main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Fork in the Road (JA AU Obi/Qui) *****Updated 12/03/07******

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lady_Ebony, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Ebony

Lady_Ebony Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2006
    Hello Everyone! I stumbled upon these boards a while ago and have fallen in love with many of the great stories here. After much debating, I finally decided to try my hand at some fiction. It is pretty much going to take the entire JA series and throw it out the window. I am not going to give anymore information than that, as I do not want to spoil the story. I am the only one who has done any editing on this, so please feel free to let me know what needs work I hope you enjoy!

**********************************************************************************************

?Master Jinn? You may enter the chambers now,? Melin Nadik, a timid, young Padawan addressed the elder master standing in the reception area just outside the Council Chambers. The acting Padawan aide to the Council shifted slightly from foot to foot as the imposing Master before her continued to look out the window, seemingly having not heard her announcement. Unsure of whether or not she should repeat herself, or if she just needed to be patient, the girl fidgeted again, pulling at the sleeve of her tunic. Normally, the young aide would not hesitate to speak up again; however, the man before her seemed weary, as though some great burden rested on his shoulders. She truly wasn?t sure if she should interrupt his reverie, but the Council did need to be kept on schedule. Finally, just as she was about to repeat her announcement, the venerated Master turned slowly from the window and gave a quick nod to the girl before heading towards the chambers.

Halting briefly before the grand doors of the Council chamber, Qui-Gon took a deep breath and braced himself for what he knew was going to be yet another battle with the twelve Jedi just beyond the doors. Granted, it would be nothing new: he had been branded a maverick long ago for his spats with the Council. Yet, something told the tall Jedi that this was not going to be like any argument he had ever had before. His feelings were confirmed when he finally entered the chamber.

Qui-Gon stopped just two steps inside the great doors when he noticed that instead of a full assembly, he was only facing Yoda, Mace Windu, Adi Gala, and Yaddle. Mace noticed the hesitation of his long time comrade and motioned for his friend to come and take his normal position in the center of the large domed room. As he stepped forward, Qui-Gon felt a lump form in his stomach. Something was not right. Not only was this situation unnerving to the older Jedi, but the Force itself seemed to be screaming at him about something. It was almost like his life-long ally was angry at him. It was a feeling the Jedi Master did not like at all.

?Young Obi-Wan, with you he is not?? Yoda asked suddenly, taking the tall Jedi Master completely off-guard. Why were they asking him about the boy? Wasn?t he sent to Bandomeer to start a career in Agri-corps? Why would Qui-Gon have him here at the Temple?

?No Master, he is at the Agri-Corps academy on Bandomeer where the Council sent him.? Qui-Gon stated in slight confusion, the feeling of wrongness in the Force grew stronger at his declaration.

?You did not choose him as an apprentice, despite the circumstances you both endured on the planet?? This time Mace Windu spoke up from beside the ancient master. He moved forward in his seat, his face deadly serious. At this point, the situation became clear to the Jedi Master standing in the middle of the room. He had been set up. Qui-Gon?s primary reason for being sent to Bandomeer was not for a mission, but to give him one last opportunity to accept Obi-Wan Kenobi as his Padawan, something that apparently this small portion of the Jedi Council had expected to have happen.

?I have told each and every one of you many, many times that I will not be taking another Padawan ever again. Granted, the boy was of a great help on the planet. His skills are admirable and he conducted himself in a manner that would make any Jedi proud; however, he was assigned to the service corps for a reason. So, no, I did not

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Yes, you should definitely keep going. I liked how you have the Council so mad at Qui-Gon for leaving Obi behind on Bandomeer. And Yoda isn't happy at all with him.

I look forward to seeing where you go with this. Good job. Please PM me with updates.

One thing, though. Have less ***** at the top. I have to scroll because of it. Thanks.

3. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    I love the story! :) You should keep writing!!!!

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A wonderful start! =D= Please keep writing, you're very talented! And welcome to the boards! [:D]

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Definetely a very interesting start here! Looking forward to see how you do the rest of it. Welcome to our humble abode :D [:D]

6. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Oh this is an AWESOME start! I just love the story line. Aha, Yoda walked out on Quigon, now I luved that part! Poor Obi-wan, being sent away yet again, much angst I foresee. Quigon better come to his senses for just throwing Obi away, but will the Council let him still train the boy?

