main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A Flashback To Explain Things

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RSarnecky, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSarnecky

RSarnecky Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    I was wondering, with Ben Solo having turned to the Dark Side, should there be a flashback in Episode 8 where you see Luke, Leia, and Han together, along with what happened to cause Ben to turn? Unlike with Anakin, I don't believe that there is enough juice to the Kylo-Ren character that would demand a whole prequel movie to explain what led to Ben rejecting the Light Side of the Force. I think for the story to advance for 2 more movies, his reasoning needs to be addressed early in Ep 8. Maybe have Luke explain to Rey what happened with Ben (accompanied by the flashback footage). Any thoughts?

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  2. EvacuateMomentofTriumph

EvacuateMomentofTriumph Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    You don't need a flashback. Then didn't do it in New Hope when Ben explained things to Luke. And the movie was fine.

TheOneX_Eleazar and EviL_eLF like this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You don't need a flashback. We are told by the words of Han and Leia about their son as well as the look on Han's face when he sees his son hauling Rey away. Nice bit of acting there from Harrison. Also when he confronts Ben in person on the gantry. His best role in years and years. Maybe around 20 years? When was Air Force One?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. The Grace of the Force

The Grace of the Force Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015

Absolutely, at least within dialogue. You can't just throw Han and Leia's evil (for lack of a better word) son in our face with no explanation

5. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Yeah you can. They just did. It was a great movie.

Seeher, EviL_eLF and ShaneP like this.
  6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't understand people sometimes. It's like they think films need to be scientific treatises. We need explanations! You got them. Well…we need other ones!

CnlSandersdeKFC likes this.
  7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Wars is a fairy tail. They don't go into a lot of exposition on back story, they usually just tell the story, or just the important bits, and move on.

Remember how little backstory we got in ANH? Just vague references to the Clone Wars and the fall of the Jedi. There wasn't a need for any more than that.

ShaneP likes this.
  8. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    The difference between Vader in ANH though and Rylo in TFA, is that when ANH came out, it was a whole new universe to the audience. We had no connections to the Skywalkers and Vader was simply a bland bad guy. However, over the course of the OT and PT, we really came to know the Skywalkers and their history. We care about these characters and their family. To drop us straight in the middle of this conflict with no backstory, whatsoever, with a new Skywalker, who we have never met before, who has turned, is just so sudden. The lack of back story doesn't work like it did in ANH. The PT and OT have been established as the backstory. This is just really sudden and needs explanation. That said, there's no way we won't get a complete explanation by Episode 9. We don't need a flashback, but we DO need more concrete details. There probably will be flashbacks though.

Gobi-1 likes this.
  9. RSarnecky

RSarnecky Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    We got little back story in the original trilogy, BUT we saw the reasoning behind Vader's turn in the prequels. It made Vader more sympathetic when looking back at the series as a whole, because he originally joined to save his wife's life. Whereas, with Ben, we are yet to find out the reason. Right now, I don't hate the Kylo-Ren character. A five minute backstory would do a lot to have us hate him more than just because he killed his dad, if they show us he was always jealous and looking to take short cuts, being vain, etc...

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Obviously more important details will get revealed along the way... that's how stories work... but come on... this is no different than ANH. Everything about Star Wars' situations at the beginning of a trilogy is sudden.

11. The Grace of the Force

The Grace of the Force Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015

Yeah it was a great movie, but I thought Ben was a lousy character.

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I thought of that while watching. I think Luke explaining it is fine. We don't need it done in (separate) movie form though (outside this trilogy).

13. EvacuateMomentofTriumph

EvacuateMomentofTriumph Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    The prequels were like 20 years after the original. I think the backstory would be kind of corny. Like Ben stealing the keys to the landspeeder to go partying at night and then Han Solo yelling at him the next day saying he's grounded. Leaving it up to the imagination is much more powerful.

Maythe14thBeWithYou and ShaneP like this.
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

He was lousy. But he was great at it. So we agree but also differ. ;)

EvacuateMomentofTriumph, god your comment not only made me laugh but I immediately thought of JJ's own Trek 09 where little Kirk steals the car!

lol.

Han: Little Ben! Gentle Ben! Come back here! That's my Corellian convertible!

15. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011

It's hard to explain why, but this IS different, and I feel like the backstory will b explained much further here than in the OT. We won't get prequels, but I think the explanation will be more clear this time around. At least, as to WHY there is a "First Order" and why Ben turned. Besides that, we don't need much.

16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I think you will be disappointed if you think you'll get more of a "why" there's a first order. I think the fact that the first order rose out of the ashes of the Empire is about all we're going to get. We'll get a why Ren turned, or is trying to turn, and we'll get a who is Snoke etc... but the first order, I think we got about all we're going to get already.

17. Drewdude91

May 21, 2011
    Yeah. it seems like it's a remnant. Also, seems restricted to a particular region and growing, as we haven't even SEEN the New Republic yet.

18. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    lol the hardness I've laughed at someone in the past few days was when someone on here was complaining about not know who the chancellor of the NEw Republic is, and they faulted the movie for not knowing that. I was like... "What? The Chancellor isn't even mentioned in the movie. Whoever they aren't important obviously."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.