overestimated the numbers and level of interest in our club. Maybe I?m just suffering from withdrawal from being on the jedi list where I could see all the endless discussion and debate about every little detail of every event. Maybe I need a cookie. Who knows.

~H~

ps: Sithman, the reason you may be getting the cold shoulder is that we don't really know you. Many of the people posting here have met frequently in person, so we know each other's moods and general intentions. (ie, they know I'm just being my usual pain-in-the-eopie self regarding details). However, we have not had the pleasure of meeting you to get a better feel for you as a person. What's presented here (my own assessment) is a high schooler that likes to leave notes on stranger's doors late at night and seems to enjoy being the seen as a 'devilish prankster'. I know that you are trying to make it to events, and hopefully we'll be able to get to know you better in the near future. FYI: WindyCon is held in Schaumburg, which should be somewhat close to you.

edit/spelling & clarity

14. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Monthly e-mail updates are a good thing, and Matt Springer mentioned the same idea to me yesterday. Another thing that has been implemented in the last two weeks is a new feature on the website, so that whenever an update is posted, it goes out to the e-mail list. The problem is, there haven't BEEN any website updates since this was activated, so no one knows about it yet. I'm going to have to take the webmaster downstairs and beat the ever-lovin' crap out of him.....

Oh, and Heather, I made a double-batch of oatmeal/chocalate-chip last night, and have the dough is still sitting in the fridge, waiting for a worthy host. C'mon down. :)

(goes back to beating the webmaster)

15. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Beatings bad...

Cookies good....

Or there's always ice cream..

[image=http://www.bhra.org/Lady%20Eating%20Ice%20Cream.jpg]

I love that picture. That and the "Viking Overlord" Kitten. Gets me every time.

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "What's presented here (my own assessment) is a high schooler that likes to leave notes on stranger's doors late at night and seems to enjoy being the seen as a 'devilish prankster'."

Oh geez, I should never have done that. Forget it. [face_plain]

Goodbye everyone.

17. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    What sock?

Anyway, I will chime in - life happens. It has happened to me as it has happened to everyone who has posted, and many that have not. I have not had the time in the past few months to put towards anything but my family. That's just how it goes. I read the emails and comment when I can, but even getting to a meeting is just not an option for me. It's nothing against the group at all, just that 3 people come before CF. I'm sure you all understand.

Here's what I know - DVD/Christmas party is being held out in the Plainfield/Joliet area sometime in Dec. We have a good 2 months to plan it, so while the time is there, we should nail a date down in the next couple weeks.

WindyCon - I really don't know much on that. I'm sure I will not be attending the party, and maybe I'll make it to the con. It's not on my high priority list since I will not have the time to help. My son's birthday is the 4th, so more than likely his party will be that weekend. It's nothing against CF, WindyCon or anyone - it's just that when I have other issues or plans, I don't think nor retain any info about other things. Just who I am.

AOTC IMAX. I am the liasion for CF and the 501st/RebelLegion, I guess. From what I can tell so far, being that I haven't read many boards the past couple weeks, MG/MB do not have firms plans on their theatre invasion yet. So far, Addison is confirmed and Navy Pier is all but offical, yet the MG/MB haven't made their final plans yet. The moment I hear something, you will hear something.

Public meeting. Hell - I should make it to a JC meeting first! :)

Okay - that's all. Issues/questions? Just hit my name and snag my email address, then type me up something.

18. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    OK, communication is key for this club....s'truth mate. Hazmatt said it best, many of us here at CFHQ have been smacked in the face with REAL LIFE, and of course we are facing the the space in between movies space...the dark times..what I like to call the "Star Wars Doldrums".

But that's no excuse for poor communications. Chicago Force will be sure to innundate our loyal members with tons of news and updates in the next few weeks as the Fall Events approach at us at lightspeed.

19. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    FYI people, the Rebel Legion and the 501st
    are two SEPARATE groups. Some individuals
    may belong to both but they are separate
    groups.

*steps down off soapbox*

20. R2-EF-U

R2-EF-U Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    Well, I would like to state my sincerest apologize to those that found my statements offensive. I?m just a dirty old holy sock that is speaking out of my hole. So, please when you see this Droidian old sock post something don?t take it seriously that?s why I have another screen name for, this one is just to talk out of my hole with, Okay?

Thank you for your continued support

Wipe of brow inner thought ?Ha, I just pulled another fast one over on these Jedi Yahoos. Them and their Jedi Mind Tricks. Ha! More like they're full of Jedi @&*# Trix?

21. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Silly droid, Trix are for kids.

22. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    F-U: ummm.... :)

Femme: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Trix.

Others: I don't know if this was brought up, but there was an issue with the CF mailing list. Most of it has been recovered, but it couldn't hurt if you all went back to the main page and reentered your info. That way, if you don't get something, you can say, and if you miss out, well......

<<edit #2 - fixing links>>

23. Rex_Karrde

Rex_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    JJ, thanx for the mailing list up-date.

R2-EF-U, shut yer hole... :::with thick Scotish accent:::

24. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Jeff, was that Trix soundwave from the Green Jelly CD?

25. Bobafemme

Nov 25, 2000
    Does CF have a book club? Or do people really need to fly to Mpls for one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.