I can't wait for more! Please, can you add me to the PM list?

7. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Great start =D= sounds like an interesting story!
    Keep on writing and update soon!

8. jedi_Irene

jedi_Irene Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2005
    Oh, great start. I hope there will be more soon. To tell the truth - I can't wait.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Welcome to the boards Lady_Ebony

Fascinating start here.

Loved that Qui-Gon questioned the Council playing with the emotions of a 12 y/o boy. He is right, is Obi-Wan was so important, they should have placed him with a Master then doing what they did.

I'd love to fllow this. Might I ask for a PM when you update?
    Might I also ask a favor? Edit out some of the ***** so we don't have to scoll to read. :D :D

10. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    I really like the beginning of this one! It's great! :)

11. ConStar

ConStar Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2004
    Hi Lady Ebony,

what a great start into what will hopefully become a very, very long story ;) . I especially like the way you describe Qui-Gon's discomfort at being "interrogated" by a few council members. I think deep down he knows that he made a mistake by leaving Obi-Wan on Bandomeer but in true stubborn Qui-Gon fassion will not admit it. And I understand where he comes from when he accuses the council of playing with the emotional wellfare of a young boy (not that he paid much thought to that himself on the trip to Bandomeer).

So, Obi-Wan is the Chosen One (he certainly would be mine if I had anything to say about it [face_love]) and it was the will of the force that he become Qui-Gon's padawan? And now he sits on Bandomeer thinking nobody wanted him because he was not good enough? My poor, poor boy! [:D] I surely hope for Qui-Gon's sake that my boy is well and ready to take his place on Qui-Gon's side. But then the story would be quiet short and I am such a sucker for good h/c stories..... so I hope for a long story with a little bit "h" followed by a lot of "c". I'm very much looking forward to your next post! [face_dancing]

12. yuna_kenobi

yuna_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    =D=

(not wordy but pure truth)

13. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Very nice beginning Lady_Ebony=D=

Trust Qui-Gon to get the will of the force all wrong
    but he is not the only one to blame.
    Serves Yoda and the rest of them right if
    Obi isn't on Bandameer when he gets there.

I can feel a great story coming along here
    terrific start.
    Can't wait for more if you start a PM list
    count me in
    Please.[face_dancing]

14. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Yes, by all means, this is definitely work pursuing. Please continue this. I LOVED this interaction...and how the Council was giving Qui-Gon the smackdown for his oblivity.

Thank you for sharing this. I look forward to any continuation that you'd like to provide.

15. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    The sheer arrogance of the Council is mind-boggling. Qui-Gon repeatedly tells them that he won't take another apprentice, and they're shocked that he sticks to it? And now they want to make him the scapegoat for their errors in judgment?

Frankly, "fool" applies to Yoda and the rest of the Council for their underhanded machinations. No wonder Yoda's stomping off like a spoiled brat. It's put up or shut up time - either he confesses all to Obi-Wan and grovels for forgiveness or lies to him about why the head of the Jedi Council shows up on Bandomeer in person to take him as a padawan.

As for the rest of the Council... "I do not believe we have to justify ourselves to you" - translation: we don't want to admit that we're dumb enough to not have a back-up plan in case you don't act like a good little Jedi.

I'd say the characterization of the Council is pretty accurate, but with Qui-Gon, there's one point I disagree with - describing his reaction to the Chosen One explanation as "utter disbelieving terror." Disbelief, yes. Terror? Nope. This is the guy who lives in the moment - why would he believe anything about prophecies? Or take whatever the Council says at face value, especially after pulling such a dumb stunt as they just did?

Interesting story you've got here going, Lady_Ebony. I'll be lurking around to see what comes next.

16. Lady_Ebony

Jan 23, 2006
    Obi-Wan Kenobi sat dejectedly on the small bed within his new living quarters at the Agri-Cops facility on Bandomeer, rolling his training saber slowly back and forth between his hands. He was in such a hurry to leave this place, to leave me, that he didn?t even take my saber as is protocol: the young would-be Jedi thought miserably of Master Jinn?s hasty retreat from the planet. Flopping down onto his back so that his legs dangled off the edge, Obi-Wan cradled his last link to the Jedi against his chest and closed his multihued eyes. For about the thousandth time in the last two days since Master Jinn?s departure, the youth questioned what he could have done differently to continue onto the path towards Knighthood. What defect was it within himself that made him unworthy?

A small, incessant beep jolted the boy from his sad thoughts. Blinking in bewilderment, it took Obi-Wan a moment to realize that it was his comm-unit that was alerting him. Rising quickly, and stuffing his saber under his pillow, he walked over to the wall unit next to his door.

?Kenobi,? the boy answered the page succinctly. The youth listened calmly as an upbeat sounding woman requested his presence at the front desk. Assuring the woman that he would be there momentarily, Obi-Wan ended the connection.

Turning back to his accommodations, which were really just a small, bare room with a bed, dresser, and desk; the ginger-haired boy retrieved his lightsaber and walked over to his dresser. Opening up the bottom drawer, the cast out Jedi wrapped his lightsaber in his old cloak, effectively hiding it. He did not want to have anyone finding out that he still had the saber. Call him sentimental, but he truly did not want someone taking it away from him: at least not yet. Something told the twelve-year-old boy that he would still need it somehow. Besides, to lose it now would be to lose his identity completely. For as long as he could remember, the youth knew he was going to be a Jedi. Now, Obi-Wan had no idea who he was, or what he was to become.

Content that his saber was concealed; Obi-Wan looked at his reflection briefly in the full length mirror next to his closet. A small discouraged moan passed through the boy?s lips as he took in his appearance in the drab grey jumpsuit that was standard issue in the Corps. He truly did not think he would ever get used to seeing himself in the uniform of a Farmer.

It just isn?t fair! Obi-Wan thought, fighting the urge to stomp his foot in frustration. How could the Force do this to him? He was destine for more than monitoring the growth of plants. Or, at least he had always thought so.

Shaking his head to rid himself of such thoughts, the new Corps member smoothed out some perceived wrinkles in his uniform before turning to leave the quarters. Obi-Wan kept his head ducked as he strode by fellow residents, not wanting to draw attention to himself. Luckily, since most of those here were rejected from the Jedi Order as well, no one tried to intrude on the boys request for solitude. They all knew that newly arrived members need time to adjust and come to terms with the life that had just been stolen from them.

After an uneventful trip, Obi-Wan walked up to the front desk of the corps building and looked up at the auburn-haired, portly woman sitting at the desk. He stood patiently awaiting to be acknowledged as the woman finished up a conversation with another Corps-member on the comlink. As soon as she was finished, she looked down at the small boy in front of her and smiled.

?Well, you must be Obi-Wan, considering I don?t recognize you.? She stated, placing her hands on her hips in a playful manner. From her voice, the youth knew that this was the woman he had spoken to just minutes before on the comm.

?Yes ma?am.? Obi-Wan confirmed her deduction with a slight bow. He was met with a musical laugh at that reaction.

?Child, we shall have to get something straight right away, I am not a ma?am!? The middle aged woman corrected good naturedl

17. Lady_Ebony

Jan 23, 2006
    Ok, now that the next post is up, I just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome! I truly did not expect to receive so many words of encouragement. It truly is appreciated! :D Hopefully, this post makes up for my lack of update here recently.

On another note, some of you asked to be put on a PM list; however, I don't know what that is or how it operates. So, if some kind soul could instruct me on what I need to do; I would be more than happy to do this in the future. Thanks again for the support. I hope you enjoy this post!

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ack! Though it is quite hard for me to read about poor, innocent, noble, (and the Chosen One?) young Obi-Wan being scooped up by Sidious, it is a very curious fork in the road indeed. And what will Qui-Gon do, not to mention Yoda when they find out? Do continue.

About PM lists. It's just a list of names of readers of your story. Every time you update a story, you send everyone on the list a PM (private message, available to send here on the boards to other members) notifying them about it. It's easy to miss things on the forum, especially for some who don't visit too often. I always paste in a link to the story as well.

There is a nifty little HTML tool described in the Resources forum
    here. It automates sending multiple PMs for you if you have more than a few names. Very handy.

19. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Nice chapter!
    Now Palpatine has the Chosen One - that's really an interesting turn. I wonder how the Jedi will react to this news [face_thinking]

20. Qui-GonJinn1

Qui-GonJinn1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2005
    Oh, Palpatine entered!

What a twist!
    I love it, it's amazing!

And Obi-Wan...the Chosen One?

Hmmm.....

21. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I am not a Sidious fan but he
    has done his homework,and I applaud
    him!=D=
    whereas the dumb and stupid
    Jedi Council
    Relied on Qui-Gon to bring
    Obi back.
    How silly can they be.[face_shame_on_you]

This is brilliant.=D=
    Good work Lady_Ebony

22. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    AAAAAK!! :eek: Not Palpatine!!

But I always thought thant Obi-Wan was the real chosen one! :D

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    OH, nicely done. =D= I, too, would like to be on a PM list.

Val

24. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    NO Dark Obi puhlease!!! Yoda!! You should have gotten there before Palpy!! You're getting slow in your old age, or does the "Dark side cloud everything". Gah, wonderful update! I can't wait to see what happens next!
    Hey if you've got a PM list, can I please be added to it? Thx

25. Lady_Ebony

Jan 23, 2006
    Hello again everyone. I apologize for the lack of update. I know it is hard to stay interested in a story when it is not updated frequently. That should not happen again! I hope you enjoy this chapter. Let me know what you think!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qui-Gon sighed for what seemed like the millionth time in the past two days since learning whom he had so carelessly cast aside. Placing his hands on his thighs, the tall Jedi closed his eyes. His meditations, if his attempts could even be called that, were not doing him any good. Not even being here, in his favorite secluded spot in the north gardens, was helping him to focus. Every time he attempted to fall into the warm embrace of the Force he would think of Obi-Wan?s heartbroken face, or hear the boy?s last pleas to be taken back to his rightful home, and his concentration would be gone.

Please Master Jinn, don?t leave me here!

The Jedi Master?s eyes snapped open, hearing the desperate appeal as though Obi-Wan was standing right beside him. Sighing yet again, Qui-Gon shifted from his meditative pose and sat with his legs outstretched before him, reclining back to rest on his elbows. This was getting ridiculous. He was a Jedi Master. This lack of control was truly inexcusable. How could it be that one boy was causing him this much distress? He had followed the will of the Force when he had left Obi-Wan on Bandomeer.

Hadn?t he?

Qui-Gon felt a rush of frustration flow through him, and he flopped back so that he was now lying sprawled on the grassy knoll he was occupying. Now he was questioning his faith in the Living Force. This self-depreciating behavior had to stop. He had made the right call on that Sith-forsaken planet. He had to keep telling that to himself. He was not meant to be Obi-Wan Kenobi?s Master. His denial of the boy had nothing to do with the wound he had taken to his heart when Xanatos had turned; contrary to what everyone else thought.

Keep telling yourself that Jinn and perhaps one day you?ll believe it, that incessant voice that some would call a conscious bitterly retorted to Qui-Gon. The Jedi Master actually smiled and shook his head ruefully as he caught onto the fact that he was berating himself inside his head. He truly was a mess. Why couldn?t Yoda just call and say he had the boy and was on his way back to the Temple? Then, Qui-Gon could go back to his normal routine and not have to fight all of these unwanted emotions he had been inundated with for the past couple of weeks since a boy named Obi-Wan Kenobi had entered his life.

Almost as if the Force was answering his call, Mace Windu came to stand at the top of the small hill the rogue Master was laying on. Looking down at his long-time friend, Mace quirked an eyebrow at the other Jedi?s position.

?I would have thought that if you had found a better form for meditation you would have had the courtesy to share it with your peers.? The Councilor quipped deadpan. Qui-Gon looked up at the seemingly upside-down man and gave a small smile.

?And why would I give up one of my best kept secrets?? Qui-Gon questioned rhetorically, just as straight-faced.

?Indeed,? Mace stated, crossing his arms; his face immediately going into what half the Temple called ?councilor mode?. ?Well, as loath as I am to interrupt your apparently productive meditation session, Master Yoda is making contact from Bandomeer and would like you to be there to hear what he has to say.?

Qui-Gon was on his feet before the dark-skinned Master finished. Climbing the small hill, he stood next to his long-time friend and proceeded to elegantly extend his left arm towards the entrance to the garden.

?By all means, lead the way. I am quite anxious to hear what Master Yoda has to say.?

?As am I.? Master Windu replied seriously as he took Qui-Gon?s advice and led the way back to his chambers. The journey was not very long; however, it was a tense trip in which no words were s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